Author Topic: Introducing New Das Keyboard Professional Quiet Keyboard (Cherry MX Reds)  (Read 12687 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Heh. I thought the "S" was for "silent." Now we have "Quiet?" Just say you wanted to use MX Reds because they are popular! ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Is it Costar? If not, $#@! you, Das.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
>softer, more tactile and “whisper quiet” typing experience

wat?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
How innovative.

Offline kernelpanic

'Cherry MX Red key switches combined with a new quiet key design [...] thereby providing a softer, more tactile and “whisper quiet” typing experience.'

I thought thats what them Blues were made for  :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?

Regarding the strikethrough: I don't know about all of that.

However, there is one of two things happening here. One: it may be made by Costar again, based on the layout. Two (and the most likely): they used an old picture, and this will be made by their current manufacturer.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!

However, there is one of two things happening here. One: it may be made by Costar again, based on the layout. Two (and the most likely): they used an old picture, and this will be made by their current manufacturer.

They pulled the same crap with their zero-quality crapboard. If you check the photos on the boxes and pre-release they used nothing but renders and old photos. Absolutely no photos of the actual keyboard were used.
Same deal here. It's the new crap-tastic OEM cranking out garbage and Das is trying to bait-and-switch using false images.

So yeah. You'd pretty much have to be an idiot to buy Das at this point.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
So who is gonna buy one so we can see that they really look like?

And do a review of course.

And the $149 price tag...is that just because it is a 'Das'?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

lol

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
It seems like they are not using the word "tactile" like we do around here.  Probably they are referring to the overall better feel of Cherry switches vs. cheap dome keyboards.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 14:08:17 by hashbaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
It seems like they are not using the word "tactile" like we do around here.  Probably they are referring to the overall better feel of Cherry switches vs. cheap dome keyboards.

Show Image

They also called browns, soft clicky....is that even a thing?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Here's their marketing team after they wrote this text!

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
wtf... just wtf
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!

I wouldn't buy one even if I got a total tax write off on it. (Which I could claim legally.)

And yes - the pricetag is entirely because it's a "Das." Coming soon: Das "Value" the $99 "silent mechanical" keyboard - which is of course, rubber domes.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline ValerieV

I really thought DAS would get smart and make a compact keyboard. They have got to be the laziest keyboard company ever! I love the cherry mx red but i am not going to buy a keyboard that you have to use two plugs for the USB connector to work and has it located in a stupid location to begin with. Their quality sucks almost as bad as their marketing team does. They really need to get their heads out of their asses over  there.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I wouldn't buy one even if I got a total tax write off on it. (Which I could claim legally.)

And yes - the pricetag is entirely because it's a "Das." Coming soon: Das "Value" the $99 "silent mechanical" keyboard - which is of course, rubber domes.

You mean Topre?   ;D

Or we could go back to vintage Das with their original keyboards that were rubber dome.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!

You mean Topre?   ;D

Or we could go back to vintage Das with their original keyboards that were rubber dome.

Topre? Ha. Costs too many box tops.

Think more like the worst mushboard you've ever typed on. Or worse still - foam and foil.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire

Uh I'm pretty sure they just used old pic, the final product will most likely look like rest of their current line up.

As for the price tag, Das used to bump up MX Brown $10 more expensive than MX Blue because it's "Silent".  So I guess "Quiet" cost money too now apparently.

Also to be honest, MX Red is FAR AWAY from whisper quiet.  Unless they pre-install o-ring in them but I doubt it.

Moral of the story:  Their marketing team is just......... *shakes head*

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hour

This is making me think about my next board, damnit.  :D

Offline jabar

Reds are loud because everyone bottoms out on them, unless they come with landing pads and/or o-rings preinstalled.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards

Show Image

They also called browns, soft clicky....is that even a thing?
Yep, it's what whites are classified as, but not browns.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Reds are loud because everyone bottoms out on them, unless they come with landing pads and/or o-rings preinstalled.

Please, reconsider your ignorant use of quantifiers.

Offline EXARKUN007

I bottom out my new Shine II with reds and still feel like I'm barely touching it.  I hit space all the time accidentally just resting my thumbs on it while gaming.  Might need to try a black or something.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Quote from: DasKeyboard
The newest member of our Das Keyboard family sports Cherry MX Red key switches combined with a new quiet key design.

Looks like they might have done some dampening work to the reds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
I think they're overexaggerating the fact that Reds are just naturally quieter, being linear.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
Is it costar?

sure looks like it from the bottom row

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Is it costar?

sure looks like it from the bottom row

They pulled the same crap with their zero-quality crapboard. If you check the photos on the boxes and pre-release they used nothing but renders and old photos. Absolutely no photos of the actual keyboard were used.
Same deal here. It's the new crap-tastic OEM cranking out garbage and Das is trying to bait-and-switch using false images.

Offline ValerieV

It's sad that DAS has decided to cheapen its product. The DAS is what got me interested in mechanical keyboards in the beginning. They used to be such a great product.  :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
^^^ Same here. My first new mech board was a DK (I had had Dell AT101Ws before but didn't really give the mechanical aspect much thought).

Offline Hyde

It's sad that DAS has decided to cheapen its product. The DAS is what got me interested in mechanical keyboards in the beginning. They used to be such a great product.  :(

I agree, I still have it till this day and use it from time to time.  I'll keep this Costar Das forever lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
I believe they are using o-rings on it because it says softer... That is probably what they mean by tactile and whisper quiet as-well. Either that or their marketing team doesn't know much at all about the business.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
I believe they are using o-rings on it because it says softer... That is probably what they mean by tactile and whisper quiet as-well. Either that or their marketing team doesn't know much at all about the business.

We've been over this.

Their marketing team doesn't know a damn thing other than how to convince idiots that Cherry MX Blues == Buckling Spring. There are no O-rings - those cost money and cut into profits. There is nothing at all different about it from the other zero-quality Mk3 "do it cheap not right" boards.

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
Das should really make something new.. I mean not a new switch kind of new, but a whole new model. The only thing special about the das is that its glossy (which is actually considered a bad thing) and it has USB hubs.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline ValerieV

Das should really make something new.. I mean not a new switch kind of new, but a whole new model. The only thing special about the das is that its glossy (which is actually considered a bad thing) and it has USB hubs.

You are absolutely right. I have said this a million times. They are so lazy it's disgusting. I will never buy another DAS unless they do something really nice like a tenkeyless bluetooth keyboard.

Offline Hyde

You are absolutely right. I have said this a million times. They are so lazy it's disgusting. I will never buy another DAS unless they do something really nice like a tenkeyless bluetooth keyboard.

Back then I was hoping they'll release a blue backlit keyboard.  Since their num lock/caps lock/scroll lock indicator are already in a nice blue light and it will go well along with it.

But at this point I'd probably not get it even if it comes out.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Bologne marketing. MX red switches, and it's very doubtful they'll spend the time to manually install 104 O-rings on every cap.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Same as the WASD v2, they just shouldn't bother.... releasing products that have nearly identical variations already in retail..