Author Topic: Hydrophobic Spray  (Read 8617 times)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Hydrophobic Spray
« on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:07:06 »
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any brands of hydrophobic sprays?

I was waiting on neverwet but they are really slow and I want it now so time to just get another brand

www.ultraeverdrystore.com
http://www.alwaysdry.be/ (I'm leaning towards this atm, seems easier to apply and cheaper)

alwaysdry seems to be easier to apply and cheaper also, I am mainly looking to spray my shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes, blazers/jackets and shoes if you have any experience please let me know which brand you try and how was the experience as well as what material you sprayed it on.

I was about to finish checkout then decided to ask around since its the weekend anyways and they won't ship out till Monday

If you are not sure what this is, hydrophobic sprays are cool watch these vids
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:13:04 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hydrophobic Spray
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:20:13 »
My sister and I were actually talking about this last night. She said people use it to spray their Uggs so they get waterproof. Apparently (I didn't know this before) she sprays all the shoes my mom and sister have with the stuff. She described it as "Rain-X for your shoes" and seemed happy with the results. I can ask her more questions if you have any tsangan

Oh and she said she just grabbed some from Target. I guess the bottle just says "Waterproof Spray". Like I said, I can ask more if you like.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:28:48 »
Those videos are cool O_O I'm interested in how well they work too.
I love Elzy

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
Hydrophobic Spray
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:33:08 »
I think hydrophobic and waterproof spray is an entirely different animal as I dont think target would be the place that would carry what tsangan is referring too.  Hydrophobic makes it more than just waterproof it REPELS all sorts of liquid ie mud, cement, and oils. Last I read was that this product was toxic making it very inconvenient for the every day use you are hoping for =/ I hope I'm wrong.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 01:34:29 »
My sister and I were actually talking about this last night. She said people use it to spray their Uggs so they get waterproof. Apparently (I didn't know this before) she sprays all the shoes my mom and sister have with the stuff. She described it as "Rain-X for your shoes" and seemed happy with the results. I can ask her more questions if you have any tsangan

Oh and she said she just grabbed some from Target. I guess the bottle just says "Waterproof Spray". Like I said, I can ask more if you like.
I guess there's a generic brand at target? I guess maybe I should swing by walmart first then

Those videos are cool O_O I'm interested in how well they work too.
Very cool the reason why i have beaters 90% is because of bad weather if i can eliminate that then I can wear all my shoes at anytime without fear!

I think hydrophobic and waterproof spray is an entirely different animal as I dont think target would be the place that would carry what tsangan is referring too.  Hydrophobic makes it more than just waterproof it REPELS all sorts of liquid ie mud, cement, and oils. Last I read was that this product was toxic making it very inconvenient for the every day use you are hoping for =/ I hope I'm wrong.
doesn't say that in either of those sites/products and since they even show it spraying it on a tshirt i don't think it would be toxic, I know for a fact its breathable though so its fine on like sneaker if you're scared the shoe won't breathe
Keyboardless

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 02:32:08 »
For some reason I really wanna spray my junk with this..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 08:49:30 »
I would not spray this stuff on something that'd contact skin, i mean... I get enough Carcinogenic radiation from all my computer use.

Offline smockey

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 09:09:27 »
Another good question about breathing, since you are planning on using it on shoes : does it let your feet « breathe » ? Because if it makes it water repellent from the outside but you sweat like hell from the inside, it might not be worth it :D
Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown)  // PBT caps // o-rings mod
KBT Pure (MX Red) // PBT caps / o-rings mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 10:05:58 »
Another good question about breathing, since you are planning on using it on shoes : does it let your feet « breathe » ? Because if it makes it water repellent from the outside but you sweat like hell from the inside, it might not be worth it :D

Hmm............ hmmmmmm.............. Well I don't think boots breath all that much to begin with...

But, regular shoes have many "large" openings.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 13:03:04 »
They say their product still lets the shoe breathes normally, which is why i just want to check if anyone else try these products before i dive in
Keyboardless

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 20:41:15 »
That's really cool. I have an Arc'Teryx jacket that repels water like that, didn't know you could get similar results through a spray though.