Author Topic: Cherry MX Blue vs Brown  (Read 49038 times)

Offline Phaseshift

Cherry MX Blue vs Brown
« on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:42:13 »
I've been trying to decide which Ducky Shine II 9087 to get, but this will be my first mechanical keyboard. I do a lot of typing, maybe 30-40% gaming and 60-70% typing. I would like to get your opinions on which switch I should get.

Offline llovro

Re: Cherry MX Blue vs Brown
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:45:13 »
Blues for typing and browns for mixture between typing and gaming. It all comes to personal preference tho.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:47:14 »
I hate browns and write a blog/reviews and play SC2 on blues. Like llovo said, it's all personal preference.

Offline jksteger

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:52:11 »
it's all personal taste and another thing you may notice happen is that as you try out different switches your preference will change over time.  I'm in love with the Alps White currently.  I love typing on my Apple Extended Keyboard II right now.  I ordered a Matias Quite Pro for PC because the switches are supposed to be updated version of the Alps switch that is in this old AEKii that I'm using now.

I used to love the Blues, then the Browns, then back to Blues, then to MX Blacks, then back to Browns, LOL  It's like shoes.  I have different pairs and switch all around.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:53:31 »
You'll also find that the same switch feels different on different keyboards. The blues on my Leopold feel different from the ones on my Filco. And they're both stock.

Offline Phaseshift

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:05:45 »
I've been trying to find a video that compares both Ducky 9087 Blues and Browns but can't seem to find them. I wish there was somewhere here in San Francisco where I can go to try out some mechanical keyboards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:07:22 »
There's a ton of members in the Bay Area. I think they're going to organize another meet soon as well. Keep an eye out. I also heard Fry's is good? But idk if those are near you.

Offline Phaseshift

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:10:49 »
There's a ton of members in the Bay Area. I think they're going to organize another meet soon as well. Keep an eye out. I also heard Fry's is good? But idk if those are near you.

Fry's is about an hour away, maybe I can go check out their keyboard selection. The prob have the Razer Blackwidow which has Blue switches, any other keyboards from fry's have Brown switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:14:37 »
I am absolutely the wrong person to ask about Fry's inventory and I'm at work so I can't surf their site to help you out. Hopefully someone else can pop in to help you.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 12:10:27 »
I go through phases.  Lately, I've preferred blue switches over browns or just about everything else.  But it also depends on if the sound will be a problem for you.  I find the audible click a bit more satisfying.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 12:43:42 »
awedible click is fine if you're just using it normally.

it' gets BAD, if you're going for a typing speed run....

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:09:15 »
This needs to get shut down QUICK

To see the differences between the switches go here,

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

It's doubtful your performance on a keyboard will matter more than your preference for click/non-click, tactile/non-tactile, or heavy/light switches.  Please be advised- you WILL want to try them all before saying one is better than another.

I like all kinds, and I don't see a performance hit when switching except for the first few minutes when I am adjusting.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Phaseshift

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:25:04 »
I think I'll have to go with the brown, since my gf is complaining about my typing in the morning :(

Offline noons

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:16:18 »
Good choice! :D The problem is for the most part it is all personal taste. Although cherry mx blue is far superior to rubber domes personally for me since I am a light typer they were my least favorite switch, which is ironic since most people say blue is the ultimate switch for typing. Brown is a good middle ground esspecially for those around you  :p . Either way if you don't like it you can always sell it later and trade it in for a cherry mx blue.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline DrakeMegrim

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:25:14 »
I think I'll have to go with the brown, since my gf is complaining about my typing in the morning :(

You can always use dampers/o-rings! Maybe even a new gf. :P

Offline Hour

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:38:08 »
I would suggest the blue switch, then the brown. Blues are always good to start on. A Razer Blackwidow is a great starter keyboard, but Duckys are very nice.

Offline dmreeves

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:19:08 »
I prefer the reds for this reason! They are click free except when the keycap bottoms out, which can be remedied by O-Rings. Plus I preferred the linear motion to tactile feedback. If I were going to buy a clicky switch it would definitely be browns over blues as it almost feels like an inbetween reds and blacks with silent little bump.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Cherry MX Blue vs Brown
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 18:19:28 »
Never let a girlfriend get between you and a good switch.

Offline DrakeMegrim

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 19:02:36 »
Never let a girlfriend get between you and a good switch.

So true. I'm glad my lady didn't make me choose. ;)

Offline Phaseshift

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:30:47 »
lol okay maybe I'll still get the blue and use dampers/o-rings

Offline Phaseshift

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:42:33 »
So got my Cherry MX Blue

I love it, however it's so loud! I love the sound of it but my gf doesn't specially when I'm in the morning. So I was looking at WASD for their O-rings, and not quite sure which ones to get.

40A-L (0.2mm Reduction) Red

40A-R (0.4mm Reduction) Blue

50A-R (0.4mm Reduction) Black

which one would you guys recommend? I want to keep the feel of the keyboard while making it quieter.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:53:11 »
So got my Cherry MX Blue

Show Image

I love it, however it's so loud! I love the sound of it but my gf doesn't specially when I'm in the morning. So I was looking at WASD for their O-rings, and not quite sure which ones to get.

40A-L (0.2mm Reduction) Red

40A-R (0.4mm Reduction) Blue

50A-R (0.4mm Reduction) Black

which one would you guys recommend? I want to keep the feel of the keyboard while making it quieter.

here is an excellent write up on o-rings etc...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40227.msg796585#msg796585

I personally have not tried any yet but plan on trying to get the 40A-L.

Also some keycaps don't work well with o-rings but reading through the thread above should help.

And you can get a sample set from here
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:55:51 by ray4jc »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 14:38:34 »
All down to personal preference. I like browns better for both typing and gaming. I like how light they are, and I like that they have some of the tactility of the blues, just more subtle. It is never enough to get annoying (even when gaming) but enough to still be satisfying.

But others may feel differently. Blacks for example are plenty popular, but I really dislike them. They hurt my hands after extended use.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 00:57:59 »
I've gotten into a habit of spamming a button 3x when I'm gaming.  For example if I'm reloading i'll spam my 'R' 3x
or if I jump, I spam spacebar 3x in a short burst.  when I decide on a keyboard (thinking Ducky Shine 3) going with blues for the certainty. The tactile feel and the added sound are great confirmation a button was pressed all the way down.  I may still spam it 3x...
but no question blues all the way
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:09:18 by WatchMaker »

Offline baller1308

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:14:27 »
if you don't like the clicky sound then browns are the way to go.  You can watch some videos on youtube with people typing on blues and browns.  I prefer browns myself.  I don't know where you live, but if you live in the US near a Microcenter or Fry's you can test it the keyboards to see what you like, take it home and try them for a test run.  Fry's has them on display while Microcenter doesn't really want you to open the keyboards, but people still do :P.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:16:03 by baller1308 »
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:16:23 »
I just made one of those videos. Blue vs Brown vs Clear. Need to upload it :)
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:22:23 »
hahahaha, o-rings won't change how loud blues are.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:36:43 »
I wouldn't say that. It changes the sound a little, but only at bottom-out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:02:07 »

O'RLY?

I can barely hear the click because of the clack without  dampeners.

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:30:29 »
Deff blues, but where are u deciding to get this keyboard from? because im looking for the same exact one.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 02:14:43 »

Depends on the person typing. If you do not bottom out, it will make virtually no difference. However, if you bottom out and have "heavy hands" so to speak, o-rings can make quite a bit of difference. Even though they can obviously not deal with the sound the switch makes.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline DubbTom

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 04:01:33 »
The Fry's in concord has a moderate assortment of keyboards. I know they have blues browns and reds there. And they have display models completely open so you aren't limited to the cutout around the arrow keys to play with
poker II

Offline Jack

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 06:38:07 »
Fry's is about an hour away, maybe I can go check out their keyboard selection. The prob have the Razer Blackwidow which has Blue switches, any other keyboards from fry's have Brown switches?

I went to Fry's recently and they had blues, browns, blacks, and reds. I had a fun little game of pressing keys and guessing what there was before I popped a cap.

It was mildly annoying that everything there was a "gaming keyboard", including the ones with blues, tenkeyless, etc.

Just be careful. They had a CM Quickfire TK and I had to fight it back onto the shelf. Can't spend that right now. :(

Offline baller1308

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:46:59 »

I went to Fry's recently and they had blues, browns, blacks, and reds. I had a fun little game of pressing keys and guessing what there was before I popped a cap.

It was mildly annoying that everything there was a "gaming keyboard", including the ones with blues, tenkeyless, etc.

Just be careful. They had a CM Quickfire TK and I had to fight it back onto the shelf. Can't spend that right now. :(
Yeah, Fry's doesn't have filcos, leopolds, etc.  But at least you can test the keyboards and the switches which can give you a general idea of what you like before you drop the money to get a better brand.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]