Author Topic: Logitech G710+ or Ducky Shine 2  (Read 8668 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Logitech G710+ or Ducky Shine 2
« on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 08:37:18 »
Looking to upgrade my filco, I just found out I absolutely require backlight. I live in singapore so buying max keyboard/ wads keyboard is not the best idea for my wallet

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
Re: Logitech G710+ or Ducky Shine 2
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:48:35 »
filco is already good :p ... but i lived in singapore too, you do online order to buy your filco ah?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 10:28:23 »
Both are actually going to feel like a downgrade typing feel wise.  But if you absolutely need backlight I'd go for Ducky.

Just be warned if you come from Costar stabilizer then going to Cherry stabilizer might take some getting used to.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline terran5992

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 16:15:07 »
Or do you guys think its better to wait for new keyboards like ducky shine 3 or filco mj3?

Or what's your opinion on the rosewill rk9100.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2013, 16:53:16 by terran5992 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 16:58:49 »
Or do you guys think its better to wait for new keyboards like ducky shine 3 or filco mj3?

that's a 6 month thing... How many six months do you have in a lifetime.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:07:59 »
filco is already good :p ... but i lived in singapore too, you do online order to buy your filco ah?

I bought it at sim lim square

What do you mean it's a 6 month thing?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:13:56 »

I bought it at sim lim square

What do you mean it's a 6 month thing?

it'll be another 6 months before you can reliably get the new mj3 or a ds3.. though honestly I don't see it happening even within that time frame.

But yea, related note.... the Logitech is a POS... stay away...  The shine 2 is the best backlit out that you can buy right now..

The stabilizer thing is not a huge issue, because you can clip the cherry stabilizer stems to make it feel "more crisp" like the costar.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:42:20 »

The more realistic choice would be wait for the Rosewill Helios RK-9200.  Then it will be a Costar backlit board.

OR

Buy a desk lamp lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline terran5992

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:48:21 »

The more realistic choice would be wait for the Rosewill Helios RK-9200.  Then it will be a Costar backlit board.

OR

Buy a desk lamp lol.

Hmm I don't like the backlit colour on the rk2100 .
Just to clarify , does corstar make stabilizers only or do they make keybpard as well?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 20:02:58 »

OR

Buy a desk lamp lol.

Hmm I don't like the backlit colour on the rk2100 .
Just to clarify , does corstar make stabilizers only or do they make keybpard as well?

Costar Makes:

Filco
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid
CM Storm QuickFire XT
CM Storm Trigger
WASD Keyboards
Das Keyboard Ultimate
Das Keyboard Mac Edition
Thermaltake MEKA G1
Zowie Celeritas
Mionix Zibal 60
Rosewill RK-9000
Rosewill Helios RK-9200

To be honestly I don't like the Rosewill Helios RK-9200 color either, I'm hoping they'll release different color led versions later  :P

Offline jabar

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 21:27:43 »
Having Costar stabilizers are nice but not a make-or-break like Hyde is making it.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline terran5992

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:45:50 »
Hmmm, what do you guys think about the rk 9100?

Offline TAdams

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 01:40:42 »
I have a logitech G710+, and while there are a few things I dislike about it, overall it is a good kb. I am curious why everyone calls it junk.

If you want dedicated macro keys, and backlighting your options are slim, but growing. I did look at the Shine II briefly, but I like dedicated macro keys.

The G710+ could have used some engineering love by triming the sides off where the bevels are. No issues with lights aside of one (Y) being a bit dimmer than the others. the front height seems a bit high as well.
i want to unsee that - eyebleach plz!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 03:00:26 »
I have a logitech G710+, and while there are a few things I dislike about it, overall it is a good kb. I am curious why everyone calls it junk.

If you want dedicated macro keys, and backlighting your options are slim, but growing. I did look at the Shine II briefly, but I like dedicated macro keys.

The G710+ could have used some engineering love by triming the sides off where the bevels are. No issues with lights aside of one (Y) being a bit dimmer than the others. the front height seems a bit high as well.

Hey TAdams, just a few known defects.. Not junk... I may have spoken a bit roughly, and I am realizing that it makes people sad.. so there you go... Not junk..

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 10:59:16 »
I have some experience with a Rosewill RK-9100 (brown switches).  In short, I didn't care for it initially, but that was before I purchased my own mechanical keyboard.  Now I can deal with it a little easier, but I still prefer my Ducky with MX Greens.

Here's what I didn't like:
  • I found the MX Browns to be "scratchy" and "unrefined."  I've seen other reviewers use those terms and I agree with them.
  • The weird coating on the keys was unappealing to me, but that is quite subjective.  Many reviewers on Newegg indicate that they really love that coating.
  • Reviewers on Newegg also make note of the ridiculously bright Caps/Num/Scroll Lock lights.  They aren't kidding!  Those LEDs are way too bright, and cannot be dimmed with the rest of the keys.
  • The illumination settings are not saved between reboots and sleep cycles.
  • The layout of the bottom row of keys is non-standard; this makes the use of custom key caps nearly impossible, and I'm not sure if it is possible to order replacement caps if the coating wears off.
  • You need two available USB ports to use it.  The second one powers the LEDs.

What I did like:
  • It isn't a rubber dome cheapo board.
  • The illumination, while initially bright, can be dialed down to a reasonable level and looks nice.
  • The cable is attached to the case.  The non-illuminated RK-9000s suffer from weak internal mounting of the receptacle for the removable USB cable.  A removable cable just seems like a dumb idea for a heavy full-sized board that is unlikely to be used during travel.  It would only be truly useful for those who have multiple keyboards and switch among them frequently.
  • Now that I have experience with a mechanical keyboard, I find the typing experience much nicer than I originally found it, and I can crank out a respectable WPM with good accuracy.  Previously, I'd been put off by the light actuation of the MX Browns and the constant bottoming out.
  • The retractable risers/stands/feet/whatever-you-call-them have rubber pads on them to prevent sliding around.
  • The logo is understated compared to the RK-9000.

You can read the details of my experience here and a little more in this review of my Ducky.

Offline TAdams

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 23:07:14 »

Hey TAdams, just a few known defects.. Not junk... I may have spoken a bit roughly, and I am realizing that it makes people sad.. so there you go... Not junk..

tp4tissue

Not sad at all, I am no fanboy  ;) I was simply looking for things that people find wrong with the board in specific. The backlighting of the keys going out in the reviews did concern me prior to purchase.  And so many it seemed from reading. It made me think someone was getting them too hot during soldering. Or they simply did not QC them at all. I was also not real fond of "white" backlighting... Mixed on the "fixed" cord - but like it better than the mini USB that pokes out the back on some boards with no protection that can easily bend.
i want to unsee that - eyebleach plz!