Author Topic: Cherry MX Green  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
Cherry MX Green
« on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 16:16:38 »
Does anyone have a board with MX greens? Or know of what manufacturers have models that come in MX greens? Also As I'm very curious about this switch type, if any of you do have boards, what exactly would you desribe them as feeling like? Are they fatigue inducing at all? I liked blues at first becaus of the feel but they are WAY too light for my hands, I always end up accidentally actuating key I dont mean to because of the low force required and though greens might be for me. If you have any links to what typing on them looks/sounds like as well, that would be greatly appreciated!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: Cherry MX Green
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 16:21:32 »
I used buckling springs for a while, so heavy switches have never really been a problem for me. They are basically harder blue.

I believe Ducky has a model with all green switches.

Edit: Late

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 16:47:08 »
You can mod one yourself. Just take the blue stems, and use springs from black, grey, or clear switches, depending on how stiff you want your spring. This results in "ghetto greens"

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 17:11:10 »
Hmm... thanks for that idea WhiteFire, quite interesting. As far as waiting for actual greens go, thanks for the reccomendations guys. I'll bet a CM board with greens would be pretty good quality, and Im unfamilliar with ducky and also hesitant to buy another fullsized keyboard, I'm kinda in this TKL phase =P Would be great if there was a company that let you customize your board switches with greens before ordering...

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 17:18:04 »
Carter: Can you confirm/deny that you are working on a limited edition CM Storm with Green Cherry switches?

I could tell you I am typing on one

Carter said that back on September 5th..
QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:04:18 »
You must have missed this thread. That said...it's only available in Taiwan, although that could just be temporary.

I agree about the lightness of a MX Blues. I think they feel rather light as well.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:11:54 »
You must have missed this thread. That said...it's only available in Taiwan, although that could just be temporary.

I agree about the lightness of a MX Blues. I think they feel rather light as well.

This is just silly, why would anyone want heavy keys..

When I BF3 it up for example, I usually have to HOLD at least 3 to 4 keys on the keyboard, shift run, strafe/left/right.   You add those up, 45x3, 135g of force. That's allota work...

If you play for 5-6 hours for example, wow sore fingers for sure...

LIGHTER the better.  Are there lighter springs than the BLUE/RED springs?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:28:34 »
Woah, how can someone have a different preference :P

time to man up and game on buckling springs. none of this MX red bull.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:42:03 »

When I BF3 it up for example, I usually have to HOLD at least 3 to 4 keys on the keyboard, shift run, strafe/left/right.   You add those up, 45x3, 135g of force. That's allota work...

I agree...for gaming. But for typing, I'd prefer a heavier, more tactile switch.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:49:44 »

If the keys are too light, you get lots of extra keypresses, which can really screw you up when typing or if the game action you have bound to the key next to the one you're trying to press has an action which cancels the action specified by the desired key. Also, a heavier spring provides more force for launching your finger off of a key quickly. Finally, if you have keys that are too light for you, it becomes more stressful to rest fingers that you're not using on keys, because there isn't enough support.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:49:01 »

I've been a gamer since I can remember and a PC gamer on again/off again through the years, but the last three, I've been very dedicated to PC gaming and I've always used my trusty buckling spring unicomp for gaming and my fingers never get sore. The lighter switches just feel frail to me and many times I need to type in game, and constantly screwing up on blues, to the point where taking the time to correct myself kills me, is bull honkey.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 16:10:18 »
Capitalistix, you should get a Model F 122-key terminal board and move some springs around to get a near ANSI layout.

With Soarer's converter, you could have NKRO and an ergonomic situation that feels normal and modern.

And since you already have an XT, you know that there is nothing like the exquisite feel of a Model F capacitive switch.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:05:29 »
Where could I get one of these converters you speak of?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:12:15 »
You build it or have someone build it for you,  here's the thread:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:17:27 »
greeeeeeeeen

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 07:53:03 »
greeeeeeeeen

Seriously, I'd be all over a QFR with greens. I just hope that if you guys do something with greens, there is a TKL option.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:42:49 »
greeeeeeeeen

Seriously, I'd be all over a QFR with greens. I just hope that if you guys do something with greens, there is a TKL option.
I put greens in my 7bit  phantom plate. Too bad I ran out of teensy's before I could decide which plate (ANSI or 7bit) to use with my 1 PCB.

There are. Sherryton will sell you some.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:12:21 by dorkvader »

Offline Viz

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:52:27 »

FYI: I played CPMA all day long with an model M! And I had no problems.
Personal preferences!