Author Topic: My mother is severely arthritic and has parkinsons...want a keyboard for her  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Moleboy

She loves to type long, funny and witty emails, and she's struggling to do that with a current generic keyboard. Obviously a keyboard can't cure her of her ailments, but i was wondering if there was a keyboard that would make it easier for her to send her messages, or communicate with the world?  The rubber dome she has now is pretty stressful, and she tires pretty quickly when typing on it.  Should I just go cherry reds? Or is there another board that might be easier for her? What do y'all think?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
what kind of budget are we looking at? can your mother adapt to a split ergo keyboard?

there are a lot of awesome ergo mech boards our there. they are expensive though.  answering the two questions i just posted will help us find what your mom needs.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Moleboy

Up to $100...and I'd say adapting would be too difficult for her at this point. :-/

Offline ping111

I'd honestly suggest getting her a dictation program that can not only do text, but use her computer as well.  I remember when I used one on my old computer when I was little, and having so much fun getting it to open the Internet, go to YouTube, and play a video without touching anything.  Fun for the young, helpful for the old, amirite?
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
+1 for dictation
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
I'd honestly suggest getting her a dictation program that can not only do text, but use her computer as well.  I remember when I used one on my old computer when I was little, and having so much fun getting it to open the Internet, go to YouTube, and play a video without touching anything.  Fun for the young, helpful for the old, amirite?

This, you can get the software free (everything on the internet is free¸™ and a decent table mic for 50-100$, they are pretty decent now-a-days, a classmate of mine did an entire 1000 word essay using a mic etc.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Moleboy

Well, this is where the Parkinson's takes effect :-/ She has little-to-no voice anymore, and talking above a whisper is a fight for her. She's improving with speech therapy...but not to the point she can just talk things out. I love the idea though, this is just one specific instance that it won't work in  :-[

Diseases suck :(

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Ah, ****...Did not think that through. My apologies.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline ValerieV

What about the MX Red keyboards? They are light to the touch.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
What about the MX Red keyboards? They are light to the touch.

Bottoming out hurts, depending on the condition

Offline Moleboy

I appreciate you trying to help ^__^

And if bottoming out hurts...would the next best thing be blues then? I'm unfamiliar with Topre/other types of switches...is there another kind that works better?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio

And if bottoming out hurts...would the next best thing be blues then? I'm unfamiliar with Topre/other types of switches...is there another kind that works better?

Get reds and 2mm 40A o-rings from WASD
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Moleboy

Get reds and 2mm 40A o-rings from WASD

Would that be the .2mm ones? The 40-A L?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Typing fatigue has FAR MORE to do with technique than it does the keyboard...

Since she shouldn't be wasting time left to "relearn" typing....

Dictation is the way to go..

Offline Moleboy

Well, this is where the Parkinson's takes effect :-/ She has little-to-no voice anymore, and talking above a whisper is a fight for her. She's improving with speech therapy...but not to the point she can just talk things out. I love the idea though, this is just one specific instance that it won't work in 

Diseases suck

----

A new keyboard may not be perfect, but I'm just trying to make her life a little bit easier. :X

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
hmmm....

well... the absolute lightest keyboard over the counter is mx red... but I'm not sure linear would be so pleasing to the un-initiated.. since she's probably just looking for a standard tactile experience..

Blues are honestly not much lighter than rubber domes.

If you do get the blue or red, you should absolutely get the 0.4mm Blue 40A rings from WASD. they make mx switches much more pleasant and less "harsh"

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
o-rings will help a lot. I use them and like them.

as far as switches go i think your best bet is reds.

oh and she will need some dope caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
the softest experience may actually be "uber-cheap" rubber domes.. some of those $5 boards have EXTREMELY thin domes..

And considering your mother is female and does not farm or lift weights.. I'd say it'd be quite difficult for her to wear out rubber domes like the rest of us.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
How bad are the tremors?  Maybe something with a keyguard could help.  A keyguard is a piece of metal or plastic with holes cut out above the keys - the idea is to reduce the number of keying errors if the user can't control their hands 100%.

Her typing speed will go down, but the increased accuracy might make up for it.

If you think it might help, you'll probably find it easier to buy a keyboard and guard as a set, than to find one to fit her current keyboard.

[edit - sorry should have asked about the Parkinsons before wading in]

Also, you might want to consider text expansion software.  It's like autotext in word - but works anywhere - including browsers and email programs.  So if she types msvt; - that could be a trigger for "my son visited me today".  For best results, she needs to create the triggers herself, and just a few of them each day.

Try to encourage her to take a break halfway through an email.

Keep in touch, I hope we can suggest something that can help her.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2013, 13:17:13 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
You might want to look at keytronic's ergoforce range of keyboards.  Some of the keys are lighter than others.

Offline nullstring

I am going to recommend blues if choosing from mech keyboards.

Offline Moleboy

How bad are the tremors?  Maybe something with a keyguard could help.  A keyguard is a piece of metal or plastic with holes cut out above the keys - the idea is to reduce the number of keying errors if the user can't control their hands 100%.

Show Image

Show Image

Her typing speed will go down, but the increased accuracy might make up for it.

If you think it might help, you'll probably find it easier to buy a keyboard and guard as a set, than to find one to fit her current keyboard.

[edit - sorry should have asked about the Parkinsons before wading in]

Also, you might want to consider text expansion software.  It's like autotext in word - but works anywhere - including browsers and email programs.  So if she types msvt; - that could be a trigger for "my son visited me today".  For best results, she needs to create the triggers herself, and just a few of them each day.

Try to encourage her to take a break halfway through an email.

Keep in touch, I hope we can suggest something that can help her.

She got this DBS brainsurgery which has killed the tremors, but also killed her voice, so the tremors aren't a worry. I do like the sound of the word expansion thing though. ^__^ And should I think about switching out the keycaps on a keyboard I get?

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Probably not in all honesty. 

Offline Macsmasher

If cost isn't an issue, I would definitely recommend a Realforce with variable weighted keys. I have good typing form, but my knuckles ached at the end of the day on any of my Cherry boards. Topre key switches have a soft landing, and the variable weighted keys means the pinky fingers have a lighter actuation force than the stronger fingers.

If cost is an issue, you could try a light Cherry switch with O rings or landing pads. If she wants a tactile switch, Cherry browns would be a good choice. For a linear switch, Cherry reds. Just keep in mind that adding these will change the feel of the switch because of the reduced key travel.

In any case, you should be looking for a light switch, meaning the grams required to depress the key. Look for 30g - 45g switches. Reds and browns are 45g, and as far as I know, there isn't a lighter option in Cherry.

For specs on key switches, read....

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
You might want to look at speech amplifiers too.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
If you're going with cherry, try getting a PCB mounted one and then lubing the switches.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
check this out:

http://www.maltron.com/keyboard-info/maltron-expanded-keyboard.html

they say they make it for people with cerebral palsy but this could be useful for your mother's needs. stumbled upon this on the ebay and thought of this thread.

Offline crthell

• crthell

Did you read the whole thread?
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Moleboy, have you come to any decisions yet?

Offline Moleboy

Well, I just got my blues keyboard back. I'm gonna throw it on her computer for a bit, and see what she thinks about it, then work from there.