Author Topic: Best way for someone w/o hardware experience to get into modding?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
Best way for someone w/o hardware experience to get into modding?
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 17:46:06 »
Keyboards as you can buy them and custom keycaps are all nice and cool, but I'd love to get a bit deeper into the whole modding / hardware shpere of keyboards.

Until now I only fiddled with keymaps, xorg-configs and stuff like that to remap keys ... generally informed myself about the software side of keyboards ...
now, after lurking a bit in the forums and irc and seeing/hearing about all the awesome stuff people here do, I really want to go deeper, get into that hardware stuff.

Only thing is: I have no experience whatsoever. I never soldered anything, have only basic understanding of electronics, etc.

Were would you advise me to start? What guides/tutorials/wik-pages/papers should I read? Are there great video tutorials?
And what about the practical aspect? Are there cheap mechanical keyboards a beginner can buy and play around with to get into modding?

Any input is appreciated! :)

Offline neeb

Re: Best way for someone w/o hardware experience to get into modding?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:16:49 »
Following this thread as I'm curious as well. I'm sooo jelly of all the cool stuff people on here do and I honestly don't even know where to try to start lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:33:19 »
What cool stuff. Most every one here are just fashion followers. Very few have actually come up with anything "original"

Offline neeb

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:44:06 »
What cool stuff. Most every one here are just fashion followers. Very few have actually come up with anything "original"

There's still a lot of people that do custom mods and different DIY stuff though

Offline sirtetris

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:55:17 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35572.0
10:45 < keebler> Working on doing a deadbug IBM Model M controller using an ATMEGA.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
12:10 < psycorama> i got two dead Model M. around. i'm trying to replace the electrical components. anyone got some ideas? :)
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/split-ergonomic-keyboard-project-t1753.html
16:04  * bhtooefr decides to continue uploading stuff from this selectric repair series to YouTube, I've been neglecting that for over a year

Dude ... it's like everywhere! :D
Well, just kidding. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm not into all that stuff and to someone who is all those thinks don't seem that cool — idk. Anyway: for me, for the moment even replacing the switches of a keyboard seems awesome. And I don't care that much about how original the stuff is that people do here. The things they do look awesome to me and I simply want to know where to start to get into all that.
I assume in the beginning all the things I'd do would also be stuff that others already did a lot of times and that isn't like special in any way. But hey ... I'm just interested and want to learn something. I guess there's no other way to maybe, someday, be in the position to come up with something original and awesome. You have to start small. ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 18:57:26 by sirtetris »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:28:22 »
I know how to solder thanks to my dad and Heathkits.  I don't know much about electronics that isn't what I would call 'obvious': resistor, capacitor, diode, switch, ...

Keyboard switch matrixes are dead simple and mostly all you end up learning while putting one together is how to use KiCad and the measurements of a standard keyboard layout.  The difficult part is integrating the MCU.  Easy way is to fit a teensy or similar, medium difficulty is to integrate the components that make up a teensy onto the same PCB, hard is doing that with an MCU that doesn't have a general purpose breakout schematic readily available.  Want to go extra hard, add more components like a USB hub, LED control of some kind or something else entertaining.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:46:42 »
Building a cmoy is a pretty good first project. Even if you don't need one, you can sell it on Head-fi or elsewhere for parts cost pretty easily.

Here's a good guide:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110724092159/http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

(for some reason tangentsoft is down right now. Good thing it's archived with pictures.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:06:24 »
Is that comic strip about soldering still around?

That was absolutely great, and really very useful and informative.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:10:15 »
Um, Google's first hit on soldering comic
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sirtetris

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 07:06:30 »
A lot of helpful input — thanks a lot! :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 08:19:40 »
IBM Model M/Fs are bulletproof and easy to take apart. With an F, you can move barrels and change the type and location of keys.

Another place to start is to cut off a number pad and get a smaller footprint, that is a popular and cheap experiment to "get your feet wet" before you tackle the really hard-core stuff.

I think that some of the "steam punk" gear looks awesome, but a lot of it seems goofy just for the sake of being goofy.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:41:54 »
IBM Model M/Fs are bulletproof and easy to take apart. With an F, you can move barrels and change the type and location of keys.

Another place to start is to cut off a number pad and get a smaller footprint, that is a popular and cheap experiment to "get your feet wet" before you tackle the really hard-core stuff.

I think that some of the "steam punk" gear looks awesome, but a lot of it seems goofy just for the sake of being goofy.

What are u using to cut the plastic.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 13:35:02 »
I used a hacksaw and Dremel, but if I do it again I will try my radial arm saw.

The epoxy job to hold the case together is hard to finish, because sanding it down is easy enough, but you are left with a smooth area instead of a textured finish.

Assuming that you will paint afterwards, it will hardly be noticeable if you do a good sanding job.