Author Topic: [Help] Finding an old school or new school beige mechanical keyboard  (Read 5625 times)

Offline ACallander

• Portfolio
Okay so I'm going a little crazy with my case mod. I'm taking inspiration from Corsairs 900D April 1st joke of the beige 900D.

900D Beige Joke

I'm looking for a keyboard that will match this beige color, hopefully mechanical. I'm also on the search for an old school CRT. Not only am I serious about this build but I'm taking it to QuakeCon 2013 this year.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Re: [Help] Finding an old school or new school beige mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:12:26 »
A model M, a dell AT101, ar any of the older alps based boards will match the scheme.  Keep in mind that you probably don't want to play Quake on them because they are mostly 2KRO.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:38:21 »
Cherry G80-1000HA*. I have a G80-1000HAD/14, and it would probably fit perfectly: huge, solid case in beige, black-on-white doubleshots, 4KRO.

If you want to go beast mode, consider an F-122 or some other battleship.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:54:21 »
Dell AT101W FTMFW

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 23:57:58 »
I honestly quite like beige... It gives me that retro- nostalgia- Good times  feeling... :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:18:45 »
I like the look of that case, shame it is a joke.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:33:44 »
I like the look of that case, shame it is a joke.

Gold Beige or Pearl basically, is actually a very "Regal" look.... But it's costly..

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 01:45:02 »
If you've got the cash and skills, I still have a Philips Brilliance 201P - the original version that can do 2048x2048 @ 60Hz, not the downgraded one. It needs cleaned up, tube rejuve wouldn't hurt, and the control board needs minor repair. (The power switch itself is broken so it won't turn on. Yes, the actual switch itself.) I used to use three of them because they outclassed Iiyama's absolute top of the line.

Only catch? It's &*@#ING HUGE - it is a 21" diagonal that weighs 84lbs.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 02:06:00 »
You might look into an Apple Extended Keyboard(M0115), as they're extremely similar in appearance to the keyboard in that image, and they're also 6KRO.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 02:11:58 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 02:08:11 »
Sick computer case

You should try to snag a IBM SSK. It will match it perfectly
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 02:43:35 by phetto »

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 06:08:31 »
My vote for either a Filco or Leopold in beige. If you really want to go vintage, I wouldn't settle for less than a G80-1000 or Northgate Omnikey ULTRA.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 06:10:12 »
I will also vote for the Dell AT101W if you're into Alps. A great keyboard ^__^

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 06:23:11 »
Wow this is cool to see beige come back :) I love this case! You can pair it with old school CRT or if you want flat panel get Eizo - they still make beige monitors.
As for keyboard, you can't get anything more old school than Unicomp :)
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 07:21:36 »
The photo shows a totally bland, all-beige keyboard, but if you want to be authentic old-school, it needs to have the traditional beige/gray color scheme (aka "pearl" and "pebble" in Unicomp lingo).

There is really no logical choice except an IBM Model M/F, but the Dell AT101 would look right at home. I disagree with the Apple boards, they are nice, but Apples are distinctly more yellowish or brownish than true IBM beige. Weight and size could not be an issue, since the rest of the gear is monstrous as well.

Thrift stores are probably your best bet for components from the previous millennium, and cheap also, but you will get much better stuff on ebay, if you are willing to pay the freight.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 09:57:12 »
I disagree with the Apple boards, they are nice, but Apples are distinctly more yellowish or brownish than true IBM beige.

This might be true for an Apple Extended Keyboard that's aged badly, but it's not necessarily true for all AEK's. For example, comparing my M0115 with two of my Model M's, the color of the Apple is only a slight shade darker. It's neither yellow nor brownish.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:22:51 »
I disagree with the Apple boards, they are nice, but Apples are distinctly more yellowish or brownish than true IBM beige.

This might be true for an Apple Extended Keyboard that's aged badly, but it's not necessarily true for all AEK's. For example, comparing my M0115 with two of my Model M's, the color of the Apple is only a slight shade darker. It's neither yellow nor brownish.

I suppose that I was referring to the "temperature" of the colors - I have always felt that the IBM color was "cooler" and the Apple color "warmer" but maybe that is just my eyes.

Also, the yellowing thing, it is much harder to find a good-looking AEK.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015