Author Topic: Electric Toothbrush EXPERTS help  (Read 6733 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Electric Toothbrush EXPERTS help
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:09:59 »
So..... My last attempt at this was when I was younger, and I modded this old electric brush with a slot car motor, only to have it melt the housing...

But I think I'm ready to just buy one...   there seems to be mainly generic replacement tips on ebay for oral-b...

they have so many different brushes,, which one is good, or are they all the same... with random superlative monikers??

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Electric Toothbrush EXPERTS help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:12:00 »
sonicare
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:15:56 »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:18:08 »
Aye, another for Sonicare. My mother, sister and I (mine broke...) used the Sonicare ones that look like this.

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:30:55 »
Wait you're telling me I don't have to move as much while brushing my teeth?  ;D

Seriously though, I don't want to beat a horse that's already dead but my dad is a dentist and he uses Sonicare :-). Not sure why he does but just wanted to add a vote of confidence!
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:34:12 »
Wait you're telling me I don't have to move as much while brushing my teeth?  ;D

Seriously though, I don't want to beat a horse that's already dead but my dad is a dentist and he uses Sonicare :-). Not sure why he does but just wanted to add a vote of confidence!

Ok I'm getting overwhelming Sonic-Care.. what's the reasoning.. better battery , motor?

also, which one comes with user replaceable batteries... I don't trust built in batteries as I come from the hobby crowd.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:44:02 »

Ok I'm getting overwhelming Sonic-Care.. what's the reasoning.. better battery , motor?

also, which one comes with user replaceable batteries... I don't trust built in batteries as I come from the hobby crowd.

I would've agreed with you about the battery, but it's extremely reliable. I've an older model and had left it in a box for years unused. The area it was flooded and once we were able to get all the water out I came across it again buried in silt. It didn't work and I was prepared to saw it open and try to fix it, but after giving it a nice clean and leaving it on the charger for 2 days it started accepting a charge again. I've been using that same toothbrush (with replaced heads of course) for almost a decade after that incident.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:46:32 »
I wish I had electric teeth so I could try one of these.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:48:15 »

I would've agreed with you about the battery, but it's extremely reliable. I've an older model and had left it in a box for years unused. The area it was flooded and once we were able to get all the water out I came across it again buried in silt. It didn't work and I was prepared to saw it open and try to fix it, but after giving it a nice clean and leaving it on the charger for 2 days it started accepting a charge again. I've been using that same toothbrush (with replaced heads of course) for almost a decade after that incident.

is the motor between all the models, or are the $100 ones using some sort of beastlier motor with higher cycles.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:49:24 »
another vote for sonicare.

our dentist saw a remarkable improvement with it 7 years ago and we've used it since. i think i've bought 4, lost 1, and 1 died after a few years, just get the "basic" model, autoshuts off after 2mins, what more could you want? i think the old basic was called the 4100 series or the e series, now it's relabeled the essence, and they give you the "angled" brush heads that work with the essence now (which are better than the straight to really get in there)

oh i also have the replacement heads on amazon 6month (cuz they say replace every 6 months) auto bill so i know when i get a toothbrush package in the mail it's time to replace, easy/peesy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:53:36 »
Sadly I do not brush my teeth.

Offline Trent

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:25:46 »
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:33:34 »
Don't get the regular Sonicare models. The batteries wear out and there's no proper way to replace them (I tried).

Sonicare has a model for around $40 that works the same, but uses replaceable AA batteries. I use eneloop rechargeables in mine.

Signed, Burz (who recently walked into a Target and found only sealed Li-on beard trimmers :( )
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:53:35 »
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline dante

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:16:32 »
Take it to toothhack. Or if you're banned on there dentthority.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:21:47 »
arite, i got both the sonicare one with replaceable batteries, AND the oral-b one with replaceable batteries...

we shall see which one dies first... although I'm not sure if my dad brushes more / less than I do

I got some extremely overpriced japanese lipo I'm gonna stick in there.

Although perhaps the low drain nimh would be better since the lipo is for high current, and loses more when unused

Offline Burz

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 20:14:56 »
Eneloops or other low-discharge NiMH should last over 2 months in a Sonicare no problem.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 00:35:52 »
Eneloops or other low-discharge NiMH should last over 2 months in a Sonicare no problem.

have you tried the eneloop xx, how are they?

Offline Burz

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 22:43:51 »

have you tried the eneloop xx, how are they?

Not yet. Prefer the higher recharge cycles (1500, IIRC) for now.

BTW, I am now on a quest to find a nice beard trimmer that takes AAs.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 22:56:02 »
I used to use a Braun and now I have a Sonicare. Either is better than manual. They last for years. If a battery is supposed to last 400 charges before it starts begins to get week, and a charge lasts a week, that's 400 weeks.......
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 23:19:55 »
Maybe I'm old school, but electric toothbrushes scare me...  I'm afraid of them brushing my gums too harshly and other softer parts.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 23:31:15 »
Maybe I'm old school, but electric toothbrushes scare me...  I'm afraid of them brushing my gums too harshly and other softer parts.

It's a hundred thousand revolutions a second. It's the most powerful one they make. Like you're holding a blender!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 00:56:37 »

It's a hundred thousand revolutions a second. It's the most powerful one they make. Like you're holding a blender!

wha.... link...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 00:58:17 »

You're not suppose to shove it up your pee hole!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 00:58:58 »

You're not suppose to shove it up your pee hole!

you pee from your mouth?  video ..

Offline calavera

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 01:00:33 »
I use the sonicare with all the useless options. Wish I had gotten the basic one instead. The first few times the vibrations of the sonicare will feel awkward on your gums but once you get used to it it's really nothing. Also the vibration massages your gums, they don't hurt it. :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:51:52 »
Got um... the sonicare and the oral b

I'd have to say neither are better than the other...  the both work on the eneloops no slow downs or weakness compared to 1.5v alkaline..

Guess now we'll have to see which one breaks first...

Offline Burz

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 16:55:45 »
I used to use a Braun and now I have a Sonicare. Either is better than manual. They last for years. If a battery is supposed to last 400 charges before it starts begins to get week, and a charge lasts a week, that's 400 weeks.......
But alas, in practice its more like 22 months then.... "Just but another one!" I know this from experience. Besides, carrying around a special charger when you're on a long trip is the pits.

I've been using my AA Sonicare for over 5 years now. It can go twice as long between charges, and when I'm away from home I have the option of using a standard charger or buying a couple alkalines at the nearest convenience store.

Sealed batteries and special chargers are for suckers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 17:39:04 »
But alas, in practice its more like 22 months then.... "Just but another one!" I know this from experience. Besides, carrying around a special charger when you're on a long trip is the pits.

I've been using my AA Sonicare for over 5 years now. It can go twice as long between charges, and when I'm away from home I have the option of using a standard charger or buying a couple alkalines at the nearest convenience store.

Sealed batteries and special chargers are for suckers.

I agree, I would never buy a product with a unreplacable battery.. I've been fidaggled so many times by planned-obsolescence thing.

Offline Burz

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:44:54 »
I agree, I would never buy a product with a unreplacable battery.. I've been fidaggled so many times by planned-obsolescence thing.

This makes buying a smartphone rather hard, however.  :(

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:19:03 »

This makes buying a smartphone rather hard, however.  :(

I know my gs4 has a replaceable battery, so do several others. It ain't too bad.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 18:00:50 »
you pee from your mouth?  video ..

Sounds like a probable South Park episode.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)