Author Topic: What is the Best Brown Switch Gaming Keyboard  (Read 6997 times)

Offline ike2030

What is the Best Brown Switch Gaming Keyboard
« on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 12:50:07 »
Thanks to geekhacks help ive narrowed my selection down to Cherry MX Browns. All i need to know is which cherry brown gaming keyboard is the best? Ive been looking at the Blackwidow ultimate stealth and that seems pretty good but i would like to know if theres better keyboards for a better price.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Re: What is the Best Brown Switch Gaming Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:53:04 »
As for a gaming keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, a TKL size keyboard is going to be better than the full-size Razer that you have been looking at, since your mouse is closer to your keyboard.  And you should never be using your number pad during any seriously competitive gaming.

As for LED's, IMO you should not be using those either.  If you need to look down at your keyboard while gaming, you are not going to be doing very well as a gamer.  You really have to learn to use the keyboard without ever looking at it, is my advice.  If you can stand Otaku (blank) keycaps, that would be even better.

Now if you just like the look of LED's, well that's a matter of aesthetic preference, and it's your choice.  I personally don't really like LED keyboards, mainly because it forces you to use those horrid painted keycaps.  And if you do any serious gaming the paint will wear off the WASD cluster in a month or less.  Also it feels horrible. 

So, my advice is to get yourself a good old Filco TKL with MX Browns.  It's a great gaming keyboard, and you can buy any number of replacement keycaps for it as well.  If you need to save a few bucks, I have two Leopold FC200R's that are as good, in terms of quality as any of my 5 Filco's, and I think they are a like $20-30 (USD) cheaper. 

My last bit of advice is very unconventional, but if you want a radical gaming keyboard, you can try a Poker for gaming.  I used one for a while for gaming, and it worked great.  The only thing I didn't like was the flexion of the PCB, but if you got one with a metal plate you would solve that problem.  The Poker while gaming feels like a tiny little gaming pad.  It's actually very underrated as a gaming keyboard, IMO.  It's also great for travelling to LAN parties.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline ike2030

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 14:25:21 »
i need one thats good for MMO that can withstand alot of mashing of the arrow keys

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:22:18 »
In a sense I always feel every high end keyboard is a gaming keyboard. Since every high end keyboard typically has the features that one would look for in a gaming keyboard (the features that matter anyway). They are typically durable, you can use simultaneous buttons without any issues, and they are nice and responsive.

That is why I feel it is worth looking beyond just brands like Corsair, Mionix, Cooler Master and Razer, but you might as well include brands like DAS, Leopold, Filco, Ducky and WASD etc. Especially since some of them add features you also see in many gaming keyboards like USB hubs, media keys and back-lighting. Some of those brands are rated better in build quality than some of the keyboards that "gaming" brands like Razer make (since you mentioned being able to "mashing" on it was a necessity)

It is hard to talk about what is "best" since so many people have different preferences regarding layout, keycaps, stabilizers and all sorts of things. There are a lot of viable options, and which one is best for you depends on your budget and preferences. I think that when it comes to value, the Cooler master Storm Quickfire Rapid is hard to beat if you do not mind going tenkeyless. If you want something backlit, then the Ducky is appealing since unlike some of  the other backlit options (like Corsair and Razer) you have the freedom of choice regarding both the switch you want and the color of backlight you want. I agree with the previous poster that backlight does not do a lot for gaming (or typing for that matter), but at least I can think of some situations in gaming where it would be nice to have. For example, when using the whole keyboard for an RTS, if you are not completely hardcore, you might be aided by the backlight. If you want to emphasize other things, like just the build quality etc. then there would be yet another appealing option.

Just take your time reading some reviews and thoughts on the models that interest you and pick one. Personally I game on  browns as well, and have a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless. My previous keyboard (now at work) was also a Filco, and my other mechanical keyboard is also not sold anymore. In that sense I can not help you with your decision other than saying that I am very content with my filco. Though I did at some point change the keycaps on both.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:29:26 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:50:26 »
i need one thats good for MMO that can withstand alot of mashing of the arrow keys

Well any Cherry MX switch is rated for 50 Million key presses as a mean before failure, IIRC.  So you can mash away on your arrow keys all you want.  The problem comes with the keycaps sitting on top of the key switches.  Any backlit keycap will be painted, and the paint will wear off, rather quickly if you are a real key masher.  The same will happen with pad-printed ABS keycaps, i.e., the legends will get worn off.  Also if you are a mad key masher, ABS caps will get worn shiny after a while.  So you are left with looking for PBT keycaps which take an incredibly long time to shine, or getting a set of ABS double-shot keycaps, which will turn shiny, but the legends will never wear off, because they are injection molded through the top of the keycap.  And you can replace the ABS double shots with a nifty new set once they become too shiny to bear.  And you can sell the shiny ones to a shiny keycap fetishist on this very forum.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 17:13:01 »
You can get Ducky boards with engraved PBT caps, nice and easy. They'll handle quite a bit of mashing without showing much wear.

Offline mechanisch

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 23:35:59 »
For what its worth, I'm a heavy MMO gamer, and my go-to board is the Choc Mini.  Its so compact I can fly around it and all my keybindings with such fluidity and proficiency.  When I want some variety occasionally I'll use my Filco tenkeyless.  I echo the recommendations above, gaming boards really are suited to be tenkeyless or smaller IMO, and any quality mechanical would work just fine.  I've never used or needed extraneous features on my boards like macros.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 23:42:35 »
I agree, my mouse-pad is 18x18" and for the past couple years I was using a full-sized keyboard until recently when I found out smaller options existed my Num-pad would sit on my mouse-pad. I'd say if its your first mech keyboard a CM QF Browns would suit you well too decide if you want too invest in anything else down the round (you will).

I would never recommend a Razer too anyone who I call a friend, they feel cheap and in my hands never handled well.

Offline calavera

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 00:16:29 »
My gaming keyboard is a choc mini as well with brown switches. NKRO over USB! Besides the HHKB I think no other keyboard offers it.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 01:14:23 »
If you guys like the Choc Mini, try the Poker for gaming.  I think you're gonna love it.  But like I said above, without a plate, the PCB in the Poker flexes a bit.  Maybe it'll be annoying to you, maybe not.  But if you are going to get a new Poker, get a custom one with a metal plate.  (If you need any other advice on how to spend money with abandon, feel free to PM me.)  ;)

The Poker:

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2013, 01:17:38 by eth0s »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 01:59:58 »
I think the best stock keyboard for gaming right now is the Logitech G700 G710+ for overall good features and good quality. Plus browns are my Cherry of choice. I own a CM Storm Trigger which almost is on par with the G700 G710+ IMO
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:19:58 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:18:28 »
I think the best stock keyboard for gaming right now is the Logitech G700 for overall good features and good quality. Plus browns are my Cherry of choice. I own a CM Storm Trigger which almost is on par with the G700 IMO

Isn't the G700 a mouse?

Anyway, I play WoW almost exclusively and since owning a TKL, I will simply never go back. I used to use Brown switches as well. That was until I started using reds.

My suggestion if you want backlighting, Ducky Shine 2 with reds. Quality is on par with Filco, the same price and you can choose your LED color. Plus with Cherry stabilizers, you get less rattle and ping noises.

The case is free of logos and they even have backlit compatible thick PBTs coming soon.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:23:46 »
Why does the "gaming" question keep coming up... for keyboards...

It makes NO DIFFERENCE....

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:36:07 »
I think the best stock keyboard for gaming right now is the Logitech G700 for overall good features and good quality. Plus browns are my Cherry of choice. I own a CM Storm Trigger which almost is on par with the G700 IMO

Isn't the G700 a mouse?

Anyway, I play WoW almost exclusively and since owning a TKL, I will simply never go back. I used to use Brown switches as well. That was until I started using reds.

My suggestion if you want backlighting, Ducky Shine 2 with reds. Quality is on par with Filco, the same price and you can choose your LED color. Plus with Cherry stabilizers, you get less rattle and ping noises.

The case is free of logos and they even have backlit compatible thick PBTs coming soon.

I think he meant G710+

Personally, I would just recommend a CM Quickfire Rapid. An inexpensive board that is basically identical to the beloved Filco TKL boards. There just isn't anything with more bang for the buck. No backlight though.

I think the Ducky Shine 2 is the only good option for a TKL style board with backlight. If you want a 10-key, which you haven't said anything about, the Quickfire TK is a nice compact keyboard that can switch between 10-key and TKL modes. The TK is what I have and I like it.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:50:34 »
Oh god. Sorry about that! I meant G710+

Well some of the features for "gaming keyboards" can really come in handy like programming macros to the macro keys, having a dedicated volume wheel thingy (This could be considered just convenient, but it's useful not to have to hold down a function key)

Also it just LOOKS like a gaming keyboard. And comes with pre-installed o-rings and junk and stuff. I think gamers just want it all in one package as opposed to "keyboard scientist" types who would like to try features more individually.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:44:33 »

Well, I disagree on several fronts... But for one, I would never recommend anything but a TKL or smaller for gaming.

But I do agree some companies take it a bit far when using it as a gimmick

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:49:14 »
If you guys like the Choc Mini, try the Poker for gaming.  I think you're gonna love it.

A proper F row is quite necessary. If that's not the case, poker seems to be really awesome.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 13:51:45 »
If you guys like the Choc Mini, try the Poker for gaming.  I think you're gonna love it.

A proper F row is quite necessary. If that's not the case, poker seems to be really awesome.

Depends on the genre though.  I imagine in an FPS you would not want to go without. But in a FPS I would not care, and I do not think many people would.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline mechanisch

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:29:51 »
I'd love to try a Poker sometime.  But for MMO gaming, the genre I play the most, I gots to have me some Fn keys :)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 21:26:11 »

Depends on the genre though.  I imagine in an FPS you would not want to go without. But in a FPS I would not care, and I do not think many people would.

You may want to rephrase this post. It doesn't make any sense.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 21:58:31 »
I think he meant in RTS people would want the F keys, in FPS people wouldn't care.  Or other way around.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 02:40:59 »

The problem with the G710+ is that it only has a one year warranty according to Logitech's site.  Newegg had it listed as two years, which was the basis for my being willing to give it a shot.  Given its history of backlighting issues, I personally don't think the keyboard is worth the risk.  The G19 has a three year warranty, and has more things to go wrong with it (rubber dome keys, the color screen).  How little does Logitech trust their G710+ with its more reliable mechanical switches to offer only 1/3 the warranty?

I had just bought a G710+ for $99 on Amazon (suggested retail $149) and initially liked the keyboard just fine.  I knew and was prepared to deal with possible backlight failure since I had a two year warranty to cover things....except then I found out today that I didn't, when I went to review the keyboard on the Logitech site. 

The G710+ was nice to type on, but the backlighting was extremely uneven on several keys, which I don't find acceptable for $149 keyboard - especially when the photo on the box shows them perfectly, brilliantly lit. 

Other things to be aware of: the labeling for the number keys is done "backwards", with the symbols BELOW the numbers, which is surprisingly discombobulating, and the capslock/numlock plus two other indicator lights on the top right are blindingly bright.  Worse, there's NO way to dim them as they aren't connected to either of the two dimmer switches (one for the wasd/arrow keys and one for MOST of the rest of the keys).  Finally, there's also no way to disable to the capslock key, which I kept managing to hit by accident.  My G710+ is currently repacked and waiting to go back to Amazon.

Of course, ymmv.

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 02:48:08 by kittykatmax »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 10:08:57 »

The problem with the G710+ is that it only has a one year warranty according to Logitech's site.  Newegg had it listed as two years, which was the basis for my being willing to give it a shot.  Given its history of backlighting issues, I personally don't think the keyboard is worth the risk.  The G19 has a three year warranty, and has more things to go wrong with it (rubber dome keys, the color screen).  How little does Logitech trust their G710+ with its more reliable mechanical switches to offer only 1/3 the warranty?

I had just bought a G710+ for $99 on Amazon (suggested retail $149) and initially liked the keyboard just fine.  I knew and was prepared to deal with possible backlight failure since I had a two year warranty to cover things....except then I found out today that I didn't, when I went to review the keyboard on the Logitech site. 

The G710+ was nice to type on, but the backlighting was extremely uneven on several keys, which I don't find acceptable for $149 keyboard - especially when the photo on the box shows them perfectly, brilliantly lit. 

Other things to be aware of: the labeling for the number keys is done "backwards", with the symbols BELOW the numbers, which is surprisingly discombobulating, and the capslock/numlock plus two other indicator lights on the top right are blindingly bright.  Worse, there's NO way to dim them as they aren't connected to either of the two dimmer switches (one for the wasd/arrow keys and one for MOST of the rest of the keys).  Finally, there's also no way to disable to the capslock key, which I kept managing to hit by accident.  My G710+ is currently repacked and waiting to go back to Amazon.

Of course, ymmv.

The problem with these companies is the gimicky aspect. The boards are hit and miss and with all the great quality mechanical boards out there I can't justify buying these "gaming" boards because they have an extra feature or two you will likely never use. I use a TKL now as a result and never find myself yearning for more features. In order for the companies to make prices reasonable, they will sacrifice quality for these overrated extra features. Such as Corsair's board not being completely mechanical.

The typing experience of a solid board greatly surpasses a medicor built board with more features in my opinion. If you want features over quality, the Logitech and others may be the brand for you. But really gauge what you will use. Because while some of these features may seem great on paper, they truly become useless (Deathstalker LCD screen and LCD macros).

Offline kittykatmax

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:53:14 »

The problem with these companies is the gimicky aspect. The boards are hit and miss and with all the great quality mechanical boards out there I can't justify buying these "gaming" boards because they have an extra feature or two you will likely never use. I use a TKL now as a result and never find myself yearning for more features. In order for the companies to make prices reasonable, they will sacrifice quality for these overrated extra features. Such as Corsair's board not being completely mechanical.

The typing experience of a solid board greatly surpasses a medicor built board with more features in my opinion. If you want features over quality, the Logitech and others may be the brand for you. But really gauge what you will use. Because while some of these features may seem great on paper, they truly become useless (Deathstalker LCD screen and LCD macros).

Respectfully, for many gamers, these added features aren't perceived as gimmicks  at all (ok, the LCD screens totally are, but then the G710+ doesn't have one).  Also, the 710+ is reported to have a quality PCB.  I'm so mad at myself because I can't find the link, but there was another hardcore keyboard enthusiast forum I came across and someone well established there claimed to know (but coyly would not reveal) who made the PCB for Logitech.  They WOULD say the Logitech G710+ PCB was on par with Filco (or did they say CoStar?) for quality.  Again, thinking (erroneously, thanks to Newegg) I'd have a two year warranty, and knowing from experience that Logitech has amazing customer service, I was willing to give it a shot at $99 because it had the features I wanted and that I know from experience I actually use and rely on.  I would have actually preferred it NOT have macro keys in order to have a narrower form factor, but if they're there I use them.  Gimmick to you, convenience/quality of life for the unwashed keyboarding masses - particularly gamers.   People look at the lesser quality keyboards because they have features the snobby keyboard makers like Filco won't condescend to produce.  I mean, a tank would be more rugged than my IS 250, and certainly would handle better in the snow, but it doesn't mean I'd rather drive one and give up my heated/air conditioned leather seats and nice stereo. ;) 

All that said, I am apparently trainable, because after processing the G710+ return with Amazon, I placed an order for a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.  Hopefully the lack of features won't drive me crazy once I (hopefully) adapt.  No keypad means I lose some of my WoW keybinds, but since it's the champion of quality combined with affordability in mechanical keyboards, I went with it.  Reviews on the other CM mechanical keyboards (ones with backlighting and/or number pads) seemed to show some issues and they had slightly lower overall consumer ratings.  I also decided to go for broke and get it with Cherry Blue switches instead of the brown - it was cheaper for whatever reason ($64 instead of $79) and if I decide it's not quite my cup of tea, I'll have an excuse to try something else.  ;)   I DO wish CM offered a dedicated mechanical number pad to augment the TKL board.  There are only two I could readily find - one by Adesso with poor quality mechanical switches, and the Filco, which costs a dollar more than the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid!  If CM could make a dedicated mechanical keypad for at or under $35, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

From everything I've read, your best bet, especially as an entry level mechanical keyboard user, is the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid - although you'll want to go with browns, not blues as I did (and hopefully will not regret. lol)
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 11:59:11 by kittykatmax »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:06:42 »

Respectfully, for many gamers, these added features aren't perceived as gimmicks  at all (ok, the LCD screens totally are, but then the G710+ doesn't have one).  Also, the 710+ is reported to have a quality PCB.  I'm so mad at myself because I can't find the link, but there was another hardcore keyboard enthusiast forum I came across and someone well established there claimed to know (but coyly would not reveal) who made the PCB for Logitech.  They WOULD say the Logitech G710+ PCB was on par with Filco (or did they say CoStar?) for quality.  Again, thinking (erroneously, thanks to Newegg) I'd have a two year warranty, and knowing from experience that Logitech has amazing customer service, I was willing to give it a shot at $99 because it had the features I wanted and that I know from experience I actually use and rely on.  I would have actually preferred it NOT have macro keys in order to have a narrower form factor, but if they're there I use them.  Gimmick to you, convenience/quality of life for the unwashed keyboarding masses - particularly gamers.   People look at the lesser quality keyboards because they have features the snobby keyboard makers like Filco won't condescend to produce.  I mean, a tank would be more rugged than my IS 250, and certainly would handle better in the snow, but it doesn't mean I'd rather drive one and give up my heated/air conditioned leather seats and nice stereo. ;) 

All that said, I am apparently trainable, because after processing the G710+ return with Amazon, I placed an order for a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid.  Hopefully the lack of features won't drive me crazy once I (hopefully) adapt.  No keypad means I lose some of my WoW keybinds, but since it's the champion of quality combined with affordability in mechanical keyboards, I went with it.  Reviews on the other CM mechanical keyboards (ones with backlighting and/or number pads) seemed to show some issues and they had slightly lower overall consumer ratings.  I also decided to go for broke and get it with Cherry Blue switches instead of the brown - it was cheaper for whatever reason ($64 instead of $79) and if I decide it's not quite my cup of tea, I'll have an excuse to try something else.  ;)   I DO wish CM offered a dedicated mechanical number pad to augment the TKL board.  There are only two I could readily find - one by Adesso with poor quality mechanical switches, and the Filco, which costs a dollar more than the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid!  If CM could make a dedicated mechanical keypad for at or under $35, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

From everything I've read, your best bet, especially as an entry level mechanical keyboard user, is the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid - although you'll want to go with browns, not blues as I did (and hopefully will not regret. lol)

Perhaps you are missing my point. I am not saying all "gaming" boards and features are gimmicky but to simply watch out for ones that are and gauge what features you feel are truly necessary. Because while some features may seem cool, the sacrifice in production cost will hurt you in the end because you purchased something for a feature(s) you wind up never even using.

Also, I have owned a plethora of keyboards from all these companies and I can tell you from experience that is very hit and miss. My overprice Razer Deathstalker Ultimate's quality was absolutely garbage while I won't use any other mouse but a Razer naga. And to this day, one of the best quality keyboards I've owned was a Logitech Dinivo, but the plastic case on their mechanical keyboard feels lackluster compared to my Ducky Shine 2.

My favorite feature of every board I've owned was a TKL. I know it's not a feature, but that is my point. The simple fact that the board is small improved my gaming experience. So the board's cost was all quality.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:18:07 »
I've also gone the simplistic route with my main cherry board. It's just an HPE 87 with the soft, thin o-rings and black, blank Ducky PBT caps. One of my favorite boards. I need a GirlDC cap to put on the Gaming button so the blue LED will show through the eyes ;D

It's cherry brown as well btw. Highly recommended!

Offline BornEvil

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:33:25 »
I'm also in a similar hunt. And brown switches are also my primary chose of switches.

Definatly going for tenkeyless for my next KB.

I've got a cm storm quickfire pro that really annoys the heck out of me cos it is so big. I would image the Razor you want would be worst.

I used to be a Razor fan, but sort of grown out of it, lousy font, 18 year old gamer casing etc. I still think they do nice KB but I now prefer sleek looking keyboards.

ATM, I am looking at a Keycool 87 or QFR Stealth with brown switches. The keycool is very good value KB from my research.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:37:53 by BornEvil »
9087 Shine 2 Brown ISO | Quickfire Pro Red ISO | Quickfire Rapid Brown ANSI

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 20:42:41 »
I like the layout of 75% boards for MMO gaming, mostly because having F1-F12 right over the number keys is convenient for key binding and having ESC a bit closer doesn't hurt either.

Offline mechanisch

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 22:33:26 »
I like the layout of 75% boards for MMO gaming, mostly because having F1-F12 right over the number keys is convenient for key binding and having ESC a bit closer doesn't hurt either.

Is there a list of 75% boards available somewhere?

Offline Mainian

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 22:45:45 »
If you guys like the Choc Mini, try the Poker for gaming.  I think you're gonna love it.  But like I said above, without a plate, the PCB in the Poker flexes a bit.  Maybe it'll be annoying to you, maybe not.  But if you are going to get a new Poker, get a custom one with a metal plate.  (If you need any other advice on how to spend money with abandon, feel free to PM me.)  ;)

The Poker:

Show Image

The poker is awful for most MMO's if you use f1-f5 to select your party members or other keys like that...

Offline Jeru

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:51:43 »
I have used the Logitech G710+ for about 3 months to do a review about, what I loved about it was that Logitech actually thinks about their hardware and the usefulness of the design. It has a special gutter for your headset so you can route your headset cable underneath your keyboard. Also they put in o-rings which quite dampened the sound the browns make, at least they supply them obviously you can remove them if you don't like it. Key quality was quite good for what I can say for three months of use, my noppoo choc mini and de 6gv2 I previously owned have quite bad keys, that both faded quite quickly.
I like that with my choc mini my hands are closer together when playing, but in normal use I do miss my numpad, I didn't realize how much I actually use it and how annoying it could be not to have one.
Next tuesday or wednesday I'll get a CoolerMaster Storm QuickFire Pro to do a review on as well, and already I am a bit annoyed by the fact that it isn't fully led lit. But I am curious how the red's will be to play with.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 15:31:25 »
Is there a list of 75% boards available somewhere?

75% mech. boards include:

Noppoo Choc Mini
Keycool 84
DECK 82
Cherry G84 (most are mini layout with ML switches)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS version)
Vortex/KBT Race
LF MX Mini
KS Mini (under development?)

There are probably more that I missed, but aside from these, there are quite a few scissor-switch and rubberdome keyboards with similar layouts.

From what I've gathered in my searches the SIIG's JK-US0312-S1 model is rubberdome, but seems to be of very decent quality aside from the legend wearing rather quickly.

edit: people complain of key grinding/sticking with un-even key presses on Cherry ML and ALPS, so you may want to avoid those for gaming unless you take the time to lube them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2013, 15:37:05 by Skull_Angel »

Offline ike2030

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:07:45 »
Thank you for all the answers! I will check out that choco mini keyboard and some of the others posted... Keep the feedback coming!

Offline ike2030

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:14:43 »
I checked out the Choco mini and it seems that my fingers would bump the surrounding keys way too much while I'm mashing the arrow keys. The only thing i really liked about the choco was how small the keycaps were. I primarily play a game called Grand Chase and i need to slide my finger from the up arrow to the down arrow and vice versa so smaller keycaps would feel better.

Offline trrbo

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 04:40:22 »
Thanks to geekhacks help ive narrowed my selection down to Cherry MX Browns. All i need to know is which cherry brown gaming keyboard is the best? Ive been looking at the Blackwidow ultimate stealth and that seems pretty good but i would like to know if theres better keyboards for a better price.

I've owned the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2013 & I currently use the Logitech 710+. The 710+ keycap's quality, bigger size, thickness, stiffness, and brown switches (I took out the rubber o-rings) just felt better than the Blackwidow Stealth to me.  I found typing & gaming much more pleasurable. The 710+ has better macro software, more overall features, and better implemented features such as dedicated volume controls (love the flick knob) that I find especially handy while in a game. I like how you can route your headphone wire under the keyboard as well.

I don't recommend the Black Widow Ultimate Stealth. Not even at $92, the price that I paid for, and certainly not for the absurd full price of $160+ after taxes and shipping from the Razer store. I bought the 710+ for $99,  and I've been very satisfied with my purchase once I removed the preinstalled rubber o-rings. So far no backlight issues, no uneven key feeling, zero ping noises.

If you must have dedicated macro keys, which can be useful for mmos, dedicated media controls, and LEDs for your gaming, then the 710+ is the best executed of the bunch. I'm willing to bet it's better than the CM Storm Trigger too. If you don't need dedicated macro keys and/or LEDs, then you have an amazing number of brown switch keyboards to choose - some of which would be of higher quality, but with less features that you probably don't need anyways.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2013, 04:43:42 by trrbo »