Author Topic: Question: Corsair K60 Modding  (Read 3066 times)

Offline boxjon

Question: Corsair K60 Modding
« on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 11:50:49 »
I currently use a Corsair K60 as my first official venture in mechanical keyboards. My first was some off brand which I think might have has some type of ALPS switches. Seemed to be a lot more clickier then this current one. Anyhow, I've noticed certain things that really bother me about this board. For starters, there seems to be some kind of repeating key issue where I'll be typing and either the keyboard will continue to type on its own, or it will erase everything that I typed so far. So, I was wondering if there are ways I can fix this and/or alter the board cosmetically a bit. Sometimes I do fing myself having to travel my fingers a lot to type and my hands are medium sized. Any recommendations are appreciated.

PS: The switches on this board are cherry mx reds, so I should be able to purchase keycaps that fit chery mx and be fine correct?

Thanks again.
Corsair K60 | Corsair M90

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Question: Corsair K60 Modding
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:13:59 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:03:53 by davkol »

Offline boxjon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:22:40 »
I currently use a Corsair K60 as my first official venture in mechanical keyboards. My first was some off brand which I think might have has some type of ALPS switches. Seemed to be a lot more clickier then this current one.
Cherry MX Red switches aren't clicky.

Anyhow, I've noticed certain things that really bother me about this board. For starters, there seems to be some kind of repeating key issue where I'll be typing and either the keyboard will continue to type on its own, or it will erase everything that I typed so far. So, I was wondering if there are ways I can fix this and/or alter the board cosmetically a bit. Sometimes I do fing myself having to travel my fingers a lot to type and my hands are medium sized. Any recommendations are appreciated.
I think this might be the firmware bug tp4tissue's mentioning all the time. link

PS: The switches on this board are cherry mx reds, so I should be able to purchase keycaps that fit chery mx and be fine correct?
Yes, if the key size matches (some modifiers, function keys etc. have different sizes or stabilizer mounting positions).

OK i'll have to check it out. As far as reds not being clicky I guess the noise I'm hearing is the bottom of the keycap hitting the  aluminium base. Makes more of clack noise then a click. The noise is still there though. I enjoy it. With these reds I don;t have to press the key all the way down to he base but that's just the way I type.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:36:35 »
I currently use a Corsair K60 as my first official venture in mechanical keyboards. My first was some off brand which I think might have has some type of ALPS switches. Seemed to be a lot more clickier then this current one.
Cherry MX Red switches aren't clicky.

Anyhow, I've noticed certain things that really bother me about this board. For starters, there seems to be some kind of repeating key issue where I'll be typing and either the keyboard will continue to type on its own, or it will erase everything that I typed so far. So, I was wondering if there are ways I can fix this and/or alter the board cosmetically a bit. Sometimes I do fing myself having to travel my fingers a lot to type and my hands are medium sized. Any recommendations are appreciated.
I think this might be the firmware bug tp4tissue's mentioning all the time. link

Yes, if the key size matches (some modifiers, function keys etc. have different sizes or stabilizer mounting positions).

OK i'll have to check it out. As far as reds not being clicky I guess the noise I'm hearing is the bottom of the keycap hitting the  aluminium base. Makes more of clack noise then a click. The noise is still there though. I enjoy it. With these reds I don;t have to press the key all the way down to he base but that's just the way I type.

Harroh...

Yea, sad to hear that you've fallen victim to Corsair's deplorable product release. These guys have no morals. There is no fix for the key sticking issue.

They promised to fix it 6 months ago, but haven't. I believe it has to do with the nkro matrix-ing they implemented over USB. For example the keyboard also have problems where certain key combinations would activate random keys "other" than the ones being pressed.

The sound of the clack is not generated by the key curtain hitting the aluminum.

You can reduce the key travel with o-rings, this is especially helpful on the REDS, but it does take away some of that satisfying key press feeling. You can use "hard" o-rings to retain the clack feel while reducing travel.

Now, in terms of bottoming out, for the raw ultimate speed technique, it actually REQUIRES bottoming out. But if you're just casually dabbling an essay, you may stick with your current flawed skills without losing anything.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:42:32 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:04:13 by davkol »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 12:59:40 »
for the raw ultimate speed technique, it actually REQUIRES bottoming out.
[citation needed]

sigh.... watch sean wrona's video in slow motion.

You can download his video with "easy youtube downloader firefox addon"

Then use MPC-HC to play it in slow motion

He types words in "Chords", and there is no time to "not bottom out"

Also, i've mentioned this before, but what's faster, running PAST the finish line, or running as fast as you can, but stopping at the line.

Answer? all the runners run WAY PAST the finish line. This is analogous to "bottoming out" as the key travels as far as possible as fast as possible

Offline boxjon

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:11:35 »
for the raw ultimate speed technique, it actually REQUIRES bottoming out.
[citation needed]

sigh.... watch sean wrona's video in slow motion.

You can download his video with "easy youtube downloader firefox addon"

Then use MPC-HC to play it in slow motion

He types words in "Chords", and there is no time to "not bottom out"

Also, i've mentioned this before, but what's faster, running PAST the finish line, or running as fast as you can, but stopping at the line.

Answer? all the runners run WAY PAST the finish line. This is analogous to "bottoming out" as the key travels as far as possible as fast as possible

This does make sense in a way.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 15:14:38 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:04:29 by davkol »

Offline boxjon

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 16:13:34 »
In a way. I wouldn't call it definitely right or anything like that. Mostly because that hypothesis assumes that runners pound.

However,  I thought this thread is meant for bashing Corsair.

Well, no I like my keyboard otherwise. I might be happier with a Ducky or Filco but again this is my first official mechanical board. I actually go the chance to try it out in store before I bought it. I purchased mine at COMPUSA. So far it's been working well other then random fits. I started the thread to address that issue and to see if there where any known mods, other then the obvious keycap replacement.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 19:18:39 »
In a way. I wouldn't call it definitely right or anything like that. Mostly because that hypothesis assumes that runners pound.

However,  I thought this thread is meant for bashing Corsair.

Well, no I like my keyboard otherwise. I might be happier with a Ducky or Filco but again this is my first official mechanical board. I actually go the chance to try it out in store before I bought it. I purchased mine at COMPUSA. So far it's been working well other then random fits. I started the thread to address that issue and to see if there where any known mods, other then the obvious keycap replacement.

See if you can take the board back to compusa, and get a refund.

If not, then you can call up corsair support and tell them about this issue. they Might even upgrade you to the K90, although the key repeat problem has also been reported on the K90...

But there's a chance for an upgrade, so why not.

And if you keep getting boards from them that has the repeat problem, you can actually request a refund from CORSAIR directly.

They know this is a prevalent problem.