Author Topic: Mouse upgrade  (Read 5172 times)

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Mouse upgrade
« on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:42:07 »
Okay, i'm going to be upgrading my mouse soon. I want PERSONAL OPINIONS on the best mouse i can get for the money. I would ideally like to keep it below $80 bucks, but we'll see what happens. The reason i'm asking for personal opinions on the best mouse is because i've read the reviews, ive seen the pros and cons of the different mice on the market, but i just wanna hear what you guys think is best, even if its just because it looks rad sitting on your desk. Thanks :D

I suppose it would be relevant for me to mention my current mouse is a razer deathadder 1st generation.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
Re: Mouse upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:58:53 »
From my absolute personal experience, I can highly recommend the Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse.
It's listed for $70 on Logitech's Website, but you can find it much cheaper elsewhere.
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:01:38 »
g500, acceleration problems.. go with G400, perfect tracking.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:04:25 »
From my absolute personal experience, I can highly recommend the Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse.
It's listed for $70 on Logitech's Website, but you can find it much cheaper elsewhere.
Thanks for the suggestion Razor :), i would like to find something a little bit slimmer, but i'll look into this one a bit.
Having a bad day?

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:08:12 »
I've tried out the G400 and found that it isn't that comfortable. Plus I have never personally noticed the acceleration problems of the G500,
I mean if you aren't a mouse fanatic, then you probably won't notice a thing.

Thanks for the suggestion Razor :), i would like to find something a little bit slimmer, but i'll look into this one a bit.
NP ^_^
And also, the G500 isn't actually that big of a mouse compared to many others out there (RAT, various Razer, etc.)
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:08:34 »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 01:30:13 »
G700 or G600 i have found these only pertain to those who like palm grip though...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 06:20:41 »
If you want something small I would recommend the Razer Abyssus, I'm using mine right now and it's surprisingly comfortable even though I mostly prefer larger mice like the G400 and the DeathAdder.
The Razer Lachesis is also worth a look, it's got such a unique shape and looks really sleek.

Best mouse for the money is probably the G400, it's such an amazing mouse, after they fixed the sensor I have a hard time not recommending it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 12:11:03 »
If you want something small I would recommend the Razer Abyssus, I'm using mine right now and it's surprisingly comfortable even though I mostly prefer larger mice like the G400 and the DeathAdder.
The Razer Lachesis is also worth a look, it's got such a unique shape and looks really sleek.

Best mouse for the money is probably the G400, it's such an amazing mouse, after they fixed the sensor I have a hard time not recommending it.

they didn't "FIX" the sensor, as the original sensor wasn't broken.. It was tuned differently "with" prediction, and the new versions are "without prediction"

Prediction makes straight line movements easier, so games with blocky opstacles like counterstrike benefit from prediction, because you can shoot straight across the edges...

But other games with more irregular shapes may be better "without" prediction.

That said... I prefer no prediction, because i'm super awesome period and can follow straight lines without it.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 12:19:32 »
I suggest you try out if you like angle snapping. Then try out what speed you require the mouse to still track.

Lastly: Pick a mouse which can track linearly up to at least that speed, and which allows for your preference in angle snapping, as well as feels comfortable, especially button number and loctaions.

Why? Lift off distance and such can be modified with the mosue pad, angle snapping however can't be changed as easily. Therefore, I suggest you focus on those aspects with the mouse.

I like the mx500.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 12:31:49 »
Get a Razer Naga 2012

Use the medium-sized grip. The other two are worthless. I epoxied my mid-size grip to the mouse, so you would have to break it now to remove the grip. It feels so much more solid now.

Don't worry about the Z axis problem. It's trivial.

I have a few of these mice... I tried the Logitech G600 but couldn't find a use for the stupid G-Shift button. If somebody got me one, I think I'd Bondo the G-shift button in place, which would be a gross waste of money.

Once you get used to entering data with the thumb-pad on the Naga.... the tenkey on a keyboard seems ridiculous.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:27:51 »
Thanks for all the replies. @flip: I had a naga before, and it came up that after a few months it started giving me this problem where every click was a double click. I cleaned it out and everything, nothing could save it. I'm looking into the logitech mice, but i think that the G400 is my favorite looking one so far, it seems like it is less bulky than the rest, which is what im looking for. The G9x looks good but sort of small. Right now i'm thinking about the Deathadder 2013 considering how long my current mouse has lasted me.
Having a bad day?

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 16:51:35 »
Newegg is having a sale on the Corsair M60 right now, $35 with the promo code on the page and $15 MIR. I've heard pretty good things about it overall.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816006&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL010813&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL010813-_-EMC-010813-Index-_-Mice-_-26816006-L017D
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 17:11:47 »

they didn't "FIX" the sensor, as the original sensor wasn't broken.. It was tuned differently "with" prediction, and the new versions are "without prediction"

Prediction makes straight line movements easier, so games with blocky opstacles like counterstrike benefit from prediction, because you can shoot straight across the edges...

But other games with more irregular shapes may be better "without" prediction.

That said... I prefer no prediction, because i'm super awesome period and can follow straight lines without it.
Thing is; prediction and acceleration are both things that have their uses, but it shouldn't be there on a hardware level, you should be able to choose if you want them or not. I'm not sure if optical sensors are more limited than laser, but on my G9x I can turn on prediction, aka angle snapping, in the software. However, if the only way to get prediction in optical sensors is on the hardware level I don't really mind that there are mice out there with it because, as you pointed out, there are certainly people who would benefit from it. I just think it should be optional, that's all.

You may find it amusing that I should choose to use G9x as an example as that has hardware acceleration, something I really wish it didn't have, but this is a problem with how laser sensors in general work from what I've heard, so it's not just Logitech making bad decisions.

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 17:22:56 »
man.. i just can't give u an one solid answer. I've tried so many mice and i just have to say,

1. it's up to what games or other things u do with a pc
2. ur hand size
3. ur style of grip

If i have to choose just one mouse, g9x.

cuz it's good for a small hand without a grip or with the small grip but also good for a big hand with the big grip.
generally people use this mouse for RTS or just normal pc use.

Deathadder is overall good for everything but especially good for FPS imo.

if you wanna try something else, i want to recommend Steelseries Sensei.
DO NOT get Steelseries Kana or other ones except Sensei since they use TTC switches not Omron switches.
bloody hard to click.

It would be love or hate since you are so used to Razer products.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:21:50 »
man.. i just can't give u an one solid answer. I've tried so many mice and i just have to say,

1. it's up to what games or other things u do with a pc
2. ur hand size
3. ur style of grip

If i have to choose just one mouse, g9x.

cuz it's good for a small hand without a grip or with the small grip but also good for a big hand with the big grip.
generally people use this mouse for RTS or just normal pc use.

Deathadder is overall good for everything but especially good for FPS imo.

if you wanna try something else, i want to recommend Steelseries Sensei.
DO NOT get Steelseries Kana or other ones except Sensei since they use TTC switches not Omron switches.
bloody hard to click.

It would be love or hate since you are so used to Razer products.
Yeah, I was looking into the Sensei, but im glad you mentioned the other steelseries mice as well because i wouldn't have known to stay away from those otherwise. Right now im leaning toward the new 2013 Deathadder still.
Having a bad day?

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:15:45 »
I have my G500 for years now, I can't complain.
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:24:22 »
G500, it's like an upgraded version of my G5 which I like except for the God **** ******* scroll wheel which was designed to register clicks differently than it actually clicks, sometimes not registering, and sometimes registering twice since the scaling is off.  Logitech finally caught on that this design was complete garbage and redesigned them and advertise them now as "Click to Click" like it's a new invention!  I returned my G5 three times thinking I was getting defective ones until I realized that they actually made them that way on purpose.   Also never get a wireless mouse.  Anything electronic within a few miles of them will cause them to unlink with the receiver.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:27:05 by PointyFox »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 02:13:45 »
If you like symmetrical, I can't recommend the Sensei highly enough. Oddly, the Taipan is actually a really solid mouse.

If you want ergonomics, then go with a DeathAdder, or G400. To the guy that said the G400 wasn't comfortable but the G500 was: dafuq?

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:58:50 »
So I was clicking my Sensei next to the Kana and was noticing the difference in amount of force required for a click.  The Kana does require quite a bit more over the Sensei.  I really enjoyed my Sensei, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 00:18:09 »
Stick with a deathadder if you like it, you wont get much better even more bizarre is it doesn't really get much better than the first gen.

Other solid mice seem to be: Anything using the Avago 3090 optical sensor (cm storm spawn/recon, new RAT3, Roccat savu. some odd genius gaming mouse), infrared avago sensor razer mice and the sensei...

I am using a razer abyssus much better than my cruddy laser mice, if my hands were bigger I'd probably have a death adder or Recon/spawn.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:48:36 »
If you like symmetrical, I can't recommend the Sensei highly enough. Oddly, the Taipan is actually a really solid mouse.

If you want ergonomics, then go with a DeathAdder, or G400. To the guy that said the G400 wasn't comfortable but the G500 was: dafuq?

ROR

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:43:13 »
Zowie am or any other variant (FG, GS) only 50$ and has the best optical sensor, I have the FG version. Great for practically any games and the omron switches can get used to fairly quickly.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline kboardvintage

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:34:42 »

+1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:28:01 »
I have owned a Deathadder, Logitech G9x, Mamba, and a Mionix 5000. The best out of all these, in my personal opinion, is the Mionix hands down. The worst is the Mamba.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:57:49 »
I have owned a Deathadder, Logitech G9x, Mamba, and a Mionix 5000. The best out of all these, in my personal opinion, is the Mionix hands down. The worst is the Mamba.
Really? The 5k is the one I'd be the most wary about recommending; the only sensor I have that is as picky and unpredictable is the one in my Habu. I really wish I got the 3200 or waited for the 8200(?). It's not a horrible mouse, though, and I'm not saying people shouldn't buy it, just be a bit careful. I've used the 5k for nearly a week on my laptop just now, and it's a pretty good mouse, but I would recommend making sure you buy one from a store you can trust in case you want to return it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:02:41 »
Really? The 5k is the one I'd be the most wary about recommending; the only sensor I have that is as picky and unpredictable is the one in my Habu. I really wish I got the 3200 or waited for the 8200(?). It's not a horrible mouse, though, and I'm not saying people shouldn't buy it, just be a bit careful. I've used the 5k for nearly a week on my laptop just now, and it's a pretty good mouse, but I would recommend making sure you buy one from a store you can trust in case you want to return it.
It's the only one out of those I've owned that I've never had any technical problems with. Well, I never had any issues with the Logitech either, I just find it uncomfortable and a bit too small for my taste. The Deathadder had a jumpy sensor and Razer replaced it with a refurbished model that has noticeable damage to the outer shell, but otherwise worked fine. The Mamba has been replaced 3 times, and even the 3rd one does not work properly. The sensor is jumpy, it randomly dies even on a full charge, it's heavy as hell, extremely pricy, and one of the battery started leaking randomly damaging the mouse internals. After that I will never get another Razer product.One of the plastic lips on the weight doors of my 5k did break, but I contacted Mionix and they sent me 2 replacements and a new set of weights for free no questions asked, which arrived in 3 days so I was impressed by that as well.
I also had a Razer Boomslang which actually may have been the most reliable and stable mouse I've ever had even being a ball mouse. It was my daily for almost 6 years until it got chewed up by a friends puppy. I don't know if they still make it, but if you want an excellent no frills mouse I would very highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:15:57 by noisyturtle »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:46:39 »
noisyturtle: How is the Mionix for lifting up? I don't mean the lift-off distance, but in terms of grip. I was concerned the body might be a bit too wide, to be able to pick it up really quickly, but how is it for you?

Also, if you're looking for a Boomslang replacement, there is the (relatively) new Razer Taipan, which follows a similar form factor. But then again, as you said, it is from Razer. I did own it for a couple of months, though, and I really liked it. I returned it to try other mice, but I'm thinking of picking it up again.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 02:20:40 »
Oh, I actually don't lift(there's a joke in there somewhere) it's really bad for lifting because the design is contoured in such a way that it almost slips out of my hand mostly due to the pinky rest not allowing for a fully formed grip around the body of the mouse. I'm a lazy gamer, just crank up the dpi and make slight gestures with my wrist.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 03:31:41 »
Oh, I actually don't lift(there's a joke in there somewhere) it's really bad for lifting because the design is contoured in such a way that it almost slips out of my hand mostly due to the pinky rest not allowing for a fully formed grip around the body of the mouse. I'm a lazy gamer, just crank up the dpi and make slight gestures with my wrist.
Yeah, the Naos shape is really bad for lifting, I wouldn't recommend it to a low sense gamer. It's not all that difficult to pick up, but your pinky will hate you after gaming sessions, and you risk slipping and dropping the mouse.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 04:41:14 »
Naos 5K hasn't the best A9500 implementation, if that isn't a limitation for your settings I think it's a decent mouse, although not one for me.

Zowie am or any other variant (FG, GS) only 50$ and has the best optical sensor, I have the FG version. Great for practically any games and the omron switches can get used to fairly quickly.
I would argue that a stock A3090 is better. ;)
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.