Author Topic: Artisan mousepad review  (Read 36538 times)

Offline tubby

Artisan mousepad review
« on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:47:52 »
Not sure if this should belong in the 'input devices' section, but I saw a gaming mousepad thread and thought I'll post this in the same subforum :)
It's a lengthy review so there's quite a bit to load
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32172733/review/Artisan_2012_review-by-tubby.pdf
Hope it won't bore anyone to sleep :p
More
Realforce 87UB SE1700 | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Kobo Red Wood | Filco FKBN87MR/CB2 | Filco FKBN97MRL/EW2 | Filco FKBN87MC/EY2 | Filco FKBN87M/EMU2 | Filco FKBN104M/EB-AI | Filco FKBN104MC/EB | Ducky DK9008 | KBC Poker brown | Realforce 23UB WC01B0 | Filco FKB22MB

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: Artisan mousepad review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:15:03 »
This is actually exactly something I've been looking for. very nice.

Offline tubby

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 06:30:36 »
Thanks, JwaZ. Glad if it could be of some use.
Would love to hear what you end up getting =)
More
Realforce 87UB SE1700 | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Kobo Red Wood | Filco FKBN87MR/CB2 | Filco FKBN97MRL/EW2 | Filco FKBN87MC/EY2 | Filco FKBN87M/EMU2 | Filco FKBN104M/EB-AI | Filco FKBN104MC/EB | Ducky DK9008 | KBC Poker brown | Realforce 23UB WC01B0 | Filco FKB22MB

Offline Skeksis

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 07:28:30 »
Great Work Dude.

Offline chrono000

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 07:45:56 »
wow well made...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 08:45:49 »
Gonna have to give this a read when it's time to replace my current pad, I've been interested in the Artisan pads for a while but there hasn't really been a nice and easy source of info on them. Excellent work.

Offline tubby

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:34:14 »
Thank you for the kind words fellas.

Gonna have to give this a read when it's time to replace my current pad, I've been interested in the Artisan pads for a while but there hasn't really been a nice and easy source of info on them. Excellent work.
Thanks.
I too had a hard time finding infos on them when trying to replace my Puretrak Talent.
But these things are almost as addictive as mechanical keyboards. Even when you think you've found the right one, stopping it there is quite a task :p
Which pad are you currently using, if I may ask?
More

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 09:44:08 »
Which pad are you currently using, if I may ask?
I currently switch between my SteelSeries QcK Heavy and Icemat, I know they call it Experience something these days, but that's a stupid and far more confusing name. Used a 5L for years, but the surface is so worn some of my mice have issues tracking properly on it and I can't find a replacement.
Hoping Artisan has a pad similar to the 5L as I love that pad.
I've also got a regular SC2 QcK for my laptop and some slippery Alienware plastic mat that I never use for anything.

Currently looking for another large mat similar to the Heavy or a deskmat to replace it as it's getting somewhat worn. It's not worn enough to be an issue, but my girlfriend really likes it so giving it to her would be a great excuse to get a new mousepad.

Though I'm finding mice more addictive than both keyboards and pads...

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 11:51:54 »
I was just about to hop on here and paste the link onto the gaming mousepad thread. Luckily I was able to find this first so I didn't double post. Great work Tubby! Now to try to decide whether I want a Hayate or a Hien down the line. How long do you think the Hayate will last you?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 12:02:57 »
Wow nice !!!  I currently have a Artisan Shiden and now, maybe I'll try Artisan Hayate next it looks very promising !!!  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tubby

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:22:35 »
@ Vun
I don't have any experience with the QcKs nor the 5L but from all the review I have been reading, it seems that the Artisan Zero surpasses the QcK. Would be a good start if you're looking to replace your QcK :)

The Icemat V2 was actually my very first gaming mousepad ^^ I found them to be too noisy so I had to DIY some mouse skates by cutting some teflon strips. But after trying clothpads I find them still too noisy even with the mouse skates on ^^; and the last time I tried it again, it felt gritty =\ I use it as my Artisan base now :p Is yours the earliest Icemat? And they still perform well to this day?

It would appear that the QcK is a control mousepad, and the Icemat is at the other end of the scale. Is it not difficult to adapt moving back and forth between them? ^^a

I'd love to see a mouse lineup collection. Do you perhaps have a photo of yours? =D
Sadly, I am very picky with my mouse. My wrist (and my pinky area) hurts if the mouse doesn't suit me well. Because of that, at one point, I decided to use a trackpad for daily browsing. Coincidentally, I went back to using a mouse because of my growing Artisan mini collection ^^
And strangely enough, I went back to the mouse that I previously despise... the Cyborg RAT >.<
I even ended up with a couple of them at some point, but these certainly aren't good mice :p

@ Swagpiratex
Thanks a bunch for the good gesture, Swagpiratex ^^
The Hayate and Hien are both my top favorites, so I don't think you could go wrong with either one... and probably you'll be getting both down the line anyway ;)

The fraying on the Hayate occurred not too long after I had it, because I was switching it back and forth with the Shiden, and to prevent it from getting dusty I placed it back in its cardboard box every time I switch.
The trapped dust, I noticed about 5 months after using it, but it could've happened earlier. I did manage to clean it almost entirely by carefully rubbing it with a wet cloth, and even there are still some dust left, tracking is no longer affected. I remember someone stating the surface is no longer the same after he cleaned his (I think he went with the brushing method). I too think that mine have slightly changed... feels there's somewhat more feedback now :)
But its approaching a year now, and I've cleaned it over 5 times now. 3 times because of dust build up, the rest are because I let some friends test them out and I always clean them after :))
I'd say if you take good care of it, it should still perform well over a year. Longer than that, I will have to report back later ;)

@ Hyde
The Hayate IMO is really worth a try ^^ and from the words out there, many also have it placed as their top favorite ^^
In fact, Shiden was my first Artisan, and Hayate was my second. Very happy when I received my first :D and even happier when I received my second ;D
btw is that your doggie in your avatar? =D
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:26:36 by tubby »
More

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 13:46:22 »
@ Vun
I don't have any experience with the QcKs nor the 5L but from all the review I have been reading, it seems that the Artisan Zero surpasses the QcK. Would be a good start if you're looking to replace your QcK :)

The Icemat V2 was actually my very first gaming mousepad ^^ I found them to be too noisy so I had to DIY some mouse skates by cutting some teflon strips. But after trying clothpads I find them still too noisy even with the mouse skates on ^^; and the last time I tried it again, it felt gritty =\ I use it as my Artisan base now :p Is yours the earliest Icemat? And they still perform well to this day?

It would appear that the QcK is a control mousepad, and the Icemat is at the other end of the scale. Is it not difficult to adapt moving back and forth between them? ^^a

I'd love to see a mouse lineup collection. Do you perhaps have a photo of yours? =D
Sadly, I am very picky with my mouse. My wrist (and my pinky area) hurts if the mouse doesn't suit me well. Because of that, at one point, I decided to use a trackpad for daily browsing. Coincidentally, I went back to using a mouse because of my growing Artisan mini collection ^^
And strangely enough, I went back to the mouse that I previously despise... the Cyborg RAT >.<
I even ended up with a couple of them at some point, but these certainly aren't good mice :p
The only product I have with the IceMat brand is a Siberia headset, that still works great, the I-2 as it's called these days is fairly recent. I don't really know how long I've had it, maybe 6 months? I did get a Razer Sphex as well back then, it was fairly decent pad at a reasonable price, the problem is removing it; I tried making sure the surface was as clean as possible when I applied it, but it still left a nasty mark when I removed it.

I'll agree that the Icemat is a bit noisy and needs to be cleaned almost religiously. At first I was worried it would tear more than normal on the feet so I had Logitech send me a pair of replacement feet for my beloved G9x just in case. Still, it feels incredibly smooth and it is a fantastic pad. The reason I use the Heavy these days is because the Icemat is a bit small as I've started using lower sensitivity when gaming and the glass gets really cold during winter, which isn't all that comfortable.

Switching between pads really isn't a problem, I change up pads and mice whenever I feel like it. People over at ocn like to talk about math and whatnot, I tend to just go by feel. If the mouse I'm using or the pad doesn't suit me there and then I'll just swap. Although I would really like to know what kind of pad I prefer as I've been scouting for new pads lately and I see some offered in control version, speed version etc. I can't really say what kind of pad I prefer as I love both the Heavy and the Icemat. I guess I'll just have to get all of them >_>

I don't have a photo of them, but I'll see if I can get one taken tonight and post it here.

Pains around the pinky area is actually one of the reason I have so many mice; if I start feeling pain in my pink or ringfinger or just general discomfort with the mouse I'll swap to a different shape.

I have a Cyborg R.A.T. 7 and I actually like it quite a lot. The ability to customise it means I don't necessarily need to swap mouse if it feels a bit off, I can just adjust the mouse. I also find the thumb wheel to be really nice, and I love the software for it as it's the only mouse software with the ability to latch keys I've found so far. Great for GW and GW2 as it means I can just use the wheel to latch right click instead of having to keep the button pressed.
The RAT does have a very picky sensor, I often have to clean it for dust and my first one refused to track along one axis, so I had to get it replaced.
I'm not all that picky when it comes to mice mostly, the only thing I'm picky about is originality, which is why I don't really like SteelSeries mice. You can say what you want about Razer mice, but their licensed stuff often gets some work. Just look at the TRON and SWTOR mice, and compare them to the SteelSeries mice for GW2 and D3. All SteelSeries did was rebrand some of their older models, other than that they don't really have that much to do with the games. The D3 mouse did get a modified scrollwheel as well, but still.. As a collector I want the mice to be slightly more unique.

Offline tubby

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 05:54:07 »
@ Vun
Ah so yours is the newer one =)
The wrist rest that comes with my eXactMat and the backing of the Puretrak Talen both left a nasty mark on my desk and I can't get rid of the stain :(
The mark can be seen in this photo.
Is that the same mark the Sphex left on your desk?

Yes, any slight of dust on the Icemat would make its glide very gritty.
Initially it was a small price to pay to keep a mousepad that would last a lifetime. But I was wrong because the section I use is now glossier than the rest. And I have always been using a DIY teflon feet such as this. They are close to 1mm thick and are very soft. I'm not sure what caused the gloss. I hope the newer ones such as yours would not suffer the same over time.
But it was a joy to use the Icemat while it lasts and I don't remember complaining its cold surface during the winter :)

I, myself, can't adapt to changes quickly ^^; But I, too, can't really say whether I like faster or slower pads now. I was convinced that fast pads suit me best, but turns out I grew to like the Hien.... a lot :)
If you can't decide if you want a speed or a control pad, I think the Hayate would suit you nicely for a start :) It gives lots of speed but still gives good control :)

As a matter of fact, it was the scroll wheel alone that made me go back to the RAT :) Its really indispensable especially in Mountain Lion :)
But I never fiddle around with the software all that much because as of now its still kind of buggy ^^;
So I actually haven't tried out that latch option. Would that mean that once you click it, the button would remain locked until you click it to release again?

I can't stop agreeing with you lol, yes the RAT's sensor is very picky and I, too, have experience its sensor not tracking any y axis movement. I thought it's because of dust issues, because every time that happens, I just wipe of the sensor opening and it goes normal again. Did you happen to try to clean yours before you RMAed it?

I am never a fan of those rereleased products only to have an image printed on it. Even if they have that, I'll opt for the original one.
And I usually prefer comfort and functionality over form factor. But I can see why you'd prefer Razer over SS if you're a collector :)
And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your mice collection :D
More

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 07:31:45 »
@ Vun
The wrist rest that comes with my eXactMat and the backing of the Puretrak Talen both left a nasty mark on my desk and I can't get rid of the stain :(

Initially it was a small price to pay to keep a mousepad that would last a lifetime. But I was wrong because the section I use is now glossier than the rest. And I have always been using a DIY teflon feet such as this. They are close to 1mm thick and are very soft. I'm not sure what caused the gloss. I hope the newer ones such as yours would not suffer the same over time.
But it was a joy to use the Icemat while it lasts and I don't remember complaining its cold surface during the winter :)

I, myself, can't adapt to changes quickly ^^; But I, too, can't really say whether I like faster or slower pads now. I was convinced that fast pads suit me best, but turns out I grew to like the Hien.... a lot :)
If you can't decide if you want a speed or a control pad, I think the Hayate would suit you nicely for a start :) It gives lots of speed but still gives good control :)

As a matter of fact, it was the scroll wheel alone that made me go back to the RAT :) Its really indispensable especially in Mountain Lion :)
But I never fiddle around with the software all that much because as of now its still kind of buggy ^^;
So I actually haven't tried out that latch option. Would that mean that once you click it, the button would remain locked until you click it to release again?

I can't stop agreeing with you lol, yes the RAT's sensor is very picky and I, too, have experience its sensor not tracking any y axis movement. I thought it's because of dust issues, because every time that happens, I just wipe of the sensor opening and it goes normal again. Did you happen to try to clean yours before you RMAed it?

I am never a fan of those rereleased products only to have an image printed on it. Even if they have that, I'll opt for the original one.
And I usually prefer comfort and functionality over form factor. But I can see why you'd prefer Razer over SS if you're a collector :)
The mark left by the Sphex is even nastier; I have a light wooden desk and the Sphex has left a scattering of black plastic residue on it. I managed to scrape off the majority of it, but haven't gotten all of it yet.

I also hope they've toughened up the Icemat, although I can already see small damages around it, although they don't impact performance in any way so I'm not that bothered.

As for the latch feature; yes, latching is basically toggle. I figure the reason it's there is because Saitek also makes flight sim controls, which require more customisation options than usual, and rubs off on the configuration software for their other products.
And I did try cleaning the sensor somewhat on the one I RMAd, but seeing as that would refuse to track properly several times a day and finally refuse to track properly at all in the end I think I got one with a bad sensor, which is a problem with RAT mice from what I could find online.

Comfort and functionality are of course the most important things about a mouse, but I already have mice that are fantastic in both aspects, so looking for more "perfect" mice isn't really important. The fun now is to try and find mice which offer different experiences than the ones I already have, or just mice that simply look cool.

I did get a picture of my collection, although until attachments start working properly I can't really upload it here. I might see if I can find an off-site image host in the meantime, but it would be nice to sort this out sooner rather than later.
Basically; attachments only show as "C:\fakepath\image", I assume this is due to a bug in GH's coding as it happens with several browsers and only on GH. I've filed a bug report, but not sure how long it'll take to resolve that.

On another note; I've really been enjoying these long replies as I recently got a QFR with reds and it's amazing to type on. I was worried the reds would be too light, but they might actually be the switch for me. I do like my browns, but the reds are more suited for gaming which I do quite a bit of.

Edit: Attachments seem to work like they should now, so hoping this will show up:
7071-0
Might have had some impurities on the lens, I've got a neutral filter on the end to protect the actual lens so I've not been all that careful about keeping it clean, because my G9 really isn't that dusty.
Rather poor lighting conditions as well, but I tried to make it look as good as I could be bothered to.
List of mice for those who might not recognise all of them:
Razer Lachesis - Razer Mamba - Razer DeathAdder - Razer Krait - Razer/MS Habu
MS IME 3.0 - Logitech G5 - Logitech G400 - Logitech G9x - Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. -7
SteelSeries Kinzu
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 08:17:01 by vun »

Offline raisinbun

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:20:36 »
Hoping Artisan has a pad similar to the 5L as I love that pad.

I have 5L and would say Raiden Mid is the closest Artisan pad to it in terms of surface texture and glide. Next is Shiden/Shiden-kai Mid which is glass-coated, making it the same touch as 5L, but is more slippery.

Offline tubby

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 11:07:35 »
@ Vun
Oh so yours is actually bits of the Sphex bottom layer sticking to the surface? Mine actually whitens for some odd reason =|

That toggle function is actually marketed as a "feature" for the MMO7. Never knew its actually available for all RATs lol.
Rather worrying hearing that the sensor problem could get permanent, and I just did a quick google and it seems to be quite common an issue :(

Ah, that I understand. I too was hunting for my "perfect" keyboard. And now that I've chose to believe that I've found it, I look for those with unique caps or cases just for the sake of collecting :)
And the "perfect" keyboard for me happens to be one with red Cherry MX too :D
Though I don't game on my PC, but I find reds to be most comfortable for typing =D
Should I choose to game, my choice of switch would probably be the uniform 45g Topre though.

Nice collection!
One inevitable question... which is your favorite? :p
The Mamba's grip is actually my fav of all the gaming mice I've tried. Do the Deathadder have the exact same grip?
And I would also love to hear your opinion on the IME 3.0 :)
Thanks for sharing the pic btw! ^^
So have you decided on your next pad to go with your mice? ;)

@ Raisinbun
Judging from your statement, would that mean you would rate their speed like so: 5L > Raiden > Shiden/ShidenKai? :)
Have you compared the Shiden and the ShidenKai? I'm curious on how different they are.
More

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 11:47:40 »
@ Vun

The mark left by the Sphex is even nastier; I have a light wooden desk and the Sphex has left a scattering of black plastic residue on it. I managed to scrape off the majority of it, but haven't gotten all of it yet.

I also hope they've toughened up the Icemat, although I can already see small damages around it, although they don't impact performance in any way so I'm not that bothered.

As for the latch feature; yes, latching is basically toggle. I figure the reason it's there is because Saitek also makes flight sim controls, which require more customisation options than usual, and rubs off on the configuration software for their other products.
And I did try cleaning the sensor somewhat on the one I RMAd, but seeing as that would refuse to track properly several times a day and finally refuse to track properly at all in the end I think I got one with a bad sensor, which is a problem with RAT mice from what I could find online.

Comfort and functionality are of course the most important things about a mouse, but I already have mice that are fantastic in both aspects, so looking for more "perfect" mice isn't really important. The fun now is to try and find mice which offer different experiences than the ones I already have, or just mice that simply look cool.

I did get a picture of my collection, although until attachments start working properly I can't really upload it here. I might see if I can find an off-site image host in the meantime, but it would be nice to sort this out sooner rather than later.
Basically; attachments only show as "C:\fakepath\image", I assume this is due to a bug in GH's coding as it happens with several browsers and only on GH. I've filed a bug report, but not sure how long it'll take to resolve that.

On another note; I've really been enjoying these long replies as I recently got a QFR with reds and it's amazing to type on. I was worried the reds would be too light, but they might actually be the switch for me. I do like my browns, but the reds are more suited for gaming which I do quite a bit of.

Edit: Attachments seem to work like they should now, so hoping this will show up:
(Attachment Link)
Might have had some impurities on the lens, I've got a neutral filter on the end to protect the actual lens so I've not been all that careful about keeping it clean, because my G9 really isn't that dusty.
Rather poor lighting conditions as well, but I tried to make it look as good as I could be bothered to.
List of mice for those who might not recognise all of them:
Razer Lachesis - Razer Mamba - Razer DeathAdder - Razer Krait - Razer/MS Habu
MS IME 3.0 - Logitech G5 - Logitech G400 - Logitech G9x - Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. -7
SteelSeries Kinzu

Sorry for the OT, and I'm sure you've answered this question many times, but... what's your favorite mouse out of your collection?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:33:54 »
Sorry for the OT, and I'm sure you've answered this question many times, but... what's your favorite mouse out of your collection?
Actually this is one of the first times I've been asked that question, I haven't shown off my collection all that much yet as I don't really have anything particularly interesting in it; they're all fairly standard gaming mice easily available, with the exception of the Krait, Habu and G5, although the last two still live on; the Habu is basically a not that good version of the DeathAdder(although the Habu's materials are more comfortable, despite feeling cheaper) and the G5 lives on in the G500.
I really wanted to get a Copperhead or a Diamondback, but I was a bit too late and while a member of GH did offer to sell me his Copperhead I just couldn't justify spending the cash. The Krait is the closest I have, but it's a bit small for me and only gets used with the laptop.

My go-to mouse is the G9x, no question about it. It is an incredibly good and solid mouse that has never let me down.
Despite all it's flaws I really enjoy my RAT 7 as well, it's a very comfortable mouse and is a good all-rounder, although it's a bit too heavy and clunky for gaming sometimes.
The Lachesis is the newest addition and the one I've been using lately, took a bit of getting used to but once I did I really enjoyed it, would probably rank that second to the G9x with the RAT third.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 19:27:21 »
Actually this is one of the first times I've been asked that question, I haven't shown off my collection all that much yet as I don't really have anything particularly interesting in it; they're all fairly standard gaming mice easily available, with the exception of the Krait, Habu and G5, although the last two still live on; the Habu is basically a not that good version of the DeathAdder(although the Habu's materials are more comfortable, despite feeling cheaper) and the G5 lives on in the G500.
I really wanted to get a Copperhead or a Diamondback, but I was a bit too late and while a member of GH did offer to sell me his Copperhead I just couldn't justify spending the cash. The Krait is the closest I have, but it's a bit small for me and only gets used with the laptop.

My go-to mouse is the G9x, no question about it. It is an incredibly good and solid mouse that has never let me down.
Despite all it's flaws I really enjoy my RAT 7 as well, it's a very comfortable mouse and is a good all-rounder, although it's a bit too heavy and clunky for gaming sometimes.
The Lachesis is the newest addition and the one I've been using lately, took a bit of getting used to but once I did I really enjoyed it, would probably rank that second to the G9x with the RAT third.

Got it. Thanks for letting me know. And yea, since you mention the Krait/Copperhead, I was thinking maybe you should take a look at Razer's new Taipan. It looks to me, like a spiritual successor to those line of mice. I've tried it, and I personally liked it a lot, but supposedly a lot of people had issues with its sensor over at the overclockers.net forums (I personally never had such problems; the sensor was perfectly fine for me).

And yup, the G9x is a great mouse. I've tried that, too, and I keep wavering between that, the Taipan, and the Deathadder (which I'm using now) as my permanent mouse.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:28:34 »
Glad I saw this, decided I needed a new mousepad and always heard great things about Artisan. This helped with the large amount of options they currently have on amazon. Just grabbed a Hien Soft medium, should be here tomorrow. Using QcK Mass+ currently.

Now I just need to resist the urge to get addicted to another random computer peripheral :)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 20:21:49 »
Thanks, JwaZ. Glad if it could be of some use.
Would love to hear what you end up getting =)

So I picked up  a Hien VE to start and will probably try others if I like it.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 23:04:57 »
Cool. a Detailed review.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Johan

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:37:49 »
Does anyone know if I can get a Artisan in Sweden?
Uh, stuff.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 23:54:08 »
@ Hyde
The Hayate IMO is really worth a try ^^ and from the words out there, many also have it placed as their top favorite ^^
In fact, Shiden was my first Artisan, and Hayate was my second. Very happy when I received my first  and even happier when I received my second
btw is that your doggie in your avatar? =D

Ohhhh that's good to know, seems like Hayate is generally regards as the best Artisan pad eh?

Btw I was sorta on the fence between Raiden vs Hayate because I prefer uniform speed in all direction, but seems like Hayate is a more popular.  Is it because Hayate has more control also better compatibility with difference mice?  But from what I heard the direction difference isn't too much on Hayate anyway isn't it?

Oh and the doggy in my avatar is not my dog, I found this picture online lol.

Thanks again for all the feedback  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 05:37:09 »
Okay, I just read most of the review. I just need time to have it soak in and reread it. Why is the Hayate durability so low ranked? All of these mousepads look soo nice, I wish I could try them all! I checked amazon and the Hayate seems to cost a lot more than the others. Is there a reason for that?

Oh, I get it. I have been looking at the VE edition. Is the only thing different between VE and soft is the rubber backing?
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 06:31:08 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 21:48:43 »
Nice review!
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 23:43:38 »
Wow thanks! Bookmarked for future reference :}
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline Permeability

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 00:20:02 »
might pick one of these up now, thanks for the review!
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline StrykerX

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 02:29:01 »
Great review. Still can't decide which one to buy. Which one is closest to QCK+? I've read that their cloth has slightly different drag depending on the X and Y axis. Also, your noting of dust getting so easily trapped in the cloth ones is disturbing. My QCK doesn't really have that issue...

I love my QCK+, are those pads really better? I haven't had to clean my QCK+ before and I've had it for about two years.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 16:09:04 »
Yeah I agree, QCK+ is one of the better mousepads I've owned, specially for the price.
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 16:42:21 »
I like the QcK+ for the price but for just a litltle more I would much rather try an artisan. VE
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:13:27 »
lol so I just recently got a Hayate and Hien.  I owned Shiden prior to getting the two new ones.  I have to say Hayate is really smooth and fast, to certain extent it actually feels smoother than Shiden even though Shiden is faster.

However I find the speed difference is a bit more noticeable than I originally thought.  Maybe cuz I've been playing Diablo and Starcraft and for those games it's preferred to have a uniform speed in all direction.  That and coming from Shiden (uniform speed) I find it feels a little bit odd.  Most people seems to prefer Hayate the best but oddly enough I think I prefer Shiden slightly more.  Shiden also feels a bit more unique.  However the main reason for me to get Hayate is because some mouse doesn't track properly on Shiden (white surface and glass coating).

THEN I got a Hien.  That's when I realize I actually like slower mouse pad contrary to the "trend" these days.  Where everyone's trying to come out with faster and faster mouse pads.  I knew I didn't like hard pad because they are too fast, but then I didn't think I'd actually like slower cloth pad too.  Also oddly enough I feel Hien has less speed difference than Hayate, even though most users seems to report the opposite.

So I've come to this conclusion.  Just like mechanical keyboards, which mouse pad to get also comes to PREFERENCE.  Most people seems to like Hayate the best, but I find for me I actually like Hien the best.  Maybe I'll try Zero (Artisan's Slowest Mouse Pad) later  :P

Here's my short summary for those that are interested:

Shiden = White surface glass coating, very unique look.  Fastest of the 3 and surface feels like tougher silk mesh.  Beware some mouse doesn't track too well to this surface, like my Naga will cursor jump sometimes.

Hayate = Fastest cloth pad I've tried.  Feel like gliding on teflon.  Really slippery and smooth, least texture out of the 3 here.  Noticeable speed difference on vertical and horizontal (For me at least).

Hien = Slowest of the 3 and has the most texture.  Surface feels like using canvas.  But oddly enough I like it the best and it to me feels like has less speed difference compare to Hayate (Even though other user might say otherwise).

Yeah I agree, QCK+ is one of the better mousepads I've owned, specially for the price.

Yeah I agree after trying Artisan pads, I have to say Artisan pads does feel better but probably not like 2 times better.  Kinda like Filco and CM Storm.  If you have the money go for it, otherwise QCK+ or Goliathus are decent choices considering the price  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:22:30 by Hyde »

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:34:21 »
lol so I just recently got a Hayate and Hien.  I owned Shiden prior to getting the two new ones.  I have to say Hayate is really smooth and fast, to certain extent it actually feels smoother than Shiden even though Shiden is faster.

However I find the speed difference is a bit more noticeable than I originally thought.  Maybe cuz I've been playing Diablo and Starcraft and for those games it's preferred to have a uniform speed in all direction.  That and coming from Shiden (uniform speed) I find it feels a little bit odd.  Most people seems to prefer Hayate the best but oddly enough I think I prefer Shiden slightly more.  Shiden also feels a bit more unique.  However the main reason for me to get Hayate is because some mouse doesn't track properly on Shiden (white surface and glass coating).

THEN I got a Hien.  That's when I realize I actually like slower mouse pad contrary to the "trend" these days.  Where everyone's trying to come out with faster and faster mouse pads.  I knew I didn't like hard pad because they are too fast, but then I didn't think I'd actually like slower cloth pad too.  Also oddly enough I feel Hien has less speed difference than Hayate, even though most users seems to report the opposite.

So I've come to this conclusion.  Just like mechanical keyboards, which mouse pad to get also comes to PREFERENCE.  Most people seems to like Hayate the best, but I find for me I actually like Hien the best.  Maybe I'll try Zero (Artisan's Slowest Mouse Pad) later  :P

Here's my short summary for those that are interested:

Shiden = White surface glass coating, very unique look.  Fastest of the 3 and surface feels like tougher silk mesh.  Beware some mouse doesn't track too well to this surface, like my Naga will cursor jump sometimes.

Hayate = Fastest cloth pad I've tried.  Feel like gliding on teflon.  Really slippery and smooth, least texture out of the 3 here.  Noticeable speed difference on vertical and horizontal (For me at least).

Hien = Slowest of the 3 and has the most texture.  Surface feels like using canvas.  But oddly enough I like it the best and it to me feels like has less speed difference compare to Hayate (Even though other user might say otherwise).

Yeah I agree after trying Artisan pads, I have to say Artisan pads does feel better but probably not like 2 times better.  Kinda like Filco and CM Storm.  If you have the money go for it, otherwise QCK+ or Goliathus are decent choices considering the price  :)

and what about QPAD CT? I have it for 3 years and still keeps working as the 1st day (I am quite a clean guy :D)

Offline ajx

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 14:58:11 »
i got one, best cloth pad i ever used, lot better than qck but still inferior to the hard pad such as plastic / alu
if you play nervous and fast fps you will notice it otherwise glide is very decent (very low friction for cloth texture)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:06:29 »
Ordered Hein and Zero VE. Waiting on shipment! :p
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 22:19:36 »
Ordered Hein and Zero VE. Waiting on shipment! :p

Let me know how the 2 compares, I recently discover that I actually like slower mousepad for control.  Currently using Hien and is debating if I should try Zero.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:38:00 »
I was wanting to get the Zero Xsoft but it might be too soft and does not come in VE. I decided Soft should be soft enough. I heard laser tracks better on cloth so I am going for soft pads now. If I were to get another I think I would get the Shiden-Kai but it costs quite a bit more.

The reviewer said he/she disliked Zero the most but I hear it is soft like a wrist rest.

I was debating a long time. I was going to get Shiden or Shiden-Kai but they don't come in VE.

Most of them seem to be rated heavy "Left-to-Right" and soft "Up-and-Down" Shiden is rated as "Even"

Anyways I got my Zero mosty just to try it also. It was only 10USD on Amazon with Free Super Saver Shipping.

This is also an unrecognized mousepad by them:
http://www.amazon.com/ARTISAN-Game-Mouse-Made-Japan/dp/B002GNP694/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3
SmallFry! <3

Offline xoam

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 07:30:54 »
European based distributor (ships worldwide though) for Artisan:  http://www.xoam.net

As an e-Sports player I'm always looking for the best gear to give me an edge in gaming. I found Artisan as the most praised brand of mouse pads in the community, and after trying them out I could easily understand why. I however found them very hard to get a hold of in Europe (and the US, for that matter). After a few months of communication with Artisan regarding their sponsorship of my Battlefield 3 team and increasing the availability of the Artisan mouse pads, I started my own company to become a retailer for them, mainly in Europe, but shipping around the world (tax-free sales outside of the EU).

There is currently also summer sales going on, reducing all prices by 20%. Feel free to check it out on http://www.xoam.net

Offline Rendom

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 22:31:06 »
My Hayate should be arriving soon. Nice review!
QFR - MX Blue

Offline velvetdon25

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 00:02:23 »
I got the Hayate, and thus far it's been working nicely during gaming and normal usage. Though it does trap dust easier than my qck+

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:07:37 »
Wow, this is an excellent detailed review. I was searching for a nice mousepad and this has convinced me to go with the Shiden since I need a quality white pad. Just two quick questions:

You mentioned that the white Shiden was resistant to discoloration from getting dirty, is it still holding out well?

and

Is there any affiliate link I could use to buy one where you'd get some kickback?  :D

Thanks

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 11:27:34 »
I picked up the Zero Xsoft L in Black (also comes in VE and Mid as per their website).  It's pretty soft but only if you consciously sink your wrist into it.  Otherwise it's an excellent pad - got great speed and the control is noticeably there; definitely better than my QcK+ (albeit it was REALLY worn out). 

I then also purchased the Hein VE L in Red the next day.  The glide is excellent with my SS Sensei; the only minor con I've found is that the friction can get to be a bit too much on my wrist (bottom of palm area) after long sessions.

I gotta say these pads are awesome and IMO worth the premium, which is not that much more than a QcK+ when you order the Artisans from Amazon and have a Prime membership; the VE was ~$25 shipped and the Zero was ~$38 shipped.  Seems they are all in stock in Amazon's warehouses through a company called 'USER SIDE'

I'm debating trying either the Hein Mid or the Hayate next.  Is the Hein Mid noticeably different than the Hein VE?
ReΛlforce 87UB EK