Author Topic: So... Emailed Unicomp about dem' tkl  (Read 7567 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
So... Emailed Unicomp about dem' tkl
« on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:39:15 »
Their reply:

......thanks for your interest in our keyboards. We have had many requests for a tenkeyless, buckling spring keyboard. It is on our new product wish list and some effort has begun on it's development. It takes 8 to 12 months to bring a new product to market.

Best regards,

Customer Service

Offline BucklingSpring

Re: So... Emailed Unicomp about dem' tkl
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:48:20 »
Woot - This is going on my MUST HAVE list

Thanks for sharing
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Warduke

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:53:39 »
I keep telling myself that it's just a dream, they'll never do it but then stuff like this always sucks me back in.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 15:58:00 »
I got the exact same response tp4. I know it will happen eventually
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:26:04 »
I got the exact same response tp4. I know it will happen eventually

Just tell us you didn't get it 10 years ago.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:31:40 »
Nah it was recent. About three weeks ago, when I saw iMav's thread asking everybody to spam Unicomp.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:54:45 »
Wouldn't it be great if they made a buckling spring keyboard the size of the Poker?  :D

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 16:56:41 »
Nah it was recent. About three weeks ago, when I saw iMav's thread asking everybody to spam Unicomp.

" iMav's thread asking everybody to spam Unicomp" ->  Oh - so we torture them until they say whatever we want.
This practice can lead to unreliable information.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 17:07:20 »
I don't mean it like that, lol. By "spam", I mean he wanted all us geeks to go submit a 1 or 2 line request for a TKL board, and to show our appreciation and attention for the company / SSK boards. I shouldn't have said spam

Edit;
Besides, it's the person's job, who ever it is, that looks at the support tickets. They get payed to "be tortured" ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2013, 17:09:18 by Flip »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 17:54:00 »
Just look at the Red Alert for buckling spring thread and how long a month has been. Le sigh.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 18:22:36 »
I think at this point, Unicomp Time(TM) has eclipsed Valve Time(TM).
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 22:02:02 »
ask this question again in a year. the answer will be "soon™".
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Warduke

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 23:22:45 »
I think at this point, Unicomp Time(TM) has eclipsed Valve Time(TM).

Lol, when will Half-Life 3 come out? About the same time the Unicomp tenkeyless comes out.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:22:45 »
Reminds me of how they wanted to make a buckling spring Mighty Mouse (aka. M4-1) It never happened in the end.

That said, if they are going to make one this time around, I hope a trackpoint option will be available.

Offline harrison

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 12:03:17 »
just pray they don't pull a duke nuke'em on us.
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 12:38:12 »
just pray they don't pull a duke nuke'em on us.

I don't care if they take 10 years... but if it comes out really sh_ttty... I would be angry...

Offline morpheus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 09:07:42 »
I really want this thing to come out right now. My Model M is great and all, but reaching my mouse is really starting to hurt my arm after adjusting to TKL's.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:05:14 »
I really want this thing to come out right now. My Model M is great and all, but reaching my mouse is really starting to hurt my arm after adjusting to TKL's.

There is a easy fix for that... Learn left hand mouse driving.
Brain catches up really fast.
I did the switch few years ago and never came back.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 20:01:01 »
Reminds me of how they wanted to make a buckling spring Mighty Mouse (aka. M4-1) It never happened in the end.

That said, if they are going to make one this time around, I hope a trackpoint option will be available.

Yeah, there's about, oh, a couple hundred thousand reasons for that. Presuming Lenovo was even willing to license them TrackPoint III or IV.
Oh, and then there's the new tooling - would require a new upper plate from scratch due to the EnduraPro != M13. Plus all new chassis tooling - you can't just modify the upper and lower halves.
So yeah. I wouldn't even consider it remotely likely.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 00:33:12 »

There is a easy fix for that... Learn left hand mouse driving.
Brain catches up really fast.
I did the switch few years ago and never came back.

That is innovative. I never thought of using a left handed mouse. Do they even sell left handed mice? I'm not sure I'd get used to the buttons being inverted. But I will try it....thanks for the idea!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 00:39:22 »

That is innovative. I never thought of using a left handed mouse. Do they even sell left handed mice? I'm not sure I'd get used to the buttons being inverted. But I will try it....thanks for the idea!

You can configure them however you want within windows.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 00:42:03 »

You can configure them however you want within windows.

I just found how to do it, thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 06:28:29 by morpheus »

Offline morpheus

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 06:29:37 »
Using a left handed mouse routine did the trick!

I never thought using my mouse left handed would be so easy. It's not as hard as it seems.

Thanks a lot to Buckling Spring!

Offline iri

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 07:23:35 »
so did i. it is surprisingly convenient...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 09:12:29 »
Left hand mousing is great. I just wish there was a left-hand Joy Pen.

I keep mice on both sides now, a trusty old Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical on the left and Joy Pen on right. Very flexible and conveniwnt if you have the desk space.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:56:48 »
i will believe unicomp's tkl buck spring board when i see it. also, if and when unicopm finally decides to make these they better not try to equip them with plastic cases. i need my buck spring boards heavy heavy.

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline vometia

• Caution: irritant
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:54:43 »
i will believe unicomp's tkl buck spring board when i see it. also, if and when unicopm finally decides to make these they better not try to equip them with plastic cases. i need my buck spring boards heavy heavy.
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I'm wondering why they wouldn't just make them the same as the old IBM branded ones: I bought three of the 85 key space savers from Unicomp a couple of years or so back and they're really very nice keyboards; surely they could just start making them again?  I hope they resume the old heavy-duty casing, as much as I like the newer 104-key Ultra Classic types, they're slightly creaky in comparison.

Offline developej

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 11:48:39 »
they should make m15

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 10:16:49 »

Yeah, there's about, oh, a couple hundred thousand reasons for that. Presuming Lenovo was even willing to license them TrackPoint III or IV.
Oh, and then there's the new tooling - would require a new upper plate from scratch due to the EnduraPro != M13. Plus all new chassis tooling - you can't just modify the upper and lower halves.
So yeah. I wouldn't even consider it remotely likely.

I was moreso referring to their resistive pointing stick. Not quite as good as the Lenovo one, but I'd settle for it.

they should make m15

There's all sorts of mess over the M15, there was a patent dispute with the inventor of the original Goldtouch keyboards, and the tooling was sold to Maxiswitch who subsequently 'misplaced' it.