Author Topic: You probably get this question a lot  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Needhelp

You probably get this question a lot
« on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:24:13 »
I've decided to switch over to a mechanical keyboard but I can't decide which switch to get. The game I'll be using the keyboard is called "Dragon Nest" and I'm a PvP player. The PvP in the game requires fast movement and combos.. I'll give some info on what I'll be doing...

Pressing shift, A LOT (It's the dodge button)
WASD
QERXFCTGV1 for my skills
The game requires fast combos, I'll need a keyboard that I can animation cancel easy with
I will NOT use this keyboard for typing

Here's a video of a PvP if that will help

Offline Johan

Re: You probably get this question a lot
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:31:49 »
I'd say Reds, The lightest switch and  linear so no tactile bumps just smoothness the entire way down.
That game looks intense, how much practice does it take before you can play at a decent level?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:34:10 by Johan »
Uh, stuff.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:39:57 »
Mx Reds no doubt. Maybe even with o-rings to cut down the travel of the switch.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Needhelp

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:44:05 »
I'd say Reds, The lightest switch and  linear so no tactile bumps just smoothness the entire way down.
That game looks intense, how much practice does it take before you can play at a decent level?

The games PvP is equalized so gear plays no roll in it, it's all skill vs skill. The only thing that affects PvP are Skill crets (found in game, can be bought for in game gold) Technique rings (adds an extra level to a skill, farmed in game. takes 15 minutes to get enough stuff for them. All mats can be bought for cheap) and your skill build. And the practice depends on your class, some classes reach a "decent" level quicker than others, some can get at a "pro" level a lot faster. But getting to a godly level of play takes years probably. To answer your question, anywhere from 2-4 months.

Offline Johan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:49:20 »
To answer your question, anywhere from 2-4 months.
I think I'll be happy with Starcraft for now. :)
Uh, stuff.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 05:51:44 »
Just use what ever switch you like best.

Offline Needhelp

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:23:08 »
Problem is I've never been able to use a mechanical keyboard before, this will be my first.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:29:19 »
Id sugest finding a way to try some out also mechanical peroid is better so just pic the one you think youll like most based on description of the switch or keyboard.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 06:53:39 »
Or if you can't try one in person, do as I did, buy one of each common switch keyboard :P
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 09:35:36 »
i always recommend browns to anyone who's up in the air -- i had the same done for me and never thought it was a bad decision.  i think if you're doing combos something like a tactile bump would be very useful so you know exactly when you can release the key and move onto the next one.  it's not so much a conscious process as something you develop a feel for, but i've used linear switches before and i can't imagine those being any good for extremely precise sequences.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 09:40:36 »
black switch to train your fingers. your girlfriend may learn to appreciate..or not

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 09:49:29 »
blacks, browns, or reds... really doesn't matter what you choose imho.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 10:57:58 »
Unrelated to the thread itself, but related to the game you play.

Did you knew that the Chinese branch of Razer sells a limited Razer Goliathus Dragon Nest mousepad?

I don't even play the game, but I wanted it for the art and bought one:

*Leh Combo*

These are sold by Chinese sellers on websites such as Aliexpress and may be found in eBay as well. I bought mine here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Boxed-Razer-Goliathus-Dragon-Valley-Limited-Edition-Mouse-pad-Size-355-x-245-x-4mm/454732242.html

And it's really original.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:30:02 »
I can't believe people play this crap...  waste of a good keyboard.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:49:48 »
I can't believe people bother posting posts that don't contribute to anything, waste of good bandwidth.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 11:54:24 »
it's a tp4tissue post whut u expect bro?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline firebt

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 12:26:35 »

I don't see why you post this crap either.  Waste of good page space.

Anyways,

I'd say if you want precise, quick sequences, go for Black.  It's a bit stiffer than Red, which may not be good to have precise combos since they're so light. 

Don't even consider Blue, obviously.  Double taps are terrible on blues, and they're mainly for typing. 

Browns are inbetween, not a bad choice.  Personally though, I thought Browns felt like a rough Red switch with sand in it that produces a bump at a set point.  I really didn't like the feel, but that's just me.  Not sure if you like tactile feedback, but go for Browns if you do. Otherwise, for good gaming, go black.  Not good for typing though, very stiff, but you said you don't even need to type on this keyboard anyway.

FYI this game looks pretty cool.  Imma look into it hahaha.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:27:19 »
get a sample kit?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:59:07 »
get a sample kit?
great idea i completely forgot about those

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 17:37:57 »
First of all, welcome to Geekhack!

Pressing the switches in the sample kit (I have one btw) is not the same as playing a fast-paced game on a keyboard.  At best you will be able to feel the difference between tactile and non-tactile switches.

Assuming you want Cherry MX, blue is out due to the activation/release point difference.  Browns are debatable.

Probably reds or blacks would be best.  I would suggest blacks if you have strong fingers, as the stronger springs will bounce the keys back up quicker ready for the next press.

Someone suggested O-rings - a good idea as they not only reduce the bottoming out sound, but also reduce the keystroke length, probably allowing for faster represses.

If your fingers are not as strong, or you get fatigue from playing for too long, then try reds.

Or like MissMurd3r84 suggested, get one red and one black and try both, and then sell the one you like the least (or just keep both and put custom key caps on the second one).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 00:38:05 »
Cherry Red with O-Rings FTW!

If you are not elite enough to hand Red then Cherry Black with O-Rings will work for you for sure.

If u r 1337 and wanna pwn newbs get Reds or Blacks.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 06:13:23 »
Oh and 'needhelp' you may find this thread of interest :0