Author Topic: WASD Keyboards query  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Seltox

WASD Keyboards query
« on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 04:29:18 »
Hey, it's been a while since I posted here!

Anyway, i'm looking into getting my second mechanical keyboard (Ducky Shine right now, MX browns) and I wanted to get one of the WASD keyboards for that awesome personal experience.  Considering I spend so much time with my keyboard, I really want it to feel like mine.  I'm also going to get linear switches in it, but haven't decided between blacks or reds yet..  I'm leaning toward reds, but am unsure about how 'light' they are (I have nowhere nearby I can try them out) - how light do the reds actually feel compared to my browns?

Anyway, onto the actual stuff about WASD.

I'm aware that the V2 is on its way, but I can't find any info about it except that its on the way.  Does anyone here happen to know what sort of difference it will have compared to the V1, and what sort of timeframe for its release (before Christmas? :D)

How does the custom art option work?  Like, what's the process you do for that (individual keycaps.. I personally can't do much art stuff so doing an entire design is out of the question).  Can you see the images on your keyboard before your order the keyboard itself?

Media keys!  I can't live without my media keys, so I was wondering if anyone knew the easiest way to create macros or whatever for it.

Thanks in advance,
Seltox.

Offline jeroplane

Re: WASD Keyboards query
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 04:49:24 »
Reds have the same actuation force as Browns, if that is any indication. If you're used to, and like, the lightness of Browns, Blacks will probably be too heavy for you.

Can't comment on the V2, but with the custom art you have to upload the images yourself. You can view the images on their custom keyboard designer, but you cannot see them on a physical keyboard as they are only made after payment.

In terms of creating macros, AutoHotkey seems to be one of the most popular applications.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 08:19:26 »
I use browns exclusively and recently picked up a board with reds for other reasons... They are very similar in the feel of key pressure, but very different without the brown tactility.  I don't like them.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:34:57 »
Go play with the WASD keycap designer.  It is easy, and once you choose colors and legends, they shoot laser beams at keycaps and assemble them right there in their assembly area in California..  I've been there and seen it in action.  Efficient and fast.  Also I agree; go with Browns and don't wait for V2.

Re media keys, here is what I do:

1) Replace the PrtScr, ScrLock, and Pause keycaps with custom ones from WASD that have words or symbols for Mute, VolDown, and VolUp.
2) Remap those three useless keys (to me anyhow) as Mute, Volume Up, and Volume Down with:
Windows: Auto Hot Key
Linux: Xmodmap

Auto Hot Key is free, and I can post the remap script if you want it.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:42:22 »
For the V2 they say "before the end of the year", so it's a bit vague.  But what V2 is basically they're going to have a full size and tenkeyless version, also have backlit option.  But the backlit version won't have customization options, so I'm guessing you're stuck with white LED and black keycaps.  Whether or not the case will look the same is currently unknown, but I have a feeling it might be.

As for the brown and red debate.  Personally I bought a das brown first then later on got a filco red.  I like both switch equally and I've own both for about 3 months now.  Red and brown uses the same spring but due to not having the tactile bump, red feels slightly lighter.  Though I can see why red is kind of a love and hate switch, some people will get used to it some might not.  Overall I like brown a bit better for typing and red a bit better for gaming.

I do know a few people that likes red the best so I'd say definitely give it a shot to see if you'll like it or not.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Seltox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 09:48:57 »
Oh my god, thanks heaps for the Linux one :P  I dual boot (Windows is for games) and spent a while looking for a remap thing for Linux.

I do actually use printscreen, but far less often than the media keys, so I guess I could make it a Function key or something.

About the browns though, I already have browns and wanted to try a linear key, considering heaps of people are all like "Linear keys are better for gaming" or something, plus i'd just like to have the option :).  So it really is a choice between the blacks or reds.. Or at least blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:52:30 »
Is the word "Query" making a return?   Cuz it's shorter than "Question" although it's just as long when verbalized.

Offline Seltox

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:59:45 »
Is the word "Query" making a return?   Cuz it's shorter than "Question" although it's just as long when verbalized.

Haha, it probably has something to do with the fact I recently wrote a bunch of SQL >_>  I hate SQL..

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 14:14:00 »
Oh my god, thanks heaps for the Linux one :P  I dual boot (Windows is for games) and spent a while looking for a remap thing for Linux.

I do actually use printscreen, but far less often than the media keys, so I guess I could make it a Function key or something.

About the browns though, I already have browns and wanted to try a linear key, considering heaps of people are all like "Linear keys are better for gaming" or something, plus i'd just like to have the option :).  So it really is a choice between the blacks or reds.. Or at least blues.

Here are the media keys I use.  (These particular ones are for a Model M, but I use the same or similar for MX keyboards.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Seltox

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 21:25:41 »
I heard from Weyman that the V2 isn't due out until Feb/Mar 2013, so i'm just going to get the V1.

And I got AutoHotkey set up and working :D

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:52:23 »
I have to say, having a browns and reds board I think for gaming the reds are better because the tactility of the browns can be not needed and kind of in the way. But I think I type with better rhythm and flow with the browns, and get fewer typos. Although I'm typing on reds right now, and if you're not trying to get over about 80 words per minute, they glide :D
i type, therefore i geekhack