Author Topic: Just picked up a CM QuickFire Pro (Coolmaster)  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Ninjerk

Just picked up a CM QuickFire Pro (Coolmaster)
« on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 13:54:48 »
So, I just picked up a Coolmaster Quickfire Pro for $100 at my local Microcenter store. It has a $20 mail in rebate, but I'm not sure I want to keep this thing just yet.

Brown switches. Just wanted to try Browns out.

As I'm typing on this, I find that the keyboard feels much better to me than my old Razer Blackwidow. Keystrokes feel much more solid, but maybe it's the way the browns feel vs the blues. So far, I like this board. I did notice some initial problems when typing them - the keyboard wasn't keeping up with me. It's not that I'm a fast typer, but the "O" button didn't engage a few times. I may need to return this thing later.

Anyways, why still a big jump from the Razer Blackwidow to me, I can at least say that I do feel that Cherry MX Browns appeal to me. I love my Model M for it's loud and clicky feel, so I thought that I'd love the Blues, but I don't. Not on the Razer anyways. They feel weaker and are clunkier. Browns on the CM feel more solid, and while slightly quieter, they're not that quiet, because I keep bottoming out with them. Would I add an O-Ring? I'm not sure.

For $80 after rebate, this isn't a bad board, but I may return it and get the WASD V2 when it comes out. I think I'm really tired of boards with tenkeys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Just picked up a CM QuickFire Pro (Coolmaster)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 13:58:45 »
If you're tired of the TenKey but like your QuickFire Pro, why not get a QuickFire Rapid? Although I've heard they're a little hard to find with MX Browns lately.

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:04:42 »
Can't find that one in Brown. Looks like Microcenter has them in MX Blues for $70.

I'll have to think about it. I may just end up waiting for the WASD V2s. I don't know yet. Hopefully, they have the metal plate backing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:06:02 »
I've heard quite a few people say that the quickfire rapid is better as far as quality and feel compared to the quickfire pro if your wanting a tkl board. (captian ninja'd because i'm so slow at posting)

Personally I never used a pro or a rapid but rather I tried the qf trigger and the qf tk.

Really the best thing to do is try the boards out, according to captain  microcenter will sometimes let you try them in the store...so that might be an option.

And just an FYI newegg.com often has the qf pro on sale for ~$60 after rebate/promo code.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck figuring out what you like! :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:12:17 »
brown is weak.. you're going to wish for Clear, after you get brown..

So, we aught to just cut straight to clears :D

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:17:59 »

WASD V2 will be available with back lighting with MX Clears. I really wish I could try all this stuff out before buying. I feel like an ass just buying and returning.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:21:15 »
If you go to Microcenter and just ask the sales people if you can try the boards out, they'll probably let you. I've done this like 4-5 different times now. They're always cool about it. And no, I've never bought any boards from MicroCenter.

Edit: ray4jc is right about my experience :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:22:39 »

as much as I hate to admit it, at least for me this has held true so far....I'm loving my clears

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 15:24:04 »
I have been itching to try Mx Browns, I've been a blue guy for a while but most of the people I know swear by browns.  Just an excuse to buy another keyboard!  :cool:
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:13:45 »
I like the brown switches. I'm not such a fan of the  CM QuickFire Pro though. So I just went to MicroCenter again and picked up a QuickFire Rapid: much better keyboard for my needs.

Clicky blues, but that's OK. The board itself is compact, but much better designed in my opinion. The lettering on the PRO is too dim, and only a few of those keys light up, so I don't know why they made the rest of them with lightable keycaps, that was just retarded of them.

I think I may return the Pro and keep this Rapid, unless I can find a QF Rapid in Browns, but that'd be on Amazon I guess.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:26:15 »
I like the brown switches. I'm not such a fan of the  CM QuickFire Pro though. So I just went to MicroCenter again and picked up a QuickFire Rapid: much better keyboard for my needs.

Clicky blues, but that's OK. The board itself is compact, but much better designed in my opinion. The lettering on the PRO is too dim, and only a few of those keys light up, so I don't know why they made the rest of them with lightable keycaps, that was just retarded of them.

I think I may return the Pro and keep this Rapid, unless I can find a QF Rapid in Browns, but that'd be on Amazon I guess.
I think there's a bit of a waiting time on Amazon for that brown switches in that model.  The rapid was my first TKL mechanical keyboard, it's probably one of the best bang for your buck boards available out there.  Have you checked out the new line of keyboards that CM released? The Quickfire Stealth is a great looking model too and I think is available in Brown Switches from the CM Store.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Riddixk51PB

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 18:35:02 »
i just recently picked up a cm storm quick fire pro mx brown switches from newegg for the $65 deal after rebate.  got here after an ibm kb-0225, ibm pc kbd, ibm xt kbd, learned to type on an ibm selectrick typewriter.  the media keys don't work for me, but that's not too big an issue as i can adjust vol quickly with my steelseries 7H tether.  would be nice to have lights across the full kbd, but i can do without.  will just give me an excuse to get another keyboard sometime.

ibm had the keyboard layout with ten-key design included.  wouldn't change it.  if you're really cruising while entering numbers, the numbers on the top of the kbd stretch your fingers too much, fanning them out.  ten-key for fast accounting/tax type work.  never had a problem carrying a kbd with 10-key pad.  too much weight was never a factor in my kbd.
KBD: CM Storm QuickFire Pro, Cherry MX Brown
Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD (Avago ADNS-9800 High-Performance LaserStream™)