Author Topic: New Ducky Zero's are now available  (Read 29725 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
New Ducky Zero's are now available
« on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:14:09 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=ALL&size=ALL&keyword=2108&in_stock=on

No discussion on the new Ducky Zero's? Dual layered PCB, laser etched keycaps and dual layered keycaps for the 5 LED keycaps with a small line led window, USB NKRO, and the standard 4 switch types (blacks, blues, browns, and reds). All this for $75-79 + shipping? Yes please. Hopefully they'll release the tenkeyless version soon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: New Ducky Zero's are now available
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:16:25 »
That's a crazy good price for a board. If the quality is good enough, it can probably become an entry 104 board. Like Vesper said, it'd be cool to see it in TKL.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:17:28 »
What does dual layered PCB provide, functionality wise?
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:20:32 »
That's a crazy good price for a board. If the quality is good enough, it can probably become an entry 104 board. Like Vesper said, it'd be cool to see it in TKL.

That's what I'm saying. I mean I know there are some that don't really like Ducky but they haven't let me down and for that price, you really can't lose, especially as an entry keyboard. You get so much bang for the buck! I only own 104 keyboards so if they come out with a 87 key version, I'll definitely be replacing my Rosewill reds with one of those.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:20:42 »
Operating System Compatibility
Windows XP   Yes
Windows Vista   Yes
Windows 7   Yes
Mac   No

I wonder why not compatible with Mac?

So these are, what, just like other Duckys but without any backlighting?

Might give CoolerMaster a run for theirm oney.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:23:45 »
What does dual layered PCB provide, functionality wise?

I believe they provide higher level of density of components because you can have more tracks/connections.

Offline jabar

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:25:46 »
I think MechanicalKeyboards has reported keyboards not being Mac compatible while they actually are.

There are different levels of compatibility: having all the function keys present, and that NKRO hack which doesn't work well with non-Windows systems. I don't think Ducky has the NKRO hack enabled on this keyboard though (unlike the Choc Mini).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:27:27 »
Operating System Compatibility
Windows XP   Yes
Windows Vista   Yes
Windows 7   Yes
Mac   No

I wonder why not compatible with Mac?

So these are, what, just like other Duckys but without any backlighting?

Might give CoolerMaster a run for theirm oney.

Yeh, I don't anything about the whole MAC compatibility thing but it seems many of the mechanical keyboards have this issue.

I wouldn't see why it couldn't/wouldn't. More features than the CM keyboards. However, I guess it all will boil down to the standard manufacturer (Costar is better blah blah) and the classic debate of which stabilizer type is better.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:33:32 »
I think MechanicalKeyboards has reported keyboards not being Mac compatible while they actually are.

There are different levels of compatibility: having all the function keys present, and that NKRO hack which doesn't work well with non-Windows systems. I don't think Ducky has the NKRO hack enabled on this keyboard though (unlike the Choc Mini).

What is this NKRO hack you mention? I don't know how the USB NKRO works but I have tested it on Aquakey Test and the NKRO really works. You and I own the Ducky DK9008 G2 Pro Limited with the USB NKRO as long as the Shine II's. Do these have this hack or are they different? Intradasting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:35:30 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Scirocco

• Not the usual grandma!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:37:49 »
Oh yeah, they do a TKL, I would get one in a second.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:38:21 »
Two big downsides I see to this keyboard. One, it's ABS keycaps. I hate ABS. I destroy ABS. Took me less than 3 days to develop an insane amount of shine on my QF Rapid's spacebar. (It's like a damn mirror. Grrgh. I demand more PBT.)
Number two is the big one that's going to bite everyone. Those LED windows are hawt, oh yes. But they indicate two things. One, the LED's external to the switch. No big. Two, there are no existing molds with that type of windowing. Meaning any replacement keycap set is going to require two new molds to handle caps lock and num/scroll lock. And that's presuming they aren't using light pipe - now that would be an expensive keycap.

Otherwise looks pretty solid. Especially when you consider it's essentially an improved Vortex ONE ($110) with ABS instead of PBT.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jabar

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:41:51 »
What is this NKRO hack you mention? I don't know how the USB NKRO works but I have tested it on Aquakey Test and the NKRO really works. You and I own the Ducky DK9008 G2 Pro Limited with the USB NKRO as long as the Shine II's. Do these have this hack or are they different? Intradasting.
The hack is where the keyboard acts as a USB hub and connects multiple keyboard "devices" to achieve NKRO. Ducky has the NKRO vs. 6KRO as a DIP Switch option on their higher end boards (not sure about the Zero); that is where the hack is enabled/disabled.  The Noppoo Choc Mini doesn't have a means to disable the hack, so it is completely incompatible when used with some BIOSes and Mac OSes.

NKRO over USB is doable without such a hack but will require more bandwidth, which is trivial as USB are high speed ports.

For my DK9008G2Pro, I have it set on 6KRO and use a passive PS/2 adapter to get NKRO.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:49:01 »
Two big downsides I see to this keyboard. One, it's ABS keycaps. I hate ABS. I destroy ABS. Took me less than 3 days to develop an insane amount of shine on my QF Rapid's spacebar. (It's like a damn mirror. Grrgh. I demand more PBT.)
Number two is the big one that's going to bite everyone. Those LED windows are hawt, oh yes. But they indicate two things. One, the LED's external to the switch. No big. Two, there are no existing molds with that type of windowing. Meaning any replacement keycap set is going to require two new molds to handle caps lock and num/scroll lock. And that's presuming they aren't using light pipe - now that would be an expensive keycap.

Otherwise looks pretty solid. Especially when you consider it's essentially an improved Vortex ONE ($110) with ABS instead of PBT.

I don't really think they intended for this keyboard line to be on the high end but more so for the entry level, which is why they didn't include PBT keycaps. They have the DK9008 G2 Pro series for that, but being Ducky, I woudn't be surprised if they did eventually provide this line with PBT keycaps for a slightly higher price like they did with the standard DK9008's. I can understand your hate for the shining on an ABS spacebar though. I don't mind the feel but man does it look ugly when it does that.

The whole LED windowed keycaps thing you talk about, standard OEM/Cherry profile keycaps wouldn't fit? I'm confused (sorry). Are you saying that the replacement keycaps from Ducky will be expensive or that standard keycaps won't fit? If you're saying standard keycaps won't fit, that'd be an issue, for sure.

So much I don't know about keyboards :S Learning something new everyday.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:53:31 »
The hack is where the keyboard acts as a USB hub and connects multiple keyboard "devices" to achieve NKRO. Ducky has the NKRO vs. 6KRO as a DIP Switch option on their higher end boards (not sure about the Zero); that is where the hack is enabled/disabled.  The Noppoo Choc Mini doesn't have a means to disable the hack, so it is completely incompatible when used with some BIOSes and Mac OSes.

NKRO over USB is doable without such a hack but will require more bandwidth, which is trivial as USB are high speed ports.

For my DK9008G2Pro, I have it set on 6KRO and use a passive PS/2 adapter to get NKRO.

OOOO! Thank you for this new information! I had no clue how it worked but what you said makes sense. This actually explains a lot for me because the past week I've had two mechanical keyboards connected to my computer through a USB hub with my DK9008 G2 Pro having the USB NKRO on. This has lead to my keyboards needing like 1-2 minute to start working on bootup. Unfortunately I don't have a PS/2 port on my MOBO so I use the USB NKRO, but do you think there is any kind of downside to using the USB NKRO? Like more wear on the hardware, etc.?

Offline jabar

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:56:07 »
This isn't a keyboard meant for swapping keycaps or doing anything drastic other than typing. Even Filcos which sell for close to $150 use ABS keycaps; virtually every keyboard company with the exception of the premium Topre boards, Leopold (very good) and Vortex (QC inconsistent) uses ABS.

Vesper, as for the windowed keycaps, rootwyrm means that no other compatible windowed keycaps are available for what Ducky did here. Again, not a problem as it's an entry board.

I am curious though to compare the Chinese-made Zero series with the older, Taiwanese-manufactured (I think) DK1087 boards. Those supposedly had some QC issues.

Phantom 7bit

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:06:11 »

Are you sure you'd need special windowed replacement caps?

Looks like normal LED placement to me...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:06:19 »

I don't really think they intended for this keyboard line to be on the high end but more so for the entry level, which is why they didn't include PBT keycaps. They have the DK9008 G2 Pro series for that, but being Ducky, I woudn't be surprised if they did eventually provide this line with PBT keycaps for a slightly higher price like they did with the standard DK9008's. I can understand your hate for the shining on an ABS spacebar though. I don't mind the feel but man does it look ugly when it does that.

That's the confusing thing - the DK9008G2 is available with PBT. But the Zero is pretty clearly higher end in terms of appearance and function. So commence epic confusion as everyone looks and goes "wait, the 9008G2 has old style LED windows and the Zero has these really nice LEDs, 9008G2 is single layer while Zero is two layer. And they both have about the same layout but the Zero is way cheaper?"
Seriously. Do the comparison. The Zero is ahead of the 9008G2 in many regards. (It also appears to have a significantly more ergonomic Fn layer, depending where the track control buttons are.)

The whole LED windowed keycaps thing you talk about, standard OEM/Cherry profile keycaps wouldn't fit? I'm confused (sorry). Are you saying that the replacement keycaps from Ducky will be expensive or that standard keycaps won't fit? If you're saying standard keycaps won't fit, that'd be an issue, for sure.

Would standard keycaps fit? Yes. Would the LEDs be visible? No. Would standard windowed keycaps work? No - they wouldn't show the LED. You need keycaps that match that specific window layout. So this would make truly compatible keycaps more expensive because it requires a new mold to be made. Otherwise, you would basically lose the LED functionality.
My greater fear is that Ducky is using a light pipe (basically specially shaped optical plastic) as part of the keycap, which would make replacement keycaps extremely expensive - seriously, just the light pipe would probably cost near half a dollar in qty 1000+ - but could mean the LED's in front so windowed keycaps would work.

So much I don't know about keyboards :S Learning something new everyday.

Heh, I think most folks missed that little caveat. Still it looks like a very solid keyboard overall. I'm certainly giving some consideration - just want more information on the Fn layer. I can live without volume controls, but I cannot live without my track controls.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:09:27 »
This isn't a keyboard meant for swapping keycaps or doing anything drastic other than typing. Even Filcos which sell for close to $150 use ABS keycaps; virtually every keyboard company with the exception of the premium Topre boards, Leopold (very good) and Vortex (QC inconsistent) uses ABS.

Vesper, as for the windowed keycaps, rootwyrm means that no other compatible windowed keycaps are available for what Ducky did here. Again, not a problem as it's an entry board.

I am curious though to compare the Chinese-made Zero series with the older, Taiwanese-manufactured (I think) DK1087 boards. Those supposedly had some QC issues.

Oh okay, but any other standard ABS/PBT ANSI keycap set will still fit (just won't have the same look), so I'm not worried :D Thanks for the clarification.

The DK1087 may have had issues but with the quality of the newer Ducky keyboards being awesome, I don't think this will be an issue. The only issues I've seen arise are about the key switches itself being iffy but I don't think/know that this is Ducky's fault.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:10:07 »

Show Image

Ha ha! Ducky you tricksy bastards!
Dude. Look at that picture again. Notice something off? Specifically, notice that the key switch is mounted UPSIDE DOWN.
Does anybody still have molds for top positioned windowed keycaps? Hells, I've only seen one keyboard ever use them.

Offline jabar

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:15:23 »
Dude. Look at that picture again. Notice something off? Specifically, notice that the key switch is mounted UPSIDE DOWN.
Upside down mounting is pretty common; I'd venture a guess that most backlit keyboards do the same. Yes, Ducky did reinvent the wheel for those windowed keycaps, but again not something I'd worry about for the target user of the Zero.

Phantom 7bit

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:16:08 »

Show Image

Ha ha! Ducky you tricksy bastards!
Does anybody still have molds for top positioned windowed keycaps? Hells, I've only seen one keyboard ever use them.

Ah, I see...

Threw me off a little because many backlit keyboards position the switch that way, in order to illuminate the legend...hence the feeling of normal-ness when looking at a switch with LED facing in that direction. In fact, my Noppoo, which isn't backlit, has the switches facing that way as well...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:20:25 »

Show Image

Yeh, knew the keyswitch was just flipped upside down with many keyboards now for txt lighting (my own very Ducky greens have that for the WASD), but man, didn't even cross my mind when rootwyrm was talking about it. Silly me :P

That's the confusing thing - the DK9008G2 is available with PBT. But the Zero is pretty clearly higher end in terms of appearance and function. So commence epic confusion as everyone looks and goes "wait, the 9008G2 has old style LED windows and the Zero has these really nice LEDs, 9008G2 is single layer while Zero is two layer. And they both have about the same layout but the Zero is way cheaper?"
Seriously. Do the comparison. The Zero is ahead of the 9008G2 in many regards. (It also appears to have a significantly more ergonomic Fn layer, depending where the track control buttons are.)

Would standard keycaps fit? Yes. Would the LEDs be visible? No. Would standard windowed keycaps work? No - they wouldn't show the LED. You need keycaps that match that specific window layout. So this would make truly compatible keycaps more expensive because it requires a new mold to be made. Otherwise, you would basically lose the LED functionality.
My greater fear is that Ducky is using a light pipe (basically specially shaped optical plastic) as part of the keycap, which would make replacement keycaps extremely expensive - seriously, just the light pipe would probably cost near half a dollar in qty 1000+ - but could mean the LED's in front so windowed keycaps would work.

Heh, I think most folks missed that little caveat. Still it looks like a very solid keyboard overall. I'm certainly giving some consideration - just want more information on the Fn layer. I can live without volume controls, but I cannot live without my track controls.

Thank you for the in depth explanation! Really did mean it when I said I was learning something new :D I really don't know all the nooks and crannies of how keyboards work and all this info gives me more insight on what I need to consider before making purchases.

Are they still producing the DK9008G2? I assumed this new line of Ducky Zero was to be their current 104 keyboard while they are only producing the DK9008G2 Pro's which have all the functions the new Zero (dual layer PCB, USB NKRO, etc.) has but with PBT keycaps and extra LED's.

I see your point now about the LED windows. It was so obvious that I didn't even think about it... Lol. The standard LED window is on the bottom.. this at top bc flipped... Oops. Derp moments were had by me... I even own a keyboard that has this...  :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:26:48 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:23:56 »
If it were MX Green, I'd buy one right now.

The problem is, the improvements over the 1008 I have now in Blue are not enough to justify another 85 dollars delivered.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jabar

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:26:04 »
rootwyrm does bring up a pretty valid point: Why would Ducky release the Zero when they have oodles of G2Pro keyboards sitting around? There are only a few advantages the G2Pro keyboard offers:

* TKL and 104 options
* PBT (but not always)
* backlit WASD cluster + media control, +WASD backlit keycaps
* Made in Taiwan

Still, I can't see how the Chinese-made Zero isn't a good value over an ABS G2Pro keyboard unless backlit WASD cluster is absolutely critical and worth the $35 difference!

Here's the comparison:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=218
vs.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=263

Phantom 7bit

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:31:52 »
rootwyrm does bring up a pretty valid point: Why would Ducky release the Zero when they have oodles of G2Pro keyboards sitting around? There are only a few advantages the G2Pro keyboard offers:

* TKL and 104 options
* PBT (but not always)
* backlit WASD cluster + media control, +WASD backlit keycaps
* Made in Taiwan

Still, I can't see how the Chinese-made Zero isn't a good value over an ABS G2Pro keyboard unless backlit WASD cluster is absolutely critical and worth the $35 difference!

Here's the comparison:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=218
vs.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=263

Agreed. Rootwyrm's point is very valid. I honestly don't even care for the backlit WASD cluster on my G2 Pro. Just bought it for the Green switches, USB NKRO (I don't have PS/2 port on my mobo) and stock PBT keycaps. Once Zero line is produced in the TKL 87 form factor, I wouldn't see the need to pay the extra for the G2 Pro unless stock PBT was necessary. For the price they are selling the Zero currently, I think it'd be hard to come stock with PBT keycaps unless they buff up the price a tad but I think that would be an awesome option for those that don't already own a set or two of PBT keycaps.

Offline jlewisnj

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 00:17:53 »
Welp, I just ordered one tonight Ducky Zero with Cherry Brown MX

Been in the market for a good mechanical keyboard for a few weeks now, was tempted to get a Ducky Shine II but really don't care about the illuminated keys and the brown version is running $143 right now.

I saw the zero but haven't read any reviews about them, but i am counting on a quality product since it is a Ducky.. and for $88 shipped it seems like a real good deal!!

Will post an update when I get it in..

Offline tr4656

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 00:34:06 »
If it were MX Green, I'd buy one right now.

The problem is, the improvements over the 1008 I have now in Blue are not enough to justify another 85 dollars delivered.

Which boards are MX Greens?

Offline jabar

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 00:39:36 »
only the Ducky DK9008G2Pro board: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=199

and the Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid and Quick Fire TK

Ducky said they will be releasing more rarer switch boards later this year.

Phantom 7bit

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 00:44:05 »
only the Ducky DK9008G2Pro board: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=199

and the Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid and CM Storm Trigger.

Ducky said they will be releasing more rarer switch boards later this year.

Fixed.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:14:06 »
well... it's not like they can really innovate a keyboard much further.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:10:05 »
Can anybody report on the feel of the stabs?

Offline XTF

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:35:42 »
Any plans for a ninja/stealth variant?

Offline XTF

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 08:31:38 »
They could get rid of the media keys, USB NKRO and Win-lock. Could get rid of all LEDs too.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 09:20:36 »

:) i can think of several ways keyboards can be innovated.

• lighting effects, have each pressed key GLOW for a period after pressing and then fade out.
  • reverse tilt, have the front legs as well as rear legs for a tilt that requires less wrist angle.
  • put the legends on the front side of the key with shine through and have the front skirt protrude lower to prevent light bleed.
  • provide multiple easy end-user layout reprogramming and keyboard sets to match (inovative in marketting)
  • heated wrist rest USB attachment
  • strain reliefs on the USB connection  or recessed and protected . (really any protruding USB connection is not ideal)
  • over the keyboard light strip for those who hunt and peck in the dark without LED keys
  • slide out or flip under wrist rest.
  • built in calculator LCD on the numpad, could also be used for status display, PC temperature, fan speed, etc
I'm sure i can think of lots more things

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 09:44:17 »
  • lighting effects, have each pressed key GLOW for a period after pressing and then fade out.
I think the Ducky Shine II already has this feature as an option, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 10:21:43 »

Buncha crap ba-leeted.

I'm sorry, you seem to be confusing "stupid gimmicky trash" with innovation. Product designers would appreciate it if you would please stop doing this. Forever. No, seriously.

Not to mention, other than the unworkable 'skirt' and heated USB crap? THAT'S ALL BEEN DONE.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 10:32:36 »

Buncha crap ba-leeted.

I'm sorry, you seem to be confusing "stupid gimmicky trash" with innovation. Product designers would appreciate it if you would please stop doing this. Forever. No, seriously.

Not to mention, other than the unworkable 'skirt' and heated USB crap? THAT'S ALL BEEN DONE.

Harsh.  It may have been done before, but all of his changes, if adopted, would be a new direction or innovation in the market.  Now... your whole overreaction in negativity bit.  That's been done to death.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:14:05 »

I thought of this one too.  The reactive mode on Duckys either flashes the LED at the activation point, or keeps the LED on only as long as the key is held down (as far as I know).

It would be cool if you could configure a 1 or 2 second delay, and the LED either turns off or (better) fades after that time.

Fast typists could try to light up the whole keyboard :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:16:26 »
Ahhhhh snap. That would be sexy indeed.

Offline Parabellum

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:22:32 »
too bad they look so ricer

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:37:48 »

Wait, aren't product designers the people whose job it is to come up with stupid gimmicky trash that the marketing people can make a fuss about (even if it's actually useless)? :p

Either way, I have to agree with those who want more "innovation", even if it's sometimes just resurrecting features that have fallen out of use for the sake of variety. Where's the fun in the keyboard (not keycap) hobby if everything is basically the same, or there's one "best" thing that everyone has, with no striving towards improvement?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 13:45:08 »
too bad they look so ricer

It's literally just a black keyboard. Ricer??

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:43:17 »
Just to mention that these are now available at PCCG: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=113_1361

$79 for blacks and blues, $85 for reds and browns.

Might give QFR a run for its money at that price!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:44:58 »
I keep getting excited that the Filco Zero and Ducky ALPS boards had a baby, called it the Ducky for names, but had the build quality of the Filco. damn..

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:47:29 »
I keep getting excited that Filco and Ducky had a baby, called it the Ducky Zero, but had the build quality of the Filco. damn..

I'm waiting for Cherry and Ducky to have a baby and call it - I don't freaking care what they call it as long as it has old style Cherry stabilizers, damnit!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:48:28 »
Leopold? With the universal spacebars on the F200 series, I wouldn't be worried about finding caps anymore.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:50:55 »
Leopold? With the universal spacebars on the F200 series, I wouldn't be worried about finding caps anymore.

That's the reason I sold all my Leopold's. I got tired of trying to find space bars that would fit.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:57:21 »
I'm actually a fan of the Leopolds. To each their own I suppose.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 15:03:39 »
Light tunnels? ... did you look at all the pictures?

Other caps; cant see LED? it will still underglow. although my qfr has a red plate which probably helps.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 16:18:48 »

I like the GLOW thing you mention or at least where the key stays illuminated for a split second longer. I don't really care for backlighting but a few of my friends own the Shine II and they are always boasting the backlit effect where it only lights up the keys you press... except you can't see it because your finger covers the illuminated lettering. The only way to solve this situation, that I saw, was to buy transluscent keycaps so that the entire keycap would light up. This glowing effect would solve this problem. I like it :)

Light tunnels? ... did you look at all the pictures?

Other caps; cant see LED? it will still underglow. although my qfr has a red plate which probably helps.

Show Image

That Ragnarok set... Jealous. I'm still hating myself for missing a 104 set of these for $35.00 shipped.... *sigh*