Author Topic: First mechanical keyboard  (Read 2235 times)

Offline flluxhie

First mechanical keyboard
« on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 15:52:24 »
Having always had membrane keyboards, when i first touched a mechanical keyboard (Razer black widow) i got surprised at how much better they are!
So i started searching for hours on the net, and i have been referred to this forum, for which keyboard to choose so here i am.
I have spent some time onto researching the switch types and having tried MX-blue i can for sure say that it is not my style.I having had low quality keyboards/mice i am used to putting more force, so when i tried the black widow it was very awkward and did not get used to it in 2 weeks time.
So when i went back to my keyboard i could just not get used to it and i can for sure say that i want a mechanical keyboard.
I took a look on mechanical switches and i can say that i prefer the MX black and red ones, also i am a moba player and i prefer a more "solid" feeling when i press the keys.
Could you recommend me some good mechanical keyboards suited for my type or just leave your opinion.
I am between steelseries 6gv2 meka g1

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: First mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:05:10 »
Cooler Master's mechanical keyboards for the cost are of higher durability, options, and quality per $$$ than the options you have listed.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 16:57:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you feel MX blues are too light, you will definitely feel the same about reds.

Also don't judge on the BlackWidow - although it looks pretty, the build quality is not quite up there with many of the others.  Many other keyboards will feel much more solid.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 17:12:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you feel MX blues are too light, you will definitely feel the same about reds.

Also don't judge on the BlackWidow - although it looks pretty, the build quality is not quite up there with many of the others.  Many other keyboards will feel much more solid.

NO need to put it lightly, everyone here believes the black widow is ultimate sh1t when it comes to quality construction.  Many of us have been raped hysterically by this black widow, going through 3+ boards, and only to have it break down months again later.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:20:19 »
I guess it depends on if you want full size or tenkeyless.

Full Size:  MEKA G1

Tenkeyless:  CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Though depends on where your region is you might have a harder time finding a MX Black Quickfire Rapid.  Though they're both made from the same factory so you don't have to worry about quality  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 18:54:44 »
I guess it depends on if you want full size or tenkeyless.

Full Size:  MEKA G1

Tenkeyless:  CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Though depends on where your region is you might have a harder time finding a MX Black Quickfire Rapid.  Though they're both made from the same factory so you don't have to worry about quality  :)

I'd get the WASDkeyboard over the TT meka G1, as I don't like audio passthrough cables, and the WASD has much better keycap options. (other than that, they are pretty much the same keyboard. It's a costar reference design, I believe.)

Offline flluxhie

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:21:43 »
Thanks everyone for your replies!Sorry if i am troubling you, but this will be my first purchase of a mechanical keyboard and as i am tight on budget i want to make a choice which i will not regret later.
I was about to go on an foolishly buy black widow, however once i tested it....i mean a feather feels more solid than that keyboard.Anyways i am looking for a full size keyboard.I tend to put more force than the one needed in keyboards so i really need a sturdy and solid feeling one, every time i pressed a key i had the feeling that it was gonna brake..really bad feeling.I also took a look at the quick fire rapid and pro they do look good ,but i cannot seem to find either in my country...

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:28:42 »
Thanks everyone for your replies!Sorry if i am troubling you, but this will be my first purchase of a mechanical keyboard and as i am tight on budget i want to make a choice which i will not regret later.
I was about to go on an foolishly buy black widow, however once i tested it....i mean a feather feels more solid than that keyboard.Anyways i am looking for a full size keyboard.I tend to put more force than the one needed in keyboards so i really need a sturdy and solid feeling one, every time i pressed a key i had the feeling that it was gonna brake..really bad feeling.I also took a look at the quick fire rapid and pro they do look good ,but i cannot seem to find either in my country...

Sounds like you might like Cherry MX Black switches... They require the greatest force to actuate in the MX range, but they are not usually recommended as a first mechanical keyboard. Also, if you're concerned about the feel of the keys, you might also want to purchase some new thick PBT keycaps, for example, to replace the caps on whichever board you choose.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:36:50 »
I'd go WASD for a full keyboard as well.  Prices are decent, the board is built solid and you can get your first set of keycaps at the same time.

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 16:40:05 »
Well I'm surprised if the cherry blues are too light of a force for you, that you havent considered a Buckling Spring board! It's by far my favorite feel, quite a bit of actuation force, but not too much. Unicomp will sell new ones if you don't feel like tracking down a used model M or anything.

Offline flluxhie

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 07:55:27 »
Thanks a lot i will take all of your recommendations into consideration, and hopefully i will pick a keyboard that will not disappoint me!

Offline Sinzz

First mechanical keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 14:01:21 »
Don't listen to the naysayers about MX Blacks! They are great switches and while they do require more force to press ALL the way down. They need minimal travel to actuate! It feels as if you barely need to press the keys and it responds! I rarely ever bottom down on Blacks and I love that.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 14:36:19 »
They need minimal travel to actuate! It feels as if you barely need to press the keys and it responds!

However, he'd mentioned that he prefers "a more solid feeling" when he presses the keys.

I'd second a Buckling Spring board. It doesn't get much more solid than that.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 17:19:17 »
They need minimal travel to actuate! It feels as if you barely need to press the keys and it responds!

However, he'd mentioned that he prefers "a more solid feeling" when he presses the keys.

I'd second a Buckling Spring board. It doesn't get much more solid than that.

Truth!