Author Topic: Disable Cpu Core question.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Disable Cpu Core question.
« on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 16:27:48 »
I have an i5 2500k @ static 5ghz right now, "yes, I have intel insurance"

Does disabling CPU cores in bios, actually turn them off completely?

I'm just wondering if I could do the max 5.6ghz more reliably with a "dual core" because that's all I really need for starcraft II...

I can push 5.6 right now, but at killing voltage

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Disable Cpu Core question.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 16:50:32 »
disabling the cores will not stop electricity from going through them.  The cores will simply cease computing.  The likelyhood of a chip staying stable managing fewer cores is higher, but usually you still need higher than regular voltage to push it to those limits.  Overclocking your CPU that high will yield such poor performance gains it really wouldn't be worth it.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 18:12:07 »
disabling the cores will not stop electricity from going through them.  The cores will simply cease computing.  The likelyhood of a chip staying stable managing fewer cores is higher, but usually you still need higher than regular voltage to push it to those limits.  Overclocking your CPU that high will yield such poor performance gains it really wouldn't be worth it.

Damn.. I was hopping it would work like disabling the IGP, whereby it's just dead silicon.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 07:11:02 »
Going from 5gh to 5.6ghz for a game hardly gets you anything. You're already way past the CPU bottlneck point. Best look at overclocking your GPU instead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 10:55:31 »
Going from 5gh to 5.6ghz for a game hardly gets you anything. You're already way past the CPU bottlneck point. Best look at overclocking your GPU instead.

:D,, I'm just Weari~~ of that "one moment" where my doods need that extra cpu command to "get there" and kill things in someone's base...

I've gotten pretty competitive in SC2 online... So, I've disabled all the eye candy for the most basic visuals for highest fps.