Author Topic: Battlefield 3 "Stutter"  (Read 5059 times)

Offline mAz

Battlefield 3 "Stutter"
« on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 14:19:13 »
Hey guys and gals!

I was playing BF3 earlier and I noticed that I was getting an odd form of "stuttering". It involved my character being moved back about 5-10 feet every 20-30 seconds.

I was really confused as I had not had this issue before on BF3 or any other game so I checked the "vitals" (Ping, INet connection etc etc). In the end I gave up and went onto the internet and found that I was not the only person to have experienced this problem and that there were many different solutions to it also. I carried out the "solutions" one by one but none of them are working so I was wondering if any of you guys had dealt with this before or not?

System Specs:

CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: Asus GTX580
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V
RAM: 8GB 1333
PSU: Antec 1200
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 05:40:01 by mAz »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Battlefield 3 "Stutter"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:22:39 »
Does not seem like your system should have a problem. One thing that can cause something that looks like "stutter" is a lack of RAM. I play BF3, and actually sometimes do go beyond 4GB. Not because of the game itself, but because I am sloppy, so my browser is open with a few tabs, and there are some other applications running that I use inbetween matches etc. I could eliminate the issue by being more careful about ram usage, but opted to go for 8GB instead. After the upgrade, any issue I had before disappeared.

edit: I see you added ram to the specs and you have 16GB, so that should not be an issue. I disagree that 1333 Mhz is too slow. The real world advantage to faster ram, like 1600 Mhz is really not all that big, and it definitely should not be the cause of the issues you describe here. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:57:36 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:24:22 »
I had the exact problem and I realised it was because my PC was FOLDING in the background even though I had turned this off, you may want to check your PC isn't doing anything CPU intensive in the background :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Tenkey

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:31:14 »
upgrade the ram, 1333 is pretty slow

Offline mAz

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 18:00:46 »
@Grim Fandango: I have never had this issue before on anything that I have run apart from BF3 this week. I obviously have Chrome in the background due to the awful battlelog idea but that is it as I have a very clean approach to what I have running at the same time (I hate getting popups or spikes or anything)

@Tym: I don't use my PC for folding yet (I am currently in the process of creating one though!!) but as mentioned, I always keep processes to a minimum when playing games (And in general really) so it really shouldn't be struggling.

@Tenkey: I partially agree with you (Mainly because I just want more and need to convince the boss with shoes so I can buy some) but I also disagree due to the fact that I was able to play the game fine recently and also I am able to carry out many other tasks too.

Offline pby

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 19:15:52 »
That is completely non-sense. Memory bandwidth isn't the limiting factor at all.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/10

Offline mAz

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:30:31 »
That is completely non-sense. Memory bandwidth isn't the limiting factor at all.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/10

I agree with you PBY (Nice to see you provided a link to backup your post too!) but I wasn't personally able to find a link at the time of my last post due to being in bed on the iPhone (Fiddly for my fat fingers) so I couldn't dispute what Tenkey was claiming.

I have noticed in my BIOS that my memory is set to run at "AUTO" speed so I am going to reboot and set it to run at "1333" and see if that fixes the issue at all. However, while I am logged on to the PC, I will give BF3 a try to see how it is reacting today.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:36:34 »
what gpu driver version?

Offline mAz

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:39:37 »
what gpu driver version?

I updated to the latest version (Beta I believe) yesterday and I was still having issues. I know that a while back when the game was first released, there were a lot of issues with drivers for GPU's (Including mine) but that was in the Beta/Release stages and it did get fixed by installing a beta update for my card so I tried that but still had problems.

*Edit* Added version number
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:41:20 by mAz »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:44:53 »
I have 2xGTX 580's in SLI and have not had a single issue since the official release.

do you  need to physically clean your cpu/gpu fans/heatsinks? might be heat related. compressed air time?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:45:45 »
GTX580m or GTX 580? isn't GTX580m a mobile gpu for a laptop?

Offline mAz

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:48:20 »
GTX580m or GTX 580? isn't GTX580m a mobile gpu for a laptop?

Thanks for pointing that out! I was talking to a friend on Skype while I was typing my original message (We were talking about the Matrix version which is actually also a desktop card) I will edit that now!

Mine is a standard GTX580.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:53:27 »
I would download coretemp and see what the temps are at when your in game....

edit: I basically have the same system as you except I have a second gtx580 and my system is all watercooled.
you should not have stuttering unless your getting lag spikes/cpu usage from another app/heat issues.

Special_Ed1961 "Setting the BF3 process priority in task manager to "High" seems to help my stuttering issues a lot."
from http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624890716004/

I change the process priority for csgo to high everytime I open it. it does help.. here is a tool to check out http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 04:58:35 by domoaligato »

Offline mAz

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:10:59 »
I would download coretemp and see what the temps are at when your in game....

edit: I basically have the same system as you except I have a second gtx580 and my system is all watercooled.
you should not have stuttering unless your getting lag spikes/cpu usage from another app/heat issues.

Special_Ed1961 "Setting the BF3 process priority in task manager to "High" seems to help my stuttering issues a lot."
from http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624890716004/

I change the process priority for csgo to high everytime I open it. it does help.. here is a tool to check out http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php

Coretemp and ASUSGPUTweak Results:

CPU@ 36
GPU@ 48

I haven't tried that method yet but I might have managed to fix the issue... I will feel a little bit red faced about it if it fixes the problem.

Recently (By recently, I mean last week... When my problem started...) I went to a LAN and while there I used my wireless adaptor. When I got home I plugged my ENet cable back in but forgot to take out the wireless adaptor (The problem with having a micro-receiver and 13 USB ports!) I removed the adaptor and tried out BF3 again and I got no stutter at all!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:15:04 »
Is that under load or not ? As 48 seems a little hot for not under load and a little cold if it is under load.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline mAz

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:18:56 »
Is that under load or not ? As 48 seems a little hot for not under load and a little cold if it is under load.

That is playing BF3 on High (Dropped it down from ultra the other day just in case it was caused by overheating) with all fans on full of course and also the CPU is water cooled. The room the PC is in is also reasonably cool as I don't have the radiator on and I always have the window on the latch.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:22:26 »
I see this stuttering when someone else is doing something network intensive on the same router/modem, i.e. watching streaming video or doing a big download. Anyone sharing your bandwidth?

Offline mAz

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:49:53 »
I see this stuttering when someone else is doing something network intensive on the same router/modem, i.e. watching streaming video or doing a big download. Anyone sharing your bandwidth?

I am sharing bandwidth with the rest of the household when they are wanting to browse the web etc. but I am the main user and I am the only one who plays games, watches livestreams or any other really network intensive actions. Occasionally my GF uses youtube for baking videos but that is very rare and my connection is more than capable of carrying out those 2 tasks in unison! I also authorise any downloads on the network as I am the main contributor to the cost of the connection so I always know when someone is DL something large even though it is something that rarely happens.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:38:41 »
Z68-V ?? is this the PRO... or the Deluxe

Hm......

You need to overclock... and tweak your motherboard BIOS..

I can help you do all of that...

But I need bios screenshots of all Pertinent CPU and Memory information..

Offline mAz

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 10:54:57 »

Hm......

I have the pro version. Why do I need to OC? That sounds like the idea of someone who isn't too sure of what the problem is... Anyway, I know how to carry out tasks like that and I am also very sure that it won't fix the issue.

The problem has been resolved, it turns out that (From what I can gather) my PC was trying to use the wireless adaptor as well as the ENet adaptor and it seems that it was conflicting. I worked this out from simply trying it with and without either and both and I can basically make it stutter on demand now.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:07:13 »

I am sharing bandwidth with the rest of the household when they are wanting to browse the web etc. but I am the main user and I am the only one who plays games, watches livestreams or any other really network intensive actions. Occasionally my GF uses youtube for baking videos but that is very rare and my connection is more than capable of carrying out those 2 tasks in unison! I also authorise any downloads on the network as I am the main contributor to the cost of the connection so I always know when someone is DL something large even though it is something that rarely happens.

set a QOS of your router.  make sure your mac address top priority of packets.  That way if anyone is actually streaming something, it will give you 100% of the bandwidth you need first and then the remaining to the rest of the mac addresses.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline mAz

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:12:31 »
set a QOS of your router.  make sure your mac address top priority of packets.  That way if anyone is actually streaming something, it will give you 100% of the bandwidth you need first and then the remaining to the rest of the mac addresses.

Yeah a friend of mine suggested doing that but the amount of time other people spend doing intensive things on the internet here is so minimal that it wouldn't really matter. Also this issue was happening when I was the only person using the internet and at all different times. As I posted, I did find out the solution and I have been playing the game for about 2-3 hours since and I have had no issues apart from the times I was testing out my theory of the adapters.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:18:20 »

Yeah a friend of mine suggested doing that but the amount of time other people spend doing intensive things on the internet here is so minimal that it wouldn't really matter. Also this issue was happening when I was the only person using the internet and at all different times. As I posted, I did find out the solution and I have been playing the game for about 2-3 hours since and I have had no issues apart from the times I was testing out my theory of the adapters.

cool glad you got it fixed.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline mAz

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:20:02 »

cool glad you got it fixed.

Thanks man :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:30:02 »

Hm......

I have the pro version. Why do I need to OC? That sounds like the idea of someone who isn't too sure of what the problem is... Anyway, I know how to carry out tasks like that and I am also very sure that it won't fix the issue.

The problem has been resolved, it turns out that (From what I can gather) my PC was trying to use the wireless adaptor as well as the ENet adaptor and it seems that it was conflicting. I worked this out from simply trying it with and without either and both and I can basically make it stutter on demand now.

:D, so you're one of the guys that buys a k-processor + an OC board and doesn't OC.. LOLOLOLOL

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Re: Battlefield 3 "Stutter"
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 23:59:04 »

Hm......

:D, so you're one of the guys that buys a k-processor + an OC board and doesn't OC.. LOLOLOLOL
gotta agree here....no reason to buy an unlocked CPU if you aren't ocing. Also bf3 is pretty CPU intensive, so higher clock =better performance

Offline mAz

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 05:35:31 »
Well actually I didn't buy the PC, I won it at a LAN and also I will be overclocking it once I have finished with my current build. I didn't state that I wouldn't be overclocking, I said that it would not fix the issue. "LOLOLOL"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:08:12 »
Well actually I didn't buy the PC, I won it at a LAN and also I will be overclocking it once I have finished with my current build. I didn't state that I wouldn't be overclocking, I said that it would not fix the issue. "LOLOLOL"

I find that hard to believe.. it's specs are borderline silly... did you win it "like that".. or did you win some of the pieces

Offline mAz

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 16:23:38 »
I find that hard to believe.. it's specs are borderline silly... did you win it "like that".. or did you win some of the pieces

The only part that was purchased by me (Well the GF did actually) was the HDD. I won the PC at a LAN here in the UK round about August last year. I don't know how it is hard to believe, a company would not give a bad PC as a prize, that would just show that they are not too bothered about their customer base... Plus it also sounds like you are a bit jealous, but that's ok, I understand because I won it while beating a "Pro" TF2 player to 3 points in a 1v1 situation and I don't even have 100hours on that game!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:55:04 »

The only part that was purchased by me (Well the GF did actually) was the HDD. I won the PC at a LAN here in the UK round about August last year. I don't know how it is hard to believe, a company would not give a bad PC as a prize, that would just show that they are not too bothered about their customer base... Plus it also sounds like you are a bit jealous, but that's ok, I understand because I won it while beating a "Pro" TF2 player to 3 points in a 1v1 situation and I don't even have 100hours on that game!

grats! I bought mine lol. I have

i7 2600k oc'd @ 4.7ghz
16gb Corsair vengeance ram
2x EVGA GTX 580's in SLI
240gb SSD
corsair ax1200 1200 watt PSU

cooling:
ek full cover water blocks for cpu and both gpu's
1x360mm radiator(GPU H2O loop) and 1x240mm radiator (CPU H2O loop)
2x swifttech water pumps
1x ek dual res dual pump housing mounted in the 5 1/4 bay.

Offline mAz

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 03:45:42 »
@Domoaligato - That is a nice rig you have there mate! I was tempted to pick up another 580 so I can run it SLi but I have this problem with things looking the same and I couldn't find another one like mine that was brand new without paying over the top prices. I have decided to wait and probably pick up something like a 7970 or 7990 so I can run an Eyefinity setup instead but we will see what the future holds... I love the colour of your coolant, anything bright is awesome (I am sort of like a magpie when it comes to shiny things!) The only thing that bugs me about your rig is the hoses aren't "straight", I really can't deal with things not being perfectly straight or not at right angles, but that is just me :D

+1 to having an awesome rig bro!

*I am locking this topic now as the problem was solved and I don't want it to get into a debate over things that aren't related to the topic.*