Author Topic: Shoud I give blue switch another chance? or it's just the crappy razer BWU  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Neo.X

Hi

The only blue switch I got is the BWU, it has the worst feeling when type on it. I have black, brown, red and topre switch keyboards, I love them all. But when type on this blue switch, I slow down a lot and fell very uncomfortable.

I heard that Razer actually change the blue switch a little bit, I am wondering if this is because the change. And should I get another decent blue switch keyboard, like filco, and give it a shot? or dont' bother.

Thanks for your help.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline ih8

Re: Shoud I give blue switch another chance? or it's just the crappy razer BWU
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:02:10 »
the black widow feels different for some reason from the das board I used to own and my rapid in blues right now

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:05:49 »
BWU keyboards are not made to the best quality - perhaps you are experiencing side-effects of this.

Or maybe MX blue switches are just not for you, especially if you like all the other switch types.

Personally I love both my keyboards with MX blues, and I have one with MX browns (for other reasons) on order, so I will be able to compare hopefully soon.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:09:58 »
If the Blue switch in BWU is the same as a Filco or DAS one, I think I won't bother to spend money to get one. But if Razer does change the switch, I'd like to give it a shot. Then I can have one more switch to play with.  :D :D

Offline neeb

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:10:11 »
BWU keyboards are not made to the best quality - perhaps you are experiencing side-effects of this.

Or maybe MX blue switches are just not for you, especially if you like all the other switch types.

Personally I love both my keyboards with MX blues, and I have one with MX browns (for other reasons) on order, so I will be able to compare hopefully soon.

I've never used a BWU but from what friends have told me and what I've read, they're pretty cheap feeling compared to more "high end" mechanical keyboard brands. I love my filco (with blue switches) but you may just dislike blue switches all together, or like others have said, it may be the BWU specifically =/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:14:42 »
AFAIK the switch is the same - but the quality and materials of manufacture can also have an impact on the feel of a keyboard.

If you can try a different keyboard with MX blues, do so and you might notice an immediate difference between that and the BWU.  I only tried a BWU very briefly, but I get teh vague feeling that it felt a lot lighter and cheaper than my Ducky Shines.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:18:15 »
AFAIK the switch is the same - but the quality and materials of manufacture can also have an impact on the feel of a keyboard.

If you can try a different keyboard with MX blues, do so and you might notice an immediate difference between that and the BWU.  I only tried a BWU very briefly, but I get teh vague feeling that it felt a lot lighter and cheaper than my Ducky Shines.

Yes, that's what I feel about the BWU, light and easy to make a typo. I think I will buy a Filco blue, and give it a try. If it ends up the blue is not for me, I can always sell it. I will get a yellowtop tenkeyless one, I guess they are popular and easy to sell   :D :D :D

Offline neeb

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:25:44 »

Yes, that's what I feel about the BWU, light and easy to make a typo. I think I will buy a Filco blue, and give it a try. If it ends up the blue is not for me, I can always sell it. I will get a yellowtop tenkeyless one, I guess they are popular and easy to sell   :D :D :D

Good plan, let us know how it goes man!

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:32:04 »
Yeah, the difference between brown and red is much greater than the difference between brown and blue.  Given what you like, I'm guessing you just aren't keen on the board. 

But if you hate the Filco, you can be pretty sure you just hate blues..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 21:38:52 »
the black widow blue feel a bit grindy, because the board flexes, and the keycaps are of such poor quality.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:12:29 »
Perceived feel of a switch can be affected by the keyboard's plate construction (or lack of plate), keycap quality, and even (in some cases) case solidness. It's certainly possible for a good switch to feel bad in a low-quality keyboard.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:16:54 »
I thought so.

The blue switch in BWU feels unconsistent. some kwys are easy to push, some are hard, like "e" , I always miss that one.

I know someone actually like BWU, so if anyone does, please PM me a price, I can sell mine to you at a low price. But I prefer trade in person, so you have to be in GTA, Canada, more precisely, close to Mississauga.  ;)

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 22:59:48 »
My blues on my Race any my blues on my BWU feel way different, the BWU blues feel much lighter. Dunno if they are modified, but there is definitely a difference.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:05:02 »
I have a QFR with blues and I agree with what everyone is saying about the blackwidow.  I went to fry's today to compare the other switches for a pure/race and the only thing with blues there was the BWU and the switches were completely different in terms of feel and sound.  They were so much less tactile that I had to triple check the box just to make sure.

You should find a QFR, it's nearly the same board as the filco and they've been anywhere from 50 - 80 bucks recently.

Cheapest I could find quickly - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid/dp/B0068INSUM
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:07:11 by tjcaustin »

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:37:56 »
Man, blues are the ****. Makes you feel so productive even when your just ****ing around. I had a friend with the BWU and it felt pretty sub par. Have you looked at WASD Keyboards? We just finished a group buy on them and we'll probably be running another one in the future. Really high quality Costar made products.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 07:54:48 »
Thanks all for the reply. Now I can tell that BWU does have some different blue switch. I decided to go for a yellowtop filco blue. It's more expensive than QFR though, I just love the feel of my other filcos.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:35:24 »
Trying a few different keyboards is a good idea - eventually you might find one that you absolutely love.  Then you can maybe sell a few of the others in Classifieds and recoup a reasonable part of your expense (and then go buy some custom key caps ;) )

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:22:37 »
I don't know too much about the Razer but I can tell you the difference between my mx blue leopold and my mx blue cherry G80 3000 is night and day.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:30:24 »
Ahhh man, I can't stand the black widow. I gave mine away for free, and I even ended up giving the person I gave it to a 1st gen rosewill to replace it because I couldn't stand letting him use it.
There is just something different and completely unsatisfying about it compared to other boards with blue switches. I thought it was just how blues were, so I got a board with browns and liked it a lot more. Then I got a filco with blue switches, and they because my favorites.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:56:02 »
I even ended up giving the person I gave it to a 1st gen rosewill to replace it because I couldn't stand letting him use it.

You are a good guy.  :D :D

I ordered one Filco blue, should get it next Monday. I will do a compare and post it here.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:59:24 »
Very nice! You'll enjoy it :D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:56:22 »
The blues switches in my filco and cm feel very different. Really love the feel of the filco with blues.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:08:27 »
I don't know too much about the Razer but I can tell you the difference between my mx blue leopold and my mx blue cherry G80 3000 is night and day.

Which one feels better?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:49:38 »
Probably the Leopold because it's plate mounted. Plate mounded always feel better to me. Just my opinion.

Offline R54

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:12:45 »
The only mechanical keyboard I have is a Das Keyboard Professional S, but I gotta say even just typing forum posts and the like, I really enjoy the blue switches. Unfortunately, it doesn't help anyone with grammar. I'd say try a Das or pretty much any of the other suggestions above my post.

Cheers!