Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555653 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10950 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:00:24 »
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube

Is this lube similar to geekhack "thick" lube?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10951 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:08:21 »
Nope.  That's stabilizer lube, it's not for lubing the inside of switches.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #10952 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 11:37:46 »
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube

Is this lube similar to geekhack "thick" lube?

I think they claim that their other lube (one with the red label) can be used for swiich sliders. Not sure how well it works though.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10953 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 23:33:03 »
Any suggestions for font settings for use at http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ to simulate DSA font the closest?  I am asking because I am going to use that tool for initial mockups for my most recent IC.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #10954 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 00:52:40 »
Any ideas how to load .hex files onto an Arudino Leonardo? I've been using a Teensy which comes with the software but I went with Leonardos since they are a whole lot cheaper.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #10955 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 06:56:02 »
Press reset button and then run avrdude with correct serial device name  *within 8 seconds*. Note that serial port name may be changed often.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.msg1563867#msg1563867

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10956 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 00:12:33 »
Are there center stemmed black on beige doubleshot cherry caps locks?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10957 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:03:45 »

Nope. Techkeys had something similar from SP for a while, but I don't know if they still do.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #10958 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:06:13 »

Nope. Techkeys had something similar from SP for a while, but I don't know if they still do.

Yes there are.

Look for a board such as a G80-3190 HPU

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10959 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:11:39 »
Oh, I assumed he meant stepped.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10960 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:12:40 »
Or G80-3181HPU.. there's a bunch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 14:26:39 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline loudaslife

« Reply #10961 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 18:07:05 »
Is there any reason that most common Mechs can't be modded for NKRO? By that I mean cutting solder traces in the matrix and connecting diodes in their place. Obviously the controller has to support NKRO, but aside from that is there any reason it wouldn't work?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10962 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 19:04:38 »
Is there any reason that most common Mechs can't be modded for NKRO? By that I mean cutting solder traces in the matrix and connecting diodes in their place. Obviously the controller has to support NKRO, but aside from that is there any reason it wouldn't work?

The only part that knows about NKRO is the controller so there is no reason you can't mod any keyboard with diodes and a new controller as you are suggesting.  Sounds like you're jumping in at the deep end much like I did not long ago, see you in the "making stuff together!" section :)

Unrelated to the above I have some questions.

I've had a week or so using my first real keyboard (a Ducky Zero with red MX switches and ABS keycaps) and have two issues with it.

First, it's noisy.  I went with non clicky switches in the hope it wouldn't be, but it's still much louder than my old Cherry membrane keyboard.  From what I've read this is probably because I'm bottoming out the switches - would O rings help?  Or perhaps getting some thicker (PBT?) keycaps would dampen the sound?

Second, it's very sensitive so I keep clipping the corner of the key next to the one I want resulting in unwanted keypresses.  I think this is because the switches are too light for me but is there anything I can do about it?  It's plate mount so a spring transplant is not an option.

Seems likely both problems would be solved if I learned to type better but I still have to use a cheap keyboard at work so that's going to be hard, instead I'm going to take the easy option and throw money at the problem in the hope it goes away!  (If this board can't be made suitable I'll buy another one...)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MGH

« Reply #10963 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 21:41:55 »
Is there a list of custom keyboards (or just aluminum cases) where the slant of the keyboard is small (not exactly sure measurements but somewhere between 0 and 5 degrees)? Somewhere around the slant that most stock keyboards have without the feet lifted.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10964 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 01:35:39 »
Is there anywhere that gives discounts on bulk orders of MX switches?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10965 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 01:56:32 »
Is there a list of custom keyboards (or just aluminum cases) where the slant of the keyboard is small (not exactly sure measurements but somewhere between 0 and 5 degrees)? Somewhere around the slant that most stock keyboards have without the feet lifted.
Only ones you will find like that are ones which use aluminium feet, but with the feet removed. Like KMAC 1, Kingsaver.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MGH

« Reply #10966 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:23:57 »
Only ones you will find like that are ones which use aluminium feet, but with the feet removed. Like KMAC 1, Kingsaver.
Bleh, I doubt I'll ever find one of those. Stock board with tex case it is :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10967 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 13:54:20 »

cherry

and i think conrad does it as well

no idea tho

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10968 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 13:57:31 »

cherry

no idea tho

Cherry definitely does, but the qty is something like 20,000 units or something.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10969 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:04:54 »

Digikey.com and mouser.com do as well I believe, though i think it is for smaller orders and less of a discount than ordering from cherry but no MOQ.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline kohi

« Reply #10970 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:08:26 »
is there a big difference between the thick and very thick krytox switch lubricant formulas sold on techkeys. im trying to find thick formula to lube mx clears but it seems to be out of stock everywhere

Offline crunch

« Reply #10971 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:12:10 »
I only have this picture of a white space invader switch. I've read that it exits both a linear and clicky version, can you tell which one this is.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10972 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:14:40 »
I only have this picture of a white space invader switch. I've read that it exits both a linear and clicky version, can you tell which one this is.
Both the linear and the clicky versions come in white color and with the two "eyes" on the top. Outside of that, I'm not sure there's any other way to distinguish them

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Bakgrund

« Reply #10973 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:34:17 »
Is the tactile bump on browns as big as they are on blues?
Quickfire Rapid    Quickfire Rapid
Mx Browns          Mx Reds
Ducky thick PBT   Stock caps

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10974 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:35:10 »
Physically on the stem yes, but in feel, I don't feel like it is the same.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10975 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 15:57:37 »
Physically on the stem yes, but in feel, I don't feel like it is the same.

++

this

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10976 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:41:32 »

cherry

no idea tho

Cherry definitely does, but the qty is something like 20,000 units or something.

Would 7bit offer any discount?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10977 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 18:52:44 »

cherry

no idea tho

Would 7bit offer any discount?

i dunno

ask him

Offline Bakgrund

« Reply #10978 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:57:39 »
Not really keyboard related but how do you make these small keyboard pics that everybody has in their signatures? like here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67195.msg1577835#msg1577835

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10979 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:50:06 »
Not really keyboard related but how do you make these small keyboard pics that everybody has in their signatures? like here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67195.msg1577835#msg1577835
Are you asking about how to actually make these? Or where to find them?
I'm not sure how they're made but it's called pixel art if that helps, maybe Google it?

Sorry I'm on mobile right now so I can't link it but we have a thread somewhere where you can find or request pixel art keyboard pictures.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Bakgrund

« Reply #10980 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 18:06:57 »
Are you asking about how to actually make these? Or where to find them?
I'm not sure how they're made but it's called pixel art if that helps, maybe Google it?

Sorry I'm on mobile right now so I can't link it but we have a thread somewhere where you can find or request pixel art keyboard pictures.

Oh, I thought that it was like a site you could make them on, as they are all so similar and well-made, but I guess I'll just have to spend some time in MS paint.

Edit: Ok, I took sealcouch's filco pixelart and edited it a bit, here's the final result:

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 December 2014, 18:29:30 by Bakgrund »

Offline MGH

« Reply #10981 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 22:23:43 »
Just want to make sure, is this the cheapest non DIY wire keycap puller?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10982 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 22:33:17 »
Just want to make sure, is this the cheapest non DIY wire keycap puller?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=949

pretty much

Offline malganis

« Reply #10983 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 05:11:25 »
Hey guys.

Any idea about where in Europe I could get a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I with MX Brown and ANSI layout?

Thanks!

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #10984 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 16:51:15 »
Does a metal DSA set exist?
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10985 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 16:57:23 »
Nope, zinc has only been done in DCS

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10986 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 19:08:26 »
Nope, zinc has only been done in DCS

Actually it was OEM, not DCS

I think it was based originally off of vortex's caps

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10987 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 22:47:11 »
So what does this"diffuser" do in relation the actual case

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10988 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 01:51:09 »

I wasn't aware the Koreans had picked up on my design using two flat heads screws and a hex stand-off. Achievement unlocked.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10989 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 02:17:17 »

That is a very nice case. Any idea if this would fit a GHpad pcb? If you want to do a mini-group buy for a couple, I would be interested!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10990 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 02:28:11 »

That is a very nice case. Any idea if this would fit a GHpad pcb? If you want to do a mini-group buy for a couple, I would be interested!
with these cases, there is some space between the numbers and the top row which makes me believe that it wouldn't fit. But there are also places to get the proper PCBs for $20 something. One of my friends at school is a foreign exchange student from Korea. He was just there for the holidays, but I might get some stuff for him to bring back the next time to save on shipping. Not sure how much he could bring though :p

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10991 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 02:59:00 »

with these cases, there is some space between the numbers and the top row which makes me believe that it wouldn't fit. But there are also places to get the proper PCBs for $20 something. One of my friends at school is a foreign exchange student from Korea. He was just there for the holidays, but I might get some stuff for him to bring back the next time to save on shipping. Not sure how much he could bring though :p

Yeah I was thinking that space by the upper row could cause some difficulties! Let me know if you are decide to go through with getting them someday and want to split shipping..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10992 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:16:44 »

Diffuses the light so that it's softer.

It's trendy right now.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10993 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:27:00 »

It's trendy right now.

Did you click the links?  Every product shot is identical between the two...  The only difference in photos is what appears to be the make-up of the layers, though it's not clear without a solid translation what the difference is.  Or maybe I'm misinterpreting hwood's initial question.  :P

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10994 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:30:17 »
of course i clicked the links

my ****ty korean skills got me to the answer that i gave

the "diffuser" is a frosted bit of acrylic that replaces some part of the case

that's why it's only $7 and not $14 like the whole case

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10995 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:30:30 »

It's trendy right now.

Did you click the links?  Every product shot is identical between the two...  The only difference in photos is what appears to be the make-up of the layers, though it's not clear without a solid translation what the difference is.  Or maybe I'm misinterpreting hwood's initial question.  :P
No, he had the right idea. I was asking because they used the same pictures for the diffuser as they did for the actual case.
And are there any pictures of the differences?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10996 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 14:32:07 »
i'd check kbdlab

i think i've seen some there

can't find them again tho

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10997 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 17:04:43 »
What controller should I get to program my HHKB with dvorak?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10998 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 19:40:47 »

I would look at hasu's controller.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10999 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 19:48:38 »

I would look at hasu's controller.

Thanks.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done