Author Topic: [Help] MX Clear Switch in ANSI TKL Layout available in the UK.  (Read 2298 times)

Offline ParrotAttack

As the title says. I'm looking for help finding an MX Clear TKL Keyboard that I can get in the UK. No real budget, but lets says $100-$150  + International Shipping.

Parrot.

Edit: Title.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:19:07 by ParrotAttack »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
There are not that many MX clear boards. You might find a used Leopold with clears, or you can look for new duckies in MX clears. Most people just mod their existing boards to ergo clears.

Offline ParrotAttack

Re: [Help] MX Clear Switch in ANSI TKL Layout available in the UK.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:24:47 »
I'll put the leopard off straight away, due too its awkward space bar size.

Thanks for the info about the ducky.

I'm not to comfortable about modding, how easy is it to do so? Cause i'd be willing to get a brown switch and mod the springs to heavier ones if it isn't too difficult.

Parrot.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:31:16 »
I'll put the leopard off straight away, due too its awkward space bar size.

Thanks for the info about the ducky.

I'm not to comfortable about modding, how easy is it to do so? Cause i'd be willing to get a brown switch and mod the springs to heavier ones if it isn't too difficult.

Parrot.
The brown stems are different from clears so that wouldn't work. Modding is fairly easy. You just need a soldering iron. WhiteFireDragon has a guide on it here :

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:36:45 »
@Photekq - Thanks for the video, but you said it was fairly easy...that doesn't look easy to me!

And I know the brown stems aren't the same, but i'm not adverse to them (I like typing and gaming on them) but I just wish they where heavier, hence why I thought about replacing the springs.

Guess my options are somewhat limited then!..

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 03:48:12 »
The brown stems are different from clears so that wouldn't work. Modding is fairly easy. You just need a soldering iron. WhiteFireDragon has a guide on it here :
More

^ You had to post my own video right after my post :p

@Photekq - Thanks for the video, but you said it was fairly easy...that doesn't look easy to me!

And I know the brown stems aren't the same, but i'm not adverse to them (I like typing and gaming on them) but I just wish they where heavier, hence why I thought about replacing the springs.

If you break it down step by step, it's not too hard, just tedious. It does require some equipment though.

If you put heavier springs in MX browns, you might not even feel the tactile bump anymore. The heavier the spring, the less tactile the switch will become. The lighter the spring, the more of the bump you'll feel. I think 62g clears would be perfect for you in terms of weight and tactile bump.

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:03:36 »
@WhiteFire - Nice Video! The tediousness doesn't bother me, but I haven't soldered in over 8 years, and when doing something that is probably going to cost upwards of £100 then I want to ensure it's correct, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking apart a keyboard and re-soldering in keys.

I did not know that about reducing the tactile bump with a heavier spring, so hopefully I can find some clear's on a new board (Hurry up WASD v2!) and mod only the springs to 62g if I don't like the original clears.

Parrot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:05:48 by ParrotAttack »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:05:51 »
Yo, what's that other awesome keyboard that also comes with Clear switches.. I also heard it has a moddable plate for easy conversion to ergo clears, or whatever other stem/spring combination you'd like.

I think it's also fully programmable.

Dang, what was the name...

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:14:59 »
I...I...I can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:24:52 »
I...I...I can't tell if sarcasm or not.
It's just tp. He sometimes likes to troll and he really, really, really likes the ergodox keyboard :))
github

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 04:36:50 »
Aah okay. Well I am new and will hopefully learn about these 'dodgy' members  :))

The Ergo does intrigue me, but for my second ever mech keyboard, I will gracefully decline TP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 05:06:13 »
Aah okay. Well I am new and will hopefully learn about these 'dodgy' members  :))

The Ergo does intrigue me, but for my second ever mech keyboard, I will gracefully decline TP.

You will rue this day...  >:D

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 05:10:36 »
Possibly, but i'll take that risk at the moment  :p

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 07:34:24 »
 :D

The thread also got a little de-railed by TP... So if anyone else has suggestions etc. i'd be very greatfull!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 07:38:30 »
Supposedly at the end of this month, WASD will be announcing their V2 which has the option of being TKL and has been hinted at being released in MX Clears. And Cooler Master said they'd have some Quick Fire Rapids in Clears coming Soon[TM].

Otherwise, you might be better off getting a QFR and modding it to Clears. Soldering is not hard. Take hot iron, melt metal. It's honestly that simple. Yes there's a technique and you might need practice but it's not bad. Like Photekq posted, WFD's video is literally the best thing you can get other than having WFD mod the board for you. You can also try getting someone to mod a board for you but it will cost you money. And I don't know anyone in the UK that is offering mod services.

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:03:44 »
Yeah, WASD have confirmed they will be stocking the v2 in clears on a recent blog post, however I didn't know about the QFR being released in clears (soon [TM]) so that is interesting/good to know, but whether it'll be available in the UK is another Question.

I will most likely wait upon more information about this before going along the modification route. I currently have a QF TK with browns to plod along with anyhow...

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:08:46 »
Finding a keyboard with clear switches is hard. It's almost impossible within the UK since we have quite a limited selection. For other switches your best bet would be a Filco since you can buy them from the Keyboard Co. It's just a shame that you cannot get Filcos with clears. I honestly can't think of a board in the UK with clears, sorry.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:09:43 »
Yeah, WASD have confirmed they will be stocking the v2 in clears on a recent blog post, however I didn't know about the QFR being released in clears (soon [TM]) so that is interesting/good to know, but whether it'll be available in the UK is another Question.

If the Clears are in the QFR Stealth variant, you might have a hard time getting it. There's a copyright issue that prevents QFR Stealths from being sold in the EU and I believe the UK.

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 08:17:05 »
Yeah, being in the UK is a bummer! However, as I said, I actually want an ANSI layout, so imports are not out of the picture.

We will see what the future holds for me. In the mean time, I might buy a soldering iron  ;D