Author Topic: Hi all, noob in the house  (Read 1714 times)

Offline hlehmann

Hi all, noob in the house
« on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:14:34 »
Hi all,

Newbie from UK,

I was building out my parts list for my sons arcade machine I am building and started getting nostalgic, first for arcade mania that I had as a kid, then moved on to Atari ST emulation (have one in the loft) thru one of my Raspberry Pi's.  Then I moved on to PC nostalgia - remembering my old 286 setup and the great keyboard I have.

I spend 8 hours a day working on a Thinkpad laptop and hate the keyboard.  Memories of clicky solid keyboards led me to look for one and I was amazed at how expensive they are and limited in their availability (my parents junked my old setup that was in the loft for many years when they moved house.

Well i've been searching for a bargain since, and picked up a Moretec white Alps (yep learning about the different click's) at a junk shop for a fiver and waiting for the PS2 converter to try it out.  Lite click but she seems in good order.

End game is Model M, and at a good price.  I've found what I think is one (bundled deal with old bits), and am very eager to get my hands on it (fingers).

Aim to irritate the hell out of the people I work with who tap silently on their laptops at work!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Hi all, noob in the house
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:23:03 »
Welcome to the Community (not that I should be saying it because I'm just barely NOT new...)

Lots of friendly people here willing to help you onto your journey of getting absolutely obsessed with all things mechanical keyboards. There are conflicts sometimes, and the occasional person who'll reprimand you for saying something (in their eyes) so completely idiotic (again in their eyes, take their opinion with a grain of salt), but it's mostly good happy people willing to help you on the way to the gold of you're Model M. I'm personally looking into one, but it takes tertiary priority over school and building my custom keyboard.

tl(hardly);dr: Welcome to the forums. There are (mostly) friendly people waiting to help, and welcome again.

I just know I'm going to be ninja'd...\

EDIT: Fixed a typo I'm hoping nobody noticed ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:39:40 by inteli722 »
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:25:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I'm actually trying to build my own arcade machine right now. I'm documenting all my fumbling over here if you'd like to give me some pointers!  :p

But seriously, GH is awesome like inteli722. Enjoy your stay and show off your Model M when you get one!

Offline hlehmann

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:31:10 »
Thanks for the welcome Inteli722, know these types of forums are normally 99% good chaps (chapesses *sp) and 1% driftwood jumping on the first noob failing ;)

Captain Bad Ass (nice) - im building custom 1/2 hight design (my son is only 2 just now) - will be probably mostly defender style cab (have had the happ controls and encoder and coin door and gubbins for almost 12 years now and never got around (or was allowed) to build a full scale cab or refurbish.

This is the year for that me-thinks - I'll check out your posts, always interested in tips n tricks...

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:11:52 »
I've been here for like a year and i'm still a noob.

Welcome.

EDIT: If you're looking for a bargain in Cherries, check out the classifieds for a Rosewilll or CM Storm. Alternatively, subscribe to Newegg's newsletter, as they occasionally have good deals on rosewill boards. I picked up a rosewill with MX Blacks and have been typing silently ever since.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:13:59 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:31:58 »
GH is awesome like inteli722.

Not sure if typo or meant to say that...
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:36:23 »
does geekhack enjoy houses? I'd think battle trailer//mobile command-center is more our thing...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:47:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's quite a few people around here who are Model M fans - you have come to the right place :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ