Author Topic: Already planning for my second keyboard XD!  (Read 1731 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
Already planning for my second keyboard XD!
« on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:49:10 »
As I am waiting for this damn check from books to come in so I can put the money in my bank, then paypal, and then buying the keyboard from val (thanks for being oh so damn patient lol)...I am already looking into getting a second keyboard.

Of course I won't be buying the keyboard till I play around with Cherry MX Red switches, but you can never have too many keyboards (plus resale on all these keyboards is so easy)...

So I was thinking of either getting a:

Ducky DK9087G2 Pro

or

KBC Poker II

The first is getting it with reds, the second is getting it with browns.

I guess it all comes down to whether I wanna stick with reds or try something new. I also found some KBC PBT blank keys that would definitely work for KBC Poker II (I think?) and DK9087G2 Pro (I think?)

Both are tenkeyless...the Leopold FC660M is already 66% which I am getting in reds...and the Ducky is just tenkeyless...
The poker is like 60%(?). I don't know if I should just go with the KBC Poker II even though its less keys (still a little wary not having arrow keys...I only use it when I edit code [hobby not as a job], and when I scroll down on pages and stuff like that [but a mouse should suffice]).

Any thoughts on the KBC Poker II?

Sorry I post so much with questions and stuff like that...no one in my circle of friends understands my obsession with keyboards (the only other person who might be into it is my cousin...but he only wants a backlit keyboard which I've grown out of...tkl is sexier XD).
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Already planning for my second keyboard XD!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:07:11 »
Typically, when people say tenkeyless (TKL), it's actually 17 keys less than the full 104 keys lol. It's not actually 10 keys less, it's only missing the number pad, but still has the function row and middle-right column of keys.

Having said that, poker II is 43 keys less, only including the main alpha-numerical keys. It's consider "60%" because the size is roughly 60% of the full 104 keyboard.

Between poker II and Ducky DK9087G2 Pro, but basically comes down to personal preference of the size and form factor. Poker II is noticeably smaller, and is also programmable. I could list all features of it, but you can just read about the detailed improvements here instead:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44118.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:19:49 »
If you stick with reds now, it is only later that you will have the urge to try a different switch.  If you get a different switch now, you might or might not like it, but at least you will satisfy your curiosity.

I got two boards with blues, then got curious about blacks, and got a board with blacks.

Then I got curious about reds - guess what happened.

Now I am curious about Topre.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:40:48 »
Between Poker and Ducky, I'd say depends on if you need arrow key or not.  also if you need dedicated insert, delete, home, end.......etc.

Ducky would feel closer to traditional layout and Poker would feel more different.  Though based from past track record it sounds like Ducky has better reliability, however with the introduction of Poker II I wonder if KBC has upped their game.

But for Red and Brown, I think it's a good choice.  Though I started with Brown first then tried Red.  However I find I like both switches a lot so I think it's definitely a good choice to start out with those 2.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:01:30 »
Typically, when people say tenkeyless (TKL), it's actually 17 keys less than the full 104 keys lol. It's not actually 10 keys less, it's only missing the number pad, but still has the function row and middle-right column of keys.

Having said that, poker II is 43 keys less, only including the main alpha-numerical keys. It's consider "60%" because the size is roughly 60% of the full 104 keyboard.

Between poker II and Ducky DK9087G2 Pro, but basically comes down to personal preference of the size and form factor. Poker II is noticeably smaller, and is also programmable. I could list all features of it, but you can just read about the detailed improvements here instead:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44118.0

I was looking for a review! thanks!
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 12:09:14 »
If you are serious about the hobby, I would recommend making the first half-dozen purchases be all types of switches as different from each other as possible.

You can't make an informed decision until you have properly surveyed the field.

On the other hand, if you really like reds, then just get a high-quality board in the layout you like, and save the rest of your money.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:35:04 »
If you are serious about the hobby, I would recommend making the first half-dozen purchases be all types of switches as different from each other as possible.

You can't make an informed decision until you have properly surveyed the field.

On the other hand, if you really like reds, then just get a high-quality board in the layout you like, and save the rest of your money.

Basically what I am doing. If I really really love the reds and know that I might die without them, then I am prolly going to resell the board and get a Poker II with reds...but if I'm not too sure then I will get the browns...either way... I win XD

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:21:34 »
dude, Ergodox :D

Haha I wish!

Guys...I'm still really upset that the fc660m that I am getting is pretty much uncustomizable :(

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 15:35:06 »
One last time posting on this thread. Anyone have a picture of a Poker II with all black blank keycaps or all white blank keycaps?