Author Topic: Filcolessness  (Read 4597 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Filcolessness
« on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 00:11:52 »
I just found out that AusPCMarket cannot supply the yellow Filco I have had on back order since August :(

I wanted a TKL with MX browns and some sort of yellow theme.  The one formerly on order had yellow keys.  The alternative (more expensive at the time) was a Ducky YoTD with MX browns and yellow LEDs.

Now I can either get a (cheap, for Australia) CoolerMaster QFR with MX blacks (which is not exactly what I wanted) and a complete set of yellow key caps from WASD for a total cost slightly more than the Filco was originally.  But this has MX blacks and is not Filco.

Or I could get the aforementioned Ducky YoTD from the current GB (assuming there are any left by now).

I'm kinda split, but leaning towards the Ducky (which would make my collection consist of three Duckys).  Although it would have been nice to try a Filco, there are none with a yellow theme left, unless I pay full price for a plain black TLK Filco and pay the extra for yellow key caps.

Anyone got any comments (especially about the QFR)?  For example is it overwhelmingly better than the YoTD?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Caaaarrrt

Re: Filcolessness
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 05:59:17 »
Can't comment on the Ducky YoTD, but I have both a Filco and a QFR, they are both great boards.

In your position I would go for the Filco with browns over the QFR with blacks, mainly because I prefer browns.

I would get the Filco over the Ducky too, just because I'm not fussed on backlighting.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline MechKey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:48:57 »
Get a Coolermaster Quickfire.  GREAT keyboard!

Offline chrono000

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:31:58 »
Yeah, I also had trouble with the site and there is a huge freaking 2 month delay on my ninja keyboard. I ended up canceling and going with keyboardco even though it cost more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:32:08 »
I just found out that AusPCMarket cannot supply the yellow Filco I have had on back order since August :(

I wanted a TKL with MX browns and some sort of yellow theme.  The one formerly on order had yellow keys.  The alternative (more expensive at the time) was a Ducky YoTD with MX browns and yellow LEDs.

Now I can either get a (cheap, for Australia) CoolerMaster QFR with MX blacks (which is not exactly what I wanted) and a complete set of yellow key caps from WASD for a total cost slightly more than the Filco was originally.  But this has MX blacks and is not Filco.

Or I could get the aforementioned Ducky YoTD from the current GB (assuming there are any left by now).

I'm kinda split, but leaning towards the Ducky (which would make my collection consist of three Duckys).  Although it would have been nice to try a Filco, there are none with a yellow theme left, unless I pay full price for a plain black TLK Filco and pay the extra for yellow key caps.

Anyone got any comments (especially about the QFR)?  For example is it overwhelmingly better than the YoTD?

Get a quickfire rapid, CHERRY MX RED. it's pretty much already completely black except for the logo on the "back side"

THEN Buy yellow key caps from WASD keyboards. They are actually MORE yellow than the filcos.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:37:21 »
Get a Leopold!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:49:36 »
Get a Leopold!

yea, but they no got the yellow keycaps... or the costar stabilizers.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:59:37 »
I like the Quickfire Rapid and mx black, but if you prefer brown, get brown. You're paying a lot for a very niche item, so you might as well get exactly what you want. The Quickfire Rapid is very similar to Filco keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 17:50:15 »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions :)

Basically I was looking for a non-Ducky TLK with or without backlighting but with a yellow theme, and around $150.

The Filco with yellow key caps which is apparently no longer available was $154 (all these prices include postage).

The Ducky YoTD with yellow backlighting is $160.

The QFR is $102 + yellow WASD key caps $57 so the total is $159.

But the QFR has MX blacks (browns do not seem to be available), and I'd have a slight preference for backlighting over yellow key caps, so unless there was a particularly compelling reason to get the QRF with blacks instead of browns then I would probably be going for the YoTD.  I've also just noticed that the QFR has a "rubber coated keyboard surface", which kinds puts me off a bit more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 17:56:18 »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions :)

Basically I was looking for a non-Ducky TLK with or without backlighting but with a yellow theme, and around $150.

The Filco with yellow key caps which is apparently no longer available was $154 (all these prices include postage).

The Ducky YoTD with yellow backlighting is $160.

The QFR is $102 + yellow WASD key caps $57 so the total is $159.

But the QFR has MX blacks (browns do not seem to be available), and I'd have a slight preference for backlighting over yellow key caps, so unless there was a particularly compelling reason to get the QRF with blacks instead of browns then I would probably be going for the YoTD.  I've also just noticed that the QFR has a "rubber coated keyboard surface", which kinds puts me off a bit more.

Go here.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

Oh, wait, are you actually in "Australia"

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:39:43 »
You've already got two Ducky's so I'd say try something different and go for either a Filco or the QFR.

The Filco Yellow seemed really cool at first to me too but since the thin ABS key caps tend to wear more quickly than doubleshots or PBT, I'd probably end up switching the key caps out anyway. So the only other thing that really makes it different from another Filco is that it has yellow leds for the locks.

What would be the total cost you to get a standard black Filco w/ brown switches and then yellow key caps from WASD. That would be essentially the same thing as the yellow Filco but you'd have blue leds for the locks.

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:43:23 »
Go here.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

Oh, wait, are you actually in "Australia"

hahaha yes "We only ship to US and Canada Only." - that happens a lot.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:50:11 »
You've already got two Ducky's so I'd say try something different and go for either a Filco or the QFR.

That's exactly why I wanted to try a non-Ducky keyboard.

The Filco Yellow seemed really cool at first to me too but since the thin ABS key caps tend to wear more quickly than doubleshots or PBT, I'd probably end up switching the key caps out anyway. So the only other thing that really makes it different from another Filco is that it has yellow leds for the locks.

Unless it turned out that I really, really liked the browns over blues, this keyboard would end up on my games machine and get used only a little bit on the weekends, so key cap wear is not a significant concern.

What would be the total cost you to get a standard black Filco w/ brown switches and then yellow key caps from WASD. That would be essentially the same thing as the yellow Filco but you'd have blue leds for the locks.

As above, about the same price as just the Filco or just the YoTD (somewhat mixing AU$ and US$, although I believe they are about the same these days).

Ok then, considering the QFR, two questions arise:

1. Why is this $85 whereas the equivalent Filco is $139, or a Leopold (don't want one, btw) is $120.  Why so cheap?

2. I have an old Link terminal keyboard with MX black switches, and I actually quite like typing on it, but it hails from 1988.  How do those older MX blacks compare with the MX blacks of today?

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:33:05 »
Filco's are more expensive here anyway because they've got to be imported into the UK from Taiwan and then imported here as well, so I guess there's a big markup. I mean, the QFR is marked up higher in Australia than it is here as well.  However, I've owned a QFR with blue cherry mx and it has the same build quality as a Filco. You wouldn't notice the difference between the two. They're both great keyboards, but if you're going to get the QFR, I'd get the one with red switches because I like the all black better than the grey look. Also red switches are nice if you haven't tried them, although I personally like blues better.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Filcolessness
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:45:18 »
QFR is only available for me at that price with MX blacks :(

It would be used for maybe 95% gaming, and I have the impression that blacks would suit me better than reds.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:58:05 »
In the US, QFR costs $55 new, I've seen as low as $53.  A refurbished one is $50 from the CM store. 
Filcos cost more because people are willing to pay more for them. 
Used Filcos in the US go for about $65-$110.  New ones go for $140-$150.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:15:45 »
Rowdy, I might be able to proxy the QFR  for you if we can figure out if it'd be cheaper with shipping to Australia to go that route. I've got Shoprunner with newegg and Prime with Amazon so I can get it quickly to me. I can then ship it to you. :))

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:16:44 »
Oh same could be done with WASD key caps although that will slow shipping as I have to wait longer to receive them from WASD.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:34:12 »
QFR is only available for me at that price with MX blacks :(

It would be used for maybe 95% gaming, and I have the impression that blacks would suit me better than reds.

Ah... NOooooooo....   Here's why,  The Cherry MX black is 80g of force to "hold it down"  Now add up 3 keys which you usually have to "hold during gaming" like "run" "forward" "strafe"

Thats 240g of force that you have to HOLD DOWN constantly.... It's alot more work than MX-red @ 60g x 3 = 180g

Doesn't sound like a huge difference, but trust me, it' is.....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:43:39 »
^ An interesting point.  My fingers are fairly strong, but unless alternative arrangements can be made, I can only get a QRF with blacks at this price.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:46:14 »
Rowdy, I might be able to proxy the QFR  for you if we can figure out if it'd be cheaper with shipping to Australia to go that route. I've got Shoprunner with newegg and Prime with Amazon so I can get it quickly to me. I can then ship it to you. :))
Oh same could be done with WASD key caps although that will slow shipping as I have to wait longer to receive them from WASD.

Would you be able to do a quick calculation to see what that would cost please?

Sourcing the keyboard locally and the full 87 key cap set from WASD comes to around $159 (mixing $AU and $US, so I'm using that as a rough estimate).

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 22:08:10 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com ships internationally and they have the QFR with all switch types.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 23:26:59 »
I spend like 6+ hours a day gaming on mx blacks, and they feel fine to me.  I've tried the reds and thought they were too light.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 23:58:38 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com ships internationally and they have the QFR with all switch types.

They have the keyboard for $78, and then add nearly $50 shipping *sigh*

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 00:34:14 »
If you are wanting a QFR with reds, it looks like these guys have it in stock... http://www.cplonline.com.au/keyboards/keyboards/coolermaster-quickfire-rapid-cherry-red-mechanical-keyboard.html

About the only place I could find in Aus that did... I have never bought from them before, so I'm not sure how they are to deal with though.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 00:41:02 »

They have the keyboard for $78, and then add nearly $50 shipping *sigh*

Wow, I had no idea it would be that much! :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 02:32:45 »
If you are wanting a QFR with reds, it looks like these guys have it in stock... http://www.cplonline.com.au/keyboards/keyboards/coolermaster-quickfire-rapid-cherry-red-mechanical-keyboard.html

About the only place I could find in Aus that did... I have never bought from them before, so I'm not sure how they are to deal with though.

TBH I haven't done a search for QFR yet, just had a quick look at PCCG (which is about 10 minutes down the road from where I live, but too far away for pickup from work during business hours).

We (at work) bought a GB switch from CPL recently, I had no idea they sold mechanical keyboards.  Actually I'm slightly more tempted for blacks over browns, despite tp4tissue's comments above, as I tend to bottom out these blues all the time.  I keep getting the impression that I would not like the reds, although browns have the same force as reds albeit with tactile feedback.

I notice that CPL has the QFR with blacks too.  For $3 les than PCCG (or $20 less, if you include postage from PCCG and pickup from CPL).

So now if I pickup QFR w/blacks from CPL for $82 and yellow keys from WASD for $57, the total is $139 :)

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 02:39:30 »
That sounds like a pretty good plan to me, hope you will enjoy your new board!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 02:48:15 »
Yeah, its looking that way.  Might have to give them a ring on Monday.

I think I convinced myself to go browns because both other keyboards I was looking at had browns.  But I am gradually convincing myself blacks would be nice too (based partly on this old terminal keyboard with MX blacks on it that I have always liked).

It is all a learning experience :)

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 05:25:10 »
Yeah, you will probably end up getting a different one with browns eventually anyway :)

Offline arktec12

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 05:27:53 »
I bought my QFP for $60 BN (I'm in Canada), but mine are MX blues. When I bought it (end of 2011), only reds and blues were available, I wasn't aware they made a MX black version.
For that price it's the best keyboard, and I even say so for sub$120 keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 06:34:55 »
Yeah, you will probably end up getting a different one with browns eventually anyway :)

Yep, sad, isn't it ;)

I bought my QFP for $60 BN (I'm in Canada), but mine are MX blues. When I bought it (end of 2011), only reds and blues were available, I wasn't aware they made a MX black version.
For that price it's the best keyboard, and I even say so for sub$120 keyboards

It does seem surprisingly cheap, but so far no-one has really said anything against it.  The low cost helps, as I'll be getting a set of custom key caps anyway.  Actually having looked at a few pictures of the QFR, I really don't like the legend font.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 07:04:13 »
Rowdy, just sent you a pm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:02:11 »
Replied, thanks :)

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 02:45:45 »
Just buy my Filco w blues? :D
Poker
QFR

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:15:34 »
Thanks, but I've got too many blues already ;)

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 05:30:45 »
I do kind of miss my Filco...
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 14:05:33 »
My other half ordered a CM QFR for me yesterday - it seems that my state of Filcolessness is going to persist for some time to come.