Author Topic: The NEW GH Automotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)  (Read 10396 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
The NEW GH Automotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)
« on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:00:02 »
FOLKS

it's a whole new car and motorsports world out there.

TRUE FACTS:

1) boost and i have completely changed allegiances (he has an asian market car and i have a euro market car now OMGWTFBBQ?!?! and i have a TURBO!?!?!?!)

2) F1 is fun to watch again. no one knows how it happened, but it did

3) petter solberg is racing rallycross again AND TARGETING THE X-GAMES, and no one cares what happens in WRC now because the 1.6l cars all suck and all the manufacturers and most of the good drivers dropped out

4) solo2 stock class is getting a complete makeover for 2014 -- camber, wheel and full sway changes will be allowed, and insane cheater damper sets are going to be clamped down on (!!!). maybe something that's not an s2000 will get FTD at nationals?!?!? (AHAHAHAHAHAAH i'm joking i'm joking)

5) scca showroom stock/world challenge finally put together an interesting class: the b-spec formula lets you take 14k econobox, build it up for about 25k using 100% OEM Parts and keep your racing budget down to maybe 50k for the year. it's like spec miata but without all those goddamn blueprinted cheater miatas!

6) the new vette is a goddamn supercar for 40k

7) i'm still jealous of mimic's AP2 :(

LET'S TALK ABOUT CARS!
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:05:15 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: The NEW GH AUtomotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:02:08 »
oh i forgot:

8. lewis hamilton is a ****! he thinks he's freaking senna's reincarnated form. KUNDUN WAS A LIE, LEWIS, YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER FAST WHINY KID

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline RatPatrol01

Re: The NEW GH Automotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:07:35 »
All I know is that I want to switch back to my Spring and Summer wheels

and I miss my old car...

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:08:07 »
Yea, gave my b5 passat to my brother and I picked up a 2013 sonata 2.0t :)

Goal for the sonata, 400whp. Currently sitting st 274bhp and 240whp. Cam get to 302whp with bolt ons so I don't think 400 is be too.crazy
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:11:06 »
Waiting to win the lottery so i can buy my dream car... $41,000

Also quite probably not fuel efficient
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:12:06 »
Show Image

I've always wanted a H1 but I don't think 4mpg will work for me -_-. lol

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:14:05 »
Show Image

I think the H1 would be even more efficient than this lol, It explains why the US only invades countries with large oil supplies >.> <.< *Gets snatched by navy seals*
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:15:56 »
Show Image

I think the H1 would be even more efficient than this lol, It explains why the US only invades countries with large oil supplies >.> <.< *Gets snatched by navy seals*

LMAO^^

This is what I want my sonata to look like, just not with the wheels. I got the same color too.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:16:39 »
I ride my moped everywhere when I can. Suzuki FA50, but the car that I drive mainly is a '96 Grand Am. Ugh.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:17:06 »
H1s are only cool if you can have a roof gunner ;o

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:18:48 »
and i have a Fiat 500 A-BART-Ey now. so tiny, so hilarious looking. sounds like a harley. a thoroughly amusing cheap car.

also i forgot that a bunch of new, almost universally stupid cars (AND the new camaro!!!) are being announced at the new york auto show right now

oh, the viper's back. YAWN.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:23:28 »
Yeah, I miss my old car too...

Don't miss the gas bills though.  You could practically see the gauge drop under acceleration...   :rolleyes:

Offline RatPatrol01

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:35:53 »
Don't miss the gas bills though.  You could practically see the gauge drop under acceleration...   :rolleyes:

Even my little e30 was pretty rough on gas, it was only an NA 1.8L and yet only got 21mpg at best while demanding premium fuel. I much prefer the 27-31mpg I can pull off with regular grade fuel in the Rabbit.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:45:41 »

Even my little e30 was pretty rough on gas, it was only an NA 1.8L and yet only got 21mpg at best while demanding premium fuel. I much prefer the 27-31mpg I can pull off with regular grade fuel in the Rabbit.

I had the M5 for almost two months before I managed to get better than 9.8mpg.  The absolute antithesis of a good commuter car.   :'(  Took it on a road trip once, from Dallas to Las Vegas, and averaged about 22mpg (and 85mph...).  Around town it would just drain the gas tank, though.   

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:48:15 »
Lewis (Hamilton) is the fastest racing driver currently living on the planet. Though I still consider Alonso the better all-round driver.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:48:53 »
My B5 passat is getting around 10mpg City but it's not stock and up the boost to 1.5bars T_T

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline RatPatrol01

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:52:51 »
I had the M5 for almost two months before I managed to get better than 9.8mpg.  The absolute antithesis of a good commuter car.   :'(  Took it on a road trip once, from Dallas to Las Vegas, and averaged about 22mpg (and 85mph...).  Around town it would just drain the gas tank, though.

Admit it though, every time you'd walk behind it and catch a glimpse of that big, pretty, multicolored M it'd be worth the gas, at least that's how I imagine owning an M car is  :D

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 10:17:47 »

Admit it though, every time you'd walk behind it and catch a glimpse of that big, pretty, multicolored M it'd be worth the gas, at least that's how I imagine owning an M car is  :D

The neatest thing about the car was the welcome lighting. Walking up to the car in a dark garage, press the remote to unlock, and all the lights would come on slowly.  Looked like it was ready for liftoff.  I'll have to see if I can find a video showing the effect.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:10:36 »

looks so nice

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:22:32 »
Here's my daily driver (same as in pic, but it says M57 on the front, instead of Q60):

Pretty sweet.  And I get to share the ride with so many fun people! :p

G*d save the MTA!  (somebody has to, it's run by morons now.)
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline iArson

The NEW GH Automotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:34:35 »
Here's my daily driver (same as in pic, but it says M57 on the front, instead of Q60):

Show Image

Sick wheels. I race with those things down Lexington Ave in my E-350. Stylin.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:49:15 »

Show Image

O_O Q60 is 2 blocks from my job ;P

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:05:34 »

worth it for the sound :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:14:04 »
Lewis (Hamilton) is the fastest racing driver currently living on the planet. Though I still consider Alonso the better all-round driver.
it's a bit of a stretch of a statement to say that any single-motorsport driver is the fastest guy in the world. there are too many skillsets needed in all the different forms of racing. just go and find a compilation of kimi's greatest wrc crashes. he's an open wheeler beast, but could not keep a wrc-level car on the damned road.

it's even hard to say that a guy like hamilton is the fastest open wheeler in the world, knowing that his competition is less competitive than eg senna's ever was. even in senna's time, his speed waxed and waned with the tracks and formulas.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:50:31 »
it's a bit of a stretch of a statement to say that any single-motorsport driver is the fastest guy in the world. there are too many skillsets needed in all the different forms of racing. just go and find a compilation of kimi's greatest wrc crashes. he's an open wheeler beast, but could not keep a wrc-level car on the damned road.

it's even hard to say that a guy like hamilton is the fastest open wheeler in the world, knowing that his competition is less competitive than eg senna's ever was. even in senna's time, his speed waxed and waned with the tracks and formulas.

Lewis's competition is less? F1 has more F1 champs than in any other era (I think), the level of competition is INSANE with some of the most successful drivers on the track.
And yeah its hard to compare, but in my own personal opinion F1 is the pinnacle of track racing and the WRC is the same for off-road/track racing.... so that's why I put Lewis down as the fastest driver in the world.

Though I'm not sure the point of bringing up Senna, the guy was the most talented driver to have ever lived, no one is going to be able to compare to him, but the current crop of F1 talent is insane. Alonso at the peak of his driving ability almost winning the title last year despite never having the quickest car, Vettel the stats and quali king, has the best car and probably the best quali set up. Lewis the best over-taker in F1 and one of the most natural drivers out there, should have been in contention for the title last year but his team let him (and Jensen) down. Kimmi, the coolest most relaxed driver ever back from his holidays with one of the best come-backs to F1 ever, and a pretty healthy start to this season and then there is Button the mixed conditions master who won one of the best motor-races in the last few years (in 2011 ?(?)) in Canada in the wet after Vettel made a mistake on the very last lap.

Yeah the tires stop the drivers from driving on the limit the entire time, but that dsn't lower the insane level of competition

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:05:47 »
Pic of my 88 caprice and b5 passat(cell phone pic -_-)

Brother saying he's going to lower it more

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:27:59 »
Yea, gave my b5 passat to my brother and I picked up a 2013 sonata 2.0t :)

Goal for the sonata, 400whp. Currently sitting st 274bhp and 240whp. Cam get to 302whp with bolt ons so I don't think 400 is be too.crazy

Lots of power for just front wheels...

Hopefully the new forte koup will get the turbo motor, too.

Show Image

looks so nice

Mmm

And mine -   Last I checked, it was about 400ish at the rears.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:28:59 »
96 Anniversary Edition Nissan 300ZX

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:32:10 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:32:02 »
AWWW YEEAAAAHHH

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:37:22 »

Show Image

Damn clean!...IS IT TT?

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:44:27 »

Show Image

Damn clean!...IS IT TT?

No it's not. It's actually the bf's car. I drive a 01 Toyota Corolla, but it's not worth posting :P The Nissan is so much nicer and I've driven it a few times, very nice ride.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:52:32 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:49:15 »
The bumper doesn't make me think it's a twin turbo, I don't see the intercooler vents

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:49:53 »
FOLKS

it's a whole new car and motorsports world out there.

TRUE FACTS:

1) boost and i have completely changed allegiances (he has an asian market car and i have a euro market car now OMGWTFBBQ?!?! and i have a TURBO!?!?!?!)

2) F1 is fun to watch again. no one knows how it happened, but it did

3) petter solberg is racing rallycross again AND TARGETING THE X-GAMES, and no one cares what happens in WRC now because the 1.6l cars all suck and all the manufacturers and most of the good drivers dropped out

4) solo2 stock class is getting a complete makeover for 2014 -- camber, wheel and full sway changes will be allowed, and insane cheater damper sets are going to be clamped down on (!!!). maybe something that's not an s2000 will get FTD at nationals?!?!? (AHAHAHAHAHAAH i'm joking i'm joking)

5) scca showroom stock/world challenge finally put together an interesting class: the b-spec formula lets you take 14k econobox, build it up for about 25k using 100% OEM Parts and keep your racing budget down to maybe 50k for the year. it's like spec miata but without all those goddamn blueprinted cheater miatas!

6) the new vette is a goddamn supercar for 40k

LET'S TALK ABOUT CARS!

#7? Nothing special about mine. Here is the other end:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:59:58 »
and then there is Button the mixed conditions master who won one of the best motor-races in the last few years (in 2011 ?(?)) in Canada in the wet after Vettel made a mistake on the very last lap.
ahaha sweet! i was about to mention this exact race (although i think it was 2010? 2009? or something..) as evidence that there just isn't one single "fastest guy in the world" ever. button took the junkiest car made to formula in the last 5 years and took a nasty wet race because he's a monster in the wet. i believe that was also his first race win _ever_ after like 6 years of starts or something.

anyway, i still just don't think any of these guys (save _possibly_ hamilton) hold a candle to senna's contemporaries. prost, mansell, villeneuve, piquet, even that damned schumacher.. the list goes on and on. drivers these days are coming up in much different conditions with far kinder cars than all of these guys did, and their i have trouble seeing their accomplishments in the same light. hamilton may be the fastest overall of the current crop of open wheelers, but open wheeler competition just isn't what it used to be; in particular, a team's supercomputing, materials and aero development resources are equally if not more important than their drivers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:01:27 »

#7? Nothing special about mine. Here is the other end:

Show Image

please recall that i drive a clown car with a 6 inch wheelbase :/

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:12:22 »
and then there is Button the mixed conditions master who won one of the best motor-races in the last few years (in 2011 ?(?)) in Canada in the wet after Vettel made a mistake on the very last lap.
ahaha sweet! i was about to mention this exact race (although i think it was 2010? 2009? or something..) as evidence that there just isn't one single "fastest guy in the world" ever. button took the junkiest car made to formula in the last 5 years and took a nasty wet race because he's a monster in the wet. i believe that was also his first race win _ever_ after like 6 years of starts or something.

anyway, i still just don't think any of these guys (save _possibly_ hamilton) hold a candle to senna's contemporaries. prost, mansell, villeneuve, piquet, even that damned schumacher.. the list goes on and on. drivers these days are coming up in much different conditions with far kinder cars than all of these guys did, and their i have trouble seeing their accomplishments in the same light. hamilton may be the fastest overall of the current crop of open wheelers, but open wheeler competition just isn't what it used to be; in particular, a team's supercomputing, materials and aero development resources are equally if not more important than their drivers.

Button was already a world champion and was racing for McLaren in that race, so it wasn't is first win lol

and while Mansel was great, he was destroyed at the end of each race and realistically I don't see him holding a candle to any modern F1 driver, Villeneuve and Piquet I'm not sure on and Schumacher is one of the greatest drivers in history...

comparing the current young drivers to these retired/dead veterans is kinda unfair, especially for the likes of Hamilton and Vettel..

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:14:41 »
i thought he won in 2011?

anyway his first win (and only win in his like first 10 years on the grid) was in the wet and came out of nowhere.

schumacher was good, but he only dominated for so many years because the rest of the grid was so terrible car-wise and driver-wise.

Offline llovro

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:15:57 »
Pic of my 88 caprice and b5 passat(cell phone pic -_-)

Show Image

Brother saying he's going to lower it more
Show Image

OH MY GOD
That caprice looks sooooooo awesome!
And here's my ride :D

This bike is sooo awesome. Sucha nice lowrider.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:23:57 »
i thought he won in 2011?

anyway his first win (and only win in his like first 10 years on the grid) was in the wet and came out of nowhere.

schumacher was good, but he only dominated for so many years because the rest of the grid was so terrible car-wise and driver-wise.

No Schumacher was an amazing driver who beat Senna, had an opportunity to be a great by moving to Ferrari and building a team and car around him and with people like Ross Braun made it happen.
It's what Lewis is hoping to do with Merc...

and Jensen won the title in 2009 the year after Lewis

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:31:26 »
great, now i feel super old :P

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:26:19 »
Dat Caprice door dent. And dat AP.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: The NEW GH Automotive Thread (incl. motorsports!)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:47:03 »

:( I know. The dent is not cool...if you notice all the door handles are shaved off :p

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:48:56 »
went to pick up this:

and this happened on the way back:

what luck.

now im looking to get either an 02 accord or 03 accord. 02 being my favorite accord ever.

btw, a motorcycle did that.

and the guy ran away on foot. superman crashed my car.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:52:45 »
Holy crap demik! You're back? Sorry to hear that!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:53:26 »

:( I know. The dent is not cool...if you notice all the door handles are shaved off :p
I didn't notice. That's pretty sweet. When I was in high school, my mom bought a Caprice just like that one. Almost the same color. She wanted to fix it up, but never did and then sold it. :/

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:07:36 »
commencing car dump  ;D

winter setup

summer

i need more summer pictures  ^-^
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:08:40 »
Holy crap demik! You're back? Sorry to hear that!

1) when i saw this post i was like "what? i didn't post that!" DAT AV

2) yah, demik got janked :(. didn't know a motorcycle did it though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:09:26 »
winter setup = blue BBSes? WIN

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:09:49 »
winter setup = blue BBSes? WIN

yes sir
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |