Author Topic: Hello from DC  (Read 1811 times)

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
Hello from DC
« on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:38:11 »
So the other day I was just hanging out on Twitch TV watching some streams.  All of a sudden there is a guy in there dropping all sorts of knowledge about keyboards.  I thought I was decently knowledgeable on the subject, but soon realized there was so much more out there.  Sent a couple of private messages back and forth and he said well he is part of a wonderful community of people who are all about keyboards.  The one warning he had was that money will be spent.  I was OK with that so here I am.

I have a few keyboards right now.  I'm currently typing on a Noppoo Choc Mini (brown), and also have a Filco Tenkeyless (blue), Leopold Fullsize (brown), Logitech G710+, and Steel Series 7G.  The past day or so I have just been reading the forums and really enjoy how much I have learned.  There is certainly a lot more to keyboards than I ever expected, and I love it.  So a special thanks to Nikogasm to pointing me here!

-verb

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from DC
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:42:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice collection you have, but it is only just brushing the surface ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:08:12 »
That is what I quickly learned.  I was just drooling looking at all of the different things that were around.  Some amazing stuff!

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 07:29:56 »
Very cool. There's always great content in the keyboard section :)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:18:32 »
Welcome! 

Nice to see other new members in the Greater-DC area, I'm about 30 miles out of the District in VA.

The Noppoo Choc Mini is exactly the board I got for work, to replace the flexi flyer that came with the docking station.  It took a little getting used to, especially the smaller footprint, but now I start the day with a grin once I start hitting those keys!  I thought I'd miss the keypad, but apart from entering a phone number once in a while it's no loss at all.

How is the Leopold board? I see one one on Ebay, with Cherry MX Red switches.  Is your Leopold board also the "otaku" version with blank key caps?

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:51:20 »
I do not have the Leopold with the blank caps.  I like it, but don't use it nearly as much as my Noppoo and my Filco.  Think I may have to attempt to lube the Leopold and see how the switches feel after.  Seems I have quite a few boards with brown switches.

Offline whiskerBox

Hello from DC
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:54:05 »
Brown switches are 1 of my favorites, so your good in my book :)

Welcome to GH
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:43:34 »
Welcome! What were you watching on Twitch TV? SC2 streams?

Nikogasm was the guy on the stream that referred you? lol I'm suppose to be modding his keyboard, but he learned enough to do it himself so I'm just shipping it back to him.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:58:07 »
Welcome to GH!

The brown switches are my favorite. I also owned a Leopold but sold it because of he weird spacebar.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:01:50 »
Brown switches are my least favorite... the best description i've come up with thus far had been..

You move your hands across the long legs of a tall supermodel, and  in the middle of her leg, there's a bump... and it's melanoma//cancer...

That is what brown feels like to me... You're better off going for Red for a pure smooth travel experience.