Author Topic: Awesome Red switch boards?!  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Hour

Awesome Red switch boards?!
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 00:54:20 »
Hi everyone, I recently bought a non inscripted, brown switch ducky of my own.  :)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42921.msg872320#msg872320
I am looking at a new keyboard to buy during the summer, that has red switches, as my friend and I will be playing a little more fps. I love ducky, tenkeyless boards, And purple backlighting.  :-*
I found this while searching, I was curious to anyones thoughts on this board if they have it/what they have heard about it:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=182
Also, are there any other red tenkeyless boards you would suggest? Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 11:56:11 by Hour »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Awesome red switch questions!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 00:57:29 »
The thing to watch is that a lot of purple LEDs actually look pink.

Ducky is fairly notorious for that.

Other manufacturers YMMV.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 00:57:32 »
How far do you want to fall down the rabbit hole..

It's actually cheaper in the long run to Fall ALL THE WAY, instead of incrementing..

instead of buying 5-6 different keyboards,  just start with a kmac.. or an ergodox, or a phantom.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 00:59:38 »

You mean it looks "Orchid"

Offline Hour

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 01:03:20 »

Yeah, my friend bought a purple and he was fairly surprised how pink it looked. :eek:
Thanks for the heads up!  ;)

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 09:10:09 »
I have a Ducky Shine II and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's solidly built and has a lot of nice features. I would definitely recommend it.

Offline Hour

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 11:55:17 »
I have a Ducky Shine II and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's solidly built and has a lot of nice features. I would definitely recommend it.
Nice. What switches\size\backlighting? :D

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:44:38 »

It's the full-size version (DK9008), with MX Clear switches and white backlighting.

Offline Hour

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:42:42 »

It's the full-size version (DK9008), with MX Clear switches and white backlighting.
Nice, I was looking at that too for a clear board!

Offline cix

Re: Re: Awesome red switch questions!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:50:12 »
How far do you want to fall down the rabbit hole..

It's actually cheaper in the long run to Fall ALL THE WAY, instead of incrementing..

instead of buying 5-6 different keyboards,  just start with a kmac.. or an ergodox, or a phantom.

This is so true, I've dropped more money than I would have liked, should have just went all out from the get go.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:03:03 »

Nice, I was looking at that too for a clear board!

A word of warning: Clear switches are one of those thing that people either love or hate. I love them, but it definitely took me some time to get used to them.

Offline nexes1337

Re: Awesome Red switch boards?!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:23:42 »
maby try a filco majestouch 2 with red switches , its awesome quality and you can easily get a filco mj 2 with reds :)

enjoying mine quite alot for like a month now :) , gonna try brown switches pretty soon though (reds are awesome anyhow)

and most important: THEY MAKE NO SOUND

Offline Hour

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 21:33:52 »
maby try a filco majestouch 2 with red switches , its awesome quality and you can easily get a filco mj 2 with reds :)

enjoying mine quite alot for like a month now :) , gonna try brown switches pretty soon though (reds are awesome anyhow)

OMFG That is so nice.  Awesome keycaps too, thanks for the suggestion!!!!

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:22:04 »
I have CM Storm Quick Fire TK with Reds and Red backlit at work and it's really nice. I can recommend it.
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline mauri

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:05:26 »

No sound? I find my reds really damn loud.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 18:01:10 »
Try to not bottom out (try to type lighter) and they should be very silent.

Offline Hour

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 18:16:03 »
I have CM Storm Quick Fire TK with Reds and Red backlit at work and it's really nice. I can recommend it.
Thanks man.   :)

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 22:34:45 »

Me, too.

Offline Hour

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 22:46:24 »

Me, too.
Nice, how do the switches sound?

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 22:51:37 »
They're technically silent, but they will make a clacking sound when they bottom out, and when they pop back up. If you keep your finger on the key and slowly press up and down, you'll hear that the switch makes no sound. They feel really nice this way, but it's difficult to keep from bottoming out because they're so soft.

In practice, I usually bottom out, so they are noisy. When I bottom out, it's as if I smacked my finger into the backboard. The shock goes right back up my fingers. Still, I type on it all day everyday and it isn't that bad.

Offline Hour

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:27:12 »
They're technically silent, but they will make a clacking sound when they bottom out, and when they pop back up. If you keep your finger on the key and slowly press up and down, you'll hear that the switch makes no sound. They feel really nice this way, but it's difficult to keep from bottoming out because they're so soft.

In practice, I usually bottom out, so they are noisy. When I bottom out, it's as if I smacked my finger into the backboard. The shock goes right back up my fingers. Still, I type on it all day everyday and it isn't that bad.
Thanks man. What games do you play with it?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:34:38 »

For all non-clicky switches, the only sound comes from bottoming out (plastic hitting metal = sound). If you want to lower it, add some O-rings to you keycaps. Works great and can even improve the typing feel.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 09:19:27 »
One more comment tho. This should not be a problem to most people, but I'll post this as a warning. So I have it connected to my laptop which has pre-boot authentication, so before an OS is loaded. When I try to type in the password, one key hit equals about 3-5 hits of the same letter. If I do it really quick, maybe 1-2. So it makes it a pain to type in the password. I use the laptop keyboard for that.

Oh and the CM QF TK goes nicely with the Logitech G330 headset :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 09:23:58 by Spokoman »

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 09:21:35 »

Thanks man. What games do you play with it?

Just WoW.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:36:54 »
I have a Filco Majestouch 2 with Reds and it isn't bad for a board with Reds.  Feels super solid.

Although it does make some noise when you bottom out.  I put some o-rings on there and it did soften the landing and reduce the noise.  But I am of the philosophy that if a switch needs o-rings I don't want the board anyways.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Hour

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 01:20:03 »
Thanks man, as of right now  I'm deciding between Filco and this the Ducky.  :D

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 01:57:16 »
I am wondering a bit though. Why specifically do you want reds for FPS? I do not think it will make that big of a difference. The tactility of the browns is not really enough to bother anyone using the WASD cluster, and the actuation force is similar. I feel that there is really little practical gain to be had. But that is just me. For FPS, it makes more sense to invest in a mouse without acceleration, prediction, good lift off distance, and all that, and just play it with any keyboard you find comfortable to use.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:09:50 »
I am wondering a bit though. Why specifically do you want reds for FPS? I do not think it will make that big of a difference. The tactility of the browns is not really enough to bother anyone using the WASD cluster, and the actuation force is similar. I feel that there is really little practical gain to be had. But that is just me. For FPS, it makes more sense to invest in a mouse without acceleration, prediction, good lift off distance, and all that, and just play it with any keyboard you find comfortable to use.
100% agree.

Offline islisis

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:00:11 »
They're technically silent, but they will make a clacking sound when they bottom out, and when they pop back up.

the fact that they pop up at faster speed is one of my misgivings about reds vs browns. obviously not as bad as bottoming out, but you can feel the up-shock in your fingers plus it is basically impossible to avoid, not nice

The tactility of the browns is not really enough to bother anyone using the WASD cluster, and the actuation force is similar.

i think gaming relies on preference, but i wouldn't say the actuation force is similar unless measuring to the bottom. i read more than half of the force in browns come from the bent contact, and whatever the manufacturer numbers this is what i observe when you aren't bottoming out. i wish cherry would release a new light tactile switch option

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:40:25 by islisis »

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:27:07 »
I just made the switch from Reds to Browns (Ducky Shine OCN edition w/ browns -> QFR w/ reds) and adding o-rings was really what sealed it for me. I love the reds with o-rings, and I find when I play DotA2 that I get more reliable input registry. The one drawback is that I've found I'm more liable to accidentally activate abilities while hovering over the keys than I used to be. YMMV.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline Hour

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 19:36:59 »
I used to have a red switch board for fps and it just felt better to play fps on them then on browns for some reason  :-\

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 11:05:34 »
Its funny, before I came to this post I ordered that keyboard from mechanicalkeyboards.. It arrives tuesday Ill let you know my thoughts on it.

Offline Hour

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:20:09 »
Oh sweet, yea man let me know, I may be getting it soon  :cool:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 01:40:34 »
Ducky YotD has got dat boomboom. Lubed up and o-ringed it's like fingering God.

Offline Hour

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:17:36 »
Ducky YotD has got dat boomboom. Lubed up and o-ringed it's like fingering God.
LOL