Author Topic: Old Topre Realforce: Where to Buy?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline morpheus

Old Topre Realforce: Where to Buy?
« on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 10:57:02 »
I want to try some old Topre Realforce Boards, where can I find them? Are they only available in Japan?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Old Topre Realforce: Where to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:09:52 »
Why would you want OLD rubber domes..

You realize rubber has a shelf life which counts FROM the date it's manufactured, NOT the date it starts to be used...

All rubber new or used will begin to denature and harden.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 12:10:22 »
So, in essence, there is no such thing as a Broken IN topre... only a Broken DOWN topre...

Offline mauri

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:46:10 »
but but it reads topre on the side surely thats worth 100$
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 14:49:47 »
So, in essence, there is no such thing as a Broken IN topre... only a Broken DOWN topre...

... I was so expecting you to say ERGO DOX  :rolleyes:

I don't blame you BTW. I wish I had waited for round 3 before getting my FC660C. Skint now so will have to save for round 4.

But as said Topre switches tend to get heavier over time as the rubber ages. I think there was an experiment done not too long ago... by Ripster in the name of keyboard science.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:08:38 »
What's the lifespan of a Topre?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:11:33 »
I want to try some old Topre Realforce Boards, where can I find them? Are they only available in Japan?

103U and 86U show up on eBay fairly often, you'll have to be a little patient.

You can always try yahoo.jp and amazon.jp but they require proxies AFAIK

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:34:59 »

they recently upgraded their specs to 50 million.

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:53:54 »

But would that apply only to new boards?

Or have they assessed the longevity of old boards and found them resilient?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 16:57:09 »

But would that apply only to new boards?

Or have they assessed the longevity of old boards and found them resilient?

It isn't like anything really changed. It sounds to me like a reassessment to better compete with Cherry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:14:26 »
Hooray - my HHKB should last even longer now :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline morpheus

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 19:52:36 »

Theoretically, if you were an average typist, how long would this be in years?

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:30:11 »
Suppose you type 75 words per minute constantly for 8 hours per day. I think an average word in English is about 5.3 characters. And further, let's assume that the most frequently pressed key gets hit about 1/5th of the time.
So the most common key gets pressed 75*5.3*60*8/5 = 38160 time per day. Taking 50,000,000 divided by this gives a little over 1310 days, or just under 3.6 years.
So, if your job consisted of pressing a key 75 times per minute for 8 hours straight per day, every day of the year, you'd wear that key out in about 3.6 years.

I just checked and the letter 'e', being most common in English is about 12.7% of all letters typed.

Also, at this rate, you'd be writing a 100,000 word novel in just under 2.8 days of work.

Anyway, for all practical purposes a long long time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:33:55 by DrinkTea »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 20:56:58 »
An interesting analysis.  I wondered about this, but couldn't be bothered doing the calculations.

Thank you for that ;)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 21:09:50 »
Wouldn't the effects of surrounding air (humidity, temperature, smoke) also affect the rubber independently of actuation, as mentioned here already?  So it wouldn't really be 50mil actuations, but a potentially shorter time period.  A combination of physical stress and deterioration of the rubber dome material in general.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 21:16:53 »
The same might be said for MX - under ideal conditions 50 million, but in extreme humidity or dust it would almost certainly be less.

Plus variations in switch manufacture would cause some switches to fail before others, up to the point where a keyboard would cost more to replace switches than to replace the entire keyboard.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 22:39:42 »
In it I have seen normal issue rubber dome keyboards used heavily on a daily bassis last longer than 5 years.  So I assume something to the level of a topre would last longer than that given the higher quality parts and the capacitive nature of the switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2013, 22:58:44 by Danule »
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 22:51:26 »
How old? Does it have to be a Realforce because the oldest Realforce you're gonna get will be 12 years. Some Topre OEM boards are much older. I have two Sony NEWS boards from the late 80s for example :)
They still work fine. Let me know if you need help buying from Japan. Not sure if you want an older board just because they're cheaper or if you wanna do some experiments.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 23:40:01 »
It's rated for actuations, guys. It doesn't mean the feel will remain the same all the time.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:54:11 »

50 million before they start to fail registering keystrokes. The feel changes to more linear much quicker. My 2 year old HHKB is mostly OK but some keys that are pressed and hold a lot (FN, Control, Meta, Alt) are noticeably lighter and almost linear.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl