Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554350 times)

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10800 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:10:23 »
Is the short shift small enough to fit the right shift on a HHKB
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=tmod_grn
eh o well

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10801 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:15:32 »
it is 1.75x, so i believe so, yes
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #10802 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:20:02 »

Thank you, that is excellent news.
eh o well

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10803 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 22:14:30 »
the position two month is same as usually?
Show Image

The English here is hard to understand, so I will attempt my best.

Are you asking "it this was 2unit keycaps should look like?", or maybe "why do these look this way?"

If either of those are close, I can say that those 2u keycaps are from a POS board, which used two switches to provide stabilization, instead of using one switch in the middle and a stabilizer bar connecting to two outer points on the keycap.

Hopefully that answers your question, but if not, an alternate translation might help.  :)
Usually 2-unit keys have three stems, one in the middle. Those keycaps are for a POS keyboard and are designed to fit over two separate switches. They are common on matrix POS boards.
yup, the 2month position is same as like 3month just leave one month in middle, right?
or different spacing?
Different.

I can take a picture comparing the two side by side.

edit: picture uploading now.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 22:19:05 by dorkvader »

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10804 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:53:51 »
Show Image

Are you asking "it this was 2unit keycaps should look like?", or maybe "why do these look this way?"

If either of those are close, I can say that those 2u keycaps are from a POS board, which used two switches to provide stabilization, instead of using one switch in the middle and a stabilizer bar connecting to two outer points on the keycap.

Hopefully that answers your question, but if not, an alternate translation might help.  :)
Usually 2-unit keys have three stems, one in the middle. Those keycaps are for a POS keyboard and are designed to fit over two separate switches. They are common on matrix POS boards.
yup, the 2month position is same as like 3month just leave one month in middle, right?
or different spacing?
Different.

Show Image

:thumb: thanks
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #10805 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 01:04:51 »
Is there any difference between the keycaps currently produced by Unicomp and the keycaps used for old IBM Model F keyboards? I want to replace the filthy keycaps on my 122 key terminal board and Unicomp seems like the best place to go. The keys on my Unicomp keyboard feel basically the same as the keys on my barely used Model M, which are themselves very nice. Unfortunately my Unicomp is at work and my Model F is at home and I can't be bothered to lug the thing home on the bus just to test if the keycaps are compatible. Does anyone know?
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10806 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 02:55:44 »
I had to look up some pictures.

Top "case" clips on to bottom. There are likely some screws holding it on as well.

step one: find all the screws. There might be one under a label or a QC sticker. Take them out.
Step two: get a butterknife, credit card, guitor pick, nylon stick, fingernail, etc to pry the top case off.

For additional info look up a guide on removing a filco top case, as it is very likely similar.

as to the LED: it was really hard to find PCB photos but it looks like all you need to do is remove the solder from the LED holes and install an LED.

Note: if you don't want LEDs then it won't get in your way at all.

Also note: to change springs you will have to desolder. The KB I found pictures of is plate-mounted.

Just desolder the switches, open them up, change springs, solder them back and you're good to go!

Wow, thx for such a good answer, you are awesome.  One other thing, I want to disable the num lock, scroll, lock caps lock leds because I find them annyoing.  What is best way to do that? Just desolder the leds from the pcb and throw them in the trash? :)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10807 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 05:05:54 »
Is the short shift small enough to fit the right shift on a HHKB
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=tmod_grn

Sorry, this is wrong, the left (small) shift is 2.25x in that mod kit, not 1.75x. It will work for the HHKB's left shift but not the right.

Is there any difference between the keycaps currently produced by Unicomp and the keycaps used for old IBM Model F keyboards? I want to replace the filthy keycaps on my 122 key terminal board and Unicomp seems like the best place to go. The keys on my Unicomp keyboard feel basically the same as the keys on my barely used Model M, which are themselves very nice. Unfortunately my Unicomp is at work and my Model F is at home and I can't be bothered to lug the thing home on the bus just to test if the keycaps are compatible. Does anyone know?

I recently read a post by dorkvader, in which he mentioned that the keycaps are compatible but the legends are different. Perhaps he'll explain further.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10808 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:08:23 »
the keycaps are compatible but the legends are different

The are exactly the same, except different.

Unicomp uses the same machinery, in the same factory, as IBM and Lexmark used.

Even in the old days, IBM cap legends varied in depth of color and placement on the caps. I have some from the 1980s with legends practically crammed into the top left corners.

Recently, I bought a "green alert" set and the legends were almost centered, but not consistently, and a few of the legends were even below and to the right of center.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10809 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 09:08:51 »
Show Image

or different spacing?
Different.

Show Image

Just to add, from specs, the distance between the two stab mount positions in a three mount 2u key is 23.876mm. For the two mount 2u key it is going to be 19.05mm because it is meant to be mounted on two adjacent switches.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10810 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:19:27 »
besides the one piece vs two piece contruction, nope
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10811 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 14:33:27 »
One other thing, I want to disable the num lock, scroll, lock caps lock leds because I find them annyoing.  What is best way to do that? Just desolder the leds from the pcb and throw them in the trash? :)
you can desolder the LEDs or the LED resistor or cut the trace. I recommend desoldering the LEDs as you can resolder them if you want to sell it to someone who likes LEDs there.

I recently read a post by dorkvader, in which he mentioned that the keycaps are compatible but the legends are different. Perhaps he'll explain further.
:)

OK so IBM has changed legending techniques (dyesub equipment) a few times over the course of buckling spring history. You can see small differences like the colour of the sublegends on the tenkey, and huge differences like the change of font between the AT model F and model M keyboards. Later on the legends got thinner and more precise.

Unicomp bought lexmark's tooling so they have similar lines to lexmark. However, as fohat has said their accuracy is sometimes not as good.

So: old IBM: high accuracy, low precision (legends are thick and can get "fuzzy") Later IBM: sometimes better. Very late IBM and lexmark: thin lines, decent accuracy, they stuck to one colour usually (so no green alt) Unicomp: thin lines, multiple colours, high precision, lower accuracy (offset or crooked letting is not uncommon)

as to the keys themselves: I believe they changed moulds a few times over production history: you can tell there are some differences in surface roughness of the keycap itself. Unicomp is just fine.

to sum up: they are basically the same but can have tiny differences.

besides the one piece vs two piece contruction, nope
Both IBM and unicomp have 1 piece and 2 piece keycaps.

Offline cypherzion751

« Reply #10812 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 05:31:06 »

1. I recommend just waiting for the next drop.
2. You can put different colour LEDs in it like red on some green on some, etc. You can also get LEDs that change colour over time, (check it) but you can't put in LEDs that can be multiple colours (like bipolar bicolour LEDs and RGBLEDS)

Thanks for the info.  Is there a 60% keyboard that is similar to the Poker II but does have RGB led or ability to solder them in?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10813 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 06:07:19 »

2. You can put different colour LEDs in it like red on some green on some, etc. You can also get LEDs that change colour over time, (check it) but you can't put in LEDs that can be multiple colours (like bipolar bicolour LEDs and RGBLEDS)

Thanks for the info.  Is there a 60% keyboard that is similar to the Poker II but does have RGB led or ability to solder them in?

I don't see why you can't put in RGB LEDs into a Poker 2. Glissant has a KMAC which has RGB LEDs in it. Could you explain Dorkvader?

And I think Kaliet has a new 60% board that might fit your wish cypherzion751.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10814 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:02:46 »
I don't see why you can't put in RGB LEDs into a Poker 2. Glissant has a KMAC which has RGB LEDs in it. Could you explain Dorkvader?

That's interesting... wouldn't you need a PCB with control signals for the LEDs and a controller that supports them?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10815 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 07:04:02 »
That's interesting... wouldn't you need a PCB with control signals for the LEDs and a controller that supports them?

Don't know about the control signals but apparently the KMAC controller can handle it. I asked both Glissant and jdcarpe about it but neither knew a lot about the mod. Hopefully someone else can fill us in.

Offline cypherzion751

« Reply #10816 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:47:28 »
oh ok, still holding out hope for it to work.  Doesn't have to be a poker 2, just a 60% board.  I know most RGB leds have 4 leads on them when the poker 2 only has 2 holes per led.  I don't need mixing colors, but hopefully wanted to be able to switch between red, green, blue and white.  Eventually want both a 60% and a full size with that functionality.  If is not possible i'll just stick to white leds.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10817 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 17:59:15 »

RGBLEDS have 4 leads.

KMAC and poker II only have 2 leads for each LED (power and GND).

Additionally there is no way to fit the RGBLED into the switch. GMK have bi color LEDS in some of their WEY keyboards and they have a random LED leg coming out the front.

I bet they are using those colour change LEDS like in the disco poker link.

I am going to PM glissant and jdcarpe about it because I'm sure the KMAC PCB doesn't support RGBLEDs and I'm pretty sure the firmware dosen't either. Even the cherry switch itself doesn't support them. The way the corsair KB gets around it is with a SMD RGBLED and a different housing.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10818 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 18:51:36 »

RGBLEDS have 4 leads.

KMAC and poker II only have 2 leads for each LED (power and GND).

Additionally there is no way to fit the RGBLED into the switch. GMK have bi color LEDS in some of their WEY keyboards and they have a random LED leg coming out the front.

I bet they are using those colour change LEDS like in the disco poker link.

I am going to PM glissant and jdcarpe about it because I'm sure the KMAC PCB doesn't support RGBLEDs and I'm pretty sure the firmware dosen't either. Even the cherry switch itself doesn't support them. The way the corsair KB gets around it is with a SMD RGBLED and a different housing.

What about going with LEDs that have two legs but change colors with different voltages.  I know those can be had in a few different 2 color patterns, though not sure about more than that especially with the sizes that work with Cherry switches.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cypherzion751

« Reply #10819 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:43:28 »
a bi-color led board would be cool as well.  maybe a GB, but if I were to go that route, a lot of the ones that I saw require the polarity to switch to change color which is probably something that can't be done in the poker II can it?  I know that the KBParadise v60 is GB but I like the ability to program the poker. Between the v60 and two single LED pokers I think I would choose the poker.  Especially now that the Poker III is going to be coming out.  I want to pick up a poker II still though, I really want that "Enjoy Your Feeling" spacebar hahaha

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10820 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:44:54 »
I am going to PM glissant and jdcarpe about it because I'm sure the KMAC PCB doesn't support RGBLEDs and I'm pretty sure the firmware dosen't either.

You're welcome to try. When I asked them, neither of the two knew how it had been done.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10821 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 20:48:13 »

What about going with LEDs that have two legs but change colors with different voltages.  I know those can be had in a few different 2 color patterns, though not sure about more than that especially with the sizes that work with Cherry switches.

You can get a second "color" out of the LED by exploiting the fact that LEDs are directional. Such bicolour 2 pin LEDs get a second colour by runnig current in the other direction. The KMAC and poker II hardware do not support this, though you could probably "hack" it by cutting power from the transistor (so you don't destroy it) and switching power and ground on the LED array power rails.

I checked with jdcarpe and he confirmed the RGBLEDs on glissant's KMAC are the 2 pin types that just cycle through the colours with no control. The "disco poker" uses these.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10822 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 16:24:16 »
Are all of the Teensy models functionally compatible? I'd hate to, for example, buy a Teensy 3.0 if it won't work with the Teensy 2.0 firmware I plan to use.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10823 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 16:44:39 »
I'd hate to, for example, buy a Teensy 3.0 if it won't work with the Teensy 2.0 firmware I plan to use.

Soarer's stuff is for the 2.0

It is my understanding that the 3x series runs at a different voltage not suitable for USB keyboards.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10824 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 16:49:38 »
Soarer's stuff is for the 2.0

It is my understanding that the 3x series runs at a different voltage not suitable for USB keyboards.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the 2.0 and 2.0++ other than the additional IO sockets?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10825 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:08:39 »
What's the closest alps equivalent to MX blues?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10826 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:24:35 »

Grey Alps I think.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10827 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:30:31 »

Grey Alps I think.
Available in anything besides Matiases? I'm just looking for the switches for my Omnikey

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10828 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 18:41:27 »

Grey Alps I think.
Available in anything besides Matiases? I'm just looking for the switches for my Omnikey

They exist outside of Matias. I've typed on a board with them. I would say White Alps but I don't think you like them. Blue Alps have a similar sound but not the same feeling. Other than those? I'm not sure there's an option.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10829 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:28:38 »
Green XM ALPS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10830 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 19:49:38 »
Green XM ALPS

I don't think those feel like MX Blues at all. From what I remember, they feel gritty and crunchy and clicky. Really disliked them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10831 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:12:26 »
Green XM ALPS

I don't think those feel like MX Blues at all. From what I remember, they feel gritty and crunchy and clicky. Really disliked them.

Yeah.  I had a Green XM board and it was poopy.  My first exposure to Alps, and it was not pleasant.  Just felt like a super cheap/dirty MX Blue.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10832 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:15:56 »
Also, I should just be able to dunk the housings and sliders of my orange alps in some water right? I'm gonna try and lube them, but I want to get any gunk out of them first because a few still feel majorly scratchy and slow to return after actuation

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10833 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:16:59 »
Also, I should just be able to dunk the housings and sliders of my orange alps in some water right? I'm gonna try and lube them, but I want to get any gunk out of them first because a few still feel majorly scratchy and slow to return after actuation

Yup. I'd recommend distilled water and a proper dry though. Or isopropyl.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10834 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:26:49 »

Yup. I'd recommend distilled water and a proper dry though. Or isopropyl.
Cool. And this thick lube should work?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10835 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:29:40 »

For Orange Alps? I think a thin lube would work better.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10836 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:35:25 »

For Orange Alps? I think a thin lube would work better.

I'd almost think a dry lube would be better for Alps due to their design.  An oil or grease lube may encourage dust and other unwanted things to collect.  Are there any electrically non-conductive dry lubes, be they a powder, spray, coating, or whatever?  I know PTFE could work, but that's usually in an oil or grease.

Offline cptmullet

« Reply #10837 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:38:08 »
I want a board with MX clears, TKL, ideally with PBT caps.
Is there a better option than the WASD Code?

I had them on my Leopold f660m but hated the 60% compromise.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10838 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:40:00 »

Ducky Shine or KUL 87. Or get something you like and then get a modder to swap it to Clears for you. drhubblephd is still running his free assembly promotion I think and dorkvader, hoffmanmyster, and tjcaustin all do assembly in the USA.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 20:45:33 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10839 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:00:33 »
Is first class international the best option for shipping keycaps overseas? When making labels on USPS.com, it only ever shows priority mail.  And if so, are bubble mailers safe? I'm scared at the thought of them getting crushed somewhere in transit and them arriving to the buyer in pieces.   :'(
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:03:19 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10840 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:03:18 »
Is first class international the best option for shipping keycaps overseas? When making labels on USPS.com, it only ever shows priority mail.  And if so, are bubble mailers safe? I'm scared at the thought of them getting crushed somewhere in transit and have them arrive to the buyer in pieces.   :'(
I've never had anything damaged in a bubble mailer. But there seem to be different qualities. I always use the ones they sell at the PO, they're nicely cushioned but also sturdy

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10841 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:04:15 »
Is first class international the best option for shipping keycaps overseas? When making labels on USPS.com, it only ever shows priority mail.  And if so, are bubble mailers safe? I'm scared at the thought of them getting crushed somewhere in transit and have them arrive to the buyer in pieces.   :'(
I've never had anything damaged in a bubble mailer. But there seem to be different qualities. I always use the ones they sell at the PO, they're nicely cushioned but also sturdy
I have the scotch ones, I bought a few from CVS.  They seem like good quality, I'm just overly paranoid about these things.

Offline cptmullet

« Reply #10842 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:05:52 »

Ducky Shine or KUL 87. Or get something you like and then get a modder to swap it to Clears for you. drhubblephd is still running his free assembly promotion I think and dorkvader, hoffmanmyster, and tjcaustin all do assembly in the USA.

I can't for the life of me find a TKL ducky shine with clears.
Definitely have to look into having a board replaced with some clears, I have a couple rotting away in my closet... Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10843 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:05:59 »
I have the scotch ones, I bought a few from CVS.  They seem like good quality, I'm just overly paranoid about these things.
Usually shipping small sets or parts of and cheaper novelty caps, it's fine. But if I'm shipping something more valuable I'll sometimes put it in a small priority box, but only CONUS because priority international is outrageous

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10844 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:06:39 »
Will any plate work with a KMAC PCB, or do I need a KMAC specific plate?

Same question but about cases as well.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10845 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:09:11 »
Usually shipping small sets or parts of and cheaper novelty caps, it's fine. But if I'm shipping something more valuable I'll sometimes put it in a small priority box, but only CONUS because priority international is outrageous
I know! It's absolutely outrageous, I wish there were more affordable options!  Thanks for your help, Hwood! =)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10846 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:16:58 »
Is first class international the best option for shipping keycaps overseas? When making labels on USPS.com, it only ever shows priority mail.  And if so, are bubble mailers safe? I'm scared at the thought of them getting crushed somewhere in transit and them arriving to the buyer in pieces.   :'(

Not all options are available online, for the ones that aren't you have to use Stamps.com or another verified service. You can ship first class in small boxes, whenever I shipped a set of keycaps I used a box about the size of a tissue box.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10847 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:23:56 »

Not all options are available online, for the ones that aren't you have to use Stamps.com or another verified service. You can ship first class in small boxes, whenever I shipped a set of keycaps I used a box about the size of a tissue box.
Thanks Blaise! I just registered for a trial on stamps.com!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10848 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:37:25 »

Thanks Blaise! I just registered for a trial on stamps.com!

Stamps.com is great, and worth the cost if you ship a lot.  When I first started using it maybe 8 months ago, I had a few questions, so if you have questions feel free to ask (I'm not sure how many users there are on here).  I'm no expert, but I have a bit of experience.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10849 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 22:23:10 »
Will any plate work with a KMAC PCB, or do I need a KMAC specific plate?

Same question but about cases as well.

I think the KMAC plates are specific to the case. There's a lot of little tabs on the plate that play into the case/plate screw setup. I don't think I've seen the KMACs exact mounting setup in another board.

Stamps.com is great, and worth the cost if you ship a lot.  When I first started using it maybe 8 months ago, I had a few questions, so if you have questions feel free to ask (I'm not sure how many users there are on here).  I'm no expert, but I have a bit of experience.

I enjoyed my trial period with Stamps.com as well. Easy to use app, good for bulk packages, and great customer service. I just don't ship enough packages consistently to warrant the monthly payment.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 22:24:48 by CPTBadAss »