Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire Pro - the BEST choice?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline PythoN

CM Storm Quickfire Pro - the BEST choice?
« on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:47:55 »
hey geekhack!

i'm new here, but anyway here is my story.

i got a cm storm quickfire pro with brown switches about a month and a half ago, and i must say i LOVE it. typing is awesome, browns are great, however the thing is that i have never tried out any other switches. i blindly bought browns based off of research and the fact that people say it's for a mix of gaming and typing, so i went for it (the quickfire pro being the most cost efficient option).
however, i am VERY ocd when it comes to the gear i use. i do tonsss of research and right now i feel like my keyboard may not be the best available on the market. i'm thinking that maybe there is another switch that would suit me better than the brown switch.
i play starcraft 2 90% of the time when i'm playing any games on my PC, and when i'm not doing that i am typing in twitch chat, on forums, or reports for school.
if i have the chance to refund/sell my quickfire for a good price, does anyone have suggestions for another keyboard that is relatively cheap but well known for its solid build and great feel? i was looking into the quickfire rapid with reds, blues, or greens, however there isn't any way for me to try out the keyboards in person, so i am relying on you guys out there with experience with many boards to guide me in the right direction :D
or maybe i am just paranoid? maybe my keyboard is awesome and i should be glad that i was lucky enough to purchase it  ;D please discuss, and thanks for any advice guys!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: CM Storm Quickfire Pro - the BEST choice?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:52:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There is no BEST choice overall.

Each person has their own favourite.

The only way really is to try different switches, which might mean finding someone with a keyboard that you can try, or just buying them.

Most around here seem to follow the latter philosophy ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PythoN

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:55:11 »
thanks for the reply!

the problem is i only have one other friend using a mechanical keyboard and he lives relatively far away. his board is a QFR with blue switches and i don't know if i'd have a chance of trying it out. also i live in toronto and there are literally no stores that stock mechanical keyboards ready for me to use. it makes me sad that this kind of stuff isn't as accessible in my town.
if anyone lives in toronto or knows of a place i can try out different switches, please let me know and i'll be forever greatful  :D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:08:13 »
Go to Canada Computers, they have a lot of mechanical keyboards on display for you to try.  Also both Canada Computers and NCIX have a pretty huge selection now.

As for switch, I think MX Brown is a good starting switch.  It has the lowest failure rate for first timers lol.

Now if you want the BEST keyboard, best is subjective but I can suggest you a few.

Filco is generally pretty well regarded just expensive.  CM Storm QuickFire Rapid/Stealth is consider best quality for the money.  Ducky is consider as best backlit keyboard.  However I think Max Keyboard is a good backlit option too I haven't heard any owner complain yet.

So yeah check out your local Canada Computers first  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:53:28 »
First mechanical keyboards always hold dear places to us, especially when you made a good choice right off the bat.

I love Cherry MX Brown switches, it was the first mechanical switch I ever used (on my Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Silent) and even after having tried all other switches and expanding my keyboard collection, it's still my favorite and the Das is still very special to me, especially after I modded it:

But anyways, try lots of keyboards on your way out there, no one can say which switch is better for you and remember:

Backlighting doesn't makes a keyboard better. Actually, thin ABS keycaps with dubious printing only makes the keyboard's quality even worse. By the way, they also makes replacing switches a LOT more difficult to do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:57:27 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline ViewMaster

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 18:43:59 »
I think you made the right choice. I tried to get that board after trying a few different setups.
think about what aspect you want to improve first, travel, noise, activation pressure. Y ou want better harder faster stronger?  :cool:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit-1/wasd-sampler-kit.html

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 19:11:51 »
First mechanical keyboards always hold dear places to us, especially when you made a good choice right off the bat.

I love Cherry MX Brown switches, it was the first mechanical switch I ever used (on my Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Silent) and even after having tried all other switches and expanding my keyboard collection, it's still my favorite and the Das is still very special to me, especially after I modded it:

Yupe I still like my Costar Das very much, it was also my first mechanical keyboard.  I think I'll keep it forever lol.

Though a fair warning for OP.  The newer Das doesn't have the same build quality anymore, they're made in a different place now so beware.

As for different switches, I think you'll eventually try all of them anyway so might as well keep your keyboard for now lol.  And buy more later  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:14:23 »
I've tried MANY different MX switches now and variations (all of the common ones, a number of uncommon), and MX Browns are still my favorite.  I just love them.  The kind that has low friction, as some batches have pretty high friction out of the box.  My Ducky and Filco have buttery smooth Browns.

As for the best keyboard... it's in the eye of the beholder :)  Most are adequately good quality, and "best" is a subjective qualifier.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:31:41 »
I've tried MANY different MX switches now and variations (all of the common ones, a number of uncommon), and MX Browns are still my favorite.  I just love them.  The kind that has low friction, as some batches have pretty high friction out of the box.  My Ducky and Filco have buttery smooth Browns.

As for the best keyboard... it's in the eye of the beholder :)  Most are adequately good quality, and "best" is a subjective qualifier.

He's lying....

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:32:43 »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:45:05 »
Browns are terrible, get blues. Best switch MX.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 21:03:02 »
Blues: CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK ad infinitum :)  But I agree, they are fun!  :p

Offline Hyde

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 22:45:52 »
lol Blue is hit or miss, I don't advise that as first switch to try out.  Brown and Red are more well rounded and kind of safer choice in my opinion.

Though overall I'd say Brown is still safer compare to Red because the tactility is more familiar and easier to get used to.

But in the end it's really a preference so I say try them all lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 22:47:33 »
I read here somewhere that those new to mechanical keyboards should not get MX reds as the typing experience is too close to rubber dome.  Browns at least would have tactility.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lyrill

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:22:08 »
lol Blue is hit or miss, I don't advise that as first switch to try out.  Brown and Red are more well rounded and kind of safer choice in my opinion.

Though overall I'd say Brown is still safer compare to Red because the tactility is more familiar and easier to get used to.

you seem to put too much stress on how people are used to rubber dome.

cherry reds are among the highest in sales.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 09:34:13 »

you seem to put too much stress on how people are used to rubber dome.

cherry reds are among the highest in sales.

I believe that is due to successful marketing by companies like Corsair and resulting word of mouth.  Red being the best "gamer" switch and all that.  I dislike Reds myself.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 10:46:51 »
Browns are terrible, get blues. Best switch MX.

Truer words never spoken.
Gotta collect them all

Offline PythoN

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 19:54:12 »
why are browns terrible? am i missing out on something here? because from i know all the switches are up to the user's preference

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 20:06:53 »
user's preference

exactly, asking people to buy something for you will obviously be affected by their preferences.

IMO browns are terrible because they're a ****ty compromise between clicky and linear. If you want tactile without clicky, get a $5 rubberdome board.

Offline PythoN

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 20:10:24 »
or I can just stick with browns...

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 20:11:37 »
exactly! stick with what you like.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 20:11:40 »
or I can just stick with browns...

:Thumbs up!:  :cool: