Author Topic: Warped filco fixes?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Johan

Warped filco fixes?
« on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 15:48:44 »
So I've had this keyboard for a couple months now, and I've began noticing a slight bend in the board just recently(It's been really, really cold here so that could be a explanation). I've tried gently "flexing" it back and forth and It semi-works. It removes the wobbly feeling but now it  has a "thud" sound in different areas of the board depending on how I flex It, Are there any recommended fixes for this issue? Or just I just try to return it?
Uh, stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Warped filco fixes?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 16:16:41 »
How cold,, frozen trees cold?

get an aluminum case... the 2nd batch vortex cases are much improved.. you can get them at mechanical keyboard.com

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:33:17 »
Is it a fullsize? If it is, it is probably pivoting on the center plastic stand. Just hold the center upwards and gently bend the 2 sides down.

Offline Johan

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 07:35:51 »
Not really frozen trees cold, but near I guess, Really really cold for Sweden anyway. I don't really want to buy a aluminum case, the shipping would kill me, so I'd rather just return it. Its tenkeyless, I tried your fix, It didn't work.
Uh, stuff.

Offline Johan

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 14:47:09 »
Any help guys?
Uh, stuff.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 15:00:37 »
Any help guys?

One thing is to apply some torsion - grab both sides of the board and lightly twist in opposite directions. I've done this with my poker, and it seems to help.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 16:04:04 »
I recommend taking the keyboard apart, and using a blow dryer to get the warp out...   This is not easy though, nor precise.

You have to be very careful..

Heat up the affect warped area,  the side that you heat up will expand, keep that in mind when you decide on orientation.

Once you have it close to straight.. dunk it in cool water quickly to help it keep that shape.

Apply gentle pressure throughout the cooling process.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 16:47:59 »
I recommend taking the keyboard apart, and using a blow dryer to get the warp out...   This is not easy though, nor precise.

He probably wouldn't want to take it apart assuming it's returnable right now with the warranty seal unbroken. He shoulda bought a Topre, right tp?  :))

I had a Filco TKL arrive from Amazon that would only sit on three of the four rubber feet. I did a twist method like reverkiller described, and it leveled out. Not sure how warped your is. It might not work if the bend is too extreme.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:31:47 »

He probably wouldn't want to take it apart assuming it's returnable right now with the warranty seal unbroken. He shoulda bought a Topre, right tp?  :))

I had a Filco TKL arrive from Amazon that would only sit on three of the four rubber feet. I did a twist method like reverkiller described, and it leveled out. Not sure how warped your is. It might not work if the bend is too extreme.

No he should'a bought 2x quickfire rapids for the price of 1 filco.

Offline Johan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:15:30 »
There were no Quickfires, at the time, I've tried the twist(I tried to describe it with the Flexing.) But that leaves the "thud" feeling.
Uh, stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:33:26 »
There were no Quickfires, at the time, I've tried the twist(I tried to describe it with the Flexing.) But that leaves the "thud" feeling.

i guess you aught to get it returned then... buy the TKL.. there are tons of replacement cases in case this happens again