Author Topic: new WASD V2 keyboards  (Read 9375 times)

Offline pc098

new WASD V2 keyboards
« on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:18:30 »
So according to an email I received back after asking questions on the wasdkeyboards.com website, their new WASD V2 keyboards will be available in June. Do you guys think it's worth the wait? There don't seem to be many differences in terms of customization and The only added feature, as I understand, is the DIP switches on the board. Should I just buy a V1?

Offline jabar

Re: new WASD V2 keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:27:04 »
Or you could buy a keyboard from the myriad of other manufacturers with stocks available today.

WASD is best if you are interested in custom lasered ABS keycaps. Otherwise, Cooler Master has more reasonably priced Costar OEM keyboards. As for V2, I am curious how the price point will increase. There aren't that many options to justify increasing further up when Chinese/Taiwanese boards are much more readily available today.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline pc098

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:34:10 »
i heard that only the cm storm quickfire rapid is made by costar, while coolermaster's other keyboards are made by a different OEM, and I'd like to have the full 104-key set when I make my purchase

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:39:25 »
As for V2, I am curious how the price point will increase. There aren't that many options to justify increasing further up when Chinese/Taiwanese boards are much more readily available today.

None of those competitors have Micro USB, Dvorak/Colemak layout support, low profile typing height, option to buy board without keycaps, etc...

Are your hands bleeding?  It's not like it would kill you to wait another 45 days.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:11:13 »
As for V2, I am curious how the price point will increase. There aren't that many options to justify increasing further up when Chinese/Taiwanese boards are much more readily available today.

None of those competitors have Micro USB, Dvorak/Colemak layout support, low profile typing height, option to buy board without keycaps, etc...

Are your hands bleeding?  It's not like it would kill you to wait another 45 days.

what if his hands were actually bleeding... i don't see how a different keyboard would fix that.

Offline jabar

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:15:44 »
The only advantage is the Dvorak/Colemek hard programmed DIP settings which is nice but still very niche. Micro USB is very common for boards in the $130-150 price range. I imagine the low profile refers to something similar to Cherry profiles which is not common at all on new boards today.

Boards without keycaps is nice but the price has to be very good. Otherwise, paying for lasered ABS when PBT options from Asia have since flooded the US markets is silly (unless custom lasering is absolutely needed).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:23:31 »
Sorry, Micro USB is not common at all for any mechanical keyboards.  Maybe you are thinking Mini-USB?

Low profile means the switches are installed as low as possible.

Offline babyhands

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:58:44 »
This is too funny. I just emailed them the same question. I was thinking about posting something similar, and when i started reading your post i legitimately thought i was reading my own post without realizing it :P. And the reason I am waiting is because I want to see what their TKL board is going to look like, and then I will decide on what to purchase

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:02:57 »
Basically the only reason you would buy a WASD v2 versus WASD v1, or any other keyboard for that matter, is the phantom style plate that allows you to get at the internals of your cherry switches without de-soldering, and still being plate mounted.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:05:03 »
Basically the only reason you would buy a WASD v2 versus WASD v1, or any other keyboard for that matter, is the phantom style plate that allows you to get at the internals of your cherry switches without de-soldering, and still being plate mounted.

This is a very niche feature... pretty much ONLY for ergo clears...

I don't think that many people bother to do a spring/ switch swap [extremely time consuming] for any of the other DIY combos

WASD shouldn't really bother with releasing the v2, unless it is on par with GH60 or Poker or Phantom..

Let's say it's "good quality", "has a phantom style plate"  it's still missing full programma-bility... 

That smalls stones throw from the titans, and now they're STILL STUCK competing with FILCO, which has the BIGGER name, and CM which has the CHEAPER keyboard.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:05:48 »

Looks? Ability to get it barebones and not have to deal with random keys? All of the above in a Tenkeyless form factor? Supporting a smaller manufacturer?
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:14:58 »

I don't think that many people bother to do a spring/ switch swap [extremely time consuming] for any of the other DIY combos

WASD shouldn't really bother with releasing the v2, unless it is on par with GH60 or Poker or Phantom..

Let's say it's "good quality", "has a phantom style plate"  it's still missing full programma-bility... 

That smalls stones throw from the titans, and now they're STILL STUCK competing with FILCO, which has the BIGGER name, and CM which has the CHEAPER keyboard.
First of all, I didnt even say its good quality, because its not out yet. But theres a number of people where accessing the switch internals could be good for them, even if its niche.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:28:33 »

First of all, I didnt even say its good quality, because its not out yet. But theres a number of people where accessing the switch internals could be good for them, even if its niche.

Well I'd assume it's good quality since they seem to care about that unlike Razer. :D

but my point stands.

If they release a TKL

it competes with Filco and Quickfire R.

Filco has the "luxury" branding established

Quickfire R has the "ghetto-substitute" established

And everyone who's looking at TKL already most likely has a QFR or Filco...

So.. you throw ANOTHER tkl keyboard to compete in a saturated market with two already established Giants...

bad placement.. especially since this new TKL has no distinguishing FEATURES besides the plate...  which I mentioned is only coveted for Ergo clears...  thus anyone into Ergo clears, PROBABLY would go Phantom.. because if they're gonna go through all that trouble...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:35:11 »
Name another keyboard that uses a better USB connection than the new WASD coming out. Wait, don't answer that. CLACK! Wait, er, yes, continue. Please tell me a better keyboard with a better USB connection.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:36:09 »

...except microUSB (what other keyboard has that?) and Dvorak/Colemak support (what other non-ergonomic keyboard has that?). Apart from that, it looks good, I expect at least decent quality, and availability of barebones is also kind of unique.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:37:18 »

Lube.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 13:38:08 »
Name another keyboard that uses a better USB connection than the new WASD coming out. Wait, don't answer that. CLACK! Wait, er, yes, continue. Please tell me a better keyboard with a better USB connection.

I'm not sure usb connection is gonna be the "standout"

was it the stealth that has the standard usb or the full size.. well one of those... and they're both "better connections" so yea.. V2 will be late on all aspects.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 14:51:31 »
Russ

Offline dante

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:57:16 »

How can you say that having phantom abilities are niche while at the same time saying it doesn't have programmability which is also just as niche?

You bring up the GH60/Phantom like you are going to be able to buy them at any time 3mo/6mo/years from now?  How many buyers are going to know about these boards?

As for Filco: Well the fact that they aren't doing much to get their full range up on Amazon in a timely matter says everything about how much your dollars mean to them.  EK was right to drop them like a bad habit.  Guaranteed within 5 years the Filco name will mean nothing.  Ducky and CM Storm are steam rolling them into obscurity.

CM Storm is great; but despite the improvements they've made recently some people just want custom keycaps on their board - or not having to pay for keycaps that don't want to begin with.  And oh yeah, well lubed stabs on day one.

Call me crazy but I'd rather support someone with a voice than someone who doesn't give a fart.

Offline jabar

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 19:39:15 »
WASD should have released V2 a year ago, now they're still playing catchup and no PBT options yet.

Phantom 7bit

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:42:19 »

I cast a Brainwash spell on Mr. WASD to force him to include the EasyMod plate so that ppl can then easily lube their keyboards. 

I am still working on brainwashing WASD into offering the lube service as a standard option. ;D   But if he does not then that is ok as WhiteFireDragon does a great job for a low price.

Lubed cherry-switch keyboards are very noticeably quieter on the upstroke than the non-lubed versions.  I have both sitting here to compare.   Ppl who care about smoothness or sound and who are willing to pay extra $$$ for it (as I did/do) are highly interested in this feature.

I have no idea if there is something special and magical about the way the WhiteFireDragon Magic Keyboard Lube Shop lubed my keyboard or if everyone who lubes their switches gets the same result I got.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:15:55 »
I was almost about to buy the Corsair RapidFire, because I like the Cherry MX blue board that I've been using (Razer Blackwidow), but I don't like the Blackwidow itself.

I got the Blackwidow for free from Dell and I was given my IBM Model M, so I've never bought a mechanical keyboard. I think the WASD keyboards sound nice, and I like that the 2nd generation has had enough input to correct whatever flaws that they've had in the 1st generation.

What really grabs me is that it has no macro keys and is tenkeyless. I think I am finally tiring on typing all the time on tenkey boards - I really do think the mouse should be closer to me than its been in the past.

I'm also reading that the WASD boards are made in the USA (I'm a proud American), and that the backing is metal plate, which sounds good. The blackwidow feels cheap and wobbly compared to my IBM Model M.

I can wait for however long they want, though it doesn't sound like it'll be that long.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 13:02:37 »
I was almost about to buy the Corsair RapidFire,

Believe you meant to say CoolerMaster :p

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:05:33 »
The WASD V2 does NOT include the plate that will allow to swap switch internals. This was stated on their blog and in the vendor forum numerous times.