Author Topic: Loose Space Bar  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Classic

Loose Space Bar
« on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:12:01 »
I just installed new keycaps and the space bar is really loose.  I double checked it and it is fastened by the metal connectors and cherry switch.  Does anyone have any tips on how to tighten it up?  Thank you very much for your assistance!

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
Re: Loose Space Bar
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:05:27 »
I'm pretty sure this is just an issue with costar stabs, but you may have only just noticed it. All of my keyboards were like this out of the box, and its why I'm going to try cherry ones next.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:09:21 »
I'm having the same problem...I read that some silicone grease might help, but I have not had a chance to pick some up.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:11:40 »
I'm having the same problem...I read that some silicone grease might help, but I have not had a chance to pick some up.
I have silicone grease, it doesn't help looseness it just makes it feel really smooth, and gets rid of squeaks.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:13:18 »
So my problem is that the stems fit tight but the spacebar still has some rattle.  Sounds like your issue....

Hope someone has some suggestions....perhaps a new stabilizer bar?

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:14:09 »
I've somewhat solved it in the past by applying a blow dryer to the space bar because it was not even.  Also lube helped but you need the thick stuff because otherwise it will come back in time.

Don't feel bad.  Even $250+ Realforce have this problem.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:36:23 »
How loose are we talking,, and in what axis is it loose..   make a video and take lots of pictures so we can properly diagnose..  >:D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:03:04 »
That's almost always caused by an uneven space bar.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 14:09:20 »
I got fed up with my issue and came up with a creative solution.

I remembered how lose keys can be fixed with a piece of scotch tape over the stem.  Since I concluded the stems were tight, but the play was coming between the stabilizer and the stabilizer inserts, I placed a later of tape in the stabilizer insert. 

Boom - Problem solved.

Offline shifted

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 15:05:02 »
I suppose cherry stabilizers would have less of an issue in this area.  That loose space bar almost seems like a side effect of the costar stabilizers sort of by design.