Author Topic: How to rinse Cherry Blue keyboard?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline aegrotatio

How to rinse Cherry Blue keyboard?
« on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:40:37 »
I drenched my Cherry Blue keyboard with diet cola and it's pretty much not clicky on many keys.  The circuits are fine though.  Since it's otherwise ruined, I wonder if anyone knows what sort of solvent I can try to rinse this keyboard in?
Thanks.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Re: How to rinse Cherry Blue keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:46:41 »
Rinsing it wont work. I did the same thing with my first mechanical keyboard. I put mine in the dishwasher, soaked it in the tub, sprayed it with a pressure washer, and some other things. The keyboard still worked, but nothing made the switches clicky again. You're gonna have to desolder every switches and clean them out individually. It sounds crappy, but that's the only way to do it. : (

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 10:41:16 »
If the contaminant was water-based, water will be the best thing to flush it out with. Unfortunately, "flush" implies a "through" motion and you are looking to clean out, among other things,  the interiors of a bunch of tiny nearly-closed boxes.

Adding some sort of soap is great for getting rid of the dirt, but adds even more dramatically to the rinsing problem.

Getting all the residue rinsed away is, for all practical purposes, impossible.

To use a really bad pun, you are hosed.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 11:06:49 »
I've never had to deal with this problem before, but I would probably try soaking it for a few days in water, while actuating the keys every now and then while it's submerged. In theory, if you can get water into all the spaces, the soda should dissolve if you gave it enough time. A month of soaking? haha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:30:54 »
Not really, if it was drenched then it's pretty much an ex-keyboard.

You can try alcohol-based solvents, but the only way to be sure, especially with MX blues, is to replace the switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 20:36:38 »
If you're going to get rid of it, can i have it? :P

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 00:55:02 »
If you're going to get rid of it, can i have it? :P

or me :D

I can make it click just as much or a little more than mx browns.

look up Deoxit F5 and D5(D5 is good for cleaning)

If you want to wash it don't use water based solvents( I heard distilled water worked though)

When you are cleaning it just make sure you don't let the contacts rust or use a solvent that would melt your plastic.

If all else fails Just mail it to me :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 02:02:51 »
My god people, have some self-respect... You're all acting like a bunch of Bums..

Offline 1Ferdi

• i am the catman
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:29:50 »
I did a similar thing to my Das with blues but with beer. Not sure how much i damage i did (smelled lovely + sticky switches) but i disassembled it and soaked the pcb in a bowl of ethyl alcohol while pushing the board down to actuate the switches several times. After letting it dry, i reassembled everything and it worked like a charm again except for one switch which feels a lot lighter than the others. It does click though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:26:01 by 1Ferdi »
Daily: Realforce 87U 45g uniform EK Edition
Filco TKL
Steelseries 6gv2 | G80-1501HAD | IBM Model M '91 Gray Label
Filco MJ2 | Noppoo Choc Mini | Das Ultimate S | G80-1000LFADE

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:53:06 »
I did a similar thing to my Das with blues but with beer. Not sure how much i damage i did (smelled lovely + sticky switches) but i disassembled it and soaked the pcb in a bowl of ethyl alcohol while pushing the board down to actuate the switches several times. After letting it dry, i reassembled everything and it worked like a charm again except for one switch which feels a lot lighter than the others. It does click though.

Light is good! It gives your keyboard character and the satisfaction of having a different feeling board!  :D
SmallFry! <3

Offline 1Ferdi

• i am the catman
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 05:46:08 »

Light is good! It gives your keyboard character and the satisfaction of having a different feeling board!  :D

That's the way i see it, just glad it wasn't ruined :D
I would have gotten me some nice mx clears as replacement instead i guess.
Daily: Realforce 87U 45g uniform EK Edition
Filco TKL
Steelseries 6gv2 | G80-1501HAD | IBM Model M '91 Gray Label
Filco MJ2 | Noppoo Choc Mini | Das Ultimate S | G80-1000LFADE

Offline MechKey

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:46:04 »
Rinsing it wont work. I did the same thing with my first mechanical keyboard. I put mine in the dishwasher, soaked it in the tub, sprayed it with a pressure washer, and some other things. The keyboard still worked, but nothing made the switches clicky again. You're gonna have to desolder every switches and clean them out individually. It sounds crappy, but that's the only way to do it. : (

Rofl.  Pressure washer.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:03:12 »
What kind of board or, more specifically, switch mounting type are we talking about?

PCB-mounted switches can be taked apart rather easily (even with a single small flat blade screwdriver; it's fairly quick once you get the hang of it). Drop switch tops and sliders in sopy water, put spring aside, swab out switch bottom using same water. Washing the PCB may not be a bad idea either, though at least Diet Coke shouldn't contain quite as much sugar that would turn into nasty acids easily. (Whether I would drink too much of the stuff is another matter. The daily dose of sweeteners like aspartame is probably best kept as low as possible.)

With plate-mounted switches, you are in fact screwed and would have to go the rather tedious desoldering route as outlined above.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D