Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556088 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8000 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 14:43:18 »
Just wanted to check if these leds would be a good swap from green on a KBT Pure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320999089508&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en.
or the diffused white if those would look better. 

Also, is it possible to go from red to purple without changing the diodes on a QFR for the caps lock, win lock, and scroll lock?
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8001 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 14:53:34 »
Just wanted to check if these leds would be a good swap from green on a KBT Pure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320999089508&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en.

Also, is it possible to go from red to purple without changing the diodes on a QFR for the caps lock, win lock, and scroll lock?

I've never calculated any voltages for my LEDs, I've just done swaps. I haven't had issues so far. But check out this thread for some actual information and numbers.

In my own experience, I haven't had trouble with just putting LEDs into a board. Doesn't mean that I won't hit a problem in the future though. I think your LEDs will be fine and I think your QFR swap will be fine.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8002 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 15:05:26 »

I've never calculated any voltages for my LEDs, I've just done swaps. I haven't had issues so far. But check out this thread for some actual information and numbers.

In my own experience, I haven't had trouble with just putting LEDs into a board. Doesn't mean that I won't hit a problem in the future though. I think your LEDs will be fine and I think your QFR swap will be fine.

Cool, ordering leds now then. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8003 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 15:10:21 »

Instead of necro'ing that thread, maybe someone here can give me some info.  My understanding is that the current through the LED determines its brightness.  The LEDs I have are rated for up to 20mA (I think), but what is the minimum current that will still make it light up a reasonable amount.

Assuming the following is true for my leds
I = (5.05 - 3.2) / resistor
I currently have 1.13k resistors, so this would give me...
I = (5.05 - 3.2) / 1131 => I = 1.64mA

Is that even close to enough current to make the LEDs light up a reasonable amount?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8004 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 09:54:30 »

Instead of necro'ing that thread, maybe someone here can give me some info.  My understanding is that the current through the LED determines its brightness.  The LEDs I have are rated for up to 20mA (I think), but what is the minimum current that will still make it light up a reasonable amount.

Is that even close to enough current to make the LEDs light up a reasonable amount?

well.

It depends on what you mean by "reasonable".
Taking an LED with similar characteristics (but with a datasheet)
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/cree.C503B%20BAS%20BAN%20BCS%20BCN%20GAS%20GAN%20GCS%20GCN%201094%5B1%5D.pdf
you see that brightness is pretty close to linear with current.

This graph (for a different brand) shows the same thing, but I think the double log scale is easier to read:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/315/LNJ998CKCDA_E-255675.pdf (perhaps not a good comparison, they are listed as 400 mcd, which is pretty dim)

So 1.64 is 8% of 20, so you'll get 8% of the light out from it. If it's rated for 10,000 mcd (at 20 mA), then you'll get 800 mcd out (at 1.64 mA).

To compare, some LEDs are only "supposed" to put out about 400 mcd normally, so they'll certainly be visible. Weather or not that's a reasonable level is up to you. Looking at the numbers, I think it'll be fine, though you'll have more current with a lower Vf (red or amber) or lower resistance.

Another thing to keep in mind: if you are flowing 1.64 mA through each LED, you can only have a certain amount of LEDs on the board before there's too much current for the USB to support. When I was doing LED resistance calculations for sprit, I remember that 1-2 mA (certainly less than 5) was about all you could get before you ran into the USB power requirement.

Of course, Looking at it yourself is the only way to know for sure, but I think it'll be more than adequate.

Hope this helps.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8005 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 10:07:42 »

well.

It depends on what you mean by "reasonable".
Taking an LED with similar characteristics (but with a datasheet)
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/cree.C503B%20BAS%20BAN%20BCS%20BCN%20GAS%20GAN%20GCS%20GCN%201094%5B1%5D.pdf
you see that brightness is pretty close to linear with current.

This graph (for a different brand) shows the same thing, but I think the double log scale is easier to read:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/315/LNJ998CKCDA_E-255675.pdf (perhaps not a good comparison, they are listed as 400 mcd, which is pretty dim)

So 1.64 is 8% of 20, so you'll get 8% of the light out from it. If it's rated for 10,000 mcd (at 20 mA), then you'll get 800 mcd out (at 1.64 mA).

To compare, some LEDs are only "supposed" to put out about 400 mcd normally, so they'll certainly be visible. Weather or not that's a reasonable level is up to you. Looking at the numbers, I think it'll be fine, though you'll have more current with a lower Vf (red or amber) or lower resistance.

Another thing to keep in mind: if you are flowing 1.64 mA through each LED, you can only have a certain amount of LEDs on the board before there's too much current for the USB to support. When I was doing LED resistance calculations for sprit, I remember that 1-2 mA (certainly less than 5) was about all you could get before you ran into the USB power requirement.

Of course, Looking at it yourself is the only way to know for sure, but I think it'll be more than adequate.

Hope this helps.

This is a great response. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

I will be doing a full sprit board of led's on both a 60% and a 75%, so this is really good information.

These resistors should be perfect then.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8006 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:10:57 »
If you are using o-rings, is the thickness of the keycaps irrelevant?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8007 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:14:43 »

Yes, I think swill's post has a good explanation on this.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8008 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 11:44:53 »

Yes, I think swill's post has a good explanation on this.

The keycap profile makes the most difference.  You need very different o-rings for Cherry vs OEM profile keycaps.  I have not found the thickness of the keycap to play a major role (unless the keycaps are missing the cross braces at the bottom of the stem).

Offline combataran

« Reply #8009 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 12:52:30 »
What's the best way t ship a Realforce box(with board) internationally? What I mean is do I use an extra box, fill it with Polystyrene balls(?), then tape it up like a maniac, or just like how it came to me, a dense foam sheet wrapped around the box(laterally), the whole thing packed in that postal plastic bag thing?

How do I maximize protection while minimizing packaging costs?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8010 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 12:55:25 »
What's the best way t ship a Realforce box(with board) internationally? What I mean is do I use an extra box, fill it with Polystyrene balls(?), then tape it up like a maniac, or just like how it came to me, a dense foam sheet wrapped around the box(laterally), the whole thing packed in that postal plastic bag thing?

My standard packaging method is to wrap the keyboard in a nice thick layer of bubble wrap. Then put the keyboard in a sturdy box then stuff the remaining space with newspaper.

If your box is already used and a bit beat up, find a new box. In the US, USPS has flat rate board game boxes that work well for full size boards or if you want to go heavy on the protection (as I did with the 6019284s).

Edit: I also *always* tape all the openings to the boxes. Just added piece of mind and security.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 12:58:55 by CPTBadAss »

Offline combataran

« Reply #8011 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 12:57:54 »
Great! Thanks for the tip!
 ;D

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #8012 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 06:01:35 »
I've noticed a couple of 60% custom PCBs such as GH60, Facew, GON.
All of them seem to have full customisation options.

So is there any real difference between all of them?
Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8013 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 06:50:26 »
I've noticed a couple of 60% custom PCBs such as GH60, Facew, GON.
All of them seem to have full customisation options.

So is there any real difference between all of them?
Thanks.

Cases that go with them. And GH60 currently doesn't have LED support. Think the firmware and controller are different too.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8014 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 07:15:36 »

I generally agree with Capt BadAss, but I must add that "the best" way to ship is to double-box with styrofoam peanuts all around the inner box.

Unfortunately, the carriers charge for both weight and volume, and double-boxing greatly increases the volume, more so than the weight.

And also, keyboards really are generally pretty sturdy, compared to things like antiques and glassware.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8015 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:43:48 »
What spring weight does 62g correspond to when measuring to actuation point? (50 cN? 45?)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8016 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:47:20 »
What spring weight does 62g correspond to when measuring to actuation point? (50 cN? 45?)

http://www.unitconversion.org/force/centinewtons-to-gram-forces-conversion.html
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8017 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:35:05 »

It would be somewhere between 45-50cN, probably around 47.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8018 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:57:33 »

Ah, so one could swap with clear springs with brown or blue ones for something that is approximately like an ergo clear?

Thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8019 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 22:16:06 »

Ah, so one could swap with clear springs with brown or blue ones for something that is approximately like an ergo clear?

Thanks!

Before Korean springs were generally available, that is exactly how we used to make ergo clears. In fact, that's pretty much the definition of an "ergo" clear...a clear stem with a spring from a red/brown/blue switch. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8020 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 00:09:15 »
How do I take out stabilizers from legends? I tried this video and I made a scratch in my QFR (SadPandaFace)

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #8021 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 03:33:10 »
Is it possible to make a one hand ergodox. And for it to be the left hand? I'm thinking of an orbweaver alternative.

I made one a few weeks ago. It works great with soarer's firmware. I've been meaning to post pictures sometime.

Does anyone know where I can find keycaps set from official ergodox keyboard image?

Show Image

Welcome to Geekhack!

Those look almost like DSA.

You might try the Granite GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56354.0

The keyset in that render was never actually produced, though the model is closest to SP's DSA

Exactly how did you manage that?

I've been meaning to build a flipped ergodox, but nobody seems to provide details on how it is done.

I really wanna ask for a loose guide, so that at least I know how differently I have to do things from the Massdrop guide, since it is one of the most detailed ones around.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8022 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 04:43:52 »
Does any of you sometime have to use multiple o-rings on a key to silence out the clack? I'm asking because I got my SP doubleshots and in order to silence the backspace and spacebar i had to put on 3 o-rings. This was not a problem with my OEM Filco keycaps (I have a MJ2).  Is it because the keycaps are poorly built?  I ended just living with the clack instead of shortening the travel distance so much.

I use these o-rings: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/o-ring-switch-dampeners-for-filco-keyboards.asp

Anyone have any experience with them? Does anyone know what durometer they have?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8023 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:36:00 »
Does any of you sometime have to use multiple o-rings on a key to silence out the clack? I'm asking because I got my SP doubleshots and in order to silence the backspace and spacebar i had to put on 3 o-rings. This was not a problem with my OEM Filco keycaps (I have a MJ2).  Is it because the keycaps are poorly built?  I ended just living with the clack instead of shortening the travel distance so much.

The issue are probably the stabilizers making noise. Keycaps will also make a noise when they go back up which you can't dampen with O-rings.

How do I take out stabilizers from legends? I tried this video and I made a scratch in my QFR (SadPandaFace)

I think it's quite well shown in that video. At which part did you scratch your board?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8024 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:40:41 »

I use these o-rings: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/o-ring-switch-dampeners-for-filco-keyboards.asp

Anyone have any experience with them? Does anyone know what durometer they have?

Check and see if those keys have crossbars like the rest of the keys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8025 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:55:17 »
1) Does any of you sometime have to use multiple o-rings on a key to silence out the clack? I'm asking because I got my SP doubleshots and in order to silence the backspace and spacebar i had to put on 3 o-rings.

2) I use these o-rings: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/o-ring-switch-dampeners-for-filco-keyboards.asp Anyone have any experience with them?

3) Does anyone know what durometer they have?

1) There are people who use multiple o-rings on their keyboards. Part of the reason you're having issues is because SP caps are really thin. The spacebar might sound different if you use different keycaps. You can also put some drawer liner in between your case and PCB to dampen some sounds. And you can lube the spacebar stabilizers as well as the backspace ones.

2) I imagine that the WASD red o-rings are similar but I've never used them

3) I don't know this.

That video explains how to remove them very well. They're just friction fit into the plate so just pull them out with your hands. Or gently remove them with pliers.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8026 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:03:29 »
Sound factors: The type of stabilizer also gives different support, and thus the sound may change. Also if the board has a plate may affect the final sound. I think the final sound relates more with the vibration of the entire assembly, including, case, plate - if included -, cap material, and profile, and in some minor degree, the switch type.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8027 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:05:39 »
Sound factors: The type of stabilizer also gives different support, and thus the sound may change. Also if the board has a plate may affect the final sound. I think the final sound relates more with the vibration of the entire assembly, including, case, plate - if included -, cap material, and profile, and in some minor degree, the switch type.

Other things include what your keyboard is sitting on, what material your desk is made out of, and personal typing style. I always bottom out when I type so that would sound different from someone who doesn't.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8028 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 08:07:45 »

Other things include what your keyboard is sitting on, what material your desk is made out of, and personal typing style. I always bottom out when I type so that would sound different from someone who doesn't.

Also, case material, amount of mass in the case, and I would think plate material will have an affect as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline combataran

« Reply #8029 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 09:33:12 »
How's the build quality and QC of duck kits in general?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8030 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 09:35:18 »
How's the build quality and QC of duck kits in general?

I've seen....two or three Ducky Mini V1's in person now? They looked great and I didn't see anything bad in terms of QC or shipping issues on Geekhack. Build quality is really really nice on the V1s. That case with the Poker suits on the back is one of my favorite cases I've seen, period. I suspect the V2 is just as nice.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8031 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:41:03 »

The issue are probably the stabilizers making noise. Keycaps will also make a noise when they go back up which you can't dampen with O-rings.

Nope there is also this issue with some other keys like number 4, 6, and 8

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8032 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:43:06 »

What switches are on your MJ2? In addition to my post above replying to you, switch type will change things.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #8033 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:43:38 »

Are you using SP's DCS profile keycaps? Those keycaps don't have a cross-support on the stem, so your oring probably got pushed too far back to even help reduce noise. That's why you have to place 2-3 for you to notice a change.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8034 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:44:43 »
Are you using SP's DCS profile keycaps? Those keycaps don't have a cross-support on the stem, so your oring probably got pushed too far back to even help reduce noise. That's why you have to place 2-3 for you to notice a change.

I'm asking because I got my SP doubleshots and in order to silence the backspace and spacebar i had to put on 3 o-rings.

Yes he's using SP caps. I had the same problem when writing my review. I had to redo the review because of this.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8035 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:44:34 »

That video explains how to remove them very well. They're just friction fit into the plate so just pull them out with your hands. Or gently remove them with pliers.
[/quote]

When I used the flathead screw driver it fit perfectly in but it did not easily pull out. Pliers is probably what I will try next. when I pulled gently down the stabilizer didn't pop out and I had to pull down more forcefully. The screw driver popped out and I proceeded to grind into the plate about 1 inch. The video made it seem like the stabilizers are barely fitted on but mine are very snug and very hard to pop out. I suspect this is caused from not lubing them?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8036 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:54:12 »
When I used the flathead screw driver it fit perfectly in but it did not easily pull out. Pliers is probably what I will try next. when I pulled gently down the stabilizer didn't pop out and I had to pull down more forcefully. The screw driver popped out and I proceeded to grind into the plate about 1 inch. The video made it seem like the stabilizers are barely fitted on but mine are very snug and very hard to pop out. I suspect this is caused from not lubing them?

They're supposed to be tight in there. It takes me a little force to remove them. I wouldn't have used a screwdriver for that exact reason.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8037 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:48:19 »
This might be a stupid question, but I figured I would check here first. 

So many people use ABS caps and the main complaint with them is that they will 'shine' after extended use.  I am guessing this shine is probably from the oils in our hands permeating the ABS plastic (but that is totally a guess).

Has anyone been able to 'unshine' ABS caps once they have started to shine?  Maybe washing them in water with dish soap?  Maybe lightly sanding with like 1000 grit sandpaper?  Has anyone been successful at removing shine?

If you haven't been successful but have tried stuff, that is interesting too because it is good data if people want to try ideas...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8038 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:52:35 »
I've seen mention of shotpeening them to recreate the roughness. I don't know if it's the oils so much as it is the rubbing and touching of the softer material that eventually wears away that roughness, and leading to a more smooth surface that happens to be shiny.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8039 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:54:07 »
So many people use ABS caps and the main complaint with them is that they will 'shine' after extended use.  I am guessing this shine is probably from the oils in our hands permeating the ABS plastic (but that is totally a guess).

Has anyone been able to 'unshine' ABS caps once they have started to shine?  Maybe washing them in water with dish soap?  Maybe lightly sanding with like 1000 grit sandpaper?  Has anyone been successful at removing shine?

Yes, I believe the shine is from oils in your hand getting into the ABS plastic. I typically clean my caps with denture tabs or dishwashing soap. Neither seems to remove the shine. I've never tried otherwise to remove shine.

I've seen mention of shotpeening them to recreate the roughness. I don't know if it's the oils so much as it is the rubbing and touching of the softer material that eventually wears away that roughness, and leading to a more smooth surface that happens to be shiny.

Dunno if you'd want to shotpeen keycaps. I'm not sure they'd handle the thermal stresses. Maybe sandblasting.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8040 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:55:50 »
Maybe sandblasting was what I saw.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8041 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:58:34 »
Maybe sandblasting was what I saw.

Were you thinking of this sandblasting thing from ripster? As soon as you said shotpeening, I thought of that imgur album.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8042 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:59:59 »
You can try using a magic eraser to get rid of shine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20243.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8043 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:01:05 »
You can try using a magic eraser to get rid of shine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20243.0

I forgot about that....I've gotta try that one day on my WoB Cherry caps.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8044 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 13:56:46 »

NICE!!!  That seemed to work pretty well.  I think thats the best option I have seen so far.   :thumb:

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #8045 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:36:08 »
So, it's my birthday next week and guess what I'm asking my girl to get me!?

You guessed it, a new keyboard.

Now, I recently picked up the FC660C and if you've read my threads/posts, I tried to mod the thing because I LOVE THE SWITCH, but I want it to be silenced badly. Unfortunately, even ironing landing pads made my sensitive fingers feel the difference.

This leads me to asking for a HHKB Type-S. The only thing is, I love the keycaps, but wish the base was black. My question is: has anyone tried having the case painted or did it themselves? I wouldn't mind it if in the future it wasn't super hard to have it painted black, or maybe something original, with a nice finish. I don't exactly want to ruin a $375 keyboard either.

Thoughts?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8046 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:38:02 »

Now, I recently picked up the FC660C and if you've read my threads/posts, I tried to mod the thing because I LOVE THE SWITCH, but I want it to be silenced badly. Unfortunately, even ironing landing pads made my sensitive fingers feel the difference.

This leads me to asking for a HHKB Type-S. The only thing is, I love the keycaps, but wish the base was black. My question is: has anyone tried having the case painted or did it themselves? I wouldn't mind it if in the future it wasn't super hard to have it painted black, or maybe something original, with a nice finish. I don't exactly want to ruin a $375 keyboard either.

Buy a Type-S and a regular black HHKB, swap cases, sell the non-Type-S-in-Type-S-white-case one. :thumb:

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8047 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:38:50 »

Buy a Type-S and a regular black HHKB, swap cases, sell the non-Type-S-in-Type-S-white-case one. :thumb:

Isn't the Type-S case slightly bigger?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8048 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 17:45:18 »
I'm asking for a HHKB Type-S.  My question is: has anyone tried having the case painted or did it themselves?

It's plastic isn't it? I think you can paint it. I think because of the price point, you don't see many people trying to paint it.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8049 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:05:29 »
I'm asking for a HHKB Type-S.  My question is: has anyone tried having the case painted or did it themselves?

It's plastic isn't it? I think you can paint it. I think because of the price point, you don't see many people trying to paint it.

Lol, that's what I'm thinking. I wonder how much it would cost to bring it to an automotive place and have them professionally do it. Maybe I'll get it powder coated or some wild ish.