Author Topic: ducky dk 9008g2 pro with PBT or filco?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline lilvaratep

ducky dk 9008g2 pro with PBT or filco?
« on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:43:11 »
Looking to get browns as my next switch, but I can't decide if its better to get the dk 9008g2 pro with dye-sub PBT key caps from mechanicalkeyboards.com or get a filco from keyboardco.com

Do the PBT keys make that much of a difference? I'm using a das ultimate blue mx right now and the key caps are really shiny and I don't like that...
I've read that FILCO makes greater quality boards. Is it much better to get the filco or ducky?
also if i get the filco, how much would it cost to get some nice pbt key caps and from where?

thanks guys.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: ducky dk 9008g2 pro with PBT or filco?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:44:57 »
ah... if you're going to get PBT   TODAY.....

Then get in on the Thick PBT..

The reason is.. the cherry profile makes for smoother key travel...

The PBT that are oem profile are not as smooth. to clarify i am talking about KEY PRESS, and not the surface texture of the cap.

Offline lilvaratep

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:45:54 »
ah... if you're going to get PBT   TODAY.....

Then get in on the Thick PBT..

The reason is.. the profile makes for smoother key travel...

are the pbt keycaps that come with the dk9008g2 pro from mechanicalkeyboards.com Thick? they're dye-sub but I'm not sure what that means.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:49:25 »
Those have OEM-profile keycaps, I believe.  If you are going to get a full-sized keyboard, I'd get one of those Ducky keyboards with dye sublimated thick PBT keycaps now.  They are limited edition.  Ducky board quality is just about as good as Filco's.  And the price for those Ducky boards is really good, considering the keycaps.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:51:20 »
I just picked up one of the ducky dye-sub boards, build quality is fantastic and a dream to type on, and like mentioned, they probably won't be around too much longer.  Hope this helps with your decision.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline lilvaratep

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:51:45 »
Those have OEM-profile keycaps, I believe.  If you are going to get a full-sized keyboard, I'd get one of those Ducky keyboards with dye sublimated thick PBT keycaps now.  They are limited edition.  Ducky board quality is just about as good as Filco's.  And the price for those Ducky boards is really good, considering the keycaps.

are these the ducky's you are talking about?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=474

that's the one i'm interested in the most because of the PBT. are these thick pbt key caps though?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:52:50 »

are these the ducky's you are talking about?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=474

that's the one i'm interested in the most because of the PBT. are these thick pbt key caps though?

yea that's it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:53:48 »
Yes, those are the ones.  They have thick PBT keycaps with dye sublimated legends, which means they won't wear out, and PBT won't develop shine with normal use.  I predict you'd be pleased with one of those Duckies.

Offline lilvaratep

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:54:29 »
ordering it right now then -=D.

thanks for making me broke guys.

anyone know how long it takes to ship out to cali?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:55:55 »
They have a subforum here if you have any specific questions:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=100.0

I think they ship pretty quickly.

I'd be buying one of those keyboards too if I didn't already own enough and didn't prefer smaller sizes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:56:26 »

wait wait wait... stop

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 21:59:25 »
The ducky keyboard base is Black,  that clashes tramendously with the light colored caps... the Grey colored caps do not clash, but Grey on Black gives a sense of dullness.

You're better off getting a keyboard with a different base color, and the caps separately from the Group buy..

if you don't think this through, you're going to really regret it,  or convince yourself to paint... which is way more trouble than thinking this through...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:01:33 »
The ducky keyboard base is Black,  that clashes tramendously with the light colored caps... the Grey colored caps do not clash, but Grey on Black gives a sense of dullness.

You're better off getting a keyboard with a different base color, and the caps separately from the Group buy..

if you don't think this through, you're going to really regret it,  or convince yourself to paint... which is way more trouble than thinking this through...

The case is very dark gray, according to reports.  He's not going to get better keycaps from group buys.  Certainly not OEM-profile thick dye sublimated PBT.  And he'll DEFINITELY spend more money on separate PBT keycaps ($80+) plus a keyboard ($100+).
You so crazy sometimes <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:06:14 »

The case is very dark gray, according to reports.  He's not going to get better keycaps from group buys.  Certainly not OEM-profile thick dye sublimated PBT.  And he'll DEFINITELY spend more money on separate PBT keycaps ($80+) plus a keyboard ($100+).
You so crazy sometimes <3

so $40 more dollars... but he'll avoid the color problems...  Trust me, it'll drive you insane that the colors don't look right..

And isn't it obvious,, those duckies don't look right...

Awful even...

Offline lilvaratep

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:09:50 »

I actually LIKE the idea of having a black base with light colored caps. Am I just wild? The keyboard will stand out and I love that. And the key caps don't look too bright except for the blue ones. But I use the keyboard mostly at night so I don't see the keyboard... unless I get the programming job I applied for and hopefully will be able to bring the keyboard in. is it bad to have a black base with bright caps?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:11:35 »
No, it's perfectly normal.  Most modern mechanical keyboards come with black cases, and most people here have some sort of a black case keyboard that they get colored caps for.  I do paint my cases, and it's not difficult, so if down the road you decided to paint, it shouldn't be that much trouble.  But if you like this combo already, I don't see it being an issue :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 22:12:16 »

I actually LIKE the idea of having a black base with light colored caps. Am I just wild? The keyboard will stand out and I love that. And the key caps don't look too bright except for the blue ones. But I use the keyboard mostly at night so I don't see the keyboard... unless I get the programming job I applied for and hopefully will be able to bring the keyboard in. is it bad to have a black base with bright caps?

no there's no fixed rule.

If you like it, you like it...

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:04:08 »
I'd do the the ducky with the blue and gray caps. It looks so pro. I'd have one rig now if they made it in a TKL or lefty.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 11:07:20 »
I'd do the the ducky with the blue and gray caps. It looks so pro. I'd have one rig now if they made it in a TKL or lefty.

How's it PRO....

Offline localstatic

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 12:10:39 »
They have a subforum here if you have any specific questions:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=100.0

I think they ship pretty quickly.

I'd be buying one of those keyboards too if I didn't already own enough and didn't prefer smaller sizes.

I ordered mine on Sunday and received it on Friday. They shipped it out within a day, IIRC. I'd guess that it would maybe take 1 more day to reach California than mine took to get to Utah, but that's just speculation on my part.
Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)
Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey & Blue (Cherry MX Brown)

Eventually: maybe a TKL with Cherry MX Blues

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 14:55:45 »

How's it PRO....

I guess it's more of a 3d app user's perspective.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 12:09:47 »
any tenkeyless versions?  i decided on a filco cause i couldnt find a tenkeyless.  the filco build quality is fanstastic.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline lilvaratep

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 16:22:41 »
any tenkeyless versions?  i decided on a filco cause i couldnt find a tenkeyless.  the filco build quality is fanstastic.

why is tkl so popular? and i thought i saw a TKL version but black cherries only
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&switch_id=ALL&size=Tenkeyless&man=1&key_plastic=PBT&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=46&y=10&in_stock=on

Offline knotra

• I ญญญ♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:35:58 »

i got the same board but with clears. its a really nice board and the thick pbts feel amazing. i got it shipped out to cali as well. it took about 3 business days with the free shipping option.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey