Author Topic: mechanicals in japan or korea  (Read 4016 times)

Offline brialona

mechanicals in japan or korea
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 04:18:56 »
i will be going to korea and japan next month for vacation.  Are there any brick and mortar stores that sell mechanical keyboards?  Will it be cheaper than buying it in the US online?  I will be in  tokyo and seoul.

Thanks!
ozil

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
Re: mechanicals in japan or korea
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 04:29:16 »
Korean keyboard  i believed called, ndigital or smthing. AND  skydigital

example of skydigital keyboard my friend bought . http://www.buykingkorea.com/skydigital-nkeyboard-mechanic-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-switch-brown.html

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 04:53:24 »

example of skydigital keyboard my friend bought . http://www.buykingkorea.com/skydigital-nkeyboard-mechanic-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-switch-brown.html
That really doesn't look all that special or as if it's anything out of the ordinary for the price of it, sadly.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline brialona

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 05:38:32 »
Are there any stores there that sell buckling springs or Alps? Or maybe poker?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
ozil

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 05:44:24 »
Pokers are pretty easy to find in Akihabara, Tokyo, or at least they were five months ago. I don't think I saw Pokers in the larger stores (such as Yodobashi), but I'm sure I saw them in a lot of smaller stores. Spend a day in Akiba and you'll find just about everything when it comes to modern keyboards. <:

As for buckling springs I have no idea, but there ought to be some "second hand" shops that carry stuff like that. If anyone knows I'm interested. :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 07:55:48 »
Why are you guys putting in leg time on something you can buy ONLINE...... Even if it cost a little more... seriously, I hate walking/running/driving/moving from my computer chair in general.

Offline jspark

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:06:57 »
From what I know, I don't think you can buy buckling spring switches and assemble it into a keyboard unless you have a plate and a pcb for the switch, which is very unusual.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:12:03 »
Keep your eye out for Compaq Cherry G80-11802LPAJA if you are in used shop. One of the very few G80 model that was made in JIS as far as I know. Also keep eye out for any cool vintage boards, like Sony NEWS.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:31:56 »

That really doesn't look all that special or as if it's anything out of the ordinary for the price of it, sadly.

Pretty sure that one's just the old (non-Costar) wireless Filco made non-wireless (though it still has vestigial battery compartments).

They do have a newer model ("Mechanic 2") which shares its form factor with the HEC Cougar Attack X, but with some differences in features:

PS/2 NKRO, macro keys (unusual with PS/2) with on-the-fly recording, game mode for windows lock but also with "Response Speed Boost" (probably some form of repeat-response tweaking, like on a Zowie and some other PS/2 keyboards), even a few media keys...the feature list actually isn't half bad, though the size and layout are rather unfortunate, and quality is unknown. Also, it's starting to show up on eBay now, so you wouldn't actually have to go to Korea to get it.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline brialona

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:17:07 »
Pokers are pretty easy to find in Akihabara, Tokyo, or at least they were five months ago. I don't think I saw Pokers in the larger stores (such as Yodobashi), but I'm sure I saw them in a lot of smaller stores. Spend a day in Akiba and you'll find just about everything when it comes to modern keyboards. <:

As for buckling springs I have no idea, but there ought to be some "second hand" shops that carry stuff like that. If anyone knows I'm interested. :p

thanks this was the answer i was looking for.  i am planning to visit akihabara also.  is there anything i should know about buying pokers?  what is the average price for one if you buy at a store?
ozil

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:25:39 »

Pretty sure that one's just the old (non-Costar) wireless Filco made non-wireless (though it still has vestigial battery compartments).

I believe the company made it for the SC2 player FruitDealer using the blueprints for the wireless Filco, because he liked the Filco but he's probably sponsored by Skydigital or something and has to use their gear.
Something like that is what I've heard at least.