Author Topic: Ducky Shine II or wait for Shine III? (Or something entirely different?)  (Read 3231 times)

Offline guywithtwohands

Hey there.

So I've been looking into getting a new keyboard, and have more or less settled on the Ducky Shine. However, I see that Shine III should be coming out within the next month or two, and am therefore wondering what other people think is the best decision. Note that I have sort of decided on the cherry MX blue switch.

Right now I'm using a Das Keyboard with brown switches which I've had for about a year now, but needless to say, it has not lived up to what I would expect from a 130€ keyboard.

Any advice :)?

Links would be much appreciated.

Do note, however, that I am in EU, and would thus prefer a store located in the region to save myself from having to deal with customs and other fees.

Thanks.

Offline shifted

If you can actually find a Ducky Shine II in the switch and style you want I would buy it.  Otherwise I would wait.  It seems like the lighting modes are the only thing really changing on the Shine III and maybe an uglier space bar on the way.  You might pay more for one now though since stock is more limited.

Here is mechanicalkeyboards.com stock of blue switch ducky's:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&switch_id=3&size=ALL&man=1&key_plastic=ALL&backlit=ALL&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=58&y=8&in_stock=on

In this case I would wait but maybe you like the color schemes or chinese characters?

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
If you can actually find a Ducky Shine II in the switch and style you want I would buy it.  Otherwise I would wait.  It seems like the lighting modes are the only thing really changing on the Shine III and maybe an uglier space bar on the way.  You might pay more for one now though since stock is more limited.

Here is mechanicalkeyboards.com stock of blue switch ducky's:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&switch_id=3&size=ALL&man=1&key_plastic=ALL&backlit=ALL&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=58&y=8&in_stock=on

In this case I would wait but maybe you like the color schemes or chinese characters?

I second going for the Shine II unless a couple more useless LED modes are that important to you

LOL... ergodox...

Oh you....

: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline Danule

• ###
Hey there.

So I've been looking into getting a new keyboard, and have more or less settled on the Ducky Shine. However, I see that Shine III should be coming out within the next month or two, and am therefore wondering what other people think is the best decision. Note that I have sort of decided on the cherry MX blue switch.

Right now I'm using a Das Keyboard with brown switches which I've had for about a year now, but needless to say, it has not lived up to what I would expect from a 130€ keyboard.

Any advice :)?

Links would be much appreciated.

Do note, however, that I am in EU, and would thus prefer a store located in the region to save myself from having to deal with customs and other fees.

Thanks.

What don't you like about the DAS?  is it the model with the media keys?
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline guywithtwohands

Thank you for your replies everyone.

Thanks for the link, shifted. Unfortunately they don't have the particular version that I want (blue switches with green/blue/red LEDs). I have, however, found a store in my country that still has a few left. This might be a possibility then.

Based on what I've seen of the Shine III, "useless" is probably not an invalid usage of the word to describe the new LED modes. From the way I see it, Shine II already has plenty of LED modes that I won't ever use. And yes, the new space bar (if that's what they're going for) is indeed a rather ugly sight. So with all of this in mind, I may be going for a Shine II with blue switches and green LEDs.
---
My Das Keyboard is not the one with the media keys. My main gripe with it is that some keys just feel "odd", mainly backspace and the space bar. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Oh, and the space bar "rattles" a lot. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I never thought too much of it.
---
Does anyone have recommendations for any other keyboards? I was once looking at a Filco, as they are often hailed as being very high quality. However, looking at Ducky vs Filco, I have found cases of some people claiming that the Filco is of lower quality. Maybe that was just an isolated case.

I have of course come across the Razer Blackwidow, but 'gaming' equipment typically isn't the best quality, am I right? Besides, I really dislike those macro keys on the side.

Offline Jack Karneval

Hah, the Blackwidow is looked down upon here, and I can support that claim, because I have one, and it's a POS!

Cooler Master makes really good boards as well, I have the Storm Trigger and the thing is rock solid, and there's a lot of people here that have Quickfire's in their various guises. You might also want to look at Vortex/KBT boards as well.

Offline Danule

• ###
Thank you for your replies everyone.

Thanks for the link, shifted. Unfortunately they don't have the particular version that I want (blue switches with green/blue/red LEDs). I have, however, found a store in my country that still has a few left. This might be a possibility then.

Based on what I've seen of the Shine III, "useless" is probably not an invalid usage of the word to describe the new LED modes. From the way I see it, Shine II already has plenty of LED modes that I won't ever use. And yes, the new space bar (if that's what they're going for) is indeed a rather ugly sight. So with all of this in mind, I may be going for a Shine II with blue switches and green LEDs.
---
My Das Keyboard is not the one with the media keys. My main gripe with it is that some keys just feel "odd", mainly backspace and the space bar. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Oh, and the space bar "rattles" a lot. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I never thought too much of it.
---
Does anyone have recommendations for any other keyboards? I was once looking at a Filco, as they are often hailed as being very high quality. However, looking at Ducky vs Filco, I have found cases of some people claiming that the Filco is of lower quality. Maybe that was just an isolated case.

I have of course come across the Razer Blackwidow, but 'gaming' equipment typically isn't the best quality, am I right? Besides, I really dislike those macro keys on the side.

If you don't like the spacebar and backspace on the DAS you wont like it on any keyboards made by Costar because they use a wire stabilizer.  Ducky uses the Cherry Stabilizer that wont rattle as much or at all.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline guywithtwohands

Hah, the Blackwidow is looked down upon here, and I can support that claim, because I have one, and it's a POS!

Cooler Master makes really good boards as well, I have the Storm Trigger and the thing is rock solid, and there's a lot of people here that have Quickfire's in their various guises. You might also want to look at Vortex/KBT boards as well.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Is the Quickfire Pro not available with blue switches? If I were to get one of the Cooler Master boards, that's the one I would get, but I seem to be unable to find it with blue switches.

If you don't like the spacebar and backspace on the DAS you wont like it on any keyboards made by Costar because they use a wire stabilizer.  Ducky uses the Cherry Stabilizer that wont rattle as much or at all.
I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess the Ducky might be a good choice then.

Offline Sniping

I don't think that Das uses genuine costar stabilizers in their boards anymore. If you want a Ducky, I would recommend the aluminum year of the snake keyboard that they just teased on their Facebook. I myself am selling off my current MX board and just going with an ErgoDox like everyone else...

Offline guywithtwohands

Alright, thanks for the input everyone. I've placed an order of the Ducky Shine II with cherry MX blue switches and green LEDs. Will make sure to post the results once I get it.

Offline Jack Karneval

Alright, thanks for the input everyone. I've placed an order of the Ducky Shine II with cherry MX blue switches and green LEDs. Will make sure to post the results once I get it.

Congrats!  :)

Offline guywithtwohands

Hello again everyone.

I've now been using the Ducky Shine II for a few days. I'm still getting used to the cherry MX blue switches, still making plenty of typos (this was also the case with the browns - maybe I'm just bad :) ).

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. It feels solid, more solid than my Das Keyboard. I am also liking the feel of the backspace etc. a bit more (Costar vs Cherry stabilizers). Oh, and the green backlight is kind of cool.

I have only ever used cherry MX red and brown switches, so I guess the extra pressure needed for blues will take a little while getting used, even if it's just an increase of 5 grams. My main issue appears to be that I either bottom out a lot or end up not actuating the key because I try to not bottom out. This is a problem I also had with the brown switches.

But the clicking sound makes the typing a very enjoyable experience.

So overall, I like it. Hopefully my typing will improve in the near future.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Hello again everyone.

I've now been using the Ducky Shine II for a few days. I'm still getting used to the cherry MX blue switches, still making plenty of typos (this was also the case with the browns - maybe I'm just bad :) ).

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. It feels solid, more solid than my Das Keyboard. I am also liking the feel of the backspace etc. a bit more (Costar vs Cherry stabilizers). Oh, and the green backlight is kind of cool.

I have only ever used cherry MX red and brown switches, so I guess the extra pressure needed for blues will take a little while getting used, even if it's just an increase of 5 grams. My main issue appears to be that I either bottom out a lot or end up not actuating the key because I try to not bottom out. This is a problem I also had with the brown switches.

But the clicking sound makes the typing a very enjoyable experience.

So overall, I like it. Hopefully my typing will improve in the near future.

well.... now that you've experienced how terrible staggered qwerty mechanical keyboards are..

Ergodox is the logical next step

:D