Author Topic: Das Keyboard Switch Mod  (Read 3684 times)

Offline rek55

Das Keyboard Switch Mod
« on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 12:45:06 »
Took some time last night to swap some of the switches in my Das keyboard. I had hoped I would just be able to swap the stems without desoldering, but wasn't so lucky.

I had 5 reds and 3 blues. All 3 blues and 1 of the reds were the pcb-mounted style so I ended up swapping their base with the base of the switches I desoldered instead of trying to trim the stems.

It begins. These keyboards are extremely solidly built and harder to open up than a mac mini! It took an hour just to open the case, but I managed to do so without breaking any of the clips.

Not too bad soldering work, if I do say so myself. The board looks a little singed, but it all still works. :)
Swapping the keys took probably about 2-3 hours.

The reds.

The blues (I also have one blue on the scroll lock, which I used as my initial test).

And finally, 8 browns... The aftermath. 4 of the browns are plate-mounted, anyone need any switches? I'd love to trade for some other types of switches, especially blacks or clears, although I wouldn't mind a red or a blue for a keychain or something. :D

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline rek55

Re: Das Keyboard Switch Mod
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 12:48:59 »
Logic behind the mod:

Blues under the Esc and Caps Lock key for clicky fun and to make it really obvious if I accidentally hit the caps lock.
Reds under the arrow keys and backspace so I can tap them more rapidly. The tactile bump was extremely annoying on the arrow keys while programming.

I think I'd prefer a black under the backspace key instead of a red, and a clear under the spacebar and enter keys. One day.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 23:23:28 »
Looking great, one of these days I need to start a project for myself. Various switches on one board has always been one I've wanted to try.
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline rek55

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:06:45 »
errrm... WHY.......................??????
Because Cherry Browns were annoying to try to click rapidly (arrow keys and backspace), and then... because I was already changing some keys and having a couple clicky keys if fun (and practical on the caps lock!)

Offline rek55

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:07:21 »
Looking great, one of these days I need to start a project for myself. Various switches on one board has always been one I've wanted to try.
Honestly the hardest part was opening the keyboard. Changing out the switches was rather straightforward.

Offline firebt

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:20:40 »

Wait...what's the issue? I think it's a fine mod.   I just like having all my keys uniform, but I must admit I was contemplating that too as well.

Offline rek55

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 14:46:06 »

Wait...what's the issue? I think it's a fine mod.   I just like having all my keys uniform, but I must admit I was contemplating that too as well.
I agree on keeping them uniform, but the arrow keys I use very differently than any of the other keys on my keyboard, and I felt like the "tactile bump" was slowing me down while coding.
The Esc and Caps Lock keys still feel the same though since blues and browns are very similar, so those are merely a bit of extra feedback (one of which actually provides some use). I also have a blue under the scroll lock but that is obviously useless. :D
I'm not sure I actually like the red under the backspace. I think a stronger spring might help (blacks instead of reds)... or maybe the bump is actually important on that one so i can really feel how many times I've pressed it.

Offline firebt

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 15:45:20 »

I agree on keeping them uniform, but the arrow keys I use very differently than any of the other keys on my keyboard, and I felt like the "tactile bump" was slowing me down while coding.
The Esc and Caps Lock keys still feel the same though since blues and browns are very similar, so those are merely a bit of extra feedback (one of which actually provides some use). I also have a blue under the scroll lock but that is obviously useless. :D
I'm not sure I actually like the red under the backspace. I think a stronger spring might help (blacks instead of reds)... or maybe the bump is actually important on that one so i can really feel how many times I've pressed it.

Yeah, I get what you mean.  I was highly considering putting blues in the caps lock and maybe some modifiers (play Moba games a bit so i would like to know when I'm about to use a skill versus an item lol).  The tactile bumps I'm sure help, too used to my Reds though ;P

Offline rek55

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 16:53:38 »
If I used my keyboard primarily for gaming I think I'd switch to reds full-stop, but my old keyboard was fine for that use too.
I would definitely at least recommend the blue in the Esc. It's so much fun when the rest of your keyboard is typically so quiet. :)

Offline firebt

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:19:17 »
If I used my keyboard primarily for gaming I think I'd switch to reds full-stop, but my old keyboard was fine for that use too.
I would definitely at least recommend the blue in the Esc. It's so much fun when the rest of your keyboard is typically so quiet. :)

I just thought the blues in the Caps was a really good idea since I really want to know when I hit the Caps or not, vs the Shift and stuff. 

Offline rek55

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:37:04 »
Plus if all the rest of your keys are reds, there will be a little bit of extra resistance to accidentally hitting it!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:39:40 »
You should switch all the keys to red for kicks.  You can be the first MX Red Das Keyboard  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline firebt

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:35:12 »
Plus if all the rest of your keys are reds, there will be a little bit of extra resistance to accidentally hitting it!

Very true, very true.  Duly noted.  I just ordered some switches from WASD, some browns and blacks.  I already have some blues...I am heavily considering but I hate taking off this damn plastic cover...lol hurts my finger nails.