Author Topic: Audio Question... Need a Pro  (Read 1544 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
Audio Question... Need a Pro
« on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 14:44:15 »
Okay, so after diligently searching for an audio solution for my set up and reading days worth of forum posts, I have purchased studio monitors instead of a gimmicky out of the box surround sound system.

After narrowing my search to Yamaha H50s, KRK Rockit 5s, Audioengine A5 and Mackie MR5 MK2s, I decided to purchase the Mackies as most reviews stated that MK2s are a newer generation and out of the box bass response is accurate and solid even without a sub. However, I do plan on adding a sub later on. I hooked them up and wow what an amazing sound. Blows out the Boss I had tried that were $150 more money.

Now, on to my question. I want to purchase a sound card and after doing some research came across the fact that in order for my Astro A50s to get the true surround sound response it is built for, I need a card with DDL. That narrows my search down to pretty much anything with an optical out. I was ready to pull the trigger on this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA since it is reasonably priced, post creative issues (they fixed a lot of problems with their new line) and has external features such as headphone input, mic input and volume control. This is actually semi important since turning down the monitors manually is a pain in the ass and done from behind them.

My only issue now is how do I make these monitors emulate surround sound? What is coming out of them is great, but what interface would allow the directional illusion I am looking for. I bought these not to reference music but for entertainment and I am glad they push a better sound that any "PC Speaker" system can give, but I definitely want position audio.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Audio Question... Need a Pro
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 15:18:49 »
I'm not familiar with that particular usb sound card, but with my titanium HD it has positional emulation setting in the software. It work ok with my 2.1 set up but you know it is still a 2.1, it is not that convincing always.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 16:12:23 »
emulated surround sound is bad..  think about how complex the process is.. and the fact that "head transfer functions" are specific to EVERY PERSON, no way to emulate that..

Even if the creator made an equation that "sounded" good and localized "to him", it wouldn't work well on "you"..

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 16:42:52 »
emulated surround sound is bad..  think about how complex the process is.. and the fact that "head transfer functions" are specific to EVERY PERSON, no way to emulate that..

Even if the creator made an equation that "sounded" good and localized "to him", it wouldn't work well on "you"..

Well, I was under the impression that virtual stereo was actually more accurate than true 5.1 surround sound in terms of positioning. Especially in headphones. Regardless, I probably will add back speakers eventually to my system. So I guess my question would be what sound card would be a good buy that will give me all necessary functionality while not just allowing my two new monitors to audition in stereo, but with some sort of surround sound emulation or future functionality.

EDIT: Also, do you think I am better off maybe getting an audio interface instead? Or will sound cards be my best bet since I am looking for THX and DDL compatibility?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 March 2013, 16:48:49 by OnTheBrink »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 19:00:55 »

Well, I was under the impression that virtual stereo was actually more accurate than true 5.1 surround sound in terms of positioning. Especially in headphones. Regardless, I probably will add back speakers eventually to my system. So I guess my question would be what sound card would be a good buy that will give me all necessary functionality while not just allowing my two new monitors to audition in stereo, but with some sort of surround sound emulation or future functionality.

EDIT: Also, do you think I am better off maybe getting an audio interface instead? Or will sound cards be my best bet since I am looking for THX and DDL compatibility?

How quiet is your environment, if it's more than 35-40db HiFi speakers would be completely worthless....

That is the most important thing you should consider first....

All of that "transparent" "tone" "warmth" talk mean absolutely nothing if you got a PC on the ground and a few harddrives.

Because if you're in such an environment, you can only go with head-fi..

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 22:17:05 »

How quiet is your environment, if it's more than 35-40db HiFi speakers would be completely worthless....

That is the most important thing you should consider first....

All of that "transparent" "tone" "warmth" talk mean absolutely nothing if you got a PC on the ground and a few harddrives.

Because if you're in such an environment, you can only go with head-fi..

I'm confused by this post. My room is extremely quiet with just the PC on. I don't know what that has to do with Hi-Fi audio however.

Nevertheless, I am now thinking about exchanging these for the Swan M50W considering it has a sub and even with adding a sub to these, I think will be extreme overkill.

But I just can't get over how crisp these sound and/or imagine how much better they are going to sound when I get a sound card.