Author Topic: Awesome homemade keyboard w ultra low actuation force  (Read 1744 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Awesome homemade keyboard w ultra low actuation force
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 07:43:45 »
This guy is absolutely awesome (or else, plain insane)

http://mykeyboard.co.uk/surgery/

http://mykeyboard.co.uk/microswitches/

He built his keyboards from scratch and modded to an extent that would make the modders on this forum look like babies. (And me, not even a fetus).

Forget about Cherry Reds and 45g of force! He goes for 10!! And he claims he gets more precise feedback from his ultra precise microswitches (whatever the heck that is).

Guys, me being an ignorant pre-baby, I don't even understand what he is blabbing about. But look at his website and gasp in awe! (Or sneer at this madman!)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Awesome homemade keyboard w ultra low actuation force
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 08:11:41 »
From what I understand, that's basically a keyboard comprised of mouse switches :P
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 08:31:00 »
I bought a Cherry MY board from somebody on this forum - I can't remember who, it has been a while - and he had done something that brought the force down to the 15 range.

I tried using it for a while, and while there was something nice about it, ultimately I gave up on it. It was relatively cheap and I had bought it to harvest the keycaps anyway, so all was OK.

The mouse switch idea is intriguing, as long as there was tactility you could probably get away with a very low force.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:12:00 »
oh man. great ideas but damn that dude needs a workshop or a maid or to at least stop gunning smokes nonstop while using his homemade boards. 

for me if i put that much work into something i dont think i would ruin it with ciggarettes, but then again if i built it i can do whatever the **** i want to do with it whenever i want.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:30:07 »
gh folks are keycap crazy... this guy has the weirdest keycaps

This person is probably on GH... which one of you is it.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:57:29 »
He needs a friggin haircut and a shave!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 13:10:47 »
He needs a friggin haircut and a shave!

wat

I bought a Cherry MY board from somebody on this forum - I can't remember who, it has been a while - and he had done something that brought the force down to the 15 range.

I tried using it for a while, and while there was something nice about it, ultimately I gave up on it. It was relatively cheap and I had bought it to harvest the keycaps anyway, so all was OK.

A bit stiffer, wasn't it? But still extremely light.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:18:10 »
The MY switch contains a leaf spring and a coiled spring. The mod was opening up the switch and removing the coiled spring.
🍉