Author Topic: Review I found on the BlackWidow - your thoughts?  (Read 24352 times)

Offline Xplaced

Review I found on the BlackWidow - your thoughts?
« on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:20:54 »
I see a lot of folks "dis" Razer keyboards a lot, so I did some research on them to see what the deal is. I own a BlackWidow Expert, and I haven't ever had any issues out of it and wondered if I'm an oddity or something. :)

Anyway, I found this review on Overclock.net about the board: http://www.overclock.net/t/882561/review-razer-blackwidow-ultimate

The reviewer gave it a really good rating, and did a very thorough break-down of the board. They took it apart and everything. I'm wondering if you guys have seen this before. If not, please take a look. If you have, let me know what your thoughts are, if this review changes your mind about Razer (or this board) at all, or if you still hate them, etc.  ;D

I am kind of impressed after seeing that review, and so was the reviewer it looks like. So, I''m interested in your opinions here since you guys seem to be more of a Costar crowd, where I think the Razer board is iOne, right?

Anyway, just interested in the community thoughts on this review. If this has been posted before somewhere I'm sorry - I'm relatively new here.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Review I found on the BlackWidow - your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:25:10 »
Surely does looks like a nice hardware, I mean, just look at a comparison between an Costar made keyboard's hardware (Das Keyboard Model S) and this iOne Razer Blackwidow.

Wow, and they even cost the same! Props up for Razer, really...
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:27:03 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:39:57 »
Well razer blackwiddow (expert) is the cheapest mechanical keyboard on the market (in terms of "gaming" product")  .

I satisfied using it for 1 year. I use it mainly for gaming and typing ,but there are several problems i faced with blackwiddow (since its known to its bad quality i expect this to happen anyway).

The build quality of the keyboard is fine for me , but the main cause of the problem is the wire connector. Since i travel alot  to LANs, i have to  warp the wire around the keyboard. The wire itself its very thin thought.... i would be happiest man on planet if i got MEKA G1 instead. Because of the wire cord (is like 1.1cm thicknes)...

sry for my bad english thou.. :S

Offline wetto

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:46:45 »
I don't even know why gamers would pay for a Razer Blackwidow if they can buy for the US$ 120 range:

1. Cooler Master Trigger (which has 4 different models, with different Cherry MX switches each) which is made by Costar.
2. Thermaltake Meka G-Unit, also made by Costar.
3. Filco Majestouch-2, also made by Costar.
4. Ozone Strike (this one isn't cheap in the US, but is cheap in Europe and other countries) which is made by Costar.
5. Thermaltake Meka G1, also made by Costar.

So, there isn't a lack of options better than the Blackwidow, but why do people buy it? Appearance's sake and due to the Razer logo.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Xplaced

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:47:12 »
Surely does looks like a nice hardware, I mean, just look at a comparison between an Costar made keyboard's hardware (Das Keyboard Model S) and this iOne Razer Blackwidow.

Wow, and they even cost the same! Props up for Razer, really...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I don't know you very well. :) Plus this is the internet. Could you clarify what you meant? I'm no expert at looking at the boards, so sorry if it's obvious to everyone else because it isn't to me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:54:43 by Xplaced »

Offline Xplaced

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:51:46 »
I don't even know why gamers would pay for a Razer Blackwidow if they can buy for the US$ 120 range:

1. Cooler Master Trigger (which has 4 different models, with different Cherry MX switches each) which is made by Costar.
4. Ozone Strike (this one isn't cheap in the US, but is cheap in Europe and other countries) which is made by Costar.

So, there isn't a lack of options better than the Blackwidow, but why do people buy it? Appearance's sake and due to the Razer logo.

You keep saying "Costar made". But I don't get why that's better. I've asked that before on here, and I didn't get any real answers, so I'm wondering if you could elaborate? What sources do you have, etc.? Is there a link already on this forum that you could point me to that would explain which is better than the other and why?

I'm not trying to stick up for Razer, so don't get me wrong. I just really don't get why folks bash them so hard when I've had one for a year + and it's worked fine and feels good. I have two QuickFire Rapids and I'm trying to decide which one to keep, but I can't tell that they are any better build than the Razer just by using them.

Also, the xpensive Razer is backlit (the Ultimate). I think that is what adds to the price of $140, since the Expert model (older model, not 2013) is only $70 now in some stores. That's the one I have btw. You can get the "old" version for close to $100 now though with backlighting, which at that price point isn't too bad. I do agree that Razer is overprice on their Ultimate line though. $140 is so expensive!

I'm trying out a BlackWidow Ultimate 2013, and I am going to return it. It is a great board, but I don't like it enough more to keep it for the price vs the Rapids. It isn't a quality thing though, for sure. I sure do love that backlighting though. The thing is so loud though that my wife would never be around me when I use it. Ha!  ;D For some that might be a good thing, but we just got married recently so I want to keep her around a little longer.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 11:54:14 by Xplaced »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:38:22 »

You keep saying "Costar made". But I don't get why that's better. I've asked that before on here, and I didn't get any real answers, so I'm wondering if you could elaborate? What sources do you have, etc.? Is there a link already on this forum that you could point me to that would explain which is better than the other and why?

I'm not trying to stick up for Razer, so don't get me wrong. I just really don't get why folks bash them so hard when I've had one for a year + and it's worked fine and feels good. I have two QuickFire Rapids and I'm trying to decide which one to keep, but I can't tell that they are any better build than the Razer just by using them.

Also, the xpensive Razer is backlit (the Ultimate). I think that is what adds to the price of $140, since the Expert model (older model, not 2013) is only $70 now in some stores. That's the one I have btw. You can get the "old" version for close to $100 now though with backlighting, which at that price point isn't too bad. I do agree that Razer is overprice on their Ultimate line though. $140 is so expensive!

I'm trying out a BlackWidow Ultimate 2013, and I am going to return it. It is a great board, but I don't like it enough more to keep it for the price vs the Rapids. It isn't a quality thing though, for sure. I sure do love that backlighting though. The thing is so loud though that my wife would never be around me when I use it. Ha!  ;D For some that might be a good thing, but we just got married recently so I want to keep her around a little longer.

Two of several big boyz' out there making keyboards are Costar and iONE

Costar has a good history of making keyboards of good quality and low failure rates.

iONE has a history of making the Black Widow, which sucks ass, and involved in rampant failure rates. They also produced K60 and K90, both of which ALSO suck ass, as those 2 keyboards plain don't work right, and has key sticking.

Offline Xplaced

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:48:35 »
Thanks for the info tp4tissue. Is that history based on a fact sheet somewhere, or just posts on this board, other boards, etc? When I look at reviews on retail sites, the Razer boards are showing 4/5 stars, eggs, whatever you want to call it. I notice that the Rapid boards, a lot of them are 5/5. But, there are like, 400+ reviews on the Razer stuff because it has more market reach I guess, whereas there are something like 80+ reviews on the Rapids. I'm referring to sites like Newegg and Amazon mostly.

I guess it just boils down to getting a good board or not with Razer. If you get a good one, I guess it'll work OK and last a while and not cause issues, and if you like the feel then that's a good board for you. But if you get a Costar/Rapid board, you will be more likely to get a working one from the start.

I wonder if that's because more Razer boards are sold, so a higher percentage are likely to fail? Or if it's just that Razers are not as good? It's hard to know, because we can only go by what are on posted boards like this, and retail site reviews. And even then, not everyone who has one gets on a forum or a retail site and reviews it.

Too many factors involved! Ha! :D I opened a can of worms with this post I think. Well, probably not really. I think most folks here seem pretty much against iONE.

Right now my dilemma is I have two Rapids, a brown and a Red, and I can't decide which one I want to keep and I need to decide so I can ship one back! Ha! Tough decision....
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:50:07 by Xplaced »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:52:32 »
Most of the issues with iOne produced boards have to do with poor assembly. They are notorious for really, really bad soldering which is what causes so much failures. There used to be a bunch of photos of this on here on the old version of the site that showed how bad it was. Lots of solder joint that were big globs, some that bridged traces, soldermask all over everything, stray solder, and so on. Solder joint on the switch should look like a nice shiny tent, not a dull grey ball. Bad joint will break off easily, which will make at least that switch stop working, stray broken off solder can go anywhere and bridge something that could cause a short and fry the controller for example.
It's not isolated to the BW, but anything they have oem, like qpad, adesso, xarmor, tessoro, max and the dozen or so other rebrands they do.

I hope you don't send the board you don't like as rma just because you don't like it. That's not good to do. If you don't mind selling to Europe, I know a lot of people would potentially be willing to buy one as they can't easily get other switch type but black there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:57:10 by lysol »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 12:55:29 »
if i had known then what i know now i would not have bought a bwu, however it has been a solid board since purchasing and everything works flawlessly.

i did however have to defile some ds cherry caps and swap out the ones that came with it- which makes it more tolerable aesthetically. it does have some serious backlit when turned to highest setting.

since being here for a while i know better now and what to buy and not buy :eek:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline wetto

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:08:20 »
Besides, the Razer Blackwidow isn't the biggest fiasco that came out from iOne... XArmor keyboards are terrible based on the reviews I've seen and the Aziotech Levetron Mech4 was probably the worst thing they ever made.

Just check its reviews on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823839010

Most people aren't actually bashing Razer, but its OEM. The strange thing, is that no one defends Corsair's keyboards quality here, only occasionally you see a Razer fanboy getting mad at our opinions, but hey, why is there no one defending Corsair? Why no one defends the Aziotech Levetron Mech4? Why no one defends the Cooler Master Quickfire Pro units produced by iOne?
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:12:57 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:22:34 »
I think the Azio and Corsair were actually made by iRocks, not iOne. Asides from the iOne Scorpius that has a layout vaugely like the Cherry 1800, they have always stuck with the 1.5 1 1.5 6 1.5 1 1 1.5 bottom row. iRocks on the other hand like to use all sorts of different bizzare keyspacing there. In regards to the Azio, yes it is hideous, but I haven't seen complaints about the build quality. As for the Corsair, all it's problems stem from incorporating rubber domes for absolutely no good reason which seems to be why there are so many behavior problems stemming from thier bizarre code they had to implement for the firmware to attempt to account for behavior chrachteristics of 2 wildly different switch types. Otherwise the build quality is quite nice.
iRocks is also the oem for the new Rosewill backlight model, and likely the new Logitech, and the upcoming CM TK.
They also made the Tt meka original with the whack layout, and the g-unit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:27:20 by lysol »

Offline wetto

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:27:15 »
I think the Azio and Corsair were actually made by iRocks, not iOne. Asides from the iOne Scorpius that has a layout vaugely like the Cherry 1800, they have always stuck with the 1.5 1 1.5 6 1.5 1 1 1.5 bottom row. iRocks on the other hand like to use all sorts of different bizzare keyspacing there. In regards to the Azio, yes it is hideous, but I haven't seen complaints about the build quality. As for the Corsair, all it's problems stem from incorporating rubber domes for absolutely no good reason which seems to be why there are so many behavior problems stemming from thier bizarre code they had to implement for the firmware to attempt to account for behavior chrachteristics of 2 wildly different switch types. Otherwise the build quality is quite nice.
iRocks is also likely the oem for the new Logitech, the backlight Rosewill model, and the upcoming CM TK.

Then check again the Newegg reviews section regarding it... Jesus, this may be one of the worst mechanical keybooards ever made.
My collection:
More

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 13:48:57 »
As a current BWU owner, I have to purchase a Filco to feel the true feel of Blue switch.

One good thing about BWU is that it does look very nice with the backlit, so as other Razer products. And put some o-rings, it helps.

All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Xplaced

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:03:13 »
if i had known then what i know now i would not have bought a bwu, however it has been a solid board since purchasing and everything works flawlessly.

i did however have to defile some ds cherry caps and swap out the ones that came with it- which makes it more tolerable aesthetically. it does have some serious backlit when turned to highest setting.

since being here for a while i know better now and what to buy and not buy :eek:

That backlighting is freaking cool, huh? On the new green one for sure. It's so bright, honestly I don't think I'd ever use it on the full brightness. I think it would be a good board for someone, but I'm just going to stick with browns/reds I think. Only other thing I might do is get a Rapid with blues, because I like their feel. They're just too loud for my wife. For me, they're great though. :) Browns seem to be the closest thing for me to blues, and reds are OK I think if I can get used to them. I'm comparing a brown/red combo now, so we'll see what I end up with. I'm thinking it will probably be the browns, though I like the look of the red board a little more. Looks aren't what a keyboard is for though. However, backlighting is cool.... ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 15:23:20 »
Most of the issues with iOne produced boards have to do with poor assembly. They are notorious for really, really bad soldering which is what causes so much failures. There used to be a bunch of photos of this on here on the old version of the site that showed how bad it was. Lots of solder joint that were big globs, some that bridged traces, soldermask all over everything, stray solder, and so on. Solder joint on the switch should look like a nice shiny tent, not a dull grey ball. Bad joint will break off easily, which will make at least that switch stop working, stray broken off solder can go anywhere and bridge something that could cause a short and fry the controller for example.
It's not isolated to the BW, but anything they have oem, like qpad, adesso, xarmor, tessoro, max and the dozen or so other rebrands they do.

I hope you don't send the board you don't like as rma just because you don't like it. That's not good to do. If you don't mind selling to Europe, I know a lot of people would potentially be willing to buy one as they can't easily get other switch type but black there.

Oh reallly?

Fvck Razer..... Fvck Corsair.... Both those m0thafvckers screwed me on 5 different keyboards total.. Fvck fvck fvck..... FVCK

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:27:59 »
Lol. Go on ebay and search up the BlackWidow and any other keyboard you want. How many of the Black Widows are sold "for parts" "as-is" "for parts not working"? and compare to another board. I'm sure the new Razer BlackWidows are fixed up some how. They had many issues upon release. These were issues that I have found during my research of the BlackWidow. I knew what I was getting into but the Back-lighting got to me(I have faced half of these problems myself):
  • they had thin and brittle keycaps
  • they had 2kro(with optimized matrix that failed to work below the wasd area and other places on the board
  • "anti-ghosting" is a nothing but a marketing tool
  • larger keys stabilizer inserts were thinner
  • stubs on the stabilizer inserts were shorter and fell out
  • common space bar stickage
  • ctrl key stickage
  • shift key stickage
  • caps lock stickage
  • rubber feet falling off
  • collectors editions have the same faulty hardware
  • Razer is like the Mac of peripherals(Upgrade for the this years new product is!: A new color! but the old color is no longer availablebut we will re-release the old color in one or two seasons from now)
  • software is not the best(if it takes up your computer's resource to use the software then how is it going to help you get ahead of the game, it will only slow you down) if I'm paying that much I would like some on-board memory

That is all but this is a reference to last years BlackWidow and the new one is new and there is not very much information on it. I wouldn't mind to know if they fixed all of that but I wouldn't pay that much money again just to be disappointed again. Think what you want as it doesn't matter what other people say, you think what you want about your board. The list above was issues that users came across and if you didn't have issues then that's good for you, but doesn't mean that other people haven't had issues. There are good things about the BlackWidow also but you asked for the the problems so here you are. If you want me to list the "pro's" too I can...

Though I dislike Razer now, before I owned a Razer product I was a fan and wanted to try them out because they had so much selection with so many different cosmetic styles, I had to try them all! Even though my current mouse, the Razer Lachesis was a total bust and doesn't fit the hand very naturally at all.  I am currently thinking about getting a new mouse and one of the ones on my list is the Razer Taipan, the successor of the Lachesis... But it is still very new, I think I will wait till I hear about the problems, a price drop, or when an upgraded version comes out a year from now. Yes, I know, I am a fool. Lol.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:32:22 »
Though I dislike Razer now, before I owned a Razer product I was a fan and wanted to try them out because they had so much selection with so many different cosmetic styles, I had to try them all! Even though my current mouse, the Razer Lachesis was a total bust and doesn't fit the hand very naturally at all.  I am currently thinking about getting a new mouse and one of the ones on my list is the Razer Taipan, the successor of the Lachesis... But it is still very new, I think I will wait till I hear about the problems, a price drop, or when an upgraded version comes out a year from now. Yes, I know, I am a fool. Lol.

I also dislike Razer, after buying some of their products (a ****ing bugged Razer Imperator and a Razer Deathadder which I paid more than my current Corsair M60, which is far far far better), but believe or not, based on the specs they used, the laser sensor (which isn't that god damn Philips Twin Eye) and the mouse style, I think that maybe the Raizer Taipan is indeed a good mouse.

But o' well, not like you can't really buy stuff as good as or maybe even better for less money...
My collection:
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:32:58 »
2013 version - matte case, green led, improved KRO. All the other cons are still present more than likely. Basically they took the stealth version and made it the general version, but kept with blues.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:34:31 by lysol »

Offline wetto

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:36:30 »
2013 version - matte case, green led, improved KRO. All the other cons are still present more than likely. Basically they took the stealth version and made it the general version, but kept with blues.

If there's an improved KRO, hasn't the keyboard's circuit been like, totally overhauled?
My collection:
More

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:37:40 »

I also dislike Razer, after buying some of their products (a ****ing bugged Razer Imperator and a Razer Deathadder which I paid more than my current Corsair M60, which is far far far better), but believe or not, based on the specs they used, the laser sensor (which isn't that god damn Philips Twin Eye) and the mouse style, I think that maybe the Raizer Taipan is indeed a good mouse.

But o' well, not like you can't really buy stuff as good as or maybe even better for less money...

My Lachesis is kind of faulty. I figured out it was due to their software, lol.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:43:16 »

My Lachesis is kind of faulty. I figured out it was due to their software, lol.

My old Razer Deathadder 3.5G also crashed and did some crazy stuff as soon as I updated it. Then, I downgraded and it went back to where it previously was.

Talking about that, isn't Synapse 2.0 like, ULTRA-BAD according even to Razer Fanboys?
My collection:
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 16:50:58 »
No, same pcb can be used. Cherry does it quite often. For example use same pcb for vanilla 2KRO 3000 and 6KRO 3494, different firmware only.

Offline wetto

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 17:08:06 »
No, same pcb can be used. Cherry does it quite often. For example use same pcb for vanilla 2KRO 3000 and 6KRO 3494, different firmware only.

Well, there is indeed a different firmware since USB doesn't normally accepts over 6KRO, but, won't some parts of the keyboard remain 2KRO as it was before?
My collection:
More

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 17:17:09 »
lol my friend has a Black Widow, I took a quick peak at it. Ew. For that price I'd stick to CM, feels like I'm paying too much for some spare parts.
I love Elzy

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 17:52:17 »
for some spare parts.

That is what it is... Check ebay.
SmallFry! <3

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 17:54:49 »
Besides, the Razer Blackwidow isn't the biggest fiasco that came out from iOne...
XArmor keyboards are terrible based on the reviews I've seen and the Aziotech Levetron Mech4 was probably the worst thing they ever made.

+1

Btw the XArmor I gave to someone I hate is no longer working.
Good for him, he had it coming :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 17:56:13 »

+1

Btw the XArmor I gave to someone I hate is no longer working.
Good for him, he had it coming :-)

LOL evil.
I love Elzy

Offline sovano

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 19:06:34 »
Besides, the Razer Blackwidow isn't the biggest fiasco that came out from iOne... XArmor keyboards are terrible based on the reviews I've seen and the Aziotech Levetron Mech4 was probably the worst thing they ever made.

Show Image

Most people aren't actually bashing Razer, but its OEM. The strange thing, is that no one defends Corsair's keyboards quality here, only occasionally you see a Razer fanboy getting mad at our opinions, but hey, why is there no one defending Corsair? Why no one defends the Aziotech Levetron Mech4? Why no one defends the Cooler Master Quickfire Pro units produced by iOne?
That's one of the ugliest looking keyboards I've seen in a while...who even conceived of such a horrific design? Anyways it's no mystery that Razer keyboards are just terrible. The only reason people buy them is either they are: inexperienced, fell for the aesthetics, backlighting, and/or the amount of advertising they do (which is A LOT, and they do it well). I can't tell you how many times I've had to go to a tech support forum on sites I go to and read how "my Razer BWU broke" or "X-Y-Z key is not working right". If they just fixed their quality control on the keyboards and switched OEM manufacturers, I'm sure they'd be a more respectable brand.

Offline wetto

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 19:09:49 »

Show Image

That's one of the ugliest looking keyboards I've seen in a while...who even conceived of such a horrific design? Anyways it's no mystery that Razer keyboards are just terrible. The only reason people buy them is either they are: inexperienced, fell for the aesthetics, backlighting, and/or the amount of advertising they do (which is A LOT, and they do it well). I can't tell you how many times I've had to go to a tech support forum on sites I go to and read how "my Razer BWU broke" or "X-Y-Z key is not working right". If they just fixed their quality control on the keyboards and switched OEM manufacturers, I'm sure they'd be a more respectable brand.

Sure, but that affects their profits. The cheaper it is, the bigger the profits are. Everyone knows that focusing resources on marketing makes your product sell more than focusing resources on the product's quality control.
My collection:
More

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 19:12:44 »
Like Apple. Where would the be without advertisements?
SmallFry! <3

Offline cosmonauti

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:47:07 »
I've just replaced my original-got-it-launch-day BWU with a new one (for $0 ;D) - not the 2013 edition. I must say that this newer board feels better. There really wasn't a ton of wear on my old board but some of the keys felt a bit loose. On this new one, however, the only somewhat noticeably wobbly key is the right shift, probably because it's the largest key besides the spacebar. The spacebar could be more solid, but I am overall more pleased with the recent board than my first. Maybe they've tightened up their QC, maybe I got lucky with this newer one.

Just throwing it out there.
heuheuheuheu
BWU
CMStorm Trigger
CMStorm Rapid

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:04:40 »
First mech I had was the BWU. I must say, Razer does make the best mouse ever, the Razer Naga which I use at work and at home. In hindsight, that blackwidow was just cheesy and an okay starter big-boy keyboard.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:08:08 »
An okay starter, but at a premium price for a starter.

Unless you specifically want backlighting, a CM QFR or similar would be much cheaper.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:12:05 »
To be honest, I was completely unaware the CM Storm keyboards were even around back then. Had I known about it I could have saved money. Anyways, I only insist on back lighting in the cave cause at work, there's always light... Ordered some blank PBT keys for my CM Rapid at work ^_^

Offline ih8

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:36:22 »
I'm surprised you can't feel a quality difference between the BW and the QFR.

Offline wetto

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:46:33 »

Then again, I even found a guy on the internet saying that the Razer Blackwidow's quality wasn't inferior to his Das Keyboard (but wait, he did made a five pages review, disassembled the thing and that was a review sample)... Ow well...
My collection:
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:52:49 »

Then again, I even found a guy on the internet saying that the Razer Blackwidow's quality wasn't inferior to his Das Keyboard (but wait, he did made a five pages review, disassembled the thing and that was a review sample)... Ow well...

it's 1 guy, outta how many of the "REST OF US" here who got screwed by RAZER...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:57:30 »
When I started looking for a mechanical keyboard earlier this year the first one (and only one) I found that matched my criteria was the BWU.  It had to be mac layout (command/option, eject etc.) and backlit.

I joined here and asked a few questions and did some research, and eventually settled on a Ducky Shine.

The only thing missing from the Ducky Shine was the eject key, but I installed a background app that put an icon on the menu bar that does eject (not that the optical drive in my Mac is especially reliable anyway).

Since then no worries at all.  But I do wonder what life would have been like had I bought the BWU.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline wetto

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 01:09:10 »

it's 1 guy, outta how many of the "REST OF US" here who got screwed by RAZER...

It's one guy who probably got something in return for doing that review...  :))
My collection:
More

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 01:18:39 »

I do know the Costar stabilizers are smoother / easier to press down than the Cherry stabilizers but using a Costar stabilizer over a Cherry won't raise my productivity any... the Cherry one just seems kinda mushy in comparison. I tend to ignore this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 01:27:52 »
When I started looking for a mechanical keyboard earlier this year the first one (and only one) I found that matched my criteria was the BWU.  It had to be mac layout (command/option, eject etc.) and backlit.

I joined here and asked a few questions and did some research, and eventually settled on a Ducky Shine.

The only thing missing from the Ducky Shine was the eject key, but I installed a background app that put an icon on the menu bar that does eject (not that the optical drive in my Mac is especially reliable anyway).

Since then no worries at all.  But I do wonder what life would have been like had I bought the BWU.
Had you bought the BWU, your girlfriend/wife would've left you for a better man, a man with a "costar" built magical wonder.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 01:46:34 »

Had you bought the BWU, your girlfriend/wife would've left you for a better man, a man with a "costar" built magical wonder.
Lolz.. You probably would have bought 10 more board just to before you filled in the hole in which the BWU left you...
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 02:02:16 »
Call me the day Razer Keyboards can handle stuff like this.

And hell, I'm pretty sure my Das Keyboard also works as a melee weapon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 02:04:28 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 03:23:05 »
Call me the day Razer Keyboards can handle stuff like this.

And hell, I'm pretty sure my Das Keyboard also works as a melee weapon.

Plate mounted really helps.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 03:27:19 »
I do know the Costar stabilizers are smoother / easier to press down than the Cherry stabilizers but using a Costar stabilizer over a Cherry won't raise my productivity any... the Cherry one just seems kinda mushy in comparison. I tend to ignore this.

Having tried both stabilizers on a few boards (mostly MX Red), I felt very little difference between the two except when bottoming out. I couldn't speak for the Blackwidows or other iOne boards, but I don't notice any difference in travel other than the Cherry stabilizers feeling like they have less play in most cases.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 04:27:23 »

Nah, she was like "why do you want to spend so much on a keyboard" to start with, but she can see how happy I am now.

Plus she ordered a CM QFR for me today :)

Offline Carefoot

• http://carefoot.ca
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 05:17:34 »
I used a black widow for a few months in Seoul.  I upgraded to my HHKB2 now that I have from here. I don't really miss it.  I found the keys to be very large, and I found it to have a plastic like feel that my Filco never had.   Got my Filco after fruitdealer won GSL Season 1 with it.   Yayr.
* - Black "Otaku" HHKB Professional 2
* - Filco Neo Multifinger Touch Pad
* - AKG701 headphones
* - Steelseries [Rubberized/Raw] Sensei

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 13:15:17 »
I used a black widow for a few months in Seoul.  I upgraded to my HHKB2 now that I have from here. I don't really miss it.  I found the keys to be very large, and I found it to have a plastic like feel that my Filco never had.   Got my Filco after fruitdealer won GSL Season 1 with it.   Yayr.

A free keyboard from fruit dealer?
SmallFry! <3

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 16:29:10 »
WTF you got a keyboard from fruit dealer? I want it.
I love Elzy