Author Topic: Help deciding between two keyboards  (Read 2251 times)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
Help deciding between two keyboards
« on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:13:34 »
So right now I have the opportunity to get either a Ducky DK1087 with MX Blacks, or a Keycool 87 with MX Reds. If you guys were presented with this situation, which one would you pick? They'll cost me the same either way, and I'm not paying shipping or anything.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help deciding between two keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 17:14:44 »
I'd pick neither, and get a TKL quickfire rapid w/red from CM store + their 30% off coupon.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 17:23:26 »
Avoid Ducky 10xx series: the quality is not very good; certainly not nearly at the level of 90xx series keyboards.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:46:48 »
I'd pick neither, and get a TKL quickfire rapid w/red from CM store + their 30% off coupon.

That isn't one of my options, so I think not. I have the choice between getting one of the two from a friend, so a CM Storm is not on the roster.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:53:23 »
From what I've read, the keycool is probably better quality. I have experience with the CM QFR, and it is indeed excellent, especially the new ones.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:54:59 »
Keycool, plus it has reds which I like better than blacks.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 20:36:02 »
KeyCool +1

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 20:37:17 »
Keycool!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 23:19:52 »

That isn't one of my options, so I think not. I have the choice between getting one of the two from a friend, so a CM Storm is not on the roster.

Don't buy stuff from your friends just because they're your friends.. chances are if they're unloading garbage on you, they're NOT your friends.  >:D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 23:23:56 »
The real question no one's asked for how much?

I mean, if he's trying to unload a used board on you for 70-100 bucks?  Get a QFR with warranty for less money.

If he's making you buy him dinner one night? Go with the keycool.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 01:28:27 »
One big question is why?  Why is (s)he selling a good mechanical keyboard?

If the answer is not "got too many other keyboards", then worry ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 01:32:38 »
To answer the question about why they're selling it to me, and how much it costs: He's selling them because he's trying to get a GTX 660, and he JUST bought the boards, so he decided to get rid of them now before he grows attached.
And I'm buying it for $50.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 03:34:13 »
To answer the question about why they're selling it to me, and how much it costs: He's selling them because he's trying to get a GTX 660, and he JUST bought the boards, so he decided to get rid of them now before he grows attached.
And I'm buying it for $50.

the keycool for $50 or the ducky for $50

And your Avatar looks like Hitler.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 05:39:52 »
Fair enough, although my questions were more or less rhetorical.

Go the the KeyCool, I have not heard good things about the Duck (although later Ducky Shines and YoTD are fine).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xenon_chris

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 07:43:22 »

And your Avatar looks like Hitler.
[/quote]

Looks more like Edward Norton to my eyes.
Ducky Dragon/Browns

Offline maui

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 09:14:14 »
Avoid Ducky 10xx series: the quality is not very good; certainly not nearly at the level of 90xx series keyboards.
I have recently bought a 1087DK and the quality is just fine. Although I have no other mechanical keyboards to compare it with.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:32:47 »
Fair enough, although my questions were more or less rhetorical.

Go the the KeyCool, I have not heard good things about the Duck (although later Ducky Shines and YoTD are fine).

Psh, I wish he was selling me a YotD. D:

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:34:03 »

Looks more like Edward Norton to my eyes.

You are 100% correct, sir. I'm a huge Norton fan.