Author Topic: PBT Key caps stuck on my HPE 104  (Read 3465 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
PBT Key caps stuck on my HPE 104
« on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:01:20 »
I bought this set of PBT key caps from moose recently, I believe they're round 1 pbt caps.

Does anyone else get stuck keys? I'm using an HPE 104 (costar stabilizers I believe) and I just got round 1 PBT set from moose and I have a problem where the keys with stabilizers get stuck if I depress them too hard. Example showing the depressed key and the stabilizer: http://imgur.com/a/7ERLo
Is this normal? Did I put them on wrong?

Thanks!

Offline PointyFox

Re: PBT Key caps stuck on my HPE 104
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:04:42 »
Make sure the edge of the keycap isn't hitting the side of the keyboard when you press it down.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:13:17 »
Make sure the edge of the keycap isn't hitting the side of the keyboard when you press it down.

Its definitely not touching the side of the keyboard. Here's a picture of it depressed, stuck and not touching the side: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh8pgtimxtkns2w/2013-06-10%2021.08.36.jpg

Offline jabar

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:20:00 »
your stabs are on backwards, flip them 180 degrees.

the inserts, that is
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:24:30 by jabar »
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:38:04 »

the inserts, that is

that's probably it..

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:22:54 »

the inserts, that is

If you meant the black things, then that did not fix it. It became worse than it was before. It was just stuck even un-depressed.

Offline jabar

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:25:05 »
Well I flipped my costar stab inserts on one of my other boards and it did latch the key down. Keep playing with it and make sure both inserts are in the same correct direction. I would also recommend removing neighboring keys to see if they are contributing to this issue.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:34:32 »
Well I flipped my costar stab inserts on one of my other boards and it did latch the key down. Keep playing with it and make sure both inserts are in the same correct direction. I would also recommend removing neighboring keys to see if they are contributing to this issue.

I've played around with it a lot. When you press on one of the keys with costar stabilizers, does it feel kind of different than the one without stabilizers? For me it feels a lot more shallow than the regular switches. I think I just might have to live with it unless someone else has had this problem and solved it.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:57:33 »
place the cap with the inserts in on a flat table, and see if there's any tilt going on any axis.

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 06:08:24 »
Please have a look at this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43303.0

Courtesy of tp4tissue.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:00:30 »
It may be just my eyes, but it doesn't look like the right plate insert is fully open.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:16:07 »
Wire might be rubbing on the inside of the thick PBT, which has less room inside than a thin ABS key.  Cherry stabilizers don't have this issue, as they interface directly into the key and keep the wire more out of the way.  You can see if the wire rubbing is causing the binding, figure out which side is causing it, and then correspondingly shave away a bit of the inside of the key so that the stabilizer has more clearance.  I've seen this done before, not sure if it was on vintage or repro keys, but to solve the exact problem you have been describing with Cherry thickness and Costar stabs.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:30:56 »
place the cap with the inserts in on a flat table, and see if there's any tilt going on any axis.

I wasn't able to tell if there was a tilt.

Wire might be rubbing on the inside of the thick PBT, which has less room inside than a thin ABS key.  Cherry stabilizers don't have this issue, as they interface directly into the key and keep the wire more out of the way.  You can see if the wire rubbing is causing the binding, figure out which side is causing it, and then correspondingly shave away a bit of the inside of the key so that the stabilizer has more clearance.  I've seen this done before, not sure if it was on vintage or repro keys, but to solve the exact problem you have been describing with Cherry thickness and Costar stabs.

I think you are correct. i took off the metal part and they don't get stuck when depressed anymore. It feels nice and clicky just like the rest of my keys now.

Question though, what is the function of the metal parts? If I didn't use them, what would happen? Because I'm using it without the metal parts and it doesn't seem that different. It seems better actually. I guess this will be my temporary fix until I find something to grind the keys (any suggestions)?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 22:42:28 »
If you were to press one of the large keys on the ends it would be very difficult without a stabilizer.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone