Author Topic: How to make mx switches slience?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline oppz197

• Hai there
How to make mx switches slience?
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:40:29 »
hi im currently using a mx brown kb, but my roommate thinks its too loud esp when i do late night essays. Is there a way to lighten the sound/ whihc mx switch is the quietest?

Offline calavera

Re: How to make mx switches slience?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:45:47 »
o-rings would soften the sound of bottoming out but it won't make them totally silent.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:48:16 »
Maybe practice not bottoming out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline oppz197

• Hai there
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:18:00 »
does black or red make less noise?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 23:19:41 »
Probably black, as it is slightly harder to press the keys down, and thus you would be slightly less likely to bottom out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ksm123

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:31:24 »
MX Clears and acrylic plate, this combination is the most quiet I've ever used.

I don't bottom it out, not even modifiers. It is more quiet then my superior's ThinkPad keyboard.

I used to use MX Brown, even without bottoming out it was louder, metal plate amplifies the sound of returning key :-(

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 00:57:46 »
o rings, not bottoming out and typing slower.

i feel the cherry mx reds are the quietest without modifications
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 01:00:14 »
Probably black, as it is slightly harder to press the keys down, and thus you would be slightly less likely to bottom out.

maybe it's just me but for cherry mx black switches, i just press a lot harder so im bottoming out even more when usually i wouldnt be.

when i compare my black switch board and my red switch board, the red switch is quieter but it may just be the board.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 01:10:02 »
KSM123 and Knotra are in the ballpark I think. The acrylic plate seems to stifle the most sound but am I wrong in thinking the cherry clears make some noise since they are tactile? Wouldn't black or red be better since they are linear? Super soft o-rings are a must as well and possible changing key caps.....all this if we are trying to make it as stealth as possible. Forget what's practical/affordable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 07:07:49 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 01:13:13 »
I am typing on blacks now, and although I usually bottom out with reds and blues, I, with a little concentration, can almost not bottom out at all on blacks.

There is still a little rattle from the keycaps,

This is on a plate-mounted QFR btw.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 03:46:55 »
@InputNirvana:

I cannot give you any insight into difference between sound of Clears and Blacks, the shameful secret is: I've never in my life typed on linear Cherry MX keyboard.

On the other hand, bear in mind, that tactile, as opposed to clicky switch actuation is an order of magnitude quieter than bottoming a switch out...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 04:05:42 »
Float type, or if that takes too much concentration, then O-rings. You'll still have noise from the keys popping back up, but if you lube it with high viscosity oil, you'll get rid of a lot that noise.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 06:21:06 »
Don't forget about keycaps. Bottoming out and upstroke with thick/PBT caps don't sound as aggressive as with thin ABS.

KSM123 and Knotra are in the ballpark I think. The acrylic plate seems to stifle the most sound but am I wrong in thinking the cherry clears make some noise since they are tactile? Wouldn't black or red be better since they are linear? Super soft o-rings are a must as well and possible changing key ape.....all this if we are trying to make it as stealth as possible. Forget what's practical/affordable.

I think the bump somehow dampens the upstroke.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 09:40:27 »
I have never tried an acrylic plate. A keyboard without PCB-mounted switches (no plate) is more silent than one with a metal plate.
The springs in Cherry MX Black switches ping somewhat, even if they are PCB-mounted.
🍉

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 10:59:21 »
I think I may have had an interesting idea. Since o-rings dampen the sound when bottoming out pretty well, there's still the problem of the key making this high pitched sound when snapping back up.
So I opened a Cherry MX Black and looked exactly which parts cause that sound, it's the stem's sliders bouncing against the upper part of the housing, just two small spots. To dampen this sound, I took the housing (since that is the non moving part) and put some glue on the two spots, then I took some fibers of a thick sock, making two small fluffs and glueing them inside.
I probably should have taken some different glue and made this a bit more properly, but this more a proof of concept.

26410-0

Here are the results with a non-mounted, non-lubed Cherry MX Black switch (I am a bit sick but it's not that bad):
Vanilla switch: http://vocaroo.com/i/s17Q2clQt4dZ
Vanilla with blue o-ring: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dZIp4zPwME
Modded switch: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dh19b7yrDp

As I say in the last recording, it feels weird. Maybe that's the glue transferring a bit to the sliders, but that's rather my fault with the "wrong glue". However, it is very very silent.

Should I do more experiments with this?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:18:57 by BlueBär »

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 11:04:38 »
Get a topre.  They are quiet and nicer for typing. :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:21:33 »

Wrong thread, Topre circlejerk is here.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:25:01 »

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Wow, I wasn't the first one to call um out on it...

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:35:35 »

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Wow, I wasn't the first one to call um out on it...

ERGODOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
45g Brown Brown Blue