Author Topic: I got 300gbs left... till black friday...  (Read 2227 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
I got 300gbs left... till black friday...
« on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:56:48 »
Just bought 4x3tbs on the last one,

2 had bad sectors

download craze

Now i'm out of space "again..""

How're you guys fairing this year :D

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
Re: I got 300gbs left... till black friday...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 02:09:49 »
wanted to get an ssd because everyone was raving about it.

but with windows 8 my computer starts up from cold boot in about 10seconds... so I guess there's no need

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 02:18:00 »
wanted to get an ssd because everyone was raving about it.

but with windows 8 my computer starts up from cold boot in about 10seconds... so I guess there's no need

You should still get an SSD, they're quite inexpensive these days..  you can get the 840pro 128gb for $150, which is more than you need for most systems.

The boot time isn't an issue with windows 8,, but an ssd still makes the system much snappier overall

I've yet to use more than 100gbs for my programs and OS... so there's no reason to save up for those larger 256/512gb drives, because they'll become obsolete in terms of speed quite quickly.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 03:12:04 »
I use up a 120gb/128gb wilth just programs an os but thats because i have a bunch a huge software suites.

Also note that the drives with the best preformance are 250/256gb currently

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 03:44:24 »
I use up a 120gb/128gb wilth just programs an os but thats because i have a bunch a huge software suites.

Just to add to this, the more you fill them, the slower they get. Slow being relative of course.

I have a 128gb now for OS/programs with some velocirapters for games. My next upgrade will be a 510ish to combine them.
Looking for CC's!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 04:39:15 »

this isn't an issue on new drives. If you're buying tier two though, there could be 10% difference in performance tops..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 04:39:20 »
I originally had my OS on a 480gb SSD and really saw no difference, the boot time was just over 2secs more without it so now it's where I keep all my Steam games and CS/Maya/PS. Maya doesn't seem to render any faster with it either. Over hyped technology from what I've seen.

Offline merijn

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 04:46:59 »
SSDs aren't just for the boot-time. Why do people keep thinking that? It's an overall better performance, and one really does feel the difference compared to a HDD.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 04:47:44 »
I originally had my OS on a 480gb SSD and really saw no difference, the boot time was just over 2secs more without it so now it's where I keep all my Steam games and CS/Maya/PS. Maya doesn't seem to render any faster with it either. Over hyped technology from what I've seen.
;D silliness

SSD doesn't affect rendering speed.

The largest difference is that it speeds up basic tasks like launching and running programs with small file read/writes "TO DISK"..

If your program is reading and writing to ram, the SSD doesn't do anything for that..

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 08:38:01 »
I had 3x 2TBs, and had to RMA one.  3TB drive went on special so I bought one, pondered it for a bit more and the special  came back so I bought another.  The RMA'd  drive came back as a 3TB unit too... 

So I'm at 13TB raw disk.  I don't think I've ever gone much over 4TB in use, but I suppose I could mirror now.

Where SSDs shine is searching, through email or files it's so much faster.  Then there's also program start up on stuff that loads a pile of modules or extensions like PhotoShop.  If you never complained about the disk access light flashing for 'so long...' then you don't particularly need an SSD.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:54:44 »
I had 3x 2TBs, and had to RMA one.  3TB drive went on special so I bought one, pondered it for a bit more and the special  came back so I bought another.  The RMA'd  drive came back as a 3TB unit too... 

So I'm at 13TB raw disk.  I don't think I've ever gone much over 4TB in use, but I suppose I could mirror now.

Where SSDs shine is searching, through email or files it's so much faster.  Then there's also program start up on stuff that loads a pile of modules or extensions like PhotoShop.  If you never complained about the disk access light flashing for 'so long...' then you don't particularly need an SSD.

Internet browsing is unbearably slow without an SSD... this is fact.....  so, if you care at all about "the internet", you'd get one...;D

You are not doing enough BD rips... you can fill drives easily with BD rips.   Even Remuxes... I've been doing alotta remuxes of my own recently... Good 7tb worth of remuxes... ;D

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 17:26:44 »
Not a single BD capable device in the house... Suppose I could find some content on the net, but there's nothing really that interests me enough to bother getting it all working.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 18:19:44 »
if you play games or even do office work or graphics (like a big photoshop swap file) you need a ssd. office felt weighted down when i lost my ssd for a month, when i got a new one, it was zippy!, when i got one of the first consumer ssds 6 years ago for games, like in everquest, i was always the first one to load into the zone, which wasn't bad, sometimes we had to "break" a zone so me being the leader and tank worked fine.

how many times do you boot up anyway? lol it's for super fast program loading.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 19:25:44 »
if you play games or even do office work or graphics (like a big photoshop swap file) you need a ssd. office felt weighted down when i lost my ssd for a month, when i got a new one, it was zippy!, when i got one of the first consumer ssds 6 years ago for games, like in everquest, i was always the first one to load into the zone, which wasn't bad, sometimes we had to "break" a zone so me being the leader and tank worked fine.

how many times do you boot up anyway? lol it's for super fast program loading.

I boot at least 1.5 times per day on average.... so if I save 20 seconds each time, a whole year, that's a bit more than 3hours for the whole year...

but that's ONLY boot..   If you add in the time I save from waiting for **** to load... It'd be quite a bit more, because my life REVOLVES around a PC.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 20:47:45 »
Why so often?  I reboot my windows box once every few months, linux (desktop) even longer.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:15:06 »
Why so often?  I reboot my windows box once every few months, linux (desktop) even longer.

Ah, Windows ;D