Author Topic: Does the keyboard switch, caps, etc. really matter???  (Read 3395 times)

Offline jksteger

Does the keyboard switch, caps, etc. really matter???
« on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:43:28 »
I am NOT a gamer but a regular user of the keyboard as a Windows & Exchange Administrator at work and I think I have come to the conclusion that the keyboard doesn't really matter too much to me as long as it's comfortable to type on in short burst or small patches. 
Most of my day is spent typing scripts, usernames, commands, etc.  A stiff keyboard is terrible to me and a very mushy one is bad too.  I've spent the past 10 years or so almost excursively using a notebook with scissor keys and short key travel.  All the notebooks have been either HP Business Notebooks or IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads and only just this year started working with a desktop setup (still using a notebook though) and using a desktop keyboard most of the time.

I have found that I really like tactile keys but the type of switch is not important to me too much.  I have found I prefer Matias Alps but any type is fine as long as there's some type of tactile feedback.

Are gamers and/or typist typically the users that really demand certain keyboards or switch types? 
I've seen programmers who are coding all day long and are using laptops or even those Apple aluminum keyboards and they are speed coding for over 8 hours each day and the keyboard they are using doesn't seem to make any difference to them as long as the layout is common.
I will admit, I got my start with PC's back in the '80's and Model M's were the standard and everyone used them.  When the rubber domes started to come out more and more they were welcomed with open arms, of course the quality was a lot better then too!  Easier to type on and much quieter too!  I came here and started buying up keyboards looking for the "golden" keyboard, LOL.  Well, I have not found it but I really, really like the Matias QuietPro.  I had a Realforce 87 key with variable weight but I could not bond with the lighter keys.  I found I was inadvertently pressing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and such all the time.  My next board will be the white/grey Realforce 87, 45g uniform.
I've come to the conclusion that for ME, the keyboard doesn't matter too much as long as it's comfortable and "easy" to type on.

With that said, look in the classifieds because I'm going to post all my keyboards for sale there today if I can get a chance!

J.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Does the keyboard switch, caps, etc. really matter???
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:47:01 »
Yes. It absolutely matters to me. The switches, the caps, everything. If it didn't matter, I would've just used the Dell Quietkey Rubber dome meh that they gave me at work, nor would I have 3K posts on a keyboard enthusiast forum.

I can't tell if you're trolling or if you're serious.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:02:36 »
^What he said, except I don't yet have 3k posts :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:04:04 »
NO... it does not mattter....

ALL THAT MATTERS,, is that whatever it is,, it's in the layout and shape of an ergodox...   fvk everything else.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:05:21 »

ALL THAT MATTERS,, is that whatever it is,, it's in the layout and shape of an ergodox...   fvk everything else.
So you're saying an ergodox with a switch/membrane you dislike would be just as good?
github

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:05:39 »

Would you rather have a rubber dome ergodox?

Layout may matter more, but other stuff matters.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:14:06 »

That's not my point...

My point is,, I wouldn't care what the switch was, as long as it's in this shape..

I don't care if it's rubber dome..

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:22:43 »

That's not my point...

My point is,, I wouldn't care what the switch was, as long as it's in this shape..

But if they made edoxes as we know and love, as well as rubber dome edoxes, would you personally use a dome edox or mechanical?

The dome one would be great for people who don't use it enough to care about the feel (but still touch type) sure. But the mech switches would still be nice to have.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:40:34 »

That's not my point...

But if they made edoxes as we know and love, as well as rubber dome edoxes, would you personally use a dome edox or mechanical?

The dome one would be great for people who don't use it enough to care about the feel (but still touch type) sure. But the mech switches would still be nice to have.

if it was cheaper, i wouldn't mind the rubber dome...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:53:43 »
What matters is the comfort and happiness of the user.

If we all had the same opinion about keyboards, there would be no forum. There would be 2 keyboards in the world:

The cheapest one possible, for the users who did not care, and the "perfect" one for the people who did care.

Personally, tactile feedback is extremely important. To other people, not so much.

Buy what you like.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:05:13 »
What matters is the comfort and happiness of the user.

If we all had the same opinion about keyboards, there would be no forum. There would be 2 keyboards in the world:

The cheapest one possible, for the users who did not care, and the "perfect" one for the people who did care.

Personally, tactile feedback is extremely important. To other people, not so much.

Buy what you like.

I'd be perfectly happy with a $5 rubber dome ergodox.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:07:29 »
I think it matters most when you want it to matter. For a little while I got really interested in keycaps and all that jazz and I've several different keyboards, but the biggest difference (if you care about such things) is going from a cheap POS to ANY MKB. The differences between two similar MKBs of similar quality and switch type (Leopold, Filco, etc of the same switch type, in my opinion, is really not as important).

That said, switch types do kind of make a difference: I tried reds and really had a hard time getting used to them. I tried blues but didn't like them as much as browns. Browns really do feel like the "go-to" default switch to me: pretty darn good at just about everything: the feedback is appreciable but not distracting and the action is definitely satisfying enough.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 16:21:40 »
Since there is a difference in how they feel, and  people have their preferences about how they want their keyboard to feel, it matters.

Does it matter as much as some people claim? Switches, I would say yes absolutely. Caps, I would say not to me. Both material and profile of the keycaps does not make a huge difference for me.

You also need to take into account that of course, some things only matter for people who are really into their keyboards. It is the same with other hobbies. Most people would not care whether their bike has a Tiagra or Ultegra groupset. They do not know what they are, and would not be able to tell the difference. But there is a whole world of cyclists out there who care greatly about the differences between the two. You can make similar comparisons about the type of fishing line people like to use, or the type of plectrum they use to play their guitar. People in the hobby have a clear preference. The rest of the world may have a preference, but they generally could care less.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 16:40:09 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 17:40:11 »
Well with everything in life everything matters, BUT does it still matter considering the price?

Whether you drive a Toyota Yaris or a Nissan GTR you can still only drive at the speed limit set by the law.  Though there is still a difference driving a Yaris vs a GTR.  It's just that is it worth the 10 times price?

So in the case of keyboard, I think it's a pretty big difference going from rubber dome to mechanical.  But say..... if you get a $15 rubber dome, your $90 mechanical is not gonna be 6 times better than your rubber dome.  And your $300 Topre is not gonna be 20 times better either (ok maybe some will argue it will be).

Personally I'm too deep into this hobby so I'm gonna buy my first Topre in 2 months regardless anyway LOL.

Try it out yourself and decide that if the price difference worth it for YOU (since keyboard is a very preference based hobby).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:26:16 »
To some people it does.  To others it does not.

People differ as much as keyboards, probably more so.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jksteger

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 06:23:09 »
I guess in hindsight I should have not asked if it really matters but rather have said something along the lines of ...after trying and buying scores of keyboards, MY personal conclusion is that the keyboard doesn't matter too much to me as long as the layout and feel is comfortable to ME, YMMV  :)

A commentary on what I "personally" have discovered.

I do like trying out new keyboards but at the end of the day, I guess I can just use the board in front of me just as well as any other board to get the "job" done.

I had to reach the same conclusion with my guitar.  I was always on a tone quest. It only mattered to me and other players. Anyone that was listening to my music could care less what I was playing or playing through. Woods, pickups, effects, amps, they didn't care!  Once I figured this out I was able to focus more on my playing skills and save a crapload of cash, lol

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 06:32:28 »
You know what GH needs? A keyboard Stig to race various switch types and layouts around the old proverbial track.

If you do not know who The Stig is, Google it.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 06:34:01 »
You know what GH needs? A keyboard Stig to race various switch types and layouts around the old proverbial track.

If you do not know who The Stig is, Google it.
Brilliant.
github

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 06:42:36 »
But even so switch, keycap and layout preference is still personal choice.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 09:29:41 »
It does matter to me.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline ksm123

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 13:06:14 »
It matters, may be not for hunt-and-peck typist, but certainly for touch typists.

There is huge difference between typing properly, and bottoming out on every keypress just to have the key registered.

Offline templai

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 00:43:29 »
Same as going from some cheap headphone purchased at Wallmart with no sound coming out from the left ear cup to a nice pair of Beyers, literally.

Offline Topre

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 01:06:05 »
Caps don't really matter, which is why my keyboard is capless.

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 05:37:57 »

...You type by pressing down the switches themselves? wat
Left geekhack 2013-08-24, because of rude and arbitrary moderators.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 05:47:16 »

...You type by pressing down the switches themselves? wat

Must have skinny fingers if it is a Topre board ;)

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 06:24:49 »
Well with everything in life everything matters, BUT does it still matter considering the price?

Whether you drive a Toyota Yaris or a Nissan GTR you can still only drive at the speed limit set by the law.  Though there is still a difference driving a Yaris vs a GTR.  It's just that is it worth the 10 times price?

So in the case of keyboard, I think it's a pretty big difference going from rubber dome to mechanical.  But say..... if you get a $15 rubber dome, your $90 mechanical is not gonna be 6 times better than your rubber dome.  And your $300 Topre is not gonna be 20 times better either (ok maybe some will argue it will be).

Personally I'm too deep into this hobby so I'm gonna buy my first Topre in 2 months regardless anyway LOL.

Try it out yourself and decide that if the price difference worth it for YOU (since keyboard is a very preference based hobby).

^^what he said

A hobby is more for fun. IT doesn't matter the cost of the next keyboard you're getting as long as it's built the way you like. so things like switches, keycaps, brand, looks, etc.. all matter a lot to me.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 06:44:38 »

So you're saying an ergodox with a switch/membrane you dislike would be just as good?

Topre ErgoDox plz
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 09:34:21 »
All that matters is the Pursuit of Happyness...

Seriously though, just use whatever is comfortable to you; however, this is a keyboard enthusiast forum so it matters to many of us.

I just recently switched from dome switch to mechanical keyboard and I know I could never go back. I tried using the keys on my Samsung Series 5 and it just feels incomplete to me.

I still haven't reached my typing max like I did with the rubber dome (mostly cause I took so many typing drills on it and got so used to typing fast on it that I still getting used to not pressing with so much pressure even though I already type fairly light).

It's more about comfort, use, and whatever makes you happy.

One very superficial reason I all of it matters to me is customization (especially in looks). I like to have my things express me, and since I really got into keyboards, I really want my board to stand out and people go, "That's Tim being all unique and hipster about his keyboard being tiny and blank."  ;D

Just do what pleases you and optimizes what you have to do. ManyKorean Starcraft 2 players use the Qsenn (which I find completely pointless because it really is just a regular rubber dome with just a slightly better build quality).
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 10:06:59 »
It matters to a certain extent. If you miss keystrokes because of stiff, sticky keys, and your hands get sore, there's something going wrong—maybe the keyboard sucks. That's basically what you're saying.

The rest is addiction (need moar keyboards! @_@), circlejerking (aka penis-measuring contests such as Cherry MX vs. Topre) and bull**** similar to audiophile cables etc.

Noone buys a supersport car just to drive to the office and back home. It's more like saying `I'm richer than you` (or "my penis is too small").
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 June 2013, 10:11:26 by davkol »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 14:20:02 »
It matters to a certain extent. If you miss keystrokes because of stiff, sticky keys, and your hands get sore, there's something going wrong—maybe the keyboard sucks. That's basically what you're saying.

The rest is addiction (need moar keyboards! @_@), circlejerking (aka penis-measuring contests such as Cherry MX vs. Topre) and bull**** similar to audiophile cables etc.

Noone buys a supersport car just to drive to the office and back home. It's more like saying `I'm richer than you` (or "my penis is too small").

Or it is like teenage Asians and who has the nicer kicks. I have wrist problems from a slight carpal so I'm gonna get problems with any board in terms of hand hurting (it switched from my right wrist hurting on my RD and now my left elbow and left wrist hurting on my Leopold...might also be due to the fact that my seat doesn't go any higher so I can't properly position my elbows and wrists).
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 15:00:28 »
You need an ErgoDox. ~_^

Offline Calyx

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:13:19 »

I have a TECK with MX Browns and to be perfectly honest, I prefer scissor switches.  They are quieter, shorter travel, bigger surface area (see Fitt's Law), less wobbly, and have a better tactile feel (IMO).  Mech switches have two bumps on the way down.  Scissors have one.  Layout is the only reason I use it.  I actually would prefer a scissor ergodox, but I am in the minority.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:18:49 by Calyx »
Setup: Microdox (Workman-P) & Tilted Msft Trackball Explorer

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:18:29 »

I have a TECK with MX Browns and to be perfectly honest, I prefer scissor switches.  They are quieter, shorter travel, bigger surface area (see Fitt's Law), less wobbly, and have a better tactile feel (IMO).

fitt's law not relevant to keyboards.

Once the keystroke action becomes muscle memory, that's completely alters the travel time to target object.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:19:49 »
They are quieter, shorter travel, bigger surface area (see Fitt's Law), less wobbly, and have a better tactile feel (IMO).  Mech switches have two bumps on the way down.  Scissors have one.  Layout is the only reason I use it.

You should try a Jailhouse Blues board. I think you'd really like it. Check my signature for my thoughts on it and it will also link you to a tour of them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:59:59 »

I have a TECK with MX Browns and to be perfectly honest, I prefer scissor switches.  They are quieter, shorter travel, bigger surface area (see Fitt's Law), less wobbly, and have a better tactile feel (IMO).

fitt's law not relevant to keyboards.

I suspect Fitt's law isn't relevant at all anymore.